Leigh Town Council leading a campaign to get rid of dog mess

Leigh Town Council leading a campaign to get rid of dog mess

Leigh Town Council leading a campaign to get rid of dog mess

First published in News

LEIGH Town Council is leading a campaign to clear the town of dog mess.

The council is inundated with complaints about the problem and has produced a poster to encourage people to report it to Southend Council.

Carole Mulroney, chairman of the town council’s Leisure, Foreshore and Environment Committee and Good for Leigh Campaign, said: “This is one of the most complained about issues in the town. As always, it is a case of the few spoiling it for the many and I can see no earthly reason why the minority of dog owners who cause the problem cannot just bag it and bin it.

“It is disgusting, unsightly and a health hazard and we need to do what we can to rid the town of it.

“The problem is they need good evidence before action can be taken, so this message and the related poster are aimed at this.

“The poster will be going on the town council notice boards and the poster is being circulated over the next couple of weeks to various organisations such as doctors and vets for display.”

Recently, Pall Mall and the area near North Street Schools
has been particularly bad. If particular streets are suffering and residents can provide evidence which pinpoints any particular times, places or offenders they should report them to Southend Council at southend. gov.uk or call 01702 215006.

Comments (10)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:59pm Wed 29 Jan 14

Jack222 says...

What about all the cats who freely do it in everyone's backgarden and who get away with murdering birds and local wildlife? Can we have a campaign against them - any cat owner who lets a cat out without a bell on is an accomplice to murder after all..
What about all the cats who freely do it in everyone's backgarden and who get away with murdering birds and local wildlife? Can we have a campaign against them - any cat owner who lets a cat out without a bell on is an accomplice to murder after all.. Jack222
  • Score: -1

3:38pm Wed 29 Jan 14

DogsMessInLeigh says...

Wooooo Hoooo.. Dogs Mess In Leigh....fame at last.
Wooooo Hoooo.. Dogs Mess In Leigh....fame at last. DogsMessInLeigh
  • Score: 5

3:57pm Wed 29 Jan 14

pembury53 says...

"need good evidence to prosecute" funny how thousands of penalty charges are handed out up and down the country for dropping litter which can be small as sweet wrapper and takes a second to discard..... how much more obvious some chavs bone crunching mutt letting go a stinking great pile....... what they really mean is that they don't want the aggro associated with confronting these morons..... I predict the net result of this latest 'campaign' will be absolutely zero but would love to be very wrong......
"need good evidence to prosecute" funny how thousands of penalty charges are handed out up and down the country for dropping litter which can be small as sweet wrapper and takes a second to discard..... how much more obvious some chavs bone crunching mutt letting go a stinking great pile....... what they really mean is that they don't want the aggro associated with confronting these morons..... I predict the net result of this latest 'campaign' will be absolutely zero but would love to be very wrong...... pembury53
  • Score: 2

5:56pm Wed 29 Jan 14

DogsMessInLeigh says...

pembury53 wrote:
"need good evidence to prosecute" funny how thousands of penalty charges are handed out up and down the country for dropping litter which can be small as sweet wrapper and takes a second to discard..... how much more obvious some chavs bone crunching mutt letting go a stinking great pile....... what they really mean is that they don't want the aggro associated with confronting these morons..... I predict the net result of this latest 'campaign' will be absolutely zero but would love to be very wrong......
agreed, how many fines have been handed out over say 5 years..?....costs more to make the metal sign-age warning of fines for zero return and it deters No one, get patrols out in hot spots...and i don't mean 9-5 weekdays only a notice here and there will achieve nothing....hire a private company would be better.
[quote][p][bold]pembury53[/bold] wrote: "need good evidence to prosecute" funny how thousands of penalty charges are handed out up and down the country for dropping litter which can be small as sweet wrapper and takes a second to discard..... how much more obvious some chavs bone crunching mutt letting go a stinking great pile....... what they really mean is that they don't want the aggro associated with confronting these morons..... I predict the net result of this latest 'campaign' will be absolutely zero but would love to be very wrong......[/p][/quote]agreed, how many fines have been handed out over say 5 years..?....costs more to make the metal sign-age warning of fines for zero return and it deters No one, get patrols out in hot spots...and i don't mean 9-5 weekdays only a notice here and there will achieve nothing....hire a private company would be better. DogsMessInLeigh
  • Score: 1

6:57pm Wed 29 Jan 14

Kim Gandy says...

pembury53 wrote:
"need good evidence to prosecute" funny how thousands of penalty charges are handed out up and down the country for dropping litter which can be small as sweet wrapper and takes a second to discard..... how much more obvious some chavs bone crunching mutt letting go a stinking great pile....... what they really mean is that they don't want the aggro associated with confronting these morons..... I predict the net result of this latest 'campaign' will be absolutely zero but would love to be very wrong......
Have to concur with that view.

If I saw some dog unloading outside my back door I'd be photographing it and its owner.

It used to happen to me all the time where I used to live, years ago another part of Essex, some woman used to let her dog cr@p on my garden path. It was either mine or my neighbour's. And it was always early morning,

So one day I watched again as her revolting mutt flobbed all over my paving slabs then went down and scooped it up and plonked it on her doorstep.

I left a note through her door saying "just returning your parcel".

My - and other neighbours' - previous requests to her to refrain from letting her dog sh"t everywhere had fallen on deaf ears.

I don't recall it happening again after that.
[quote][p][bold]pembury53[/bold] wrote: "need good evidence to prosecute" funny how thousands of penalty charges are handed out up and down the country for dropping litter which can be small as sweet wrapper and takes a second to discard..... how much more obvious some chavs bone crunching mutt letting go a stinking great pile....... what they really mean is that they don't want the aggro associated with confronting these morons..... I predict the net result of this latest 'campaign' will be absolutely zero but would love to be very wrong......[/p][/quote]Have to concur with that view. If I saw some dog unloading outside my back door I'd be photographing it and its owner. It used to happen to me all the time where I used to live, years ago another part of Essex, some woman used to let her dog cr@p on my garden path. It was either mine or my neighbour's. And it was always early morning, So one day I watched again as her revolting mutt flobbed all over my paving slabs then went down and scooped it up and plonked it on her doorstep. I left a note through her door saying "just returning your parcel". My - and other neighbours' - previous requests to her to refrain from letting her dog sh"t everywhere had fallen on deaf ears. I don't recall it happening again after that. Kim Gandy
  • Score: 2

6:58pm Wed 29 Jan 14

Kim Gandy says...

DogsMessInLeigh wrote:
Wooooo Hoooo.. Dogs Mess In Leigh....fame at last.
Not something everyone would want to be famous for.. but I take your point ;)
[quote][p][bold]DogsMessInLeigh[/bold] wrote: Wooooo Hoooo.. Dogs Mess In Leigh....fame at last.[/p][/quote]Not something everyone would want to be famous for.. but I take your point ;) Kim Gandy
  • Score: 0

7:01pm Wed 29 Jan 14

Kim Gandy says...

I notice the dog fouling warning signs on the lamp posts... unfortunately the dogs can't read them at that height.
I notice the dog fouling warning signs on the lamp posts... unfortunately the dogs can't read them at that height. Kim Gandy
  • Score: 1

8:31pm Wed 29 Jan 14

ThisYear says...

DogsMessInLeigh wrote:
Wooooo Hoooo.. Dogs Mess In Leigh....fame at last.
Nows your time to s-s-s-shine
[quote][p][bold]DogsMessInLeigh[/bold] wrote: Wooooo Hoooo.. Dogs Mess In Leigh....fame at last.[/p][/quote]Nows your time to s-s-s-shine ThisYear
  • Score: 4

8:34pm Wed 29 Jan 14

ThisYear says...

No picture of a resident complainer pointing at a heap?
No picture of a resident complainer pointing at a heap? ThisYear
  • Score: 2

10:19pm Wed 29 Jan 14

Southchurchjon says...

Amazing really how those who live in Leigh and consider themselves so superior to the rest of the town just basically s**t on their own doorsteps!
Amazing really how those who live in Leigh and consider themselves so superior to the rest of the town just basically s**t on their own doorsteps! Southchurchjon
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree