Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECHONEWS to 80360, or email us »
Family believe wrong fuel caused toxic fumes from boiler
7:40am Wednesday 20th March 2013 in News
A FAMILY who had to be rescued after toxic fumes leaked from an oil-fired boiler believe the wrong type of fuel may have been delivered to them.
John Skinner and his family were rescued by firefighters at 10.25am on Sunday after the 18-month-old boiler filled their home in Rochford with choking fumes.
Mr Skinner, 71, said reports a wood-burning stove had caused the problem were wrong.
He said: “We turned the boiler on on Saturday morning and I could smell fumes so I had a look at it to see if it was leaking but there was no fuel coming out.
“We live near the airport so I thought a plane might have jettisoned some fuel. I was the first one up on Sunday and the place stank and there was black smoke going out of the side of the house. My wife was in bed but I couldn’t get her up. A neighbour helped me get her out of the house.”
Mr Skinner of Meadowbrook Farm in Ironwell Lane added: “We had only just had a fuel delivery. The boiler was fine before the new fuel went in. I believe it could be paraffin instead of Kerosene so we are having it checked. The place nearly went up in flames. We were very lucky.
Mr Skinner, his wife Carol, 68, and their son and daughter, Gary, 40, and Suzanne, 30, were all taken to Southend Hospital for treatment after inhaling the fumes. The boiler is set to be overhauled to find out the cause of the problem.
Comments are closed on this article.