'Boris Island' would close Southend Airport

Echo: An artist's impression of the Isle of Grain scheme An artist's impression of the Isle of Grain scheme

SOUTHEND Airport would probably have to close if a “Boris Island” airport goes ahead, a Government commission has warned.

If a large new airport is built on the Isle of Grain, Kent, as London Mayor Boris Johnson has suggested, a clash of air space would mean Southend Airport – and City Airport in London - would likely need to close, the Airports Commission has warned.

The body, which is looking into how to increase airport capacity in the south east, warned this could reduce the options available to low cost airlines and reduce the overall gains to capacity over the London area overall.

In an interim report, chairman Sir Howard Davies said: “The interaction of any Isle of Grain airport with the wider London airspace system would also be challenging. As a result, although such an airport would represent a significant increase over Heathrow’s current capacity, the increase would not be as great at a system wide level.

“In particular, it would be very challenging to manage the interactions between arrivals and departures at the new airport and those at London City, suggesting the latter would have to close.

“An Isle of Grain airport would also be likely to require the closure of Southend Airport, reducing the options available to low cost carriers in the south east of England.”

The Airports Commission, which will make its final recommendations in 2015, failed to include an estuary airport in its interim shortlist in December due to “uncertainties and challenges” over its design.

But the commission agreed to look at the £112billion scheme, put forward by Wembley Stadium designer Lord Norman Foster in more details before deciding whether it should be included in the final report this year.

David Lister, operations director of Southend Airport, said: “We have been calling on the Airports Commission, and the Department of Transport charged with implementing the interim recommendations, not to forget what the Essex airport has to offer.

“With no new runways proposed before 2030 and the opening in January 2014 of Southend Airport’s extended terminal - the culmination of over £120million investment - Southend Airport is in the unique position to provide travellers to and from London, the ‘simply easier’ travelling experience.

“Our investment demonstrates the significant capacity which now exists at Southend and we can make a real difference to the congestion issues faced across the other London airports.

“We hope they would consider all this in their deliberations over the future of air capacity in the south east.”

Nigel Holdcroft, leader of Southend Council, said: “The development of a major airport on the Isle of Grain would have adverse economic and environmental effects on Southend.

“While the ability of Southend Airport to continue to operate in such circumstances is a matter of debate, the new airport would inevitably attract investment and regeneration from south Essex to north Kent and would also add yet further stress to the already overloaded public infrastructure in south east England.”

Comments (19)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:22am Wed 15 Jan 14

Nowthatsworthknowing says...

Unfortunate as it sounds, Boris Island would offer much much more than Southend, could ever hope to achieve. It would cater for long haul, worldwide flights, taking the load from Heathrow, Stansted and Gatwick, it would be close to the London Gateway port, and Tilbury.
The noise levels would be tremendous for Canvey, though nothing new in an urban area, as they are already endured at Heathrow.
Southend could revert back, to a small domestic field, as whats needed here is a match for the big ones....
Unfortunate as it sounds, Boris Island would offer much much more than Southend, could ever hope to achieve. It would cater for long haul, worldwide flights, taking the load from Heathrow, Stansted and Gatwick, it would be close to the London Gateway port, and Tilbury. The noise levels would be tremendous for Canvey, though nothing new in an urban area, as they are already endured at Heathrow. Southend could revert back, to a small domestic field, as whats needed here is a match for the big ones.... Nowthatsworthknowing
  • Score: 4

7:48am Wed 15 Jan 14

AuldGit says...

And what about Southend's ticking time bomb, the SS Montgomery?
And what about Southend's ticking time bomb, the SS Montgomery? AuldGit
  • Score: 2

10:17am Wed 15 Jan 14

Howard Cháse says...

Save the money and don't build Boris Island.
Save the money and don't build Boris Island. Howard Cháse
  • Score: -3

11:57am Wed 15 Jan 14

exBillericayDicky says...

Always thought that Boris Island would require Southend to close.

Personally I feel the idea of a Thames airport is a red herring to make Heathrow/Gatwick /Stansted expansion look a better deal.

But while they are planing to expand, build elsewhere, what about expanding RAF bases in the Sout East, surely there are some that will close in the near future, they certainly have the infrastructure to take the cargo haulage from Heathrow?
Always thought that Boris Island would require Southend to close. Personally I feel the idea of a Thames airport is a red herring to make Heathrow/Gatwick /Stansted expansion look a better deal. But while they are planing to expand, build elsewhere, what about expanding RAF bases in the Sout East, surely there are some that will close in the near future, they certainly have the infrastructure to take the cargo haulage from Heathrow? exBillericayDicky
  • Score: 8

12:42pm Wed 15 Jan 14

Nebs says...

Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
Unfortunate as it sounds, Boris Island would offer much much more than Southend, could ever hope to achieve. It would cater for long haul, worldwide flights, taking the load from Heathrow, Stansted and Gatwick, it would be close to the London Gateway port, and Tilbury.
The noise levels would be tremendous for Canvey, though nothing new in an urban area, as they are already endured at Heathrow.
Southend could revert back, to a small domestic field, as whats needed here is a match for the big ones....
Southend airport could become housing. It meets all the current compulsory requirements for new builds which are that the roads are already full and part of the land is on a flood plain.
[quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: Unfortunate as it sounds, Boris Island would offer much much more than Southend, could ever hope to achieve. It would cater for long haul, worldwide flights, taking the load from Heathrow, Stansted and Gatwick, it would be close to the London Gateway port, and Tilbury. The noise levels would be tremendous for Canvey, though nothing new in an urban area, as they are already endured at Heathrow. Southend could revert back, to a small domestic field, as whats needed here is a match for the big ones....[/p][/quote]Southend airport could become housing. It meets all the current compulsory requirements for new builds which are that the roads are already full and part of the land is on a flood plain. Nebs
  • Score: 13

1:24pm Wed 15 Jan 14

RobertFS says...

i do like the advantage of a commercial airport at Southend despite living under the flight path in Leigh.
however i have no objection to the building of an airport south of the thames provided there was major access to Kent via a bridge from Canvey to Kent.
i do like the advantage of a commercial airport at Southend despite living under the flight path in Leigh. however i have no objection to the building of an airport south of the thames provided there was major access to Kent via a bridge from Canvey to Kent. RobertFS
  • Score: 0

2:21pm Wed 15 Jan 14

whataday says...

RobertFS wrote:
i do like the advantage of a commercial airport at Southend despite living under the flight path in Leigh.
however i have no objection to the building of an airport south of the thames provided there was major access to Kent via a bridge from Canvey to Kent.
As I understand from yesterday's reports that's not going to happen - the new crossing is going to be in Thurrock. There don't seem to be any plans to give Canvey a third road
[quote][p][bold]RobertFS[/bold] wrote: i do like the advantage of a commercial airport at Southend despite living under the flight path in Leigh. however i have no objection to the building of an airport south of the thames provided there was major access to Kent via a bridge from Canvey to Kent.[/p][/quote]As I understand from yesterday's reports that's not going to happen - the new crossing is going to be in Thurrock. There don't seem to be any plans to give Canvey a third road whataday
  • Score: 1

4:27pm Wed 15 Jan 14

Shaun Butler says...

Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
Unfortunate as it sounds, Boris Island would offer much much more than Southend, could ever hope to achieve. It would cater for long haul, worldwide flights, taking the load from Heathrow, Stansted and Gatwick, it would be close to the London Gateway port, and Tilbury. The noise levels would be tremendous for Canvey, though nothing new in an urban area, as they are already endured at Heathrow. Southend could revert back, to a small domestic field, as whats needed here is a match for the big ones....
i agree, however look at the bigger picture it is never going to happen !!
[quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: Unfortunate as it sounds, Boris Island would offer much much more than Southend, could ever hope to achieve. It would cater for long haul, worldwide flights, taking the load from Heathrow, Stansted and Gatwick, it would be close to the London Gateway port, and Tilbury. The noise levels would be tremendous for Canvey, though nothing new in an urban area, as they are already endured at Heathrow. Southend could revert back, to a small domestic field, as whats needed here is a match for the big ones....[/p][/quote]i agree, however look at the bigger picture it is never going to happen !! Shaun Butler
  • Score: 6

5:12pm Wed 15 Jan 14

Nowthatsworthknowing says...

Shaun Butler wrote:
Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
Unfortunate as it sounds, Boris Island would offer much much more than Southend, could ever hope to achieve. It would cater for long haul, worldwide flights, taking the load from Heathrow, Stansted and Gatwick, it would be close to the London Gateway port, and Tilbury. The noise levels would be tremendous for Canvey, though nothing new in an urban area, as they are already endured at Heathrow. Southend could revert back, to a small domestic field, as whats needed here is a match for the big ones....
i agree, however look at the bigger picture it is never going to happen !!
Really ? why have Kent council extended the gas and electricity to the the shore of a desolate beach then? why did the dredging of the Thames for the London Gateway, circumnavigate around this proposed airport, and why have the Navy been around the the SS Montgomery for the last month ??
[quote][p][bold]Shaun Butler[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: Unfortunate as it sounds, Boris Island would offer much much more than Southend, could ever hope to achieve. It would cater for long haul, worldwide flights, taking the load from Heathrow, Stansted and Gatwick, it would be close to the London Gateway port, and Tilbury. The noise levels would be tremendous for Canvey, though nothing new in an urban area, as they are already endured at Heathrow. Southend could revert back, to a small domestic field, as whats needed here is a match for the big ones....[/p][/quote]i agree, however look at the bigger picture it is never going to happen !![/p][/quote]Really ? why have Kent council extended the gas and electricity to the the shore of a desolate beach then? why did the dredging of the Thames for the London Gateway, circumnavigate around this proposed airport, and why have the Navy been around the the SS Montgomery for the last month ?? Nowthatsworthknowing
  • Score: 7

5:34pm Wed 15 Jan 14

grippie says...

AuldGit wrote:
And what about Southend's ticking time bomb, the SS Montgomery?
http://www.echo-news
.co.uk/news/10869995
.Navy_spends___20_00
0_clearing_beach_bom
bs/
[quote][p][bold]AuldGit[/bold] wrote: And what about Southend's ticking time bomb, the SS Montgomery?[/p][/quote]http://www.echo-news .co.uk/news/10869995 .Navy_spends___20_00 0_clearing_beach_bom bs/ grippie
  • Score: 0

5:45pm Wed 15 Jan 14

chunkus04 says...

grippie wrote:
AuldGit wrote:
And what about Southend's ticking time bomb, the SS Montgomery?
http://www.echo-news

.co.uk/news/10869995

.Navy_spends___20_00

0_clearing_beach_bom

bs/
what does this have to do with the Montgomery?? all it is talking about is the bombs and shells found along the foreshore...
[quote][p][bold]grippie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AuldGit[/bold] wrote: And what about Southend's ticking time bomb, the SS Montgomery?[/p][/quote]http://www.echo-news .co.uk/news/10869995 .Navy_spends___20_00 0_clearing_beach_bom bs/[/p][/quote]what does this have to do with the Montgomery?? all it is talking about is the bombs and shells found along the foreshore... chunkus04
  • Score: 6

6:14pm Wed 15 Jan 14

You'dfeelbetterforknowingthat says...

Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
Shaun Butler wrote:
Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
Unfortunate as it sounds, Boris Island would offer much much more than Southend, could ever hope to achieve. It would cater for long haul, worldwide flights, taking the load from Heathrow, Stansted and Gatwick, it would be close to the London Gateway port, and Tilbury. The noise levels would be tremendous for Canvey, though nothing new in an urban area, as they are already endured at Heathrow. Southend could revert back, to a small domestic field, as whats needed here is a match for the big ones....
i agree, however look at the bigger picture it is never going to happen !!
Really ? why have Kent council extended the gas and electricity to the the shore of a desolate beach then? why did the dredging of the Thames for the London Gateway, circumnavigate around this proposed airport, and why have the Navy been around the the SS Montgomery for the last month ??
According to a Gov.t white paper, the SS Montgomery could have flotation bags placed under it, and the whole thing towed towards the middle of the North sea.
[quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shaun Butler[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: Unfortunate as it sounds, Boris Island would offer much much more than Southend, could ever hope to achieve. It would cater for long haul, worldwide flights, taking the load from Heathrow, Stansted and Gatwick, it would be close to the London Gateway port, and Tilbury. The noise levels would be tremendous for Canvey, though nothing new in an urban area, as they are already endured at Heathrow. Southend could revert back, to a small domestic field, as whats needed here is a match for the big ones....[/p][/quote]i agree, however look at the bigger picture it is never going to happen !![/p][/quote]Really ? why have Kent council extended the gas and electricity to the the shore of a desolate beach then? why did the dredging of the Thames for the London Gateway, circumnavigate around this proposed airport, and why have the Navy been around the the SS Montgomery for the last month ??[/p][/quote]According to a Gov.t white paper, the SS Montgomery could have flotation bags placed under it, and the whole thing towed towards the middle of the North sea. You'dfeelbetterforknowingthat
  • Score: 5

9:34pm Wed 15 Jan 14

Nebs says...

You'dfeelbetterforkn
owingthat
wrote:
Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
Shaun Butler wrote:
Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
Unfortunate as it sounds, Boris Island would offer much much more than Southend, could ever hope to achieve. It would cater for long haul, worldwide flights, taking the load from Heathrow, Stansted and Gatwick, it would be close to the London Gateway port, and Tilbury. The noise levels would be tremendous for Canvey, though nothing new in an urban area, as they are already endured at Heathrow. Southend could revert back, to a small domestic field, as whats needed here is a match for the big ones....
i agree, however look at the bigger picture it is never going to happen !!
Really ? why have Kent council extended the gas and electricity to the the shore of a desolate beach then? why did the dredging of the Thames for the London Gateway, circumnavigate around this proposed airport, and why have the Navy been around the the SS Montgomery for the last month ??
According to a Gov.t white paper, the SS Montgomery could have flotation bags placed under it, and the whole thing towed towards the middle of the North sea.
Hope the USA get the bill, it's their bombs. They were very quick to go after Shell for an oil slick, not so quick to clean up their own mess.
[quote][p][bold]You'dfeelbetterforkn owingthat[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shaun Butler[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: Unfortunate as it sounds, Boris Island would offer much much more than Southend, could ever hope to achieve. It would cater for long haul, worldwide flights, taking the load from Heathrow, Stansted and Gatwick, it would be close to the London Gateway port, and Tilbury. The noise levels would be tremendous for Canvey, though nothing new in an urban area, as they are already endured at Heathrow. Southend could revert back, to a small domestic field, as whats needed here is a match for the big ones....[/p][/quote]i agree, however look at the bigger picture it is never going to happen !![/p][/quote]Really ? why have Kent council extended the gas and electricity to the the shore of a desolate beach then? why did the dredging of the Thames for the London Gateway, circumnavigate around this proposed airport, and why have the Navy been around the the SS Montgomery for the last month ??[/p][/quote]According to a Gov.t white paper, the SS Montgomery could have flotation bags placed under it, and the whole thing towed towards the middle of the North sea.[/p][/quote]Hope the USA get the bill, it's their bombs. They were very quick to go after Shell for an oil slick, not so quick to clean up their own mess. Nebs
  • Score: -2

1:49pm Thu 16 Jan 14

jayman says...

if Southend airport where to close due to competition and development then Southend airport itself is in a naturally weak position.

we should not sacrifice future aviation projects because of unstable, vulnerable, popped-up old infrastructure that is not fit for economic purpose..
if Southend airport where to close due to competition and development then Southend airport itself is in a naturally weak position. we should not sacrifice future aviation projects because of unstable, vulnerable, popped-up old infrastructure that is not fit for economic purpose.. jayman
  • Score: 4

1:55pm Thu 16 Jan 14

norglishman says...

The only issue I see with the Isle of Grain airport is the same problem that City airport has. When I was a regular traveller to work in Europe I have been stranded at City airport due to fog - especially in the autumn & spring. This has obviously been overlooked or ignored by Boris in his passion to steamroller his ideas though the red-tape.
The only issue I see with the Isle of Grain airport is the same problem that City airport has. When I was a regular traveller to work in Europe I have been stranded at City airport due to fog - especially in the autumn & spring. This has obviously been overlooked or ignored by Boris in his passion to steamroller his ideas though the red-tape. norglishman
  • Score: 0

2:29pm Thu 16 Jan 14

Eric the Red says...

2030? By then, all the oil would have run out - and nobody builds a plane that doesn't run on oil.
2030? By then, all the oil would have run out - and nobody builds a plane that doesn't run on oil. Eric the Red
  • Score: 5

7:34pm Thu 16 Jan 14

tophat27dt says...

Forget it...it will NEVER happen..lets keep discussing the poor CCTV images of criminals.
Forget it...it will NEVER happen..lets keep discussing the poor CCTV images of criminals. tophat27dt
  • Score: 1

2:23am Fri 17 Jan 14

LadyOr says...

Nebs wrote:
You'dfeelbetterforkn

owingthat
wrote:
Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
Shaun Butler wrote:
Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
Unfortunate as it sounds, Boris Island would offer much much more than Southend, could ever hope to achieve. It would cater for long haul, worldwide flights, taking the load from Heathrow, Stansted and Gatwick, it would be close to the London Gateway port, and Tilbury. The noise levels would be tremendous for Canvey, though nothing new in an urban area, as they are already endured at Heathrow. Southend could revert back, to a small domestic field, as whats needed here is a match for the big ones....
i agree, however look at the bigger picture it is never going to happen !!
Really ? why have Kent council extended the gas and electricity to the the shore of a desolate beach then? why did the dredging of the Thames for the London Gateway, circumnavigate around this proposed airport, and why have the Navy been around the the SS Montgomery for the last month ??
According to a Gov.t white paper, the SS Montgomery could have flotation bags placed under it, and the whole thing towed towards the middle of the North sea.
Hope the USA get the bill, it's their bombs. They were very quick to go after Shell for an oil slick, not so quick to clean up their own mess.
Obviously these are historic artefact from the SS Montgomery and should not be simply cast aside in a simple bid to save money.

These ruins may hold many clues to the past and all the explosives are believed to dormant.

I have never used the airport at Southend, its the drive is slow policy that kills the journey. However I do see the benefit of a Crossing at Canvey to Kent allowing easy access to local business and the channel tunnel and dover.
[quote][p][bold]Nebs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]You'dfeelbetterforkn owingthat[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shaun Butler[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: Unfortunate as it sounds, Boris Island would offer much much more than Southend, could ever hope to achieve. It would cater for long haul, worldwide flights, taking the load from Heathrow, Stansted and Gatwick, it would be close to the London Gateway port, and Tilbury. The noise levels would be tremendous for Canvey, though nothing new in an urban area, as they are already endured at Heathrow. Southend could revert back, to a small domestic field, as whats needed here is a match for the big ones....[/p][/quote]i agree, however look at the bigger picture it is never going to happen !![/p][/quote]Really ? why have Kent council extended the gas and electricity to the the shore of a desolate beach then? why did the dredging of the Thames for the London Gateway, circumnavigate around this proposed airport, and why have the Navy been around the the SS Montgomery for the last month ??[/p][/quote]According to a Gov.t white paper, the SS Montgomery could have flotation bags placed under it, and the whole thing towed towards the middle of the North sea.[/p][/quote]Hope the USA get the bill, it's their bombs. They were very quick to go after Shell for an oil slick, not so quick to clean up their own mess.[/p][/quote]Obviously these are historic artefact from the SS Montgomery and should not be simply cast aside in a simple bid to save money. These ruins may hold many clues to the past and all the explosives are believed to dormant. I have never used the airport at Southend, its the drive is slow policy that kills the journey. However I do see the benefit of a Crossing at Canvey to Kent allowing easy access to local business and the channel tunnel and dover. LadyOr
  • Score: 1

10:48am Fri 17 Jan 14

r j mccann cook says...

I would not like a airport on the thames if it means closing southend airport this airport has been a success since opening also I don't think it would be safe in the estuary
I would not like a airport on the thames if it means closing southend airport this airport has been a success since opening also I don't think it would be safe in the estuary r j mccann cook
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree