Hear the latest news on Olympic legacy plans for Hadleigh

Have your say on the future of Hadleigh Farm

Have your say on the future of Hadleigh Farm

First published in News
Last updated

RESIDENTS are being invited to come and hear the latest news on the Olympic legacy plans for Hadleigh Farm and Country Park.

Essex County Council is holding a public meeting on their £6.8million proposals to transform the park off Chapel Lane into a top tourist attraction now the Games are over.

The ambitious plans include adapting the Olympic mountain biking track for public use and creating a new community hub including a bike hire shop, cafe and visitor centre.

Now residents will be able to find out how the development is progressing at a drop-in session at Hadleigh Old Fire Station in High Street.

Officers from the county council’s legacy team will be on hand to speak to residents about the plans and listen to any concerns.

Contractors Hugh Pearl began work on the new 18km of trails through the country park in October.

Work to tear down derelict buildings on the site to make way for the new hub is set to commence this week.

The drop-in session will take place from 2pm to 7pm on Wednesday (Feb 26).

For more information visit http://www.essexlegacy.org/news

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:12pm Mon 24 Feb 14

andy:) says...

I was under the impression that everything had been decided and there isn't going to be many changes at this late stage, so 'Have you say' appears a bit misleading.

As a keen biker I'm all for it but I'm aware there are some moaning nimbys who are not.

Its a pity that considering the track was built in 2010 that it will be 5 years since Joe Public can actually get on it, still I'm looking forward to the day when it is completed.
I was under the impression that everything had been decided and there isn't going to be many changes at this late stage, so 'Have you say' appears a bit misleading. As a keen biker I'm all for it but I'm aware there are some moaning nimbys who are not. Its a pity that considering the track was built in 2010 that it will be 5 years since Joe Public can actually get on it, still I'm looking forward to the day when it is completed. andy:)
  • Score: 1

4:19pm Mon 24 Feb 14

Howard Cháse says...

andy:) wrote:
I was under the impression that everything had been decided and there isn't going to be many changes at this late stage, so 'Have you say' appears a bit misleading.

As a keen biker I'm all for it but I'm aware there are some moaning nimbys who are not.

Its a pity that considering the track was built in 2010 that it will be 5 years since Joe Public can actually get on it, still I'm looking forward to the day when it is completed.
Like you I was under the imoression that this had already been decided. Indeed several reports in this very newspaper have said as much.

About time it was opened to the public or where else will this much touted Olympic Legacy appear?
[quote][p][bold]andy:)[/bold] wrote: I was under the impression that everything had been decided and there isn't going to be many changes at this late stage, so 'Have you say' appears a bit misleading. As a keen biker I'm all for it but I'm aware there are some moaning nimbys who are not. Its a pity that considering the track was built in 2010 that it will be 5 years since Joe Public can actually get on it, still I'm looking forward to the day when it is completed.[/p][/quote]Like you I was under the imoression that this had already been decided. Indeed several reports in this very newspaper have said as much. About time it was opened to the public or where else will this much touted Olympic Legacy appear? Howard Cháse
  • Score: 3

4:28pm Mon 24 Feb 14

Keptquiettillnow says...

Should open it up for dog walkers. Its unfair there is a green field that I can not walk my dog on.
Should open it up for dog walkers. Its unfair there is a green field that I can not walk my dog on. Keptquiettillnow
  • Score: -7

4:59pm Mon 24 Feb 14

jolllyboy says...

Dogs, bikes, buildings - what about the children and pedestrians - another green space interfered with. It may have lots to do but the youngsters dont know what is 'virgin' green belt.
Dogs, bikes, buildings - what about the children and pedestrians - another green space interfered with. It may have lots to do but the youngsters dont know what is 'virgin' green belt. jolllyboy
  • Score: -3

5:30pm Mon 24 Feb 14

Letmetryagain says...

I just hope they don't ruin the area, in a bid to "Open it up".

Up until now it has been a lovely place to go for a walk, ending up at the Sally Ann tearooms for refreshments. We were over there one day last year,
and it was so quiet you could hear the proverbial pin drop. It's one of the few peaceful area to go for a walk.

Please don't spoil it.
I just hope they don't ruin the area, in a bid to "Open it up". Up until now it has been a lovely place to go for a walk, ending up at the Sally Ann tearooms for refreshments. We were over there one day last year, and it was so quiet you could hear the proverbial pin drop. It's one of the few peaceful area to go for a walk. Please don't spoil it. Letmetryagain
  • Score: 0

5:54pm Mon 24 Feb 14

Eric the Red says...

Keptquiettillnow wrote:
Should open it up for dog walkers. Its unfair there is a green field that I can not walk my dog on.
Plenty of space for you to empty your dog, mate!
[quote][p][bold]Keptquiettillnow[/bold] wrote: Should open it up for dog walkers. Its unfair there is a green field that I can not walk my dog on.[/p][/quote]Plenty of space for you to empty your dog, mate! Eric the Red
  • Score: 3

6:13pm Mon 24 Feb 14

Kim Gandy says...

No mention whatsoever of the castle ruins of course.

Every time I've been there, there are always some ignoramuses climbing up the walls - kids climbing right up to the arrowslits and window openings. Funny thing is , the first time one of them falls off, the parents will be claiming compensation.

I don't know where this track is but I hope it is being kept away from the castle walls, many of which have cracked and fallen into the undergrowth nearby. And many of the footpaths criss-cross these. It may be a ruin but it's part of our heritage and is quite iconic, positioned as it is on the Gateway to England, facing the mouth of the Thames.

It's lovely to walk the circular route from the golf range, across the railway line and down by the castle and back into Leigh by the station. There are cattle in the field down there sometimes, there is also a delicate ecosystem, there are all kinds of wildflowers and the place comes alive in spring.

There are grass snakes and adders and there is also the wetland area nearby.

There is even a field that, when it has been ploughed reveals the contents of an old Victorian bottle dump.

It's a great place for a discovery walk, or just for photography or a picnic.

I will not be accused of being a NIMBY because I enjoy the peace and quiet of one of the few bits of countryside and coastline we have left. I don't want to tread in dog cr@p, neither do I want lycra clad bikers whizzing past me.

I go there to get away from all of that and so do lots of other people. Especially in the summer with families enjoying a picnic by the castle ruins. As I say, it's great as long as numpties aren't defacing it or climbing all over it.

Sometimes there is a really good argument for leaving things as they are but I doubt in this case they will be because there are too many selfish people these days wanting it all their own way - and plenty of entrepeneurs and developers ready to create yet another monstrosity of a theme park to pander to them.

I'm sure it won't just stop at a cycle track.

The adjacent wetland area is a SSSI and RSPB reserve and the creeks are fascinating places to explore. The whole place is a natural adventure for kids. Makes a change from endless XBox and other less edifying occupations.

Just for once, it would be nice for those of us who enjoy some peace and quiet and an escape from the usual rat race, to actually be listened to.
No mention whatsoever of the castle ruins of course. Every time I've been there, there are always some ignoramuses climbing up the walls - kids climbing right up to the arrowslits and window openings. Funny thing is , the first time one of them falls off, the parents will be claiming compensation. I don't know where this track is but I hope it is being kept away from the castle walls, many of which have cracked and fallen into the undergrowth nearby. And many of the footpaths criss-cross these. It may be a ruin but it's part of our heritage and is quite iconic, positioned as it is on the Gateway to England, facing the mouth of the Thames. It's lovely to walk the circular route from the golf range, across the railway line and down by the castle and back into Leigh by the station. There are cattle in the field down there sometimes, there is also a delicate ecosystem, there are all kinds of wildflowers and the place comes alive in spring. There are grass snakes and adders and there is also the wetland area nearby. There is even a field that, when it has been ploughed reveals the contents of an old Victorian bottle dump. It's a great place for a discovery walk, or just for photography or a picnic. I will not be accused of being a NIMBY because I enjoy the peace and quiet of one of the few bits of countryside and coastline we have left. I don't want to tread in dog cr@p, neither do I want lycra clad bikers whizzing past me. I go there to get away from all of that and so do lots of other people. Especially in the summer with families enjoying a picnic by the castle ruins. As I say, it's great as long as numpties aren't defacing it or climbing all over it. Sometimes there is a really good argument for leaving things as they are but I doubt in this case they will be because there are too many selfish people these days wanting it all their own way - and plenty of entrepeneurs and developers ready to create yet another monstrosity of a theme park to pander to them. I'm sure it won't just stop at a cycle track. The adjacent wetland area is a SSSI and RSPB reserve and the creeks are fascinating places to explore. The whole place is a natural adventure for kids. Makes a change from endless XBox and other less edifying occupations. Just for once, it would be nice for those of us who enjoy some peace and quiet and an escape from the usual rat race, to actually be listened to. Kim Gandy
  • Score: 2

6:46pm Mon 24 Feb 14

Howard Cháse says...

Kim Gandy wrote:
No mention whatsoever of the castle ruins of course.

Every time I've been there, there are always some ignoramuses climbing up the walls - kids climbing right up to the arrowslits and window openings. Funny thing is , the first time one of them falls off, the parents will be claiming compensation.

I don't know where this track is but I hope it is being kept away from the castle walls, many of which have cracked and fallen into the undergrowth nearby. And many of the footpaths criss-cross these. It may be a ruin but it's part of our heritage and is quite iconic, positioned as it is on the Gateway to England, facing the mouth of the Thames.

It's lovely to walk the circular route from the golf range, across the railway line and down by the castle and back into Leigh by the station. There are cattle in the field down there sometimes, there is also a delicate ecosystem, there are all kinds of wildflowers and the place comes alive in spring.

There are grass snakes and adders and there is also the wetland area nearby.

There is even a field that, when it has been ploughed reveals the contents of an old Victorian bottle dump.

It's a great place for a discovery walk, or just for photography or a picnic.

I will not be accused of being a NIMBY because I enjoy the peace and quiet of one of the few bits of countryside and coastline we have left. I don't want to tread in dog cr@p, neither do I want lycra clad bikers whizzing past me.

I go there to get away from all of that and so do lots of other people. Especially in the summer with families enjoying a picnic by the castle ruins. As I say, it's great as long as numpties aren't defacing it or climbing all over it.

Sometimes there is a really good argument for leaving things as they are but I doubt in this case they will be because there are too many selfish people these days wanting it all their own way - and plenty of entrepeneurs and developers ready to create yet another monstrosity of a theme park to pander to them.

I'm sure it won't just stop at a cycle track.

The adjacent wetland area is a SSSI and RSPB reserve and the creeks are fascinating places to explore. The whole place is a natural adventure for kids. Makes a change from endless XBox and other less edifying occupations.

Just for once, it would be nice for those of us who enjoy some peace and quiet and an escape from the usual rat race, to actually be listened to.
The Olympic Mountain Bike Course is not close enough to the castle ruins to make any great dicference to it. In fact it is mostly on land owned by the Salvation Army and is for the most part inaccesible to casual users/walkers inthe public areas.
[quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: No mention whatsoever of the castle ruins of course. Every time I've been there, there are always some ignoramuses climbing up the walls - kids climbing right up to the arrowslits and window openings. Funny thing is , the first time one of them falls off, the parents will be claiming compensation. I don't know where this track is but I hope it is being kept away from the castle walls, many of which have cracked and fallen into the undergrowth nearby. And many of the footpaths criss-cross these. It may be a ruin but it's part of our heritage and is quite iconic, positioned as it is on the Gateway to England, facing the mouth of the Thames. It's lovely to walk the circular route from the golf range, across the railway line and down by the castle and back into Leigh by the station. There are cattle in the field down there sometimes, there is also a delicate ecosystem, there are all kinds of wildflowers and the place comes alive in spring. There are grass snakes and adders and there is also the wetland area nearby. There is even a field that, when it has been ploughed reveals the contents of an old Victorian bottle dump. It's a great place for a discovery walk, or just for photography or a picnic. I will not be accused of being a NIMBY because I enjoy the peace and quiet of one of the few bits of countryside and coastline we have left. I don't want to tread in dog cr@p, neither do I want lycra clad bikers whizzing past me. I go there to get away from all of that and so do lots of other people. Especially in the summer with families enjoying a picnic by the castle ruins. As I say, it's great as long as numpties aren't defacing it or climbing all over it. Sometimes there is a really good argument for leaving things as they are but I doubt in this case they will be because there are too many selfish people these days wanting it all their own way - and plenty of entrepeneurs and developers ready to create yet another monstrosity of a theme park to pander to them. I'm sure it won't just stop at a cycle track. The adjacent wetland area is a SSSI and RSPB reserve and the creeks are fascinating places to explore. The whole place is a natural adventure for kids. Makes a change from endless XBox and other less edifying occupations. Just for once, it would be nice for those of us who enjoy some peace and quiet and an escape from the usual rat race, to actually be listened to.[/p][/quote]The Olympic Mountain Bike Course is not close enough to the castle ruins to make any great dicference to it. In fact it is mostly on land owned by the Salvation Army and is for the most part inaccesible to casual users/walkers inthe public areas. Howard Cháse
  • Score: 3

7:05pm Mon 24 Feb 14

John T Pharro says...

Shame they didn't make up a proper footpath/cycle track from Benfleet to Leigh along by Benfleet Creek. That would have been a legacy many people could enjoy instead of just mountain bikers and all year round. Even make it possible for people who work in Southend to cycle safely. In Holland it would have been done years ago.
Shame they didn't make up a proper footpath/cycle track from Benfleet to Leigh along by Benfleet Creek. That would have been a legacy many people could enjoy instead of just mountain bikers and all year round. Even make it possible for people who work in Southend to cycle safely. In Holland it would have been done years ago. John T Pharro
  • Score: 8

6:02am Tue 25 Feb 14

Keptquiettillnow says...

John T Pharro wrote:
Shame they didn't make up a proper footpath/cycle track from Benfleet to Leigh along by Benfleet Creek. That would have been a legacy many people could enjoy instead of just mountain bikers and all year round. Even make it possible for people who work in Southend to cycle safely. In Holland it would have been done years ago.
Nail on the head John. Its unthinkable that an Olympic cycling venue has no proper infrastructure for cycling to and from the venue.
Like you say that would have been a proper legacy, instead we got a statue in the middle of a roundabout.
[quote][p][bold]John T Pharro[/bold] wrote: Shame they didn't make up a proper footpath/cycle track from Benfleet to Leigh along by Benfleet Creek. That would have been a legacy many people could enjoy instead of just mountain bikers and all year round. Even make it possible for people who work in Southend to cycle safely. In Holland it would have been done years ago.[/p][/quote]Nail on the head John. Its unthinkable that an Olympic cycling venue has no proper infrastructure for cycling to and from the venue. Like you say that would have been a proper legacy, instead we got a statue in the middle of a roundabout. Keptquiettillnow
  • Score: 1

7:48am Tue 25 Feb 14

DogsMessInLeigh says...

"neither do I want lycra clad bikers whizzing past me".


i will give you a wave when i whizz past, down through the small hadleigh carpark at the entrance....down...t
hen up to the peak....then down (best bit)..then across the fields and train track along the river wall in to leigh, lots of tracks/routes and oppertunities for bikes, really looking forward to the new laid out routes and the real bike track, Man we are so lucky to have it on the doorstep.
"neither do I want lycra clad bikers whizzing past me". i will give you a wave when i whizz past, down through the small hadleigh carpark at the entrance....down...t hen up to the peak....then down (best bit)..then across the fields and train track along the river wall in to leigh, lots of tracks/routes and oppertunities for bikes, really looking forward to the new laid out routes and the real bike track, Man we are so lucky to have it on the doorstep. DogsMessInLeigh
  • Score: 1

7:52am Tue 25 Feb 14

DogsMessInLeigh says...

John T Pharro wrote:
Shame they didn't make up a proper footpath/cycle track from Benfleet to Leigh along by Benfleet Creek. That would have been a legacy many people could enjoy instead of just mountain bikers and all year round. Even make it possible for people who work in Southend to cycle safely. In Holland it would have been done years ago.
yes i have often thought about that when i am going along it....of course i'm alright jack on my MTB, but a good hard standing route would be excellent, canvey/benfleet to leigh/southend a cycle route all the way for standard bikes.
[quote][p][bold]John T Pharro[/bold] wrote: Shame they didn't make up a proper footpath/cycle track from Benfleet to Leigh along by Benfleet Creek. That would have been a legacy many people could enjoy instead of just mountain bikers and all year round. Even make it possible for people who work in Southend to cycle safely. In Holland it would have been done years ago.[/p][/quote]yes i have often thought about that when i am going along it....of course i'm alright jack on my MTB, but a good hard standing route would be excellent, canvey/benfleet to leigh/southend a cycle route all the way for standard bikes. DogsMessInLeigh
  • Score: 1

8:00am Tue 25 Feb 14

pembury53 says...

DogsMessInLeigh wrote:
"neither do I want lycra clad bikers whizzing past me". i will give you a wave when i whizz past, down through the small hadleigh carpark at the entrance....down...t hen up to the peak....then down (best bit)..then across the fields and train track along the river wall in to leigh, lots of tracks/routes and oppertunities for bikes, really looking forward to the new laid out routes and the real bike track, Man we are so lucky to have it on the doorstep.
ditto to all that, although i remember in the legacy plans there was mention of 'managed segregation' and i don't see much evidence of that over there yet..... don't want to be dodging walkers and dogs all day, particularly if the predicted number of visitors actually materialises..... only time will tell
[quote][p][bold]DogsMessInLeigh[/bold] wrote: "neither do I want lycra clad bikers whizzing past me". i will give you a wave when i whizz past, down through the small hadleigh carpark at the entrance....down...t hen up to the peak....then down (best bit)..then across the fields and train track along the river wall in to leigh, lots of tracks/routes and oppertunities for bikes, really looking forward to the new laid out routes and the real bike track, Man we are so lucky to have it on the doorstep.[/p][/quote]ditto to all that, although i remember in the legacy plans there was mention of 'managed segregation' and i don't see much evidence of that over there yet..... don't want to be dodging walkers and dogs all day, particularly if the predicted number of visitors actually materialises..... only time will tell pembury53
  • Score: 0

8:05am Tue 25 Feb 14

pembury53 says...

Letmetryagain wrote:
I just hope they don't ruin the area, in a bid to "Open it up". Up until now it has been a lovely place to go for a walk, ending up at the Sally Ann tearooms for refreshments. We were over there one day last year, and it was so quiet you could hear the proverbial pin drop. It's one of the few peaceful area to go for a walk. Please don't spoil it.
I recal the predicted visitor numbers when complete was in the 100's of thousands annually..... no idea where they get those numbers, but if true i don't think you'll be hearing too many pins.......
[quote][p][bold]Letmetryagain[/bold] wrote: I just hope they don't ruin the area, in a bid to "Open it up". Up until now it has been a lovely place to go for a walk, ending up at the Sally Ann tearooms for refreshments. We were over there one day last year, and it was so quiet you could hear the proverbial pin drop. It's one of the few peaceful area to go for a walk. Please don't spoil it.[/p][/quote]I recal the predicted visitor numbers when complete was in the 100's of thousands annually..... no idea where they get those numbers, but if true i don't think you'll be hearing too many pins....... pembury53
  • Score: 0

12:41pm Tue 25 Feb 14

Ian P says...

John T Pharro wrote:
Shame they didn't make up a proper footpath/cycle track from Benfleet to Leigh along by Benfleet Creek. That would have been a legacy many people could enjoy instead of just mountain bikers and all year round. Even make it possible for people who work in Southend to cycle safely. In Holland it would have been done years ago.
A few years ago my wife and I would cycle along a reasonable pathway by the creek. A pathway that started between the golf range and the bridge onto two tree. While we never actually cycled into Benfleet we regularly cycled three quarters of the way before turning round. As far as I am aware this pathway did actually go all the way to the bridge at Benfleet and I assume it is still there.
[quote][p][bold]John T Pharro[/bold] wrote: Shame they didn't make up a proper footpath/cycle track from Benfleet to Leigh along by Benfleet Creek. That would have been a legacy many people could enjoy instead of just mountain bikers and all year round. Even make it possible for people who work in Southend to cycle safely. In Holland it would have been done years ago.[/p][/quote]A few years ago my wife and I would cycle along a reasonable pathway by the creek. A pathway that started between the golf range and the bridge onto two tree. While we never actually cycled into Benfleet we regularly cycled three quarters of the way before turning round. As far as I am aware this pathway did actually go all the way to the bridge at Benfleet and I assume it is still there. Ian P
  • Score: 0

4:24pm Tue 25 Feb 14

carnmountyouknowitmakessense says...

Ian P wrote:
John T Pharro wrote:
Shame they didn't make up a proper footpath/cycle track from Benfleet to Leigh along by Benfleet Creek. That would have been a legacy many people could enjoy instead of just mountain bikers and all year round. Even make it possible for people who work in Southend to cycle safely. In Holland it would have been done years ago.
A few years ago my wife and I would cycle along a reasonable pathway by the creek. A pathway that started between the golf range and the bridge onto two tree. While we never actually cycled into Benfleet we regularly cycled three quarters of the way before turning round. As far as I am aware this pathway did actually go all the way to the bridge at Benfleet and I assume it is still there.
Oh yes I often cycle along that path all the way from Leigh to Benfleet, however, you need a mountain bike with hefty tyres, as the path is topped with large rocks, makes for an uncomfy ride, but better than nothing.
[quote][p][bold]Ian P[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]John T Pharro[/bold] wrote: Shame they didn't make up a proper footpath/cycle track from Benfleet to Leigh along by Benfleet Creek. That would have been a legacy many people could enjoy instead of just mountain bikers and all year round. Even make it possible for people who work in Southend to cycle safely. In Holland it would have been done years ago.[/p][/quote]A few years ago my wife and I would cycle along a reasonable pathway by the creek. A pathway that started between the golf range and the bridge onto two tree. While we never actually cycled into Benfleet we regularly cycled three quarters of the way before turning round. As far as I am aware this pathway did actually go all the way to the bridge at Benfleet and I assume it is still there.[/p][/quote]Oh yes I often cycle along that path all the way from Leigh to Benfleet, however, you need a mountain bike with hefty tyres, as the path is topped with large rocks, makes for an uncomfy ride, but better than nothing. carnmountyouknowitmakessense
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree