Council lands lucrative India college deal

In India – Bala Mahendran and David Sherlock

In India – Bala Mahendran and David Sherlock

First published in News by

A UNIVERSITY partnership and business deals with India could bring millions of pounds to the south Essex economy, according to Basildon Council’s chief executive.

Council boss Bala Mahendran is hopeful of a potential deal following a business trip to India will result in a huge boost to Basildon’s economy.

The trip, funded by the European Business Technology Centre, enabled Prospects – an engineering and vocational college – to forge links with the Thiagarajar College of Engineering in Madurai, Tamil Nadu.

A delegation from the Indian university will visit Basildon next month.

It is expected Prospects will help develop a vocational curriculum to train Indian students and the IT expertise at the college in Madurai will be passed on to students and lecturers in Basildon.

During the visit, David Sherlock, chairman of Prospects, signed a memorandum of understanding, promising to develop a business proposal.

Mr Mahendran said the council could be in line for a finder’s fee if the deal is sealed and Basildon Council and businesses could also benefit in the future.

Mr Mahendran said: “We are getting closer to making these deals and taking a finder’s fee.

“If we pull this off there is an agreement between us and Prospects that a percentage will come to us.

“I want to ringfence that money to promote economic development activities to go into schools to do more work in terms of promoting vocational careers and options to lift and aspire people.

The plans could see a digital hub created at the college for businesses to use to build relationships in India and apprentices could go out there to learn new skills.

Neil Bates, principal of Prospects College, which has centres in Basildon and Southend, said: “It’s an opportunity to form a partnership with a university in India and to do some joint development work.

“We have a number of businesses who have apprentices and we are looking to see if we can send some apprentices to India.We will be offering the university an opportunity for students and staff to come and work with our lecturers.”

BALA Mahendran has been made a non-executive governor of Prospects College.

Basildon Council has been described as unique by the Deputy British High Commissioner in Chennai for its commercial ventures.

Mr Mahendran said: “We are selling Basildon. The borough is responsible for 22 per cent of the GDP of Essex, we are the second largest economy outside Canary Wharf, 25 per cent of all mechanics and engineering is in Essex and we are only 30 miles from London.

“There is a need for us to commercialise and look at what expertise we can export.

“We are trying to bring in income and this trip was a fantastic opportunity for the college and the council to benefit from trade links we have cultivated with India.”

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:03pm Mon 18 Aug 14

Howard Cháse says...

Balahendran 'We are selling Basildon'


We know. Mainly to housing developers to the detriment of greenbelt/open spaces/parkland.....
..
Balahendran 'We are selling Basildon' We know. Mainly to housing developers to the detriment of greenbelt/open spaces/parkland..... .. Howard Cháse
  • Score: 11

2:03pm Mon 18 Aug 14

Howard Cháse says...

Howard Cháse wrote:
Balahendran 'We are selling Basildon'


We know. Mainly to housing developers to the detriment of greenbelt/open spaces/parkland.....

..
Mahendran. Not Balahendran. My mistake....
[quote][p][bold]Howard Cháse[/bold] wrote: Balahendran 'We are selling Basildon' We know. Mainly to housing developers to the detriment of greenbelt/open spaces/parkland..... ..[/p][/quote]Mahendran. Not Balahendran. My mistake.... Howard Cháse
  • Score: 3

2:12pm Mon 18 Aug 14

jayman says...

I'm sure the higher casts of Indian society who are permitted to go to college will enjoy the opportunity to study here while there fellow lower cast countrymen enjoy the finery of a deli slum.
I'm sure the higher casts of Indian society who are permitted to go to college will enjoy the opportunity to study here while there fellow lower cast countrymen enjoy the finery of a deli slum. jayman
  • Score: 6

2:47pm Mon 18 Aug 14

ThisYear says...

A clear cut 'jolly' for this rather disagreeable man (the council chappie)

Time will show nothing will come of this..until the next jolly time.
A clear cut 'jolly' for this rather disagreeable man (the council chappie) Time will show nothing will come of this..until the next jolly time. ThisYear
  • Score: 12

3:26pm Mon 18 Aug 14

cropped hero says...

we are the second largest economy outside of Canary Wharf?
Birmingham springs to mind, so does Manchester, so does Liverpool.
I dont think this man has the correct figures.

