Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECHONEWS to 80360, or email us »
Sixth form plan for Rayleigh school
A NEW sixth form could open at a Rayleigh school.
The governing body of the Sweyne Park School in Sir Walter Raleigh Drive has unanimously agreed to ask the Department for Education for permission to change from an 11 to 16-year-old school to an 11 to 18-year-old school.
If it is approved, the school could add a sixth form by September 2014.
In a letter outlining the plans to parents, Lynda Walker, chair of governors, said there had been demand from parents to make the change.
She said: “This will primarily be for Sweyne Park pupils but will also admit 15 external pupils.
“We are very excited by the prospect of opening a sixth form and hope we will receive your support with this exciting new venture.”
Headteacher Andy Hodgkinson added: “The reason we’re applying to open a sixth form at Sweyne is in response to pupil and parental demand. It will be very exciting to be able to allow our pupils to continue their education with us. We’ve already received a lot of support and to offer courses at a time when the Government wants all pupils to stay in education and training until they’re 18 there will be a need for more provision and choice.
“We’re really excited, as are our pupils. It will primarily be A level based curriculum and some vocational similar to what we offer now as best we can. We want to provide a broad balanced curriculum to give them the best life choices.”
Parents can give their views about the proposals until February 25 by writing to Mrs D Donaldson, The Sweyne Park School, Sir Walter Raleigh Drive, Rayleigh, Essex, SS6 9BZ or going to www.sweynepark.com.