Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECHONEWS to 80360, or email us »
1950s picture will be recreated at our party
A GROUP of old pals will be reunited to mark the 60th anniversary of their community centre.
Just a couple of months ago, the Echo published this photograph from the opening of the Daws Heath Residents’ Association Hall, in Daws Heath Road, in 1953.
The hall committee were looking to track down old members.
The association has since had a number of members come forward and on Saturday, October 26, they will be re-enacting the picture.
On the night, members and guests are also invited to an anniversary quiz.
The association was first set up in 1953 after a group of residents got together.Asmall plot of land was sold in freehold by a local benefactor and members acquired a Nissen hut from a disused airfield near Framlingham in Suffolk.
The hall was built by local volunteers and was opened on August 29 1953 by Rt. Hon.
Bernard Braine, MP for Billericay.
It is now home to a number of local clubs andsocieties including Westwood Art Group, Rainbow and Brownie Guides, Judo Club, Whist Club, junior and youth San Toy Dancing School, Bingo club, Pilates, and The Rayleigh Folk Dance.
Local people can also book it for public meetings, functions, childrens’ parties, family celebrations, ballroom dance practice.
Comments are closed on this article.