Exactly how 'lucrative' will it be? I see that no figures have been bandied about.

just worry about keeping the streets clean and take away the rubbish on time.
we are the second largest economy outside of Canary Wharf? Birmingham springs to mind, so does Manchester, so does Liverpool. I dont think this man has the correct figures. Exactly how 'lucrative' will it be? I see that no figures have been bandied about. just worry about keeping the streets clean and take away the rubbish on time. cropped hero
  • Score: 8

4:43pm Mon 18 Aug 14

DAGASMAN says...

jayman wrote:
I'm sure the higher casts of Indian society who are permitted to go to college will enjoy the opportunity to study here while there fellow lower cast countrymen enjoy the finery of a deli slum.
Or a british one
[quote][p][bold]jayman[/bold] wrote: I'm sure the higher casts of Indian society who are permitted to go to college will enjoy the opportunity to study here while there fellow lower cast countrymen enjoy the finery of a deli slum.[/p][/quote]Or a british one DAGASMAN
  • Score: 2

7:30pm Mon 18 Aug 14

Kim Gandy says...

From April 2013 to March 2014, Mahendran racked up £190,886 including bonuses, expenses, benefits and pension contributions, all for a three day week. Nice work if you can get it.

Only 35 grand less than his previous pay period. And this junket funded by European Business Technology Centre, yet another EU funded quango and guess where the money comes from for that...

yep, spot on. YOUR pocket, as does his phone number pay packet.

So you're forking out right left and centre for this overpaid executive and his jollies.

Can Basildon afford Bala Mahendran and all the other snout troughers at the Bas Centre who have just paid themselves a whopping nine per cent rise. Mostly useless lefties.

Write your own pay cheque eh. Can't be bad.
From April 2013 to March 2014, Mahendran racked up £190,886 including bonuses, expenses, benefits and pension contributions, all for a three day week. Nice work if you can get it. Only 35 grand less than his previous pay period. And this junket funded by European Business Technology Centre, yet another EU funded quango and guess where the money comes from for that... yep, spot on. YOUR pocket, as does his phone number pay packet. So you're forking out right left and centre for this overpaid executive and his jollies. Can Basildon afford Bala Mahendran and all the other snout troughers at the Bas Centre who have just paid themselves a whopping nine per cent rise. Mostly useless lefties. Write your own pay cheque eh. Can't be bad. Kim Gandy
  • Score: 0

7:35pm Mon 18 Aug 14

Kim Gandy says...

....and before the usual unresearched mouthpieces start on about councillors, the average councillor is paid much less. Executives and officers earn more than elected members basic expenses.

You can check out their earnings on the Bas website.
....and before the usual unresearched mouthpieces start on about councillors, the average councillor is paid much less. Executives and officers earn more than elected members basic expenses. You can check out their earnings on the Bas website. Kim Gandy
  • Score: 2

7:45pm Mon 18 Aug 14

Kim Gandy says...

Ooooh a thumbs downer already. Obviously a leftie/brown noser who can't cope with a few FACTS. Remember them?

I'm right, you're wrong. I've done my research, you just REACT to the truth in the usual manner.

Can't bear to hear it can you? Well stick around because as I said, when it comes to snouts in the trough I like to get my facts and before you start manufacturing rubbish about others in the public spotlight at Basildon, you'd better get your facts right too.

I don't discriminate. Nobody escapes scrutiny. I don't do party politics and I don't do overpaid executives and officers. I detest all with equal loathing.

Or is that too hard for you witless wonders who like to disagree with me for the sake of disagreeing?

So glad my being right ALWAYS gets a reaction. Go ahead. Make my day. Hit the thumbs down, that's one more on my scoreboard for winding up Useless Lefties.
Ooooh a thumbs downer already. Obviously a leftie/brown noser who can't cope with a few FACTS. Remember them? I'm right, you're wrong. I've done my research, you just REACT to the truth in the usual manner. Can't bear to hear it can you? Well stick around because as I said, when it comes to snouts in the trough I like to get my facts and before you start manufacturing rubbish about others in the public spotlight at Basildon, you'd better get your facts right too. I don't discriminate. Nobody escapes scrutiny. I don't do party politics and I don't do overpaid executives and officers. I detest all with equal loathing. Or is that too hard for you witless wonders who like to disagree with me for the sake of disagreeing? So glad my being right ALWAYS gets a reaction. Go ahead. Make my day. Hit the thumbs down, that's one more on my scoreboard for winding up Useless Lefties. Kim Gandy
  • Score: 0

10:21pm Mon 18 Aug 14

ThisYear says...

Kim Gandy wrote:
Ooooh a thumbs downer already. Obviously a leftie/brown noser who can't cope with a few FACTS. Remember them?

I'm right, you're wrong. I've done my research, you just REACT to the truth in the usual manner.

Can't bear to hear it can you? Well stick around because as I said, when it comes to snouts in the trough I like to get my facts and before you start manufacturing rubbish about others in the public spotlight at Basildon, you'd better get your facts right too.

I don't discriminate. Nobody escapes scrutiny. I don't do party politics and I don't do overpaid executives and officers. I detest all with equal loathing.

Or is that too hard for you witless wonders who like to disagree with me for the sake of disagreeing?

So glad my being right ALWAYS gets a reaction. Go ahead. Make my day. Hit the thumbs down, that's one more on my scoreboard for winding up Useless Lefties.
"I don't discriminate"

Oh My giddy aunty...your delusion knows no limits!
[quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: Ooooh a thumbs downer already. Obviously a leftie/brown noser who can't cope with a few FACTS. Remember them? I'm right, you're wrong. I've done my research, you just REACT to the truth in the usual manner. Can't bear to hear it can you? Well stick around because as I said, when it comes to snouts in the trough I like to get my facts and before you start manufacturing rubbish about others in the public spotlight at Basildon, you'd better get your facts right too. I don't discriminate. Nobody escapes scrutiny. I don't do party politics and I don't do overpaid executives and officers. I detest all with equal loathing. Or is that too hard for you witless wonders who like to disagree with me for the sake of disagreeing? So glad my being right ALWAYS gets a reaction. Go ahead. Make my day. Hit the thumbs down, that's one more on my scoreboard for winding up Useless Lefties.[/p][/quote]"I don't discriminate" Oh My giddy aunty...your delusion knows no limits! ThisYear
  • Score: 4

8:13am Tue 19 Aug 14

cropped hero says...

Kim Gandy wrote:

I'm right, you're wrong. I've done my research, you just REACT to the truth in the usual manner.


But you arent right are you? Dear Mayor raised millions according to you. In fact it turned out to be less than a fraction of that - £26k.

There are far too many other instances when you spout drivel and claim it as fact.

We all had a good laugh when you claimed that folk werent going out to pubs cos of green taxes on fuel bills!!

You seem to live in a parallel universe. Thank heavens it isnt parallel to mine.

and again I ask you - whats with your obsession with Basildon council. You dont live in the borough yet you appear to have a thought on every activity that goes on in the town.
Kim Gandy wrote: I'm right, you're wrong. I've done my research, you just REACT to the truth in the usual manner. But you arent right are you? Dear Mayor raised millions according to you. In fact it turned out to be less than a fraction of that - £26k. There are far too many other instances when you spout drivel and claim it as fact. We all had a good laugh when you claimed that folk werent going out to pubs cos of green taxes on fuel bills!! You seem to live in a parallel universe. Thank heavens it isnt parallel to mine. and again I ask you - whats with your obsession with Basildon council. You dont live in the borough yet you appear to have a thought on every activity that goes on in the town. cropped hero
  • Score: 2

10:42am Tue 19 Aug 14

ThisYear says...

cropped hero wrote:
Kim Gandy wrote:

I'm right, you're wrong. I've done my research, you just REACT to the truth in the usual manner.


But you arent right are you? Dear Mayor raised millions according to you. In fact it turned out to be less than a fraction of that - £26k.

There are far too many other instances when you spout drivel and claim it as fact.

We all had a good laugh when you claimed that folk werent going out to pubs cos of green taxes on fuel bills!!

You seem to live in a parallel universe. Thank heavens it isnt parallel to mine.

and again I ask you - whats with your obsession with Basildon council. You dont live in the borough yet you appear to have a thought on every activity that goes on in the town.
"whats with your obsession with Basildon council. You dont live in the borough yet you appear to have a thought on every activity that goes on in the town."

Perhaps like a dog returning to its own vomit she cant resist haunting Bas council meetings..
[quote][p][bold]cropped hero[/bold] wrote: Kim Gandy wrote: I'm right, you're wrong. I've done my research, you just REACT to the truth in the usual manner. But you arent right are you? Dear Mayor raised millions according to you. In fact it turned out to be less than a fraction of that - £26k. There are far too many other instances when you spout drivel and claim it as fact. We all had a good laugh when you claimed that folk werent going out to pubs cos of green taxes on fuel bills!! You seem to live in a parallel universe. Thank heavens it isnt parallel to mine. and again I ask you - whats with your obsession with Basildon council. You dont live in the borough yet you appear to have a thought on every activity that goes on in the town.[/p][/quote]"whats with your obsession with Basildon council. You dont live in the borough yet you appear to have a thought on every activity that goes on in the town." Perhaps like a dog returning to its own vomit she cant resist haunting Bas council meetings.. ThisYear
  • Score: 6

12:09pm Tue 19 Aug 14

Now listen for I have something to say says...

ThisYear wrote:
cropped hero wrote:
Kim Gandy wrote:

I'm right, you're wrong. I've done my research, you just REACT to the truth in the usual manner.


But you arent right are you? Dear Mayor raised millions according to you. In fact it turned out to be less than a fraction of that - £26k.

There are far too many other instances when you spout drivel and claim it as fact.

We all had a good laugh when you claimed that folk werent going out to pubs cos of green taxes on fuel bills!!

You seem to live in a parallel universe. Thank heavens it isnt parallel to mine.

and again I ask you - whats with your obsession with Basildon council. You dont live in the borough yet you appear to have a thought on every activity that goes on in the town.
"whats with your obsession with Basildon council. You dont live in the borough yet you appear to have a thought on every activity that goes on in the town."

Perhaps like a dog returning to its own vomit she cant resist haunting Bas council meetings..
Cant leave it alone can she, having been booted off like a deflated medson ball..
[quote][p][bold]ThisYear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]cropped hero[/bold] wrote: Kim Gandy wrote: I'm right, you're wrong. I've done my research, you just REACT to the truth in the usual manner. But you arent right are you? Dear Mayor raised millions according to you. In fact it turned out to be less than a fraction of that - £26k. There are far too many other instances when you spout drivel and claim it as fact. We all had a good laugh when you claimed that folk werent going out to pubs cos of green taxes on fuel bills!! You seem to live in a parallel universe. Thank heavens it isnt parallel to mine. and again I ask you - whats with your obsession with Basildon council. You dont live in the borough yet you appear to have a thought on every activity that goes on in the town.[/p][/quote]"whats with your obsession with Basildon council. You dont live in the borough yet you appear to have a thought on every activity that goes on in the town." Perhaps like a dog returning to its own vomit she cant resist haunting Bas council meetings..[/p][/quote]Cant leave it alone can she, having been booted off like a deflated medson ball.. Now listen for I have something to say
  • Score: 2

6:14pm Tue 19 Aug 14

cropped hero says...

Now listen for I have something to say wrote:
ThisYear wrote:
cropped hero wrote:
Kim Gandy wrote:

I'm right, you're wrong. I've done my research, you just REACT to the truth in the usual manner.


But you arent right are you? Dear Mayor raised millions according to you. In fact it turned out to be less than a fraction of that - £26k.

There are far too many other instances when you spout drivel and claim it as fact.

We all had a good laugh when you claimed that folk werent going out to pubs cos of green taxes on fuel bills!!

You seem to live in a parallel universe. Thank heavens it isnt parallel to mine.

and again I ask you - whats with your obsession with Basildon council. You dont live in the borough yet you appear to have a thought on every activity that goes on in the town.
"whats with your obsession with Basildon council. You dont live in the borough yet you appear to have a thought on every activity that goes on in the town."

Perhaps like a dog returning to its own vomit she cant resist haunting Bas council meetings..
Cant leave it alone can she, having been booted off like a deflated medson ball..
Booted off like a deflated medson ball?
[quote][p][bold]Now listen for I have something to say[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ThisYear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]cropped hero[/bold] wrote: Kim Gandy wrote: I'm right, you're wrong. I've done my research, you just REACT to the truth in the usual manner. But you arent right are you? Dear Mayor raised millions according to you. In fact it turned out to be less than a fraction of that - £26k. There are far too many other instances when you spout drivel and claim it as fact. We all had a good laugh when you claimed that folk werent going out to pubs cos of green taxes on fuel bills!! You seem to live in a parallel universe. Thank heavens it isnt parallel to mine. and again I ask you - whats with your obsession with Basildon council. You dont live in the borough yet you appear to have a thought on every activity that goes on in the town.[/p][/quote]"whats with your obsession with Basildon council. You dont live in the borough yet you appear to have a thought on every activity that goes on in the town." Perhaps like a dog returning to its own vomit she cant resist haunting Bas council meetings..[/p][/quote]Cant leave it alone can she, having been booted off like a deflated medson ball..[/p][/quote]Booted off like a deflated medson ball? cropped hero
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree