Card cloner scams petrol station users at Tesco Extra in Prince Avenue, Westcliff

The petrol station

The petrol station

First published in News
Last updated
by , Senior reporter

MOTORISTS are feared to have been scammed out of thousands of pounds after a cash card cloning machine was found at a busy pay-at-pump petrol station.

The scam device was found by an off-duty policewoman at the Tesco Extra filling station in Prince Avenue, Westcliff, and then reported to supermarket staff.

At least 15 people are so far known to have fallen victim to the scammers, who withdrew money in New York, using cloned card details.

Lisa Shoreson, 41, from Leigh, uses the machine to pay for petrol and believes she may have fallen victim to the scammers before the cloning device was removed.

She said: “I had an automated phone call from my bank saying that my card had been used and they believed there may be fraud on my account.

“It ran through the transactions and said my card had been used in New York with someone withdrawing $100 twice and then being denied when they tried to take out another $200.

“It actually charged me £260, with fees and charges, for using it abroad, but they did refund it straight away.

“It was quite a weird feeling to hear what they’d done. I’m very careful about where I use my card.

You wouldn’t really think using your card at Tesco would be risky – you think their forecourt is covered by a lot of cameras and they see everything.”

More than 6,000 people have shared warnings about card scammers on social networking websites.

Fraudsters fit so-called “skimming” devices to cash points over the real card slot.

The devices can copy information from the chip and will often use a hidden camera to capture people’s PIN. The information is then copied on to a new card which fraudsters will use to withdraw money or pay for goods – often hundreds of miles away from where the real cardholder lives.

A spokeswoman for Essex Police said that after the officer found the device, on Saturday, March 29, it was removed immediately.

She added: “We were advised the machine would be kept by Tesco for the company’s own investigation.”

A Tesco spokeswoman declined to comment on how many customers had been affected by the device, how long it had been on the pump or the safety of their machines in general.

She said: “We were concerned to hear of this incident and we are helping the police with their investigation.”

Comments (21)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:11am Fri 11 Apr 14

pembury53 says...

not much sympathy for anyone scammed in a garage, if paying by card, there notorious for skimming off, use cash like i do...... it would also prevent the queues that get stuck behind the idiot that takes 3 attempts to key in a 4 digit pin.....
not much sympathy for anyone scammed in a garage, if paying by card, there notorious for skimming off, use cash like i do...... it would also prevent the queues that get stuck behind the idiot that takes 3 attempts to key in a 4 digit pin..... pembury53
  • Score: -67

8:22am Fri 11 Apr 14

DogsMessInLeigh says...

hope Tesco and the Police will be scouring every second of the CCTV footage to find some evidence of when/who placed it on there, its good to bring this to peoples attention also as everyone just thinks its ATM's that it occurs in.
hope Tesco and the Police will be scouring every second of the CCTV footage to find some evidence of when/who placed it on there, its good to bring this to peoples attention also as everyone just thinks its ATM's that it occurs in. DogsMessInLeigh
  • Score: 31

9:06am Fri 11 Apr 14

InTheKnowOk says...

Can't see how they would get away with this as there are cameras everywhere ..
Can't see how they would get away with this as there are cameras everywhere .. InTheKnowOk
  • Score: 15

9:47am Fri 11 Apr 14

depotman says...

A spokeswoman for Essex Police said that after the officer found the device, on Saturday, March 29, it was removed immediately.

She added: “We were advised the machine would be kept by Tesco for the company’s own investigation.”
Sorry when did Tesco start to investigate crime surly the police should have kept the machine for forensics and evidence
A spokeswoman for Essex Police said that after the officer found the device, on Saturday, March 29, it was removed immediately. She added: “We were advised the machine would be kept by Tesco for the company’s own investigation.” Sorry when did Tesco start to investigate crime surly the police should have kept the machine for forensics and evidence depotman
  • Score: 29

11:27am Fri 11 Apr 14

ThisYear says...

Techknowledgey...the work of the devil
Techknowledgey...the work of the devil ThisYear
  • Score: -11

11:43am Fri 11 Apr 14

bazza 1 says...

DogsMessInLeigh wrote:
hope Tesco and the Police will be scouring every second of the CCTV footage to find some evidence of when/who placed it on there, its good to bring this to peoples attention also as everyone just thinks its ATM's that it occurs in.
It wont do any good checking the CCTV. Those responsible are already back in Romania.
[quote][p][bold]DogsMessInLeigh[/bold] wrote: hope Tesco and the Police will be scouring every second of the CCTV footage to find some evidence of when/who placed it on there, its good to bring this to peoples attention also as everyone just thinks its ATM's that it occurs in.[/p][/quote]It wont do any good checking the CCTV. Those responsible are already back in Romania. bazza 1
  • Score: 9

12:30pm Fri 11 Apr 14

essexlad1 says...

Never use a debit or credit card in machines like this. Only use a pre payment visa or master card. Not linked to your Account
Never use a debit or credit card in machines like this. Only use a pre payment visa or master card. Not linked to your Account essexlad1
  • Score: -4

12:37pm Fri 11 Apr 14

ItsMyCommentYouCanCryIfYouWantToo says...

Well done Echo for getting it wrong! The devices cannot copy information from the chip, they would copy details from the magnetic strip. Why does anyone worry about this silly little bit of fraud, bank cards are highly secure, the DDA chip on your bank card has never been hacked, and the little sum they may get from your account will be refunded by the bank straight away - as they are the ones liable for it!
Well done Echo for getting it wrong! The devices cannot copy information from the chip, they would copy details from the magnetic strip. Why does anyone worry about this silly little bit of fraud, bank cards are highly secure, the DDA chip on your bank card has never been hacked, and the little sum they may get from your account will be refunded by the bank straight away - as they are the ones liable for it! ItsMyCommentYouCanCryIfYouWantToo
  • Score: -10

5:19pm Fri 11 Apr 14

Living the La Vida Legra says...

bazza 1 wrote:
DogsMessInLeigh wrote:
hope Tesco and the Police will be scouring every second of the CCTV footage to find some evidence of when/who placed it on there, its good to bring this to peoples attention also as everyone just thinks its ATM's that it occurs in.
It wont do any good checking the CCTV. Those responsible are already back in Romania.
Your an idiot! How do you know that they were romainian?
You are inciting unrest. Unless you know otherwise?
[quote][p][bold]bazza 1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DogsMessInLeigh[/bold] wrote: hope Tesco and the Police will be scouring every second of the CCTV footage to find some evidence of when/who placed it on there, its good to bring this to peoples attention also as everyone just thinks its ATM's that it occurs in.[/p][/quote]It wont do any good checking the CCTV. Those responsible are already back in Romania.[/p][/quote]Your an idiot! How do you know that they were romainian? You are inciting unrest. Unless you know otherwise? Living the La Vida Legra
  • Score: -17

7:08pm Fri 11 Apr 14

ThisYear says...

bazza 1 wrote:
DogsMessInLeigh wrote:
hope Tesco and the Police will be scouring every second of the CCTV footage to find some evidence of when/who placed it on there, its good to bring this to peoples attention also as everyone just thinks its ATM's that it occurs in.
It wont do any good checking the CCTV. Those responsible are already back in Romania.
YAWN...Do you EVER think before you post?

Dont bother answering, you'll obviously not consider your answer.
[quote][p][bold]bazza 1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DogsMessInLeigh[/bold] wrote: hope Tesco and the Police will be scouring every second of the CCTV footage to find some evidence of when/who placed it on there, its good to bring this to peoples attention also as everyone just thinks its ATM's that it occurs in.[/p][/quote]It wont do any good checking the CCTV. Those responsible are already back in Romania.[/p][/quote]YAWN...Do you EVER think before you post? Dont bother answering, you'll obviously not consider your answer. ThisYear
  • Score: -16

5:38pm Sat 12 Apr 14

danger2013 says...

Clever scam. At least they using their brains and not robbing people in the street or burgling houses.
Clever scam. At least they using their brains and not robbing people in the street or burgling houses. danger2013
  • Score: -8

12:13pm Sun 13 Apr 14

Rich2k says...

I've had this done to me last month from tesco a127. Over £1000 taken from a cash machine in New York opposite grand central
I've had this done to me last month from tesco a127. Over £1000 taken from a cash machine in New York opposite grand central Rich2k
  • Score: 3

8:11pm Sun 13 Apr 14

DogsMessInLeigh says...

bazza 1 wrote:
DogsMessInLeigh wrote:
hope Tesco and the Police will be scouring every second of the CCTV footage to find some evidence of when/who placed it on there, its good to bring this to peoples attention also as everyone just thinks its ATM's that it occurs in.
It wont do any good checking the CCTV. Those responsible are already back in Romania.
Card Cloning experts..and jewellery heists, yup crime is on the up, just the tip of the iceberg.
[quote][p][bold]bazza 1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DogsMessInLeigh[/bold] wrote: hope Tesco and the Police will be scouring every second of the CCTV footage to find some evidence of when/who placed it on there, its good to bring this to peoples attention also as everyone just thinks its ATM's that it occurs in.[/p][/quote]It wont do any good checking the CCTV. Those responsible are already back in Romania.[/p][/quote]Card Cloning experts..and jewellery heists, yup crime is on the up, just the tip of the iceberg. DogsMessInLeigh
  • Score: 5

8:30pm Sun 13 Apr 14

bazza 1 says...

Living the La Vida Legra wrote:
bazza 1 wrote:
DogsMessInLeigh wrote:
hope Tesco and the Police will be scouring every second of the CCTV footage to find some evidence of when/who placed it on there, its good to bring this to peoples attention also as everyone just thinks its ATM's that it occurs in.
It wont do any good checking the CCTV. Those responsible are already back in Romania.
Your an idiot! How do you know that they were romainian?
You are inciting unrest. Unless you know otherwise?
You are the idiot. This kind of crime is committed time and again by gangs who visit the UK specifically to target cash machines. Check out the crime stats in London for this crime. Now check the story about the burglary at Lakeside in the Echo. I am not racist. I am a realist.
[quote][p][bold]Living the La Vida Legra[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bazza 1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DogsMessInLeigh[/bold] wrote: hope Tesco and the Police will be scouring every second of the CCTV footage to find some evidence of when/who placed it on there, its good to bring this to peoples attention also as everyone just thinks its ATM's that it occurs in.[/p][/quote]It wont do any good checking the CCTV. Those responsible are already back in Romania.[/p][/quote]Your an idiot! How do you know that they were romainian? You are inciting unrest. Unless you know otherwise?[/p][/quote]You are the idiot. This kind of crime is committed time and again by gangs who visit the UK specifically to target cash machines. Check out the crime stats in London for this crime. Now check the story about the burglary at Lakeside in the Echo. I am not racist. I am a realist. bazza 1
  • Score: 7

8:33pm Sun 13 Apr 14

bazza 1 says...

ThisYear wrote:
bazza 1 wrote:
DogsMessInLeigh wrote:
hope Tesco and the Police will be scouring every second of the CCTV footage to find some evidence of when/who placed it on there, its good to bring this to peoples attention also as everyone just thinks its ATM's that it occurs in.
It wont do any good checking the CCTV. Those responsible are already back in Romania.
YAWN...Do you EVER think before you post?

Dont bother answering, you'll obviously not consider your answer.
I never argue with a fool. They just drag you down to their level, and beat you with their stupidity. No offence.
[quote][p][bold]ThisYear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bazza 1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DogsMessInLeigh[/bold] wrote: hope Tesco and the Police will be scouring every second of the CCTV footage to find some evidence of when/who placed it on there, its good to bring this to peoples attention also as everyone just thinks its ATM's that it occurs in.[/p][/quote]It wont do any good checking the CCTV. Those responsible are already back in Romania.[/p][/quote]YAWN...Do you EVER think before you post? Dont bother answering, you'll obviously not consider your answer.[/p][/quote]I never argue with a fool. They just drag you down to their level, and beat you with their stupidity. No offence. bazza 1
  • Score: 6

8:38pm Sun 13 Apr 14

andy:) says...

bazza 1 wrote:
Living the La Vida Legra wrote:
bazza 1 wrote:
DogsMessInLeigh wrote:
hope Tesco and the Police will be scouring every second of the CCTV footage to find some evidence of when/who placed it on there, its good to bring this to peoples attention also as everyone just thinks its ATM's that it occurs in.
It wont do any good checking the CCTV. Those responsible are already back in Romania.
Your an idiot! How do you know that they were romainian?
You are inciting unrest. Unless you know otherwise?
You are the idiot. This kind of crime is committed time and again by gangs who visit the UK specifically to target cash machines. Check out the crime stats in London for this crime. Now check the story about the burglary at Lakeside in the Echo. I am not racist. I am a realist.
Ha..idiot. So if I read about a crime commited by a white male I can safely assume that all other crimes are commited by white men ?.

You should join the police, your crime fighting skills are wasted here.
[quote][p][bold]bazza 1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Living the La Vida Legra[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bazza 1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DogsMessInLeigh[/bold] wrote: hope Tesco and the Police will be scouring every second of the CCTV footage to find some evidence of when/who placed it on there, its good to bring this to peoples attention also as everyone just thinks its ATM's that it occurs in.[/p][/quote]It wont do any good checking the CCTV. Those responsible are already back in Romania.[/p][/quote]Your an idiot! How do you know that they were romainian? You are inciting unrest. Unless you know otherwise?[/p][/quote]You are the idiot. This kind of crime is committed time and again by gangs who visit the UK specifically to target cash machines. Check out the crime stats in London for this crime. Now check the story about the burglary at Lakeside in the Echo. I am not racist. I am a realist.[/p][/quote]Ha..idiot. So if I read about a crime commited by a white male I can safely assume that all other crimes are commited by white men ?. You should join the police, your crime fighting skills are wasted here. andy:)
  • Score: -7

9:04pm Sun 13 Apr 14

DogsMessInLeigh says...

I know what you mean Bazza.
I know what you mean Bazza. DogsMessInLeigh
  • Score: 6

9:56pm Sun 13 Apr 14

bazza 1 says...

andy:) wrote:
bazza 1 wrote:
Living the La Vida Legra wrote:
bazza 1 wrote:
DogsMessInLeigh wrote:
hope Tesco and the Police will be scouring every second of the CCTV footage to find some evidence of when/who placed it on there, its good to bring this to peoples attention also as everyone just thinks its ATM's that it occurs in.
It wont do any good checking the CCTV. Those responsible are already back in Romania.
Your an idiot! How do you know that they were romainian?
You are inciting unrest. Unless you know otherwise?
You are the idiot. This kind of crime is committed time and again by gangs who visit the UK specifically to target cash machines. Check out the crime stats in London for this crime. Now check the story about the burglary at Lakeside in the Echo. I am not racist. I am a realist.
Ha..idiot. So if I read about a crime commited by a white male I can safely assume that all other crimes are commited by white men ?.

You should join the police, your crime fighting skills are wasted here.
Thanks for the compliment . I might just do that. Or do I detect sarcasm in your comment?
[quote][p][bold]andy:)[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bazza 1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Living the La Vida Legra[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bazza 1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DogsMessInLeigh[/bold] wrote: hope Tesco and the Police will be scouring every second of the CCTV footage to find some evidence of when/who placed it on there, its good to bring this to peoples attention also as everyone just thinks its ATM's that it occurs in.[/p][/quote]It wont do any good checking the CCTV. Those responsible are already back in Romania.[/p][/quote]Your an idiot! How do you know that they were romainian? You are inciting unrest. Unless you know otherwise?[/p][/quote]You are the idiot. This kind of crime is committed time and again by gangs who visit the UK specifically to target cash machines. Check out the crime stats in London for this crime. Now check the story about the burglary at Lakeside in the Echo. I am not racist. I am a realist.[/p][/quote]Ha..idiot. So if I read about a crime commited by a white male I can safely assume that all other crimes are commited by white men ?. You should join the police, your crime fighting skills are wasted here.[/p][/quote]Thanks for the compliment . I might just do that. Or do I detect sarcasm in your comment? bazza 1
  • Score: 6

12:17pm Mon 14 Apr 14

Eutraveller says...

pembury53 wrote:
not much sympathy for anyone scammed in a garage, if paying by card, there notorious for skimming off, use cash like i do...... it would also prevent the queues that get stuck behind the idiot that takes 3 attempts to key in a 4 digit pin.....
Very clever, so you get the same scam when you put your card into an ATM to withdraw cash. If you want to protect yourself go into your bank branch and withdraw at the counter duuurgh
[quote][p][bold]pembury53[/bold] wrote: not much sympathy for anyone scammed in a garage, if paying by card, there notorious for skimming off, use cash like i do...... it would also prevent the queues that get stuck behind the idiot that takes 3 attempts to key in a 4 digit pin.....[/p][/quote]Very clever, so you get the same scam when you put your card into an ATM to withdraw cash. If you want to protect yourself go into your bank branch and withdraw at the counter duuurgh Eutraveller
  • Score: 2

2:32pm Mon 14 Apr 14

DogsMessInLeigh says...

Eutraveller wrote:
pembury53 wrote:
not much sympathy for anyone scammed in a garage, if paying by card, there notorious for skimming off, use cash like i do...... it would also prevent the queues that get stuck behind the idiot that takes 3 attempts to key in a 4 digit pin.....
Very clever, so you get the same scam when you put your card into an ATM to withdraw cash. If you want to protect yourself go into your bank branch and withdraw at the counter duuurgh
No because if you check the slot/front panel of the machine you will be using to draw your hard earned cash for irregularities, most don't, so if something ain't right give it a good tug as the actress said to the Bishop.
[quote][p][bold]Eutraveller[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pembury53[/bold] wrote: not much sympathy for anyone scammed in a garage, if paying by card, there notorious for skimming off, use cash like i do...... it would also prevent the queues that get stuck behind the idiot that takes 3 attempts to key in a 4 digit pin.....[/p][/quote]Very clever, so you get the same scam when you put your card into an ATM to withdraw cash. If you want to protect yourself go into your bank branch and withdraw at the counter duuurgh[/p][/quote]No because if you check the slot/front panel of the machine you will be using to draw your hard earned cash for irregularities, most don't, so if something ain't right give it a good tug as the actress said to the Bishop. DogsMessInLeigh
  • Score: 4

12:49pm Wed 16 Apr 14

Dissappointed says...

pembury53 wrote:
not much sympathy for anyone scammed in a garage, if paying by card, there notorious for skimming off, use cash like i do...... it would also prevent the queues that get stuck behind the idiot that takes 3 attempts to key in a 4 digit pin.....
And exactly how do you get the cash from your bank in the first place, IDIOT!
[quote][p][bold]pembury53[/bold] wrote: not much sympathy for anyone scammed in a garage, if paying by card, there notorious for skimming off, use cash like i do...... it would also prevent the queues that get stuck behind the idiot that takes 3 attempts to key in a 4 digit pin.....[/p][/quote]And exactly how do you get the cash from your bank in the first place, IDIOT! Dissappointed
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree