Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECHONEWS to 80360, or email us »
Contractors working through the night to complete Sadlers Farm
SADLERS Farm is still causing disruption as contractors work through the night to get the roadworks completed.
Following a string of missed deadlines, work on Sadlers Farm was set to finish at the end of January but the Echo reported earlier this month how contractors from Birse Civils were behind schedule.
At the time Essex County Council insisted the road would be fully operational in two to three weeks, suggesting a final completion date of February 22, but workmen are still on site.
The council insist that overnight and off-peak work will not disrupt motorists, but residents living nearby now face the nightmare of diverted traffic.
Mike Woodhouse, 64, of London Road, Benfleet, said: “We can’t sleep at night because there is much traffic, and it’s not just cars but great big delivery lorries. My other concern is that there are no police around to catch all the people who are speeding. Cars regularly go 40 or even 50mph when they limit is 30mph.
“Are these people ever going to finish? We have put up with it for two and a half years now. Every time the council give us a new date we get our hopes up.”
Residents who live in Romsey Road have even complained of being unable to get out of their turning.
Sharon Knight, of Philmead Road, Benfleet, said: “We are resigned to the fact that Sadlers Farm is just a complete nightmare. There is nothing we can do, we are completely helpless.
“Residents are having to put up with noise and disruption throughout the night and some people can’t even get out of their own road.
“I think the council is going to be tinkering with it from now until the end of time.”
Roadwork signs at Sadlers Farm indicate that the overnight closures will end on Monday.
A spokesman for Essex County Council said: “The Sadlers Farm Junction Improvement Scheme is now fully operational and remaining works on the network will be completed as soon as possible. Work is taking place off-peak and overnight with updates provided weekly on the Essex County Council website. Targeted work will also take place in the coming months adjacent to the network, for example landscaping and planting, completion of works to subways, and accommodations works to adjacent landowners. These works will have little or no disruption to motorists. We have never given 20th February as a completion date.
“As we have explained previously, there will be no additional cost to the Essex taxpayer as this scheme is subject to a fixed price contract.”
Comments are closed on this article.