Town crowned commuter hot spot of the south east

Town crowned commuter hot spot of the south east

Town crowned commuter hot spot of the south east

First published in News by

BASILDON has been named the commuter hot spot of the south east, new research has confirmed.

Property consultant CBRE has found the town offers the best value for money for property prices and rail fares.

They said with an average property costing only £163,121 and a monthly travel card coming in at £312.30, the average monthly costs of mortgage plus transport is £893.45.

Tony Ball, leader of Basildon Council, said it proves Basildon is a great place to live, work and do business.

He said: “Along with providing great value to homeowners, we also feel the town and the borough offers a lot more, including first-class leisure facilities, good shopping facilities, job prospects and a pleasant and green environment to live.”

Flats costing £165,000 at the new Gloucester Park development Acacia Park sold before they have even been built, with home buyers attracted to the developing area.

Jason Colmer, Barratt Homes sales and marketing director said: “We have experienced an increase of home buyers moving to Acacia Park from East London in the last six months.

“People are increasingly looking for comfortable homes of quality, within reach of the City, but without the City price tag.

“The development is convenient to local amenities, as well as road and rail travel into London in under less than 30 minutes.

“As a result, Acacia Park has sold homes faster than we anticipated.”

The next phase of the development, Gloucester Gate, which offers two, three and four bedroom homes and flats from £170,000, is already attracting lots of interest.

Malcolm Buckley, Basildon councillor responsible for regeneration, said: “Basildon offers good value for money and a good standard of living for people who choose to live in the borough.

“It’s excellent news and we hope with all the work we have in progress it will become even better.”

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:36am Mon 13 Jan 14

Nowthatsworthknowing says...

Surely top Commuter town, means its so awful that everyone leaves town for the day to get work elsewhere.
Surely top Commuter town, means its so awful that everyone leaves town for the day to get work elsewhere. Nowthatsworthknowing
  • Score: 22

10:14am Mon 13 Jan 14

Howard Cháse says...

Have all the apartments in the Morello Quarter sold? Including the ones not built yet?

How about all those onez they're building in Five Links?
Have all the apartments in the Morello Quarter sold? Including the ones not built yet? How about all those onez they're building in Five Links? Howard Cháse
  • Score: 5

11:39am Mon 13 Jan 14

JoeBlogs2 says...

People of Basildon need to wake up and get a Job in London there are loads on the table and its only 35 minutes away just sign on at a few agencies

Essex people make great employees with our sense of humour etc
People of Basildon need to wake up and get a Job in London there are loads on the table and its only 35 minutes away just sign on at a few agencies Essex people make great employees with our sense of humour etc JoeBlogs2
  • Score: 4

4:43pm Mon 13 Jan 14

Lauqhlast. says...

JoeBlogs2 wrote:
People of Basildon need to wake up and get a Job in London there are loads on the table and its only 35 minutes away just sign on at a few agencies

Essex people make great employees with our sense of humour etc
Yes the sense of humour is always on show on these comment sections...especiall
y the good old racial humour...
[quote][p][bold]JoeBlogs2[/bold] wrote: People of Basildon need to wake up and get a Job in London there are loads on the table and its only 35 minutes away just sign on at a few agencies Essex people make great employees with our sense of humour etc[/p][/quote]Yes the sense of humour is always on show on these comment sections...especiall y the good old racial humour... Lauqhlast.
  • Score: 1

6:00pm Mon 13 Jan 14

Kim Gandy says...

Lauqhlast. wrote:
JoeBlogs2 wrote:
People of Basildon need to wake up and get a Job in London there are loads on the table and its only 35 minutes away just sign on at a few agencies

Essex people make great employees with our sense of humour etc
Yes the sense of humour is always on show on these comment sections...especiall

y the good old racial humour...
what is racist about that comment?

Come on, where in this comment is the racism? Point it out so we can all see.

If I said I had porridge for breakfast you'd find racism in it.

You can always be relied on to talk utter utter cr@p. Why don't you give your @ss a chance. It might make more sense.

What an idiot.
[quote][p][bold]Lauqhlast.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JoeBlogs2[/bold] wrote: People of Basildon need to wake up and get a Job in London there are loads on the table and its only 35 minutes away just sign on at a few agencies Essex people make great employees with our sense of humour etc[/p][/quote]Yes the sense of humour is always on show on these comment sections...especiall y the good old racial humour...[/p][/quote]what is racist about that comment? Come on, where in this comment is the racism? Point it out so we can all see. If I said I had porridge for breakfast you'd find racism in it. You can always be relied on to talk utter utter cr@p. Why don't you give your @ss a chance. It might make more sense. What an idiot. Kim Gandy
  • Score: 2

6:06pm Mon 13 Jan 14

Kim Gandy says...

I'm waiting for Tony Ball to announce special help and measures for the young people of this borough, with assistance on the housing ladder. Preferential treatment, specially appointed Guardian- job appointed persons to assist them in their search and lots of other free services courtesy of the taxpayer.

What's sauce for the goose..

Now pick the holes in that, Echo website's equivalent to Matthew Hopkins... he looked for any signs of witchcraft even if they weren't there... you are the same with your pet subject aren't you LL?

Still not qualifying your remarks with a real name though are you? Oh and report me to who you like. I really don't care. I am for genuine equality, you are a self hating racist bigot.
I'm waiting for Tony Ball to announce special help and measures for the young people of this borough, with assistance on the housing ladder. Preferential treatment, specially appointed Guardian- job appointed persons to assist them in their search and lots of other free services courtesy of the taxpayer. What's sauce for the goose.. Now pick the holes in that, Echo website's equivalent to Matthew Hopkins... he looked for any signs of witchcraft even if they weren't there... you are the same with your pet subject aren't you LL? Still not qualifying your remarks with a real name though are you? Oh and report me to who you like. I really don't care. I am for genuine equality, you are a self hating racist bigot. Kim Gandy
  • Score: 0

10:41am Tue 14 Jan 14

stopmoaning1 says...

JoeBlogs2 wrote:
People of Basildon need to wake up and get a Job in London there are loads on the table and its only 35 minutes away just sign on at a few agencies

Essex people make great employees with our sense of humour etc
But they are. That's what this story is about

Town crowned commuter hot spot of the south east
[quote][p][bold]JoeBlogs2[/bold] wrote: People of Basildon need to wake up and get a Job in London there are loads on the table and its only 35 minutes away just sign on at a few agencies Essex people make great employees with our sense of humour etc[/p][/quote]But they are. That's what this story is about Town crowned commuter hot spot of the south east stopmoaning1
  • Score: 1

11:13am Tue 14 Jan 14

Howard Cháse says...

A week or so ago we had counciller Callaghan saying that people would desert Basildon to n their droves because of raising rail ticket prices.

What has he got to say about this?
A week or so ago we had counciller Callaghan saying that people would desert Basildon to n their droves because of raising rail ticket prices. What has he got to say about this? Howard Cháse
  • Score: 1

11:58am Tue 14 Jan 14

Lauqhlast. says...

Kim Gandy wrote:
Lauqhlast. wrote:
JoeBlogs2 wrote:
People of Basildon need to wake up and get a Job in London there are loads on the table and its only 35 minutes away just sign on at a few agencies

Essex people make great employees with our sense of humour etc
Yes the sense of humour is always on show on these comment sections...especiall


y the good old racial humour...
what is racist about that comment?

Come on, where in this comment is the racism? Point it out so we can all see.

If I said I had porridge for breakfast you'd find racism in it.

You can always be relied on to talk utter utter cr@p. Why don't you give your @ss a chance. It might make more sense.

What an idiot.
Kim, get a grip..if you cant see the point being made why comment?
[quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lauqhlast.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JoeBlogs2[/bold] wrote: People of Basildon need to wake up and get a Job in London there are loads on the table and its only 35 minutes away just sign on at a few agencies Essex people make great employees with our sense of humour etc[/p][/quote]Yes the sense of humour is always on show on these comment sections...especiall y the good old racial humour...[/p][/quote]what is racist about that comment? Come on, where in this comment is the racism? Point it out so we can all see. If I said I had porridge for breakfast you'd find racism in it. You can always be relied on to talk utter utter cr@p. Why don't you give your @ss a chance. It might make more sense. What an idiot.[/p][/quote]Kim, get a grip..if you cant see the point being made why comment? Lauqhlast.
  • Score: 0

12:00pm Tue 14 Jan 14

Lauqhlast. says...

Kim Gandy wrote:
I'm waiting for Tony Ball to announce special help and measures for the young people of this borough, with assistance on the housing ladder. Preferential treatment, specially appointed Guardian- job appointed persons to assist them in their search and lots of other free services courtesy of the taxpayer.

What's sauce for the goose..

Now pick the holes in that, Echo website's equivalent to Matthew Hopkins... he looked for any signs of witchcraft even if they weren't there... you are the same with your pet subject aren't you LL?

Still not qualifying your remarks with a real name though are you? Oh and report me to who you like. I really don't care. I am for genuine equality, you are a self hating racist bigot.
Kim dahlink, you are projecting again!
[quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: I'm waiting for Tony Ball to announce special help and measures for the young people of this borough, with assistance on the housing ladder. Preferential treatment, specially appointed Guardian- job appointed persons to assist them in their search and lots of other free services courtesy of the taxpayer. What's sauce for the goose.. Now pick the holes in that, Echo website's equivalent to Matthew Hopkins... he looked for any signs of witchcraft even if they weren't there... you are the same with your pet subject aren't you LL? Still not qualifying your remarks with a real name though are you? Oh and report me to who you like. I really don't care. I am for genuine equality, you are a self hating racist bigot.[/p][/quote]Kim dahlink, you are projecting again! Lauqhlast.
  • Score: -1

5:07pm Tue 14 Jan 14

Alekhine says...

Lauqhlast. wrote:
Kim Gandy wrote:
Lauqhlast. wrote:
JoeBlogs2 wrote: People of Basildon need to wake up and get a Job in London there are loads on the table and its only 35 minutes away just sign on at a few agencies Essex people make great employees with our sense of humour etc
Yes the sense of humour is always on show on these comment sections...especiall y the good old racial humour...
what is racist about that comment? Come on, where in this comment is the racism? Point it out so we can all see. If I said I had porridge for breakfast you'd find racism in it. You can always be relied on to talk utter utter cr@p. Why don't you give your @ss a chance. It might make more sense. What an idiot.
Kim, get a grip..if you cant see the point being made why comment?
Looks like you have just called everybody in Essex racist. Was there another point? Luckily for you, Essex man is not a race, otherwise you would have a problem.
[quote][p][bold]Lauqhlast.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lauqhlast.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JoeBlogs2[/bold] wrote: People of Basildon need to wake up and get a Job in London there are loads on the table and its only 35 minutes away just sign on at a few agencies Essex people make great employees with our sense of humour etc[/p][/quote]Yes the sense of humour is always on show on these comment sections...especiall y the good old racial humour...[/p][/quote]what is racist about that comment? Come on, where in this comment is the racism? Point it out so we can all see. If I said I had porridge for breakfast you'd find racism in it. You can always be relied on to talk utter utter cr@p. Why don't you give your @ss a chance. It might make more sense. What an idiot.[/p][/quote]Kim, get a grip..if you cant see the point being made why comment?[/p][/quote]Looks like you have just called everybody in Essex racist. Was there another point? Luckily for you, Essex man is not a race, otherwise you would have a problem. Alekhine
  • Score: 0

6:46pm Tue 14 Jan 14

321361 says...

Don't feed the Troll
Don't feed the Troll 321361
  • Score: 0

12:19pm Wed 15 Jan 14

Stamper2 says...

Time for the Council to allow more of our parks to be built over, because we apparently need more people to live in Basildon.....
Time for the Council to allow more of our parks to be built over, because we apparently need more people to live in Basildon..... Stamper2
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree