Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECHONEWS to 80360, or email us »
Boy made up stranger danger story
A TEENAGER who claimed he had been approached by a stranger “made up” the incident, police have revealed.
The Echo reported earlier this week police were probing two incidents in which schoolchildren were reportedly approached by strangers.
The incidents prompted schools to send out letters to parents asking them to ensure their children remain vigilant.
Parents also received text alerts and e-mails.
In the first of the so-called incidents a 14-year-old boy claimed he was approached outside the gates of Hilltop Junior School, in Hill Avenue, Wickford, by a man last Monday.
He told police the man asked him if he wanted to be taken to see his mother.
However police have now revealed the boy has admitted there was no truth in his claims.
An Essex Police spokesman said: “The boy was interviewed with his parents on Tuesday and withdrew his statement. He said he made it up.”
Police are still probing the second incident, which happened at 4.30pm last Thursday in which two 13-year-old boys were in Aston Road, Laindon when they were approached by two men in a white Transit van.
The men asked the boys to help them push their van, but the youngsters refused, ran off and raised the alarm.
The incidents reported in Basildon come on the back of four attempted abductions reported in Southend earlier this month which sparked widespread panic amongst parents and pupils.
Those incidents prompted many schools in Basildon to talk to children about “stranger danger”.
Comments are closed on this article.