Drivers will be left in the dark on A13

Drivers will be left in the dark on A13

Drivers will be left in the dark on A13

First published in News by

THE stretch of the A13 leading to the busy Sadlers Farm roundabout will be plunged into darkness in the early hours of the morning from the end of March.

Essex County Council, which has been switching off the lights across the county to save money, will turn them off between midnight and 5am between the Five Bells roundabout (A176) and Sadlers Farm roundabout (A130).

The part-night lighting scheme will begin on Sunday, March 30, with all lights on the stretch of road extinguished.

Many residents and businesses have reacted with frustration since the lights went out in Castle Point last month, with concerns raised over a possible increase in the amount of crime and fears about going out after dark.

Denise Briggenshaw, 46, of The Upway, Basildon, said: “This is absolute madness.

“When it is pitch black and cars are driving towards you the lights completely blind you. You simply cannot see what is in front of you.

“It is just a sham – especially as the scheme is costing so much to implement anyway.

“I have been driving since I was 19, but I won’t be using this stretch of road anymore.”

All major junctions will remain lit during the one-year trial period. At the end of this time, County Hall will agree to continue to the end of the two-year trial period or abandon the trial on the A13 and A127.

County Hall is aiming to save up to £1million a year by introducing the scheme, which has also been introduced in Chelmsford, Braintree, Basildon, Colchester, Epping Forest, Rochford, Tendring, Brentwood and Harlow and on the A127.

Comments (47)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:02am Wed 12 Mar 14

Chris Flunk says...

How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.
How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving. Chris Flunk
  • Score: 58

8:06am Wed 12 Mar 14

pembury53 says...

Chris Flunk wrote:
How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.
well said mate..... there's a switch on the dash called 'lights'
[quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.[/p][/quote]well said mate..... there's a switch on the dash called 'lights' pembury53
  • Score: 28

8:37am Wed 12 Mar 14

No1 Shoplifter says...

I agree with the above. But I don't agree with all the other lights being switched off in residential areas. When I'm cycling home pi55ed after a night out I can't see a thing.
I agree with the above. But I don't agree with all the other lights being switched off in residential areas. When I'm cycling home pi55ed after a night out I can't see a thing. No1 Shoplifter
  • Score: 6

8:47am Wed 12 Mar 14

BenfleetBarrel says...

“I have been driving since I was 19, but I won’t be using this stretch of road anymore.”

I bet that comment will force the council to have a rethink on their policy.
“I have been driving since I was 19, but I won’t be using this stretch of road anymore.” I bet that comment will force the council to have a rethink on their policy. BenfleetBarrel
  • Score: 23

9:19am Wed 12 Mar 14

stopmoaning1 says...

THE stretch of the A13 leading to the busy Sadlers Farm roundabout will be plunged into darkness in the early hours of the morning from the end of March.

Is this another example of the Echo's sensationalism reporting of a non story?

So the lights will be switched off on a stretch of road 'approaching' a junction that will still have lights on and is not busy at these times.
THE stretch of the A13 leading to the busy Sadlers Farm roundabout will be plunged into darkness in the early hours of the morning from the end of March. Is this another example of the Echo's sensationalism reporting of a non story? So the lights will be switched off on a stretch of road 'approaching' a junction that will still have lights on and is not busy at these times. stopmoaning1
  • Score: 28

9:24am Wed 12 Mar 14

stopmoaning1 says...

“I have been driving since I was 19, but I won’t be using this stretch of road anymore.”

That's a bit extreme! If you feel so strongly about this why not just boycott the stretch of road between midnight and 5am if you don't like driving in the dark?
“I have been driving since I was 19, but I won’t be using this stretch of road anymore.” That's a bit extreme! If you feel so strongly about this why not just boycott the stretch of road between midnight and 5am if you don't like driving in the dark? stopmoaning1
  • Score: 27

9:48am Wed 12 Mar 14

Kim Gandy says...

Chris Flunk wrote:
How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.
This is not the point.

People who work in the night time economy often have to walk home on stretches of unlit road.

At the Pitsea Community Panel meeting last night it was mentioned that a young woman has had to give up her job because she has to walk home in the dark.

Most people these days can't afford taxi fares.

I was speaking to a tradesman last week, who now has to empty his van every night because he is afraid it will be broken into under cover of darkness.

Why should people be inconvenienced?

As for driving in the dark, that's fine. But some people have no choice but to WALK down dark streets.
[quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.[/p][/quote]This is not the point. People who work in the night time economy often have to walk home on stretches of unlit road. At the Pitsea Community Panel meeting last night it was mentioned that a young woman has had to give up her job because she has to walk home in the dark. Most people these days can't afford taxi fares. I was speaking to a tradesman last week, who now has to empty his van every night because he is afraid it will be broken into under cover of darkness. Why should people be inconvenienced? As for driving in the dark, that's fine. But some people have no choice but to WALK down dark streets. Kim Gandy
  • Score: -19

9:52am Wed 12 Mar 14

Chris Flunk says...

Kim Gandy wrote:
Chris Flunk wrote:
How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.
This is not the point.

People who work in the night time economy often have to walk home on stretches of unlit road.

At the Pitsea Community Panel meeting last night it was mentioned that a young woman has had to give up her job because she has to walk home in the dark.

Most people these days can't afford taxi fares.

I was speaking to a tradesman last week, who now has to empty his van every night because he is afraid it will be broken into under cover of darkness.

Why should people be inconvenienced?

As for driving in the dark, that's fine. But some people have no choice but to WALK down dark streets.
It is exactly the point. Try reading the article. This is not a stretch of road that anyone will be walking along. It is the A13 between the Five Bells and Sadlers Farm roundabouts. There is no footpath.
[quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.[/p][/quote]This is not the point. People who work in the night time economy often have to walk home on stretches of unlit road. At the Pitsea Community Panel meeting last night it was mentioned that a young woman has had to give up her job because she has to walk home in the dark. Most people these days can't afford taxi fares. I was speaking to a tradesman last week, who now has to empty his van every night because he is afraid it will be broken into under cover of darkness. Why should people be inconvenienced? As for driving in the dark, that's fine. But some people have no choice but to WALK down dark streets.[/p][/quote]It is exactly the point. Try reading the article. This is not a stretch of road that anyone will be walking along. It is the A13 between the Five Bells and Sadlers Farm roundabouts. There is no footpath. Chris Flunk
  • Score: 31

9:59am Wed 12 Mar 14

stopmoaning1 says...

Kim Gandy wrote:
Chris Flunk wrote:
How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.
This is not the point.

People who work in the night time economy often have to walk home on stretches of unlit road.

At the Pitsea Community Panel meeting last night it was mentioned that a young woman has had to give up her job because she has to walk home in the dark.

Most people these days can't afford taxi fares.

I was speaking to a tradesman last week, who now has to empty his van every night because he is afraid it will be broken into under cover of darkness.

Why should people be inconvenienced?

As for driving in the dark, that's fine. But some people have no choice but to WALK down dark streets.
People shouldn't be walking on this stretch of road day or night.
This is a not a residential area and therefore it's a non story.
[quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.[/p][/quote]This is not the point. People who work in the night time economy often have to walk home on stretches of unlit road. At the Pitsea Community Panel meeting last night it was mentioned that a young woman has had to give up her job because she has to walk home in the dark. Most people these days can't afford taxi fares. I was speaking to a tradesman last week, who now has to empty his van every night because he is afraid it will be broken into under cover of darkness. Why should people be inconvenienced? As for driving in the dark, that's fine. But some people have no choice but to WALK down dark streets.[/p][/quote]People shouldn't be walking on this stretch of road day or night. This is a not a residential area and therefore it's a non story. stopmoaning1
  • Score: 26

10:08am Wed 12 Mar 14

adamski22 says...

Exactly. This stretch of the road has no footpaths so no point hav all those lights on.
Large sections of A12 are unlit all night, not only between midnight and 5 am. And millions of road users do not complain. If anyone is unhappy to drive on the road without street light, perhaps they should not have a licence.

Also its a shame that Echo is just looking at one side of the story. Why not to talk to people who are normal and are not scared of dark?
Exactly. This stretch of the road has no footpaths so no point hav all those lights on. Large sections of A12 are unlit all night, not only between midnight and 5 am. And millions of road users do not complain. If anyone is unhappy to drive on the road without street light, perhaps they should not have a licence. Also its a shame that Echo is just looking at one side of the story. Why not to talk to people who are normal and are not scared of dark? adamski22
  • Score: 21

10:09am Wed 12 Mar 14

Smudgie Bugglers says...

Chris Flunk wrote:
Kim Gandy wrote:
Chris Flunk wrote: How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.
This is not the point. People who work in the night time economy often have to walk home on stretches of unlit road. At the Pitsea Community Panel meeting last night it was mentioned that a young woman has had to give up her job because she has to walk home in the dark. Most people these days can't afford taxi fares. I was speaking to a tradesman last week, who now has to empty his van every night because he is afraid it will be broken into under cover of darkness. Why should people be inconvenienced? As for driving in the dark, that's fine. But some people have no choice but to WALK down dark streets.
It is exactly the point. Try reading the article. This is not a stretch of road that anyone will be walking along. It is the A13 between the Five Bells and Sadlers Farm roundabouts. There is no footpath.
This is an outrage! I have been walking since I was 19, but I won’t be using this stretch of road anymore.
[quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.[/p][/quote]This is not the point. People who work in the night time economy often have to walk home on stretches of unlit road. At the Pitsea Community Panel meeting last night it was mentioned that a young woman has had to give up her job because she has to walk home in the dark. Most people these days can't afford taxi fares. I was speaking to a tradesman last week, who now has to empty his van every night because he is afraid it will be broken into under cover of darkness. Why should people be inconvenienced? As for driving in the dark, that's fine. But some people have no choice but to WALK down dark streets.[/p][/quote]It is exactly the point. Try reading the article. This is not a stretch of road that anyone will be walking along. It is the A13 between the Five Bells and Sadlers Farm roundabouts. There is no footpath.[/p][/quote]This is an outrage! I have been walking since I was 19, but I won’t be using this stretch of road anymore. Smudgie Bugglers
  • Score: 20

10:11am Wed 12 Mar 14

Chris Flunk says...

Chris Flunk wrote:
Kim Gandy wrote:
Chris Flunk wrote:
How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.
This is not the point.

People who work in the night time economy often have to walk home on stretches of unlit road.

At the Pitsea Community Panel meeting last night it was mentioned that a young woman has had to give up her job because she has to walk home in the dark.

Most people these days can't afford taxi fares.

I was speaking to a tradesman last week, who now has to empty his van every night because he is afraid it will be broken into under cover of darkness.

Why should people be inconvenienced?

As for driving in the dark, that's fine. But some people have no choice but to WALK down dark streets.
It is exactly the point. Try reading the article. This is not a stretch of road that anyone will be walking along. It is the A13 between the Five Bells and Sadlers Farm roundabouts. There is no footpath.
I'm also fed up with the raving lefties, like you Kim, who are trying to force all of us tax payers to finance a service that is only used by a minority.
[quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.[/p][/quote]This is not the point. People who work in the night time economy often have to walk home on stretches of unlit road. At the Pitsea Community Panel meeting last night it was mentioned that a young woman has had to give up her job because she has to walk home in the dark. Most people these days can't afford taxi fares. I was speaking to a tradesman last week, who now has to empty his van every night because he is afraid it will be broken into under cover of darkness. Why should people be inconvenienced? As for driving in the dark, that's fine. But some people have no choice but to WALK down dark streets.[/p][/quote]It is exactly the point. Try reading the article. This is not a stretch of road that anyone will be walking along. It is the A13 between the Five Bells and Sadlers Farm roundabouts. There is no footpath.[/p][/quote]I'm also fed up with the raving lefties, like you Kim, who are trying to force all of us tax payers to finance a service that is only used by a minority. Chris Flunk
  • Score: 5

