Flooding is ruining our cafe business

Echo: Flooding is ruining our cafe business Flooding is ruining our cafe business

A FRUSTRATED trader has lost half her custom on some of the busiest days of the year because a main road has been flooded for nearly two weeks.

Lindsay Topping, manager at Labworth Cafe in Furtherwick Road, Canvey, slammed Essex County Council for not pumping water from the road days ago after the third round of flooding in less than six months.

Nearly a foot of water has blocked customers reaching Eastern and Western Esplanade. Rain has also caused chaos at the restaurant with repairs to the building now needed.

Manager Lindsay Topping said: “It’s really bad and getting worse.

“They are not pumping the water away and it’s definitely affecting us. No one is coming up to us because no one can get to us.”

Instead of the usual 50 customers coming in for lunch, plus more for breakfast, only 20 to 30 people went to the cafe on Friday.

Water started filling the south end of Furtherwick Road nearly two weeks ago. Now it is overflowing pavements and up to garden walls.

Miss Topping added: “We feel like we are hitting our heads against a brick wall. A few of our customers have called the council expressing their concerns.

We only opened for the first time since Christmas on Friday, but the weather has kept people away. We are struggling to get in and out ourselves, it’s not going to encourage people to come up here.

“They need to pump it but nothing has been done about it.

There’s no one to contact, everyone seems to pass the buck.”

The cafe owners are now also having to fork out for a new floor after the cafe flooded on Saturday and Monday with water running in through windows and down walls.

Miss Topping added: “It’s really frustrating. Business is hard.

It might have been alright but with a mixture of the flooded road and the bad weather it doesn’t encourage anyone to come out.”

The Echo tried to contact Essex County Council about the issue, but the authority declined to comment.

But a spokeswoman said: “We do have additional crews working due to the bad weather we are experiencing and are trying to get round and fix things as quickly as possible.”

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:11am Tue 31 Dec 13

Nowthatsworthknowing says...

Please don't have the temerity of blaming the council for the heavy rains, and your own failings, in so far as ensuring your cafe's ability to withstand a rain shower.
Please don't have the temerity of blaming the council for the heavy rains, and your own failings, in so far as ensuring your cafe's ability to withstand a rain shower. Nowthatsworthknowing

6:12am Tue 31 Dec 13

Nowthatsworthknowing says...

Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
Please don't have the temerity of blaming the council for the heavy rains, and your own failings, in so far as ensuring your cafe's ability to withstand a rain shower.
Might help if they had an entrance door, which actually closed......
[quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: Please don't have the temerity of blaming the council for the heavy rains, and your own failings, in so far as ensuring your cafe's ability to withstand a rain shower.[/p][/quote]Might help if they had an entrance door, which actually closed...... Nowthatsworthknowing

12:20pm Tue 31 Dec 13

DogsMessInLeigh says...

"Instead of the usual 50 customers coming in for lunch, plus more for breakfast, only 20 to 30 people went to the cafe on Friday. "


maybe those others chose not to venture out and stayed in doors..most odd seeing as 30 people made it through the flood and 20 couldn't.
"Instead of the usual 50 customers coming in for lunch, plus more for breakfast, only 20 to 30 people went to the cafe on Friday. " maybe those others chose not to venture out and stayed in doors..most odd seeing as 30 people made it through the flood and 20 couldn't. DogsMessInLeigh

5:58pm Tue 31 Dec 13

johanuk says...

Must admit i agree with Lindsay Topping, every time it rains hard the road floods, council need to sort the drainage there!
Must admit i agree with Lindsay Topping, every time it rains hard the road floods, council need to sort the drainage there! johanuk

6:30pm Tue 31 Dec 13

Nowthatsworthknowing says...

Sorry but who cares, if a business out to profit loses a little, in these times, hardship reigns, and these people blame the rains, what if it was snow, would they then suggest a lack of ploughs???
Sorry but who cares, if a business out to profit loses a little, in these times, hardship reigns, and these people blame the rains, what if it was snow, would they then suggest a lack of ploughs??? Nowthatsworthknowing

6:47pm Tue 31 Dec 13

iknowbetter says...

Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
Sorry but who cares, if a business out to profit loses a little, in these times, hardship reigns, and these people blame the rains, what if it was snow, would they then suggest a lack of ploughs???
And there you have it folks the Echo's version of the VILLAGE IDIOT !!!!
[quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: Sorry but who cares, if a business out to profit loses a little, in these times, hardship reigns, and these people blame the rains, what if it was snow, would they then suggest a lack of ploughs???[/p][/quote]And there you have it folks the Echo's version of the VILLAGE IDIOT !!!! iknowbetter

7:01pm Tue 31 Dec 13

Nowthatsworthknowing says...

iknowbetter wrote:
Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
Sorry but who cares, if a business out to profit loses a little, in these times, hardship reigns, and these people blame the rains, what if it was snow, would they then suggest a lack of ploughs???
And there you have it folks the Echo's version of the VILLAGE IDIOT !!!!
AINT IT JUST THE TRUTH, when did you get out of hospital>>
[quote][p][bold]iknowbetter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: Sorry but who cares, if a business out to profit loses a little, in these times, hardship reigns, and these people blame the rains, what if it was snow, would they then suggest a lack of ploughs???[/p][/quote]And there you have it folks the Echo's version of the VILLAGE IDIOT !!!![/p][/quote]AINT IT JUST THE TRUTH, when did you get out of hospital>> Nowthatsworthknowing

7:26pm Tue 31 Dec 13

iknowbetter says...

Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
iknowbetter wrote:
Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
Sorry but who cares, if a business out to profit loses a little, in these times, hardship reigns, and these people blame the rains, what if it was snow, would they then suggest a lack of ploughs???
And there you have it folks the Echo's version of the VILLAGE IDIOT !!!!
AINT IT JUST THE TRUTH, when did you get out of hospital>>
I'm not sure what goes on in your sad fantasy world but you really couldn't be further from the truth.
A village is missing you!!
[quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]iknowbetter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: Sorry but who cares, if a business out to profit loses a little, in these times, hardship reigns, and these people blame the rains, what if it was snow, would they then suggest a lack of ploughs???[/p][/quote]And there you have it folks the Echo's version of the VILLAGE IDIOT !!!![/p][/quote]AINT IT JUST THE TRUTH, when did you get out of hospital>>[/p][/quote]I'm not sure what goes on in your sad fantasy world but you really couldn't be further from the truth. A village is missing you!! iknowbetter

8:44am Wed 1 Jan 14

Yermotherwouldn'tlikeme says...

iknowbetter wrote:
Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
iknowbetter wrote:
Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
Sorry but who cares, if a business out to profit loses a little, in these times, hardship reigns, and these people blame the rains, what if it was snow, would they then suggest a lack of ploughs???
And there you have it folks the Echo's version of the VILLAGE IDIOT !!!!
AINT IT JUST THE TRUTH, when did you get out of hospital>>
I'm not sure what goes on in your sad fantasy world but you really couldn't be further from the truth.
A village is missing you!!
Do you ever write about the stories in hand ? because all I see you doing, is trolling other posters.
[quote][p][bold]iknowbetter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]iknowbetter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: Sorry but who cares, if a business out to profit loses a little, in these times, hardship reigns, and these people blame the rains, what if it was snow, would they then suggest a lack of ploughs???[/p][/quote]And there you have it folks the Echo's version of the VILLAGE IDIOT !!!![/p][/quote]AINT IT JUST THE TRUTH, when did you get out of hospital>>[/p][/quote]I'm not sure what goes on in your sad fantasy world but you really couldn't be further from the truth. A village is missing you!![/p][/quote]Do you ever write about the stories in hand ? because all I see you doing, is trolling other posters. Yermotherwouldn'tlikeme

2:21pm Wed 1 Jan 14

Nowthatsworthknowing says...

And theres more rain, on the way, good for the garden, when you live on a hill
And theres more rain, on the way, good for the garden, when you live on a hill Nowthatsworthknowing

2:34pm Wed 1 Jan 14

Nowthatsworthknowing says...

Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
Please don't have the temerity of blaming the council for the heavy rains, and your own failings, in so far as ensuring your cafe's ability to withstand a rain shower.
Might help if they had an entrance door, which actually closed......
Yes the TRUTH hurts, I would say your Cafe isn't fit for purpose, as it lets in so much polluted water, you yourselves have opened this can of worms, now you will enjoy them squirming around in the moist filth, looking forward to the environmental health inspectors, closing you down.
[quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: Please don't have the temerity of blaming the council for the heavy rains, and your own failings, in so far as ensuring your cafe's ability to withstand a rain shower.[/p][/quote]Might help if they had an entrance door, which actually closed......[/p][/quote]Yes the TRUTH hurts, I would say your Cafe isn't fit for purpose, as it lets in so much polluted water, you yourselves have opened this can of worms, now you will enjoy them squirming around in the moist filth, looking forward to the environmental health inspectors, closing you down. Nowthatsworthknowing

3:30pm Wed 1 Jan 14

Yermotherwouldn'tlikeme says...

Any Cafes which have been flooded cannot reopen, have just sloshed a wet mop around, they have to inform the environmental health, to regain the allowance to reopen, I will contact them and point out a few concerns, shown here.
Any Cafes which have been flooded cannot reopen, have just sloshed a wet mop around, they have to inform the environmental health, to regain the allowance to reopen, I will contact them and point out a few concerns, shown here. Yermotherwouldn'tlikeme

3:33pm Wed 1 Jan 14

Yermotherwouldn'tlikeme says...

Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
Please don't have the temerity of blaming the council for the heavy rains, and your own failings, in so far as ensuring your cafe's ability to withstand a rain shower.
Might help if they had an entrance door, which actually closed......
Ive been told this door was sand bagged today, another worry, as it might be the case the eatery, will have to close, I'm contacting the council and health over the statutes governing such places...
[quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: Please don't have the temerity of blaming the council for the heavy rains, and your own failings, in so far as ensuring your cafe's ability to withstand a rain shower.[/p][/quote]Might help if they had an entrance door, which actually closed......[/p][/quote]Ive been told this door was sand bagged today, another worry, as it might be the case the eatery, will have to close, I'm contacting the council and health over the statutes governing such places... Yermotherwouldn'tlikeme

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree