A TEENAGE girl almost died after downing neat vodka while taking part in a terrifying internet craze sweeping social network sites.
Megan Lister, 16, was rushed to hospital after downing the spirit during a NekNominate dare – a Facebook craze believed to be behind the recent deaths of five people, including Isaac Richardson, 20, from Colchester.
Her mother, Dawn Marie Lister, 43, from Leigh, has spoken out to warn other parents about the terrible dangers the craze is posing for youngsters.
She explained she was out for Sunday lunch with her partner, Mark Goodson, 52,when they got a frantic call to go home.
She said: “Megan’s friend called asking us to go home because she had gone a bit loopy.
We rushed back to find she had drunk the best part of a big bottle of vodka.
“She was running out in the street screaming “I want to die”.
She threw a plate at someone, cut herself with a knife and trashed the bathroom.
“She completely flipped out.”
The frantic couple, who have six children between them, called Southend Hospital and were told to take her straight in.
Ablood test six hours after she was admitted found she was still three times over the legal drinkdrive limit.
Doctors, who told Megan she was lucky to be alive, kept her in until Monday evening.
Now back home and still recovering, the Seevic health and social care student has agreed for her story to be told in order to warn other young people.
Miss Lister, a yoga teacher, said: “Her friend had stayed overnight and the girl’s boyfriend had “nominated” her to drink the vodka, but she refused and instead nominated Megan – and she stupidly did it.
It was such a stupid thing to do.
“I thought I knew my kids. I know they have a social life and they drink a little bit, but no matter how much stuff you think they are doing, no matter how good your relationship is with your kids, I want people to know they are doing stuff you don’t know about!
“I want people to know how dangerous this is and if it helps to save someone’s life then it needs to be told.”
Hospital advises excess alcohol is dangerous
THE NekNomination craze is judged to be particularly dangerous, because of the twin elements of lowered inhibitions coupled with peer pressure.
Young people can be particularly susceptible to the effects of alcohol, but just two drinks can render an adult legally intoxicated.
The extent to which a person becomes inebriated will depend on age, gender, alcohol tolerance and the amount of food in the stomach The body metabolises an average drink in one hour, so downing vast amounts of neat spirits quickly will lead to alcohol poisoning.
Southend Hospital says it is yet to see high numbers of people admitted because of the craze, but it warned of the effects of binge drinking.
Caroline Howard, A&E consultant said: “Southend Hospital’s A&E department has not seen an overall increase in numbers because of NekNominate, but there have been a few cases of both adults and children requiring admission due to alcohol poisoning.
“The effects of severe alcohol intoxication are often under estimated.
It can result in severe, life -threatening effects and deaths do occur every year. Alcohol is a poison and excess amounts may cause serious medical harm.”
Facebook craze has already claimed lives
NEKNOMINATION is an online craze, thought to have originated in Perth, Australia, in which drinkers post videos of themselves downing alcohol in a series of outrageous stunts.
They then nominate their friends on social media to repeat the dare. The craze has its own dedicated Facebook site.
Isaac Richardson, 20, from Colchester, is understood to have drunk a mix of more than two pints of wine, vodka, whisky and lager while he was being filmed by friends.
He collapsed shortly after drinking the almost three-pint pitcher.
Those who encourage others to drink lethal quantities have been warned they could face manslaughter charges.
The warning followed the death of Stephen Brookes, 29, who downed a pint of vodka as a result of a NekNomination challenge. His death is being investigated by South Wales Police.
A 20-year-old Nottingham man, Bradley Eames, died after downing two pints of gin.
Other recent deaths linked to the craze include Irish teenager Jonny Byrne, from Carlow, who jumped into a river midway through a challenge.
His death in February came a day after 22-year-old Ross Cummins died in Dublin City Centre.