10:45am Wed 12 Mar 14

pendulum says...

pembury53 wrote:
Chris Flunk wrote:
How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.
well said mate..... there's a switch on the dash called 'lights'
If you think headlights (or even fullbeam, when there is no oncoming traffic) are a like replacement for streetlights then you need to reconsider your opinion. Have you been out after 12 in these areas and seen for yourself the difference?
[quote][p][bold]pembury53[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.[/p][/quote]well said mate..... there's a switch on the dash called 'lights'[/p][/quote]If you think headlights (or even fullbeam, when there is no oncoming traffic) are a like replacement for streetlights then you need to reconsider your opinion. Have you been out after 12 in these areas and seen for yourself the difference? pendulum
  • Score: -21

10:53am Wed 12 Mar 14

stopmoaning1 says...

pendulum wrote:
pembury53 wrote:
Chris Flunk wrote:
How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.
well said mate..... there's a switch on the dash called 'lights'
If you think headlights (or even fullbeam, when there is no oncoming traffic) are a like replacement for streetlights then you need to reconsider your opinion. Have you been out after 12 in these areas and seen for yourself the difference?
Please tell me you're not a driver.
[quote][p][bold]pendulum[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pembury53[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.[/p][/quote]well said mate..... there's a switch on the dash called 'lights'[/p][/quote]If you think headlights (or even fullbeam, when there is no oncoming traffic) are a like replacement for streetlights then you need to reconsider your opinion. Have you been out after 12 in these areas and seen for yourself the difference?[/p][/quote]Please tell me you're not a driver. stopmoaning1
  • Score: 23

11:10am Wed 12 Mar 14

Chris Flunk says...

pendulum wrote:
pembury53 wrote:
Chris Flunk wrote:
How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.
well said mate..... there's a switch on the dash called 'lights'
If you think headlights (or even fullbeam, when there is no oncoming traffic) are a like replacement for streetlights then you need to reconsider your opinion. Have you been out after 12 in these areas and seen for yourself the difference?
Yes. It is darker without street lights. Fortunately my car is fitted with headlights that do adequately light the area. If yours isn't, I'd suggest you need an MOT. I also ensure that, as always, I am driving in accordance with any restrictions and in a manner appropriate for the road conditions and the distance I can see to be clear ahead of me.

It's not difficult.
[quote][p][bold]pendulum[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pembury53[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.[/p][/quote]well said mate..... there's a switch on the dash called 'lights'[/p][/quote]If you think headlights (or even fullbeam, when there is no oncoming traffic) are a like replacement for streetlights then you need to reconsider your opinion. Have you been out after 12 in these areas and seen for yourself the difference?[/p][/quote]Yes. It is darker without street lights. Fortunately my car is fitted with headlights that do adequately light the area. If yours isn't, I'd suggest you need an MOT. I also ensure that, as always, I am driving in accordance with any restrictions and in a manner appropriate for the road conditions and the distance I can see to be clear ahead of me. It's not difficult. Chris Flunk
  • Score: 26

11:25am Wed 12 Mar 14

woolstone says...

Of course you can drive along roads with just using headlights, but it is still hard to see surrounding areas clearly. What happenings when we have fog at night and early morning will that make driving more dangerous with no streetlights. Everybody keeps going on about driving without streetlights, but it is a very different story when you have to walk from the Station after the lights have been turned off, you feel very vulnerable.
Of course you can drive along roads with just using headlights, but it is still hard to see surrounding areas clearly. What happenings when we have fog at night and early morning will that make driving more dangerous with no streetlights. Everybody keeps going on about driving without streetlights, but it is a very different story when you have to walk from the Station after the lights have been turned off, you feel very vulnerable. woolstone
  • Score: -14

11:44am Wed 12 Mar 14

stopmoaning1 says...

woolstone wrote:
Of course you can drive along roads with just using headlights, but it is still hard to see surrounding areas clearly. What happenings when we have fog at night and early morning will that make driving more dangerous with no streetlights. Everybody keeps going on about driving without streetlights, but it is a very different story when you have to walk from the Station after the lights have been turned off, you feel very vulnerable.
Why would you be walking along this stretch of the A13 to the station between midnight and 5am. In fact, why would you be walking along this stretch of the A13 full stop?
[quote][p][bold]woolstone[/bold] wrote: Of course you can drive along roads with just using headlights, but it is still hard to see surrounding areas clearly. What happenings when we have fog at night and early morning will that make driving more dangerous with no streetlights. Everybody keeps going on about driving without streetlights, but it is a very different story when you have to walk from the Station after the lights have been turned off, you feel very vulnerable.[/p][/quote]Why would you be walking along this stretch of the A13 to the station between midnight and 5am. In fact, why would you be walking along this stretch of the A13 full stop? stopmoaning1
  • Score: 16

12:47pm Wed 12 Mar 14

pembury53 says...

pendulum wrote:
pembury53 wrote:
Chris Flunk wrote: How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.
well said mate..... there's a switch on the dash called 'lights'
If you think headlights (or even fullbeam, when there is no oncoming traffic) are a like replacement for streetlights then you need to reconsider your opinion. Have you been out after 12 in these areas and seen for yourself the difference?
try 'osram nightbreakers' there the dogs knacks
[quote][p][bold]pendulum[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pembury53[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.[/p][/quote]well said mate..... there's a switch on the dash called 'lights'[/p][/quote]If you think headlights (or even fullbeam, when there is no oncoming traffic) are a like replacement for streetlights then you need to reconsider your opinion. Have you been out after 12 in these areas and seen for yourself the difference?[/p][/quote]try 'osram nightbreakers' there the dogs knacks pembury53
  • Score: -1

12:56pm Wed 12 Mar 14

No1 Shoplifter says...

Kim Gandy wrote:
Chris Flunk wrote:
How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.
This is not the point.

People who work in the night time economy often have to walk home on stretches of unlit road.

At the Pitsea Community Panel meeting last night it was mentioned that a young woman has had to give up her job because she has to walk home in the dark.

Most people these days can't afford taxi fares.

I was speaking to a tradesman last week, who now has to empty his van every night because he is afraid it will be broken into under cover of darkness.

Why should people be inconvenienced?

As for driving in the dark, that's fine. But some people have no choice but to WALK down dark streets.
What you going on about? This article is not about walking down dark streets, it's about driving down the A13. There's a big difference. Residential areas should have lighting remained switched on to prevent crime etc.. But I believe roads like the A127 and A13 should not present no major problems for your average motorist when it's blacked out.
[quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.[/p][/quote]This is not the point. People who work in the night time economy often have to walk home on stretches of unlit road. At the Pitsea Community Panel meeting last night it was mentioned that a young woman has had to give up her job because she has to walk home in the dark. Most people these days can't afford taxi fares. I was speaking to a tradesman last week, who now has to empty his van every night because he is afraid it will be broken into under cover of darkness. Why should people be inconvenienced? As for driving in the dark, that's fine. But some people have no choice but to WALK down dark streets.[/p][/quote]What you going on about? This article is not about walking down dark streets, it's about driving down the A13. There's a big difference. Residential areas should have lighting remained switched on to prevent crime etc.. But I believe roads like the A127 and A13 should not present no major problems for your average motorist when it's blacked out. No1 Shoplifter
  • Score: 11

1:07pm Wed 12 Mar 14

iknowbetter says...

Kim Gandy wrote:
Chris Flunk wrote:
How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.
This is not the point.

People who work in the night time economy often have to walk home on stretches of unlit road.

At the Pitsea Community Panel meeting last night it was mentioned that a young woman has had to give up her job because she has to walk home in the dark.

Most people these days can't afford taxi fares.

I was speaking to a tradesman last week, who now has to empty his van every night because he is afraid it will be broken into under cover of darkness.

Why should people be inconvenienced?

As for driving in the dark, that's fine. But some people have no choice but to WALK down dark streets.
Another well thought out statement Kim. NOT!!!!
[quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.[/p][/quote]This is not the point. People who work in the night time economy often have to walk home on stretches of unlit road. At the Pitsea Community Panel meeting last night it was mentioned that a young woman has had to give up her job because she has to walk home in the dark. Most people these days can't afford taxi fares. I was speaking to a tradesman last week, who now has to empty his van every night because he is afraid it will be broken into under cover of darkness. Why should people be inconvenienced? As for driving in the dark, that's fine. But some people have no choice but to WALK down dark streets.[/p][/quote]Another well thought out statement Kim. NOT!!!! iknowbetter
  • Score: 9

1:12pm Wed 12 Mar 14

Matt - Kent says...

I am pretty sure that parts of the M25 are unlit too......
I am pretty sure that parts of the M25 are unlit too...... Matt - Kent
  • Score: 5

1:50pm Wed 12 Mar 14

carnmountyouknowitmakessense says...

Good job I've headlamps....
Good job I've headlamps.... carnmountyouknowitmakessense
  • Score: 8

2:43pm Wed 12 Mar 14

Happy Chickie says...

Chris Flunk wrote:
Chris Flunk wrote:
Kim Gandy wrote:
Chris Flunk wrote:
How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.
This is not the point.

People who work in the night time economy often have to walk home on stretches of unlit road.

At the Pitsea Community Panel meeting last night it was mentioned that a young woman has had to give up her job because she has to walk home in the dark.

Most people these days can't afford taxi fares.

I was speaking to a tradesman last week, who now has to empty his van every night because he is afraid it will be broken into under cover of darkness.

Why should people be inconvenienced?

As for driving in the dark, that's fine. But some people have no choice but to WALK down dark streets.
It is exactly the point. Try reading the article. This is not a stretch of road that anyone will be walking along. It is the A13 between the Five Bells and Sadlers Farm roundabouts. There is no footpath.
I'm also fed up with the raving lefties, like you Kim, who are trying to force all of us tax payers to finance a service that is only used by a minority.
Se isn't a raving leftie - she is a raving lunatic.
[quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.[/p][/quote]This is not the point. People who work in the night time economy often have to walk home on stretches of unlit road. At the Pitsea Community Panel meeting last night it was mentioned that a young woman has had to give up her job because she has to walk home in the dark. Most people these days can't afford taxi fares. I was speaking to a tradesman last week, who now has to empty his van every night because he is afraid it will be broken into under cover of darkness. Why should people be inconvenienced? As for driving in the dark, that's fine. But some people have no choice but to WALK down dark streets.[/p][/quote]It is exactly the point. Try reading the article. This is not a stretch of road that anyone will be walking along. It is the A13 between the Five Bells and Sadlers Farm roundabouts. There is no footpath.[/p][/quote]I'm also fed up with the raving lefties, like you Kim, who are trying to force all of us tax payers to finance a service that is only used by a minority.[/p][/quote]Se isn't a raving leftie - she is a raving lunatic. Happy Chickie
  • Score: 5

3:23pm Wed 12 Mar 14

Jilly from Leigh says...

Oh why on earth don't you lot put up and shut up. This has degraded into an insult-slinging match.
Oh why on earth don't you lot put up and shut up. This has degraded into an insult-slinging match. Jilly from Leigh
  • Score: -6

4:29pm Wed 12 Mar 14

SANDRA PETERS says...

Chris Flunk wrote:
Kim Gandy wrote:
Chris Flunk wrote:
How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.
This is not the point.

People who work in the night time economy often have to walk home on stretches of unlit road.

At the Pitsea Community Panel meeting last night it was mentioned that a young woman has had to give up her job because she has to walk home in the dark.

Most people these days can't afford taxi fares.

I was speaking to a tradesman last week, who now has to empty his van every night because he is afraid it will be broken into under cover of darkness.

Why should people be inconvenienced?

As for driving in the dark, that's fine. But some people have no choice but to WALK down dark streets.
It is exactly the point. Try reading the article. This is not a stretch of road that anyone will be walking along. It is the A13 between the Five Bells and Sadlers Farm roundabouts. There is no footpath.
Essex CC are really not concerned. I understand the A13 I travel this road every day but try the 2045 from A.127 to Carpenters Arms with no lights even fitted, road markings non existent and in fine rain with headlights this road is a death trap. Also even worst Lower Road between Hullbridge and Hockley. Due to an accident in Hockley the main road was closed and Lower road was the only way through. This is a country lane again with no road markings visible and during this journey 3 cars at different points on the road were in ditches. This I reported to ECC and the response - Its been accessed. Old story has to be a number of deaths before action.
[quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.[/p][/quote]This is not the point. People who work in the night time economy often have to walk home on stretches of unlit road. At the Pitsea Community Panel meeting last night it was mentioned that a young woman has had to give up her job because she has to walk home in the dark. Most people these days can't afford taxi fares. I was speaking to a tradesman last week, who now has to empty his van every night because he is afraid it will be broken into under cover of darkness. Why should people be inconvenienced? As for driving in the dark, that's fine. But some people have no choice but to WALK down dark streets.[/p][/quote]It is exactly the point. Try reading the article. This is not a stretch of road that anyone will be walking along. It is the A13 between the Five Bells and Sadlers Farm roundabouts. There is no footpath.[/p][/quote]Essex CC are really not concerned. I understand the A13 I travel this road every day but try the 2045 from A.127 to Carpenters Arms with no lights even fitted, road markings non existent and in fine rain with headlights this road is a death trap. Also even worst Lower Road between Hullbridge and Hockley. Due to an accident in Hockley the main road was closed and Lower road was the only way through. This is a country lane again with no road markings visible and during this journey 3 cars at different points on the road were in ditches. This I reported to ECC and the response - Its been accessed. Old story has to be a number of deaths before action. SANDRA PETERS
  • Score: -6

4:46pm Wed 12 Mar 14

SANDRA PETERS says...

There are many people who work at night leaving work late or starting very early during the lights being switched off. If sex maniacs and druggies can rob and steal in daylight what is waiting for you around the corner when the lights are out. I live in a close in Hockley and my husband leaves home at 4.30am and now has to have a touch to see his way to the car and what are they really saving and if they are saving lots of money where is this going - NOT doing the pot holes, road markings and installing lights in accident prone areas. Also, what happens in the dark walking on the pavement and it is damaged, as you cannot see where your walking and you fall and could be a nasty accident - who pays and who is responsible considering pavements never seem to be repaired. does anyone one ECC responsibility here - love to know.
There are many people who work at night leaving work late or starting very early during the lights being switched off. If sex maniacs and druggies can rob and steal in daylight what is waiting for you around the corner when the lights are out. I live in a close in Hockley and my husband leaves home at 4.30am and now has to have a touch to see his way to the car and what are they really saving and if they are saving lots of money where is this going - NOT doing the pot holes, road markings and installing lights in accident prone areas. Also, what happens in the dark walking on the pavement and it is damaged, as you cannot see where your walking and you fall and could be a nasty accident - who pays and who is responsible considering pavements never seem to be repaired. does anyone one ECC responsibility here - love to know. SANDRA PETERS
  • Score: -11

4:56pm Wed 12 Mar 14

SANDRA PETERS says...

As we know the roads are full of potholes I know only too well cost me £240 for a new alloy. BUT...........people do start work before 5am and arrive home after 12am. There are many pavements that are either broken or raised and being in the dark how do you see these and walk around them. If you don't you could have a nasty accident - who is responsible for this when the lights are off. You hear of people falling banging their head causing mega damage like to know what the Councils thoughts are on this one. Do we go back to the blackout years all carry a touch - Get real Essex C.C. People first not lunches for the boys !!!!
As we know the roads are full of potholes I know only too well cost me £240 for a new alloy. BUT...........people do start work before 5am and arrive home after 12am. There are many pavements that are either broken or raised and being in the dark how do you see these and walk around them. If you don't you could have a nasty accident - who is responsible for this when the lights are off. You hear of people falling banging their head causing mega damage like to know what the Councils thoughts are on this one. Do we go back to the blackout years all carry a touch - Get real Essex C.C. People first not lunches for the boys !!!! SANDRA PETERS
  • Score: -10

5:04pm Wed 12 Mar 14

stopmoaning1 says...

SANDRA PETERS wrote:
There are many people who work at night leaving work late or starting very early during the lights being switched off. If sex maniacs and druggies can rob and steal in daylight what is waiting for you around the corner when the lights are out. I live in a close in Hockley and my husband leaves home at 4.30am and now has to have a touch to see his way to the car and what are they really saving and if they are saving lots of money where is this going - NOT doing the pot holes, road markings and installing lights in accident prone areas. Also, what happens in the dark walking on the pavement and it is damaged, as you cannot see where your walking and you fall and could be a nasty accident - who pays and who is responsible considering pavements never seem to be repaired. does anyone one ECC responsibility here - love to know.
I think you've commented on the wrong story. This one's about the A13 between the Five Bells and Saddlers Farm.
[quote][p][bold]SANDRA PETERS[/bold] wrote: There are many people who work at night leaving work late or starting very early during the lights being switched off. If sex maniacs and druggies can rob and steal in daylight what is waiting for you around the corner when the lights are out. I live in a close in Hockley and my husband leaves home at 4.30am and now has to have a touch to see his way to the car and what are they really saving and if they are saving lots of money where is this going - NOT doing the pot holes, road markings and installing lights in accident prone areas. Also, what happens in the dark walking on the pavement and it is damaged, as you cannot see where your walking and you fall and could be a nasty accident - who pays and who is responsible considering pavements never seem to be repaired. does anyone one ECC responsibility here - love to know.[/p][/quote]I think you've commented on the wrong story. This one's about the A13 between the Five Bells and Saddlers Farm. stopmoaning1
  • Score: 6

5:05pm Wed 12 Mar 14

stopmoaning1 says...

SANDRA PETERS wrote:
As we know the roads are full of potholes I know only too well cost me £240 for a new alloy. BUT...........people do start work before 5am and arrive home after 12am. There are many pavements that are either broken or raised and being in the dark how do you see these and walk around them. If you don't you could have a nasty accident - who is responsible for this when the lights are off. You hear of people falling banging their head causing mega damage like to know what the Councils thoughts are on this one. Do we go back to the blackout years all carry a touch - Get real Essex C.C. People first not lunches for the boys !!!!
I think you've commented on the wrong story. This one's about the A13 between the Five Bells and Saddlers Farm.
[quote][p][bold]SANDRA PETERS[/bold] wrote: As we know the roads are full of potholes I know only too well cost me £240 for a new alloy. BUT...........people do start work before 5am and arrive home after 12am. There are many pavements that are either broken or raised and being in the dark how do you see these and walk around them. If you don't you could have a nasty accident - who is responsible for this when the lights are off. You hear of people falling banging their head causing mega damage like to know what the Councils thoughts are on this one. Do we go back to the blackout years all carry a touch - Get real Essex C.C. People first not lunches for the boys !!!![/p][/quote]I think you've commented on the wrong story. This one's about the A13 between the Five Bells and Saddlers Farm. stopmoaning1
  • Score: 7

5:38pm Wed 12 Mar 14

jolllyboy says...

No road should be without lights OR cats eyes. One or the other should be there. Common sense.
No road should be without lights OR cats eyes. One or the other should be there. Common sense. jolllyboy
  • Score: 1

7:47pm Wed 12 Mar 14

carnmountyouknowitmakessense says...

Kim Gandy wrote:
Chris Flunk wrote:
How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.
This is not the point.

People who work in the night time economy often have to walk home on stretches of unlit road.

At the Pitsea Community Panel meeting last night it was mentioned that a young woman has had to give up her job because she has to walk home in the dark.

Most people these days can't afford taxi fares.

I was speaking to a tradesman last week, who now has to empty his van every night because he is afraid it will be broken into under cover of darkness.

Why should people be inconvenienced?

As for driving in the dark, that's fine. But some people have no choice but to WALK down dark streets.
Wear a reflective vest, and always walk on the side with oncoming traffic....
[quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.[/p][/quote]This is not the point. People who work in the night time economy often have to walk home on stretches of unlit road. At the Pitsea Community Panel meeting last night it was mentioned that a young woman has had to give up her job because she has to walk home in the dark. Most people these days can't afford taxi fares. I was speaking to a tradesman last week, who now has to empty his van every night because he is afraid it will be broken into under cover of darkness. Why should people be inconvenienced? As for driving in the dark, that's fine. But some people have no choice but to WALK down dark streets.[/p][/quote]Wear a reflective vest, and always walk on the side with oncoming traffic.... carnmountyouknowitmakessense
  • Score: 2

8:52pm Wed 12 Mar 14

mag1968 says...

BenfleetBarrel wrote:
“I have been driving since I was 19, but I won’t be using this stretch of road anymore.”

I bet that comment will force the council to have a rethink on their policy.
you should loose your license then lol
[quote][p][bold]BenfleetBarrel[/bold] wrote: “I have been driving since I was 19, but I won’t be using this stretch of road anymore.” I bet that comment will force the council to have a rethink on their policy.[/p][/quote]you should loose your license then lol mag1968
  • Score: -4

11:14pm Wed 12 Mar 14

woolstone says...

Stopmoaning1 if you read my post you will see I said walking back from the STATION not the A13.
Stopmoaning1 if you read my post you will see I said walking back from the STATION not the A13. woolstone
  • Score: -10

12:21am Thu 13 Mar 14

pendulum says...

stopmoaning1 wrote:
pendulum wrote:
pembury53 wrote:
Chris Flunk wrote:
How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.
well said mate..... there's a switch on the dash called 'lights'
If you think headlights (or even fullbeam, when there is no oncoming traffic) are a like replacement for streetlights then you need to reconsider your opinion. Have you been out after 12 in these areas and seen for yourself the difference?
Please tell me you're not a driver.
I'm a professional driver and what I have stated is irrefutably true. The fact so many "drivers" do not understand the point is perhaps a reflection of how many bad drivers there are out there. A good driver is always observing well ahead and the removal of street lighting drastically cuts down on the available viewing distance, regardless of the 'quality' of the headlights. It is a *fact* that street lights being on improves the viewing distance.
[quote][p][bold]stopmoaning1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pendulum[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pembury53[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.[/p][/quote]well said mate..... there's a switch on the dash called 'lights'[/p][/quote]If you think headlights (or even fullbeam, when there is no oncoming traffic) are a like replacement for streetlights then you need to reconsider your opinion. Have you been out after 12 in these areas and seen for yourself the difference?[/p][/quote]Please tell me you're not a driver.[/p][/quote]I'm a professional driver and what I have stated is irrefutably true. The fact so many "drivers" do not understand the point is perhaps a reflection of how many bad drivers there are out there. A good driver is always observing well ahead and the removal of street lighting drastically cuts down on the available viewing distance, regardless of the 'quality' of the headlights. It is a *fact* that street lights being on improves the viewing distance. pendulum
  • Score: -10

8:57am Thu 13 Mar 14

BenfleetBarrel says...

mag1968 wrote:
BenfleetBarrel wrote: “I have been driving since I was 19, but I won’t be using this stretch of road anymore.” I bet that comment will force the council to have a rethink on their policy.
you should loose your license then lol
Eh?
[quote][p][bold]mag1968[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BenfleetBarrel[/bold] wrote: “I have been driving since I was 19, but I won’t be using this stretch of road anymore.” I bet that comment will force the council to have a rethink on their policy.[/p][/quote]you should loose your license then lol[/p][/quote]Eh? BenfleetBarrel
  • Score: 6

9:08am Thu 13 Mar 14

barrylabs says...

BenfleetBarrel wrote:
mag1968 wrote:
BenfleetBarrel wrote: “I have been driving since I was 19, but I won’t be using this stretch of road anymore.” I bet that comment will force the council to have a rethink on their policy.
you should loose your license then lol
Eh?
Loosen up, old chap!
[quote][p][bold]BenfleetBarrel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mag1968[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BenfleetBarrel[/bold] wrote: “I have been driving since I was 19, but I won’t be using this stretch of road anymore.” I bet that comment will force the council to have a rethink on their policy.[/p][/quote]you should loose your license then lol[/p][/quote]Eh?[/p][/quote]Loosen up, old chap! barrylabs
  • Score: 4

9:55am Thu 13 Mar 14

Chris Flunk says...

pendulum wrote:
stopmoaning1 wrote:
pendulum wrote:
pembury53 wrote:
Chris Flunk wrote:
How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.
well said mate..... there's a switch on the dash called 'lights'
If you think headlights (or even fullbeam, when there is no oncoming traffic) are a like replacement for streetlights then you need to reconsider your opinion. Have you been out after 12 in these areas and seen for yourself the difference?
Please tell me you're not a driver.
I'm a professional driver and what I have stated is irrefutably true. The fact so many "drivers" do not understand the point is perhaps a reflection of how many bad drivers there are out there. A good driver is always observing well ahead and the removal of street lighting drastically cuts down on the available viewing distance, regardless of the 'quality' of the headlights. It is a *fact* that street lights being on improves the viewing distance.
What worries me more is that you claim to be a 'professional' driver (which doesn't always equate to a good driver) but you clearly don't understand the point. If your viewing distance is reduced then so should your speed be. Drive in a manner appropriate for the conditions and it's not any more dangerous. What do you do when it's foggy? Just drive at 70mph and hope the road ahead is clear?
[quote][p][bold]pendulum[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stopmoaning1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pendulum[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pembury53[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.[/p][/quote]well said mate..... there's a switch on the dash called 'lights'[/p][/quote]If you think headlights (or even fullbeam, when there is no oncoming traffic) are a like replacement for streetlights then you need to reconsider your opinion. Have you been out after 12 in these areas and seen for yourself the difference?[/p][/quote]Please tell me you're not a driver.[/p][/quote]I'm a professional driver and what I have stated is irrefutably true. The fact so many "drivers" do not understand the point is perhaps a reflection of how many bad drivers there are out there. A good driver is always observing well ahead and the removal of street lighting drastically cuts down on the available viewing distance, regardless of the 'quality' of the headlights. It is a *fact* that street lights being on improves the viewing distance.[/p][/quote]What worries me more is that you claim to be a 'professional' driver (which doesn't always equate to a good driver) but you clearly don't understand the point. If your viewing distance is reduced then so should your speed be. Drive in a manner appropriate for the conditions and it's not any more dangerous. What do you do when it's foggy? Just drive at 70mph and hope the road ahead is clear? Chris Flunk
  • Score: 16

11:39am Thu 13 Mar 14

pendulum says...

Chris Flunk wrote:
pendulum wrote:
stopmoaning1 wrote:
pendulum wrote:
pembury53 wrote:
Chris Flunk wrote:
How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.
well said mate..... there's a switch on the dash called 'lights'
If you think headlights (or even fullbeam, when there is no oncoming traffic) are a like replacement for streetlights then you need to reconsider your opinion. Have you been out after 12 in these areas and seen for yourself the difference?
Please tell me you're not a driver.
I'm a professional driver and what I have stated is irrefutably true. The fact so many "drivers" do not understand the point is perhaps a reflection of how many bad drivers there are out there. A good driver is always observing well ahead and the removal of street lighting drastically cuts down on the available viewing distance, regardless of the 'quality' of the headlights. It is a *fact* that street lights being on improves the viewing distance.
What worries me more is that you claim to be a 'professional' driver (which doesn't always equate to a good driver) but you clearly don't understand the point. If your viewing distance is reduced then so should your speed be. Drive in a manner appropriate for the conditions and it's not any more dangerous. What do you do when it's foggy? Just drive at 70mph and hope the road ahead is clear?
It goes without saying that a good driver can stop in the distance he can see to be clear, which requires a lower speed when the street lights are off, but I have the benefit of living on the A13 which you presumably do not, and can tell you (another fact coming up) that cars travelling between 12am and 5am along Kiln Road for example do not drive at a suitable speed at all, you would be lucky to find one vehicle travelling under the speed limit if you sat there and counted. The road is dead and they can't see anything so they assume nothing is there. I believe average speed has increased since the streetlights went off. And that is one of the reasons why you keep them on. The average driver along with any innocent pedestrians/animals will benefit. I can't quite believe that I am having to argue that increased visibility is a good thing.
[quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pendulum[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stopmoaning1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pendulum[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pembury53[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: How pathetic. Have people never driven on country roads or motorways at night? It's not unusual to find long unlit stretches. If you can't drive in the dark, you probably shouldn't be driving.[/p][/quote]well said mate..... there's a switch on the dash called 'lights'[/p][/quote]If you think headlights (or even fullbeam, when there is no oncoming traffic) are a like replacement for streetlights then you need to reconsider your opinion. Have you been out after 12 in these areas and seen for yourself the difference?[/p][/quote]Please tell me you're not a driver.[/p][/quote]I'm a professional driver and what I have stated is irrefutably true. The fact so many "drivers" do not understand the point is perhaps a reflection of how many bad drivers there are out there. A good driver is always observing well ahead and the removal of street lighting drastically cuts down on the available viewing distance, regardless of the 'quality' of the headlights. It is a *fact* that street lights being on improves the viewing distance.[/p][/quote]What worries me more is that you claim to be a 'professional' driver (which doesn't always equate to a good driver) but you clearly don't understand the point. If your viewing distance is reduced then so should your speed be. Drive in a manner appropriate for the conditions and it's not any more dangerous. What do you do when it's foggy? Just drive at 70mph and hope the road ahead is clear?[/p][/quote]It goes without saying that a good driver can stop in the distance he can see to be clear, which requires a lower speed when the street lights are off, but I have the benefit of living on the A13 which you presumably do not, and can tell you (another fact coming up) that cars travelling between 12am and 5am along Kiln Road for example do not drive at a suitable speed at all, you would be lucky to find one vehicle travelling under the speed limit if you sat there and counted. The road is dead and they can't see anything so they assume nothing is there. I believe average speed has increased since the streetlights went off. And that is one of the reasons why you keep them on. The average driver along with any innocent pedestrians/animals will benefit. I can't quite believe that I am having to argue that increased visibility is a good thing. pendulum
  • Score: -8

12:19pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Chris Flunk says...

Street lights prevent speeding? The pro-lighting brigade really will say anything to try to keep the lights on. What next? Street lights prevent aging? I can assure you that people speed along that stretch of road in the daylight too.
Street lights prevent speeding? The pro-lighting brigade really will say anything to try to keep the lights on. What next? Street lights prevent aging? I can assure you that people speed along that stretch of road in the daylight too. Chris Flunk
  • Score: 8

12:23pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Night vision says...

Maybe the county council should look at saving money by turning off street light that are on during the day, check out the Progress road junction in Leigh.
Already had one attempted burglary in the close that I live in since the light have been turned off at midnight, still good for the electricity company's now people are buying outside lights.
Maybe the county council should look at saving money by turning off street light that are on during the day, check out the Progress road junction in Leigh. Already had one attempted burglary in the close that I live in since the light have been turned off at midnight, still good for the electricity company's now people are buying outside lights. Night vision
  • Score: 2

12:29pm Thu 13 Mar 14

pendulum says...

Chris Flunk wrote:
Street lights prevent speeding? The pro-lighting brigade really will say anything to try to keep the lights on. What next? Street lights prevent aging? I can assure you that people speed along that stretch of road in the daylight too.
That's not what I said. *Sigh*.
[quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: Street lights prevent speeding? The pro-lighting brigade really will say anything to try to keep the lights on. What next? Street lights prevent aging? I can assure you that people speed along that stretch of road in the daylight too.[/p][/quote]That's not what I said. *Sigh*. pendulum
  • Score: -10

12:48pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Chris Flunk says...

pendulum wrote:
Chris Flunk wrote:
Street lights prevent speeding? The pro-lighting brigade really will say anything to try to keep the lights on. What next? Street lights prevent aging? I can assure you that people speed along that stretch of road in the daylight too.
That's not what I said. *Sigh*.
No, this is what you said "I believe average speed has increased since the streetlights went off. And that is one of the reasons why you keep them on."
[quote][p][bold]pendulum[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: Street lights prevent speeding? The pro-lighting brigade really will say anything to try to keep the lights on. What next? Street lights prevent aging? I can assure you that people speed along that stretch of road in the daylight too.[/p][/quote]That's not what I said. *Sigh*.[/p][/quote]No, this is what you said "I believe average speed has increased since the streetlights went off. And that is one of the reasons why you keep them on." Chris Flunk
  • Score: 10

4:34pm Thu 13 Mar 14

stopmoaning1 says...

woolstone wrote:
Stopmoaning1 if you read my post you will see I said walking back from the STATION not the A13.
Sorry if I misunderstood.
I thought the story was about driving on the A13 between Five Bells and Sadlers Farm so unless you walk back from the station along that stretch between midnight and 5am I'm not sure of your point.
[quote][p][bold]woolstone[/bold] wrote: Stopmoaning1 if you read my post you will see I said walking back from the STATION not the A13.[/p][/quote]Sorry if I misunderstood. I thought the story was about driving on the A13 between Five Bells and Sadlers Farm so unless you walk back from the station along that stretch between midnight and 5am I'm not sure of your point. stopmoaning1
  • Score: 9

5:16am Fri 14 Mar 14

Touch79 says...

Anyone in favour of leaving the street lights off should have tried driving after midnight in the fog this last couple of days.

You'd very quickly change your minds.
Anyone in favour of leaving the street lights off should have tried driving after midnight in the fog this last couple of days. You'd very quickly change your minds. Touch79
  • Score: -4

8:53am Fri 14 Mar 14

RichardAC says...

Good Lord I've rarely if ever read so much rubbish even in the Echo. I work unsocial hours and have to drive all over Essex and Southend. The lights went off months ago in a lot of areas. Chelmsford was one of the first. Does it make a difference to your driving. Absolutely not. Cars are fitted with head lights you know. If you can't drive without street lights then it's time to hand in your keys. Pathetic.
Good Lord I've rarely if ever read so much rubbish even in the Echo. I work unsocial hours and have to drive all over Essex and Southend. The lights went off months ago in a lot of areas. Chelmsford was one of the first. Does it make a difference to your driving. Absolutely not. Cars are fitted with head lights you know. If you can't drive without street lights then it's time to hand in your keys. Pathetic. RichardAC
  • Score: 8

5:35pm Fri 14 Mar 14

blackheart says...

Great news for astronomers.
Great news for astronomers. blackheart
  • Score: 2

12:53am Tue 18 Mar 14

railfan235 says...

i mabey commenting on the wrong story but i have had enough of this Essec COunty Council are been sued by Basildon Council for turning off al street lights now i have to walk to work at night and walk home in the pitch black its scary walking up crains farm road with no lights on and the fu cking cars go a ton up there why cant they use led lights and have the lights on all night they will still save money
i mabey commenting on the wrong story but i have had enough of this Essec COunty Council are been sued by Basildon Council for turning off al street lights now i have to walk to work at night and walk home in the pitch black its scary walking up crains farm road with no lights on and the fu cking cars go a ton up there why cant they use led lights and have the lights on all night they will still save money railfan235
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree