Option B thrown out in Lower Thames Crossing debate

Echo: Option B thrown out in Lower Thames Crossing debate Option B thrown out in Lower Thames Crossing debate

GOVERNMENT bosses have thrown out Option B for a Lower Thames Crossing.

The decision was announced this morning in Parliament with Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin saying Option B, which would have connected the A2 with the A1089, had ‘the weakest case.’

He revealed Option B was given limited support as it would jeopardise major redevelopment of the Swanscombe Peninsula, in Kent.

We reported Option B was likely to be dismissed earlier in the week.

The two remaining options are Option A, which would see another crossing built next to the current Dartford-Thurrock crossing and Option C, which would connect the M2 with the A13 and the M25 between junctions 29 and 30.

Option C has been heavily criticised by MPs Jackie Doyle-Price and Stephen Metcalfe.

The announcement means Options A and C will be kept open until more environmental studies are carried out, which include studying potential further improvements on the M25 and A13.

The Highways Agency has already begun preparations so that the crossing can be delivered as quickly as possible once the final location has been decided.

Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin said: “We had over 5,700 responses to the consultation and we have carefully considered each of them. Ruling out the least attractive option now gives some clarity for local residents and businesses.

“We are committed to making a decision on the location of the new crossing as soon as possible, but we recognise that whatever crossing location is chosen it will have significant impact for people in the area and the economy. These are tough decisions to be made and must not be taken lightly.”

Free-flowing tolls will be introduced from October 2014 to reduce congestion.

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:00am Thu 12 Dec 13

Fred the Phoenix says...

Cross the Thames from CANVEY! That is the most logical crossing point!
Cross the Thames from CANVEY! That is the most logical crossing point! Fred the Phoenix

10:49am Thu 12 Dec 13

John T Pharro says...

Fred the Phoenix wrote:
Cross the Thames from CANVEY! That is the most logical crossing point!
Typical of the Canvey anti's just any excuse to take a swipe at Canvey without taking into account how preposterous a crossing from there woukd be. Like the distance is about 3 miles across the Thames Estuary and would cost millions of £s more. Just where do you propose the actual bridge would start or are you going to suggest a causeway? If the latter how would the ships reach the new port? Your idea has even less chance than Barmy Boris's proposed Thames Estuary airport which has already cost taxpayers goodness knows how much money in plans and if the latest news is correct is about to be firmly rejected.
[quote][p][bold]Fred the Phoenix[/bold] wrote: Cross the Thames from CANVEY! That is the most logical crossing point![/p][/quote]Typical of the Canvey anti's just any excuse to take a swipe at Canvey without taking into account how preposterous a crossing from there woukd be. Like the distance is about 3 miles across the Thames Estuary and would cost millions of £s more. Just where do you propose the actual bridge would start or are you going to suggest a causeway? If the latter how would the ships reach the new port? Your idea has even less chance than Barmy Boris's proposed Thames Estuary airport which has already cost taxpayers goodness knows how much money in plans and if the latest news is correct is about to be firmly rejected. John T Pharro

11:26am Thu 12 Dec 13

stuart695 says...

Option B has been cancelled purely on the basis of potential leisure developments on the Kent side, not due to the blight on existing humal lives on the Thurrock side. The government continue to view Thurrock as a building site to do with as they wsh. Presumably it is impossible to make a judgement on the crossing until they have the resutls of the London airports consultation. The crossing location must be dependent on this making a case for Boris Island or Stansted expansion. Rumours are it suggests Stansted expansion which must favour option C.Thurrock should be making every effort to ensure as much as possible of the new route is tunnelled. If they can do crossrail by tunnel through London they can certainly tunnel large parts of a thames crossing by tunnel. HS2 includes several long tunnels inc a 5.5mile on in west london and a 7.5mile one near manchester/ and 11 miles through the chilterns.
Option B has been cancelled purely on the basis of potential leisure developments on the Kent side, not due to the blight on existing humal lives on the Thurrock side. The government continue to view Thurrock as a building site to do with as they wsh. Presumably it is impossible to make a judgement on the crossing until they have the resutls of the London airports consultation. The crossing location must be dependent on this making a case for Boris Island or Stansted expansion. Rumours are it suggests Stansted expansion which must favour option C.Thurrock should be making every effort to ensure as much as possible of the new route is tunnelled. If they can do crossrail by tunnel through London they can certainly tunnel large parts of a thames crossing by tunnel. HS2 includes several long tunnels inc a 5.5mile on in west london and a 7.5mile one near manchester/ and 11 miles through the chilterns. stuart695

12:13pm Thu 12 Dec 13

Kim Gandy says...

Fred the Phoenix wrote:
Cross the Thames from CANVEY! That is the most logical crossing point!
Explain how. Where would the crossing "land" and what about the pressure on the already beleaguered road system around Canvey; the neverending A130 project that will probably finished in time for the next millennium.

Canvey has a lot of housing packed onto one small island. Where do you propose this crossing will go?

Just interested to know... it has to negotiate the river at that point, width etc and also toll booths etc etc...

Most interested to hear your proposal.
[quote][p][bold]Fred the Phoenix[/bold] wrote: Cross the Thames from CANVEY! That is the most logical crossing point![/p][/quote]Explain how. Where would the crossing "land" and what about the pressure on the already beleaguered road system around Canvey; the neverending A130 project that will probably finished in time for the next millennium. Canvey has a lot of housing packed onto one small island. Where do you propose this crossing will go? Just interested to know... it has to negotiate the river at that point, width etc and also toll booths etc etc... Most interested to hear your proposal. Kim Gandy

12:29pm Thu 12 Dec 13

iknowbetter says...

Kim Gandy wrote:
Fred the Phoenix wrote:
Cross the Thames from CANVEY! That is the most logical crossing point!
Explain how. Where would the crossing "land" and what about the pressure on the already beleaguered road system around Canvey; the neverending A130 project that will probably finished in time for the next millennium.

Canvey has a lot of housing packed onto one small island. Where do you propose this crossing will go?

Just interested to know... it has to negotiate the river at that point, width etc and also toll booths etc etc...

Most interested to hear your proposal.
There were plans drawn up 20 years ago Kim to locate a crossing where the Octane Jetty is now. It raised its ugly head again 5 years ago.
I like your bit about the never ending a130 project, so true!!
[quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fred the Phoenix[/bold] wrote: Cross the Thames from CANVEY! That is the most logical crossing point![/p][/quote]Explain how. Where would the crossing "land" and what about the pressure on the already beleaguered road system around Canvey; the neverending A130 project that will probably finished in time for the next millennium. Canvey has a lot of housing packed onto one small island. Where do you propose this crossing will go? Just interested to know... it has to negotiate the river at that point, width etc and also toll booths etc etc... Most interested to hear your proposal.[/p][/quote]There were plans drawn up 20 years ago Kim to locate a crossing where the Octane Jetty is now. It raised its ugly head again 5 years ago. I like your bit about the never ending a130 project, so true!! iknowbetter

12:31pm Thu 12 Dec 13

Nowthatsworthknowing says...

Canvey would make the ideal spring board for this crossing, with an adjoining bridge to the London Gateway, thousands of container lorries could avoid the mainland routes, simply by leaving from Canvey's vast under used water fronts.
Canvey would make the ideal spring board for this crossing, with an adjoining bridge to the London Gateway, thousands of container lorries could avoid the mainland routes, simply by leaving from Canvey's vast under used water fronts. Nowthatsworthknowing

1:03pm Thu 12 Dec 13

aerobic1 says...

When as residents are we to be told in more detail what is going on with Grays - also when is the Paramount Theme Park actually meant to be started on - I heard that the delay was due to particular wild life being there - are they to be moved on elsewhere. This theme park will certainly bring life to Swanscombe and will be great for us in Grays to look at and use - also will Grays be developed more due to this, so that the Grays Riverside will look better - did know of some plans for Riverside - the Grays Masterplan online was looking really good for for front - is this ever going to come to pass - as said we as residents need to know what is happening and will determine whether we stay in Grays or look for another town to live in, where we have not got to wait so long for regeneration.... the town centre needs constant support - again I say this as it is so quiet there, traders and shops need everyones support, even if just a little money spent.
When as residents are we to be told in more detail what is going on with Grays - also when is the Paramount Theme Park actually meant to be started on - I heard that the delay was due to particular wild life being there - are they to be moved on elsewhere. This theme park will certainly bring life to Swanscombe and will be great for us in Grays to look at and use - also will Grays be developed more due to this, so that the Grays Riverside will look better - did know of some plans for Riverside - the Grays Masterplan online was looking really good for for front - is this ever going to come to pass - as said we as residents need to know what is happening and will determine whether we stay in Grays or look for another town to live in, where we have not got to wait so long for regeneration.... the town centre needs constant support - again I say this as it is so quiet there, traders and shops need everyones support, even if just a little money spent. aerobic1

1:25pm Thu 12 Dec 13

iknowbetter says...

aerobic1 wrote:
When as residents are we to be told in more detail what is going on with Grays - also when is the Paramount Theme Park actually meant to be started on - I heard that the delay was due to particular wild life being there - are they to be moved on elsewhere. This theme park will certainly bring life to Swanscombe and will be great for us in Grays to look at and use - also will Grays be developed more due to this, so that the Grays Riverside will look better - did know of some plans for Riverside - the Grays Masterplan online was looking really good for for front - is this ever going to come to pass - as said we as residents need to know what is happening and will determine whether we stay in Grays or look for another town to live in, where we have not got to wait so long for regeneration.... the town centre needs constant support - again I say this as it is so quiet there, traders and shops need everyones support, even if just a little money spent.
With respect aerobic1 but have you actually contacted your local Councillor to ask these questions?
Its all well and good displaying your frustrations on a newspaper website forum but does little in the way of action dont you think.
If you feel so strongly about these things then maybe you should do something a bit more positive about it.
[quote][p][bold]aerobic1[/bold] wrote: When as residents are we to be told in more detail what is going on with Grays - also when is the Paramount Theme Park actually meant to be started on - I heard that the delay was due to particular wild life being there - are they to be moved on elsewhere. This theme park will certainly bring life to Swanscombe and will be great for us in Grays to look at and use - also will Grays be developed more due to this, so that the Grays Riverside will look better - did know of some plans for Riverside - the Grays Masterplan online was looking really good for for front - is this ever going to come to pass - as said we as residents need to know what is happening and will determine whether we stay in Grays or look for another town to live in, where we have not got to wait so long for regeneration.... the town centre needs constant support - again I say this as it is so quiet there, traders and shops need everyones support, even if just a little money spent.[/p][/quote]With respect aerobic1 but have you actually contacted your local Councillor to ask these questions? Its all well and good displaying your frustrations on a newspaper website forum but does little in the way of action dont you think. If you feel so strongly about these things then maybe you should do something a bit more positive about it. iknowbetter

6:04pm Thu 12 Dec 13

Living the La Vida Legra says...

John T Pharro wrote:
Fred the Phoenix wrote:
Cross the Thames from CANVEY! That is the most logical crossing point!
Typical of the Canvey anti's just any excuse to take a swipe at Canvey without taking into account how preposterous a crossing from there woukd be. Like the distance is about 3 miles across the Thames Estuary and would cost millions of £s more. Just where do you propose the actual bridge would start or are you going to suggest a causeway? If the latter how would the ships reach the new port? Your idea has even less chance than Barmy Boris's proposed Thames Estuary airport which has already cost taxpayers goodness knows how much money in plans and if the latest news is correct is about to be firmly rejected.
Get set for disappointment coming your way approx 20 mths
[quote][p][bold]John T Pharro[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fred the Phoenix[/bold] wrote: Cross the Thames from CANVEY! That is the most logical crossing point![/p][/quote]Typical of the Canvey anti's just any excuse to take a swipe at Canvey without taking into account how preposterous a crossing from there woukd be. Like the distance is about 3 miles across the Thames Estuary and would cost millions of £s more. Just where do you propose the actual bridge would start or are you going to suggest a causeway? If the latter how would the ships reach the new port? Your idea has even less chance than Barmy Boris's proposed Thames Estuary airport which has already cost taxpayers goodness knows how much money in plans and if the latest news is correct is about to be firmly rejected.[/p][/quote]Get set for disappointment coming your way approx 20 mths Living the La Vida Legra

7:02pm Thu 12 Dec 13

John T Pharro says...

Living the La Vida Legra wrote:
John T Pharro wrote:
Fred the Phoenix wrote:
Cross the Thames from CANVEY! That is the most logical crossing point!
Typical of the Canvey anti's just any excuse to take a swipe at Canvey without taking into account how preposterous a crossing from there woukd be. Like the distance is about 3 miles across the Thames Estuary and would cost millions of £s more. Just where do you propose the actual bridge would start or are you going to suggest a causeway? If the latter how would the ships reach the new port? Your idea has even less chance than Barmy Boris's proposed Thames Estuary airport which has already cost taxpayers goodness knows how much money in plans and if the latest news is correct is about to be firmly rejected.
Get set for disappointment coming your way approx 20 mths
Just what am I to be disappointed about? The Thames Airport or the building of a crossing from Canvey which isn't even proposed?
[quote][p][bold]Living the La Vida Legra[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]John T Pharro[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fred the Phoenix[/bold] wrote: Cross the Thames from CANVEY! That is the most logical crossing point![/p][/quote]Typical of the Canvey anti's just any excuse to take a swipe at Canvey without taking into account how preposterous a crossing from there woukd be. Like the distance is about 3 miles across the Thames Estuary and would cost millions of £s more. Just where do you propose the actual bridge would start or are you going to suggest a causeway? If the latter how would the ships reach the new port? Your idea has even less chance than Barmy Boris's proposed Thames Estuary airport which has already cost taxpayers goodness knows how much money in plans and if the latest news is correct is about to be firmly rejected.[/p][/quote]Get set for disappointment coming your way approx 20 mths[/p][/quote]Just what am I to be disappointed about? The Thames Airport or the building of a crossing from Canvey which isn't even proposed? John T Pharro

7:08pm Thu 12 Dec 13

John T Pharro says...

Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
Canvey would make the ideal spring board for this crossing, with an adjoining bridge to the London Gateway, thousands of container lorries could avoid the mainland routes, simply by leaving from Canvey's vast under used water fronts.
Try telling that to the RSBP who have the 100 year lease on the so called by you "under used water fronts". The remainder is already developed.
[quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: Canvey would make the ideal spring board for this crossing, with an adjoining bridge to the London Gateway, thousands of container lorries could avoid the mainland routes, simply by leaving from Canvey's vast under used water fronts.[/p][/quote]Try telling that to the RSBP who have the 100 year lease on the so called by you "under used water fronts". The remainder is already developed. John T Pharro

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree