Patient's anger at delays in treatment

Echo: Patient's anger at delays in treatment Patient's anger at delays in treatment

SOUTHEND Hospital is under fire from patients angry at delays in receiving treatment.

Latest figures show there has been a sharp rise in complaints to the hospital.

The most common complaints are over treatment times in Accident and Emergency.

In December there was a 72 per cent increase in complaints compared to the same month in 2012.

The emergency department also failed to meet its target of 95 per cent of patients being seen within four hours.

During December only 85.9 per cent were seen in the target time.

For the week ending December 8 it was at its lowest at 78 per cent but the worst performing day was Sunday December 8, when only 53 per cent were seen on time.

Ninety two people waited more than four hours for treatment.

The previous two months the target was met.

In a report to the board of directors it is noted that performance for the whole of the third quarter was 94.07 per cent.

Jon Findlay, chief operating officer at the hospital, apologised to patients and said systems were being put in place to address the situation.

He said: “December was a difficult month as whole for us in meeting our A&E target, which was due to a number of issues including high rates of staff sickness, surges of attendance at particular times and seeing higher numbers of patients with more serious illness who required greater degrees of care.

“We also introduced a new patient administration system across the hospital during this time which saw A&E transfer from a manual system to a fully electronic one – a big change for our staff to adapt to, which despite extensive support being in place, led to delays in patient flow.

A review of the main themes of complaints is to be started and directors will receive an update later this month.

The hospital is also working with the ambulance service to improve turnaround times and handover of patients as this continues to miss its targets.

Last month the Echo reported how on Sunday, January 19, ambulances were diverted from Southend to Basildon A&E as the hospital struggled to cope with the extra demand. The diversion was in place for half an hour.

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:44am Wed 5 Feb 14

Southend Andy says...

Far far far too many people go running to a&e for no reason, the NHS is under-staffed & under-funded.
Far far far too many people go running to a&e for no reason, the NHS is under-staffed & under-funded. Southend Andy
  • Score: 14

11:27am Wed 5 Feb 14

Happy Chickie says...

Southend Andy wrote:
Far far far too many people go running to a&e for no reason, the NHS is under-staffed & under-funded.
Ad far, far too many continually complain about everything and anything. I wonder if those who complained really needed to be at A&E when a local GP would have done.
[quote][p][bold]Southend Andy[/bold] wrote: Far far far too many people go running to a&e for no reason, the NHS is under-staffed & under-funded.[/p][/quote]Ad far, far too many continually complain about everything and anything. I wonder if those who complained really needed to be at A&E when a local GP would have done. Happy Chickie
  • Score: 13

1:25pm Wed 5 Feb 14

Barry Bas says...

Happy Chickie wrote:
Southend Andy wrote: Far far far too many people go running to a&e for no reason, the NHS is under-staffed & under-funded.
Ad far, far too many continually complain about everything and anything. I wonder if those who complained really needed to be at A&E when a local GP would have done.
I was thinking the same thing.

What's the betting that those that really shouldn't be in A&E for their minor ailments are the majority of complainers.
[quote][p][bold]Happy Chickie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Southend Andy[/bold] wrote: Far far far too many people go running to a&e for no reason, the NHS is under-staffed & under-funded.[/p][/quote]Ad far, far too many continually complain about everything and anything. I wonder if those who complained really needed to be at A&E when a local GP would have done.[/p][/quote]I was thinking the same thing. What's the betting that those that really shouldn't be in A&E for their minor ailments are the majority of complainers. Barry Bas
  • Score: 10

1:42pm Wed 5 Feb 14

bigmak says...

Taken to A & E at 23.00 on last Sunday evening with severe chest pains, seen within ten minutes, ECG and other tests taken immediately and admitted to ward straightaway.
Seen by doctor on ward and treatment started within minutes, followed by Consultant visit next morning nod now waiting for a dare for an operation.
Brilliant treatment by caring people! I have no complaints
Taken to A & E at 23.00 on last Sunday evening with severe chest pains, seen within ten minutes, ECG and other tests taken immediately and admitted to ward straightaway. Seen by doctor on ward and treatment started within minutes, followed by Consultant visit next morning nod now waiting for a dare for an operation. Brilliant treatment by caring people! I have no complaints bigmak
  • Score: 13

2:22pm Wed 5 Feb 14

You'dfeelbetterforknowingthat says...

Yes just one look at those poor souls, and you realise, they cannot be delayed too long, for they are needed, being so highly indispensable elsewhere, such as air traffic controllers, scientists, rocket inventors, oh and the unemployed and retired folk....
Yes just one look at those poor souls, and you realise, they cannot be delayed too long, for they are needed, being so highly indispensable elsewhere, such as air traffic controllers, scientists, rocket inventors, oh and the unemployed and retired folk.... You'dfeelbetterforknowingthat
  • Score: 1

4:53pm Wed 5 Feb 14

Keptquiettillnow says...

Is that right that there where 12 ambulances waiting outside A&E yesterday?
Is that right that there where 12 ambulances waiting outside A&E yesterday? Keptquiettillnow
  • Score: 1

5:45pm Wed 5 Feb 14

You'dfeelbetterforknowingthat says...

Keptquiettillnow wrote:
Is that right that there where 12 ambulances waiting outside A&E yesterday?
13 to be accurate, but alas only 3 drivers, it's used as a parking lot..
[quote][p][bold]Keptquiettillnow[/bold] wrote: Is that right that there where 12 ambulances waiting outside A&E yesterday?[/p][/quote]13 to be accurate, but alas only 3 drivers, it's used as a parking lot.. You'dfeelbetterforknowingthat
  • Score: 0

7:02pm Wed 5 Feb 14

runwellian says...

If there wasn't time turnover restriction ambulances wouldn't have to wait outside.
If the drunks were banned genuine patients would be seen quicker.

I have been to A&E three times in six weeks ... and needed admission ... But had the very best of care .... And I didn't mind the wait. Staff work has hard as they can and do their best. No matter how hard they work, the moaners will never be satisfied!
If there wasn't time turnover restriction ambulances wouldn't have to wait outside. If the drunks were banned genuine patients would be seen quicker. I have been to A&E three times in six weeks ... and needed admission ... But had the very best of care .... And I didn't mind the wait. Staff work has hard as they can and do their best. No matter how hard they work, the moaners will never be satisfied! runwellian
  • Score: 5

9:44pm Wed 5 Feb 14

RochfordRob says...

Since the 6th of December I've been MRI'd, Biopsied, screened, ECG'd, mapped and lined up for treatment on the 18th of this month.

The service and treatment has been outstanding. I was there overnight and came home this afternoon as part of the process. Place was spotless, comfortable and every member of staff excellent, professional and prompt.


And yes, I have been highly critical of the NHS in the past.

That said, a nurse told me they had three patients in last week who spent their time there being abusive, bad mannered and using profane language as though it were normal.

Sadly, moaners and sh*tbags get ill too.

I'd take this 'survey' with a bushel of salt as I'd guess that the vast numbers of those attending with 'emergencies' really do not need to be there.
Since the 6th of December I've been MRI'd, Biopsied, screened, ECG'd, mapped and lined up for treatment on the 18th of this month. The service and treatment has been outstanding. I was there overnight and came home this afternoon as part of the process. Place was spotless, comfortable and every member of staff excellent, professional and prompt. And yes, I have been highly critical of the NHS in the past. That said, a nurse told me they had three patients in last week who spent their time there being abusive, bad mannered and using profane language as though it were normal. Sadly, moaners and sh*tbags get ill too. I'd take this 'survey' with a bushel of salt as I'd guess that the vast numbers of those attending with 'emergencies' really do not need to be there. RochfordRob
  • Score: 6

6:07am Thu 6 Feb 14

Keptquiettillnow says...

You'dfeelbetterforkn
owingthat
wrote:
Keptquiettillnow wrote:
Is that right that there where 12 ambulances waiting outside A&E yesterday?
13 to be accurate, but alas only 3 drivers, it's used as a parking lot..
Nothing beats a bit of spin
[quote][p][bold]You'dfeelbetterforkn owingthat[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Keptquiettillnow[/bold] wrote: Is that right that there where 12 ambulances waiting outside A&E yesterday?[/p][/quote]13 to be accurate, but alas only 3 drivers, it's used as a parking lot..[/p][/quote]Nothing beats a bit of spin Keptquiettillnow
  • Score: 1

7:01am Thu 6 Feb 14

Happy Chickie says...

Barry Bas wrote:
Happy Chickie wrote:
Southend Andy wrote: Far far far too many people go running to a&e for no reason, the NHS is under-staffed & under-funded.
Ad far, far too many continually complain about everything and anything. I wonder if those who complained really needed to be at A&E when a local GP would have done.
I was thinking the same thing.

What's the betting that those that really shouldn't be in A&E for their minor ailments are the majority of complainers.
Oh for sure. I picked up a friend from A&E once and there were people there with a cut fingers looking for treatment. Wasters like that should be charged for their treatment.
[quote][p][bold]Barry Bas[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Happy Chickie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Southend Andy[/bold] wrote: Far far far too many people go running to a&e for no reason, the NHS is under-staffed & under-funded.[/p][/quote]Ad far, far too many continually complain about everything and anything. I wonder if those who complained really needed to be at A&E when a local GP would have done.[/p][/quote]I was thinking the same thing. What's the betting that those that really shouldn't be in A&E for their minor ailments are the majority of complainers.[/p][/quote]Oh for sure. I picked up a friend from A&E once and there were people there with a cut fingers looking for treatment. Wasters like that should be charged for their treatment. Happy Chickie
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree