Firefighters called to Hadleigh kitchen fire

Echo: Firefighters called to Hadleigh kitchen fire Firefighters called to Hadleigh kitchen fire

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a small kitchen blaze in Hadleigh this morning after some linen next to a tumble dryer caught alight.

Two crews from Rayleigh were received a call at 2.25am and were dispatched to a property in Church Road, which they found to be heavily smoke-logged.

Fire crews wearing breathing apparatus used one hose reel and a dry powder extinguisher to tackle the fire, and cleared the building of smoke using a high pressure fan.

The linen had been removed from the tumble dryer and left in a basket next to it for some time before it had caught fire.

The blaze, which was accidental, is thought to be caused by a fault with the appliance, possibly overheating.

The incident was dealt with by 2.53am with no reported casualties.

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:29am Wed 12 Feb 14

InTheKnowOk says...

There seems to be a lot of fires caused by tumble driers!!
There seems to be a lot of fires caused by tumble driers!! InTheKnowOk

7:41pm Wed 12 Feb 14

Lilian W says...

These towels were not in the tumble dryer. They had been taken out of the dryer 4 hours earlier and put into a laundry basket . The tumble dryer was not even switched on. Quite surprised that dry towels could combust!!
These towels were not in the tumble dryer. They had been taken out of the dryer 4 hours earlier and put into a laundry basket . The tumble dryer was not even switched on. Quite surprised that dry towels could combust!! Lilian W

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree