Rowing club waits for Leigh clubhouse cash

Hoping for a new boat house – Laura Dunmow, Dave Allen, Jackie Jackson-Smith, Norman Beswarick, Ron Sverdloff and Chris Green

Hoping for a new boat house – Laura Dunmow, Dave Allen, Jackie Jackson-Smith, Norman Beswarick, Ron Sverdloff and Chris Green

First published in News by

A ROWING club is hoping to secure £350,000 to fund a new clubhouse in Leigh.

The Lower Thames Rowing Club is hopeful Sport England will give £150,000 towards a new clubhouse on Two Tree Island, Leigh, by the end of this month.

Southend Council has already agreed to donate £200,000 towards the new facility, which would replace the club’s temporary base at the Dauntless Boatyard in Benfleet Creek, if Sport England sign off the grant.

Founding member Ron Sverdloff said: “The application was submitted about three months ago and it’s a case of ‘no news is good news.’ “It’s looking optimistic. We would normally hear if they weren’t going to proceed. I’m hoping it’s going to be positive not just for our rowing club, but for the whole community.”

The clubhouse would have room to store the club’s boats, toilet and changing facilities, a fitness suite and function rooms.

Labour councillors criticised the Tory administration last year when it agreed to pay for new facilities for a club with just 80 members at the same time as withdrawing from libraries, children’s centres and care homes. Borrowing the cash will cost the council £16,000 a year in interest and repayments.

But the authority, which would also site a new foreshore office at the building, may be able to recoup some of the money by leasing the building to the club.

The grant would be a one-off payment – unlike the cost of operating children’s centres, libraries, the airshow and other council services.

Derek Jarvis, Southend councillor responsible for culture, said: “The long-standing aspiration of the rowing club to create a sustainable community rowing facility in Southend and to establish a base at Two Tree Island moved a step nearer with the submission of our bid for match funding from Sport England’s inspired fund.

“I have been working with the club and British Rowing for several years to achieve this ambition and I look forward to a successful outcome to our bid which will enable the planning application to be progressed.”

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:10pm Tue 4 Mar 14

pembury53 says...

"big" ron's (2nd right) got it nailed.....
"big" ron's (2nd right) got it nailed..... pembury53
  • Score: 2

8:42pm Tue 4 Mar 14

DogsMessInLeigh says...

Unfortunate name on the boat.
Unfortunate name on the boat. DogsMessInLeigh
  • Score: 2

10:25pm Tue 4 Mar 14

Altravista says...

Middle class codgers to get thousands of pounds to subsidise their minority hobby while thousands of others are deprived of services? Disgusting.
Middle class codgers to get thousands of pounds to subsidise their minority hobby while thousands of others are deprived of services? Disgusting. Altravista
  • Score: 5

11:56pm Tue 4 Mar 14

Southchurch75 says...

So, we're happy to reject the construction of a hospice on Belton Way, nicely landscaped and obscured from its surroundings providing much needed palliative care for terminally ill people, yet happy to build a club house on two tree island which is a nature reserve. I'm so pleased we appear to have our priorities well and truly sorted!
So, we're happy to reject the construction of a hospice on Belton Way, nicely landscaped and obscured from its surroundings providing much needed palliative care for terminally ill people, yet happy to build a club house on two tree island which is a nature reserve. I'm so pleased we appear to have our priorities well and truly sorted! Southchurch75
  • Score: 2

6:51am Wed 5 Mar 14

carnmountyouknowitmakessense says...

Altravista wrote:
Middle class codgers to get thousands of pounds to subsidise their minority hobby while thousands of others are deprived of services? Disgusting.
Go back to the workhouse peasant, this iconic and time tested building will serve generations, of open boat rowers,class before mass....
[quote][p][bold]Altravista[/bold] wrote: Middle class codgers to get thousands of pounds to subsidise their minority hobby while thousands of others are deprived of services? Disgusting.[/p][/quote]Go back to the workhouse peasant, this iconic and time tested building will serve generations, of open boat rowers,class before mass.... carnmountyouknowitmakessense
  • Score: -1

8:03am Wed 5 Mar 14

pembury53 says...

Southchurch75 wrote:
So, we're happy to reject the construction of a hospice on Belton Way, nicely landscaped and obscured from its surroundings providing much needed palliative care for terminally ill people, yet happy to build a club house on two tree island which is a nature reserve. I'm so pleased we appear to have our priorities well and truly sorted!
parts of two island are a reserve, not all, and there is already a slip way and substantial car park area in support of marine activity, so many would argue, the ideal location for a rowing club...... havens can and will be located elsewhere...
[quote][p][bold]Southchurch75[/bold] wrote: So, we're happy to reject the construction of a hospice on Belton Way, nicely landscaped and obscured from its surroundings providing much needed palliative care for terminally ill people, yet happy to build a club house on two tree island which is a nature reserve. I'm so pleased we appear to have our priorities well and truly sorted![/p][/quote]parts of two island are a reserve, not all, and there is already a slip way and substantial car park area in support of marine activity, so many would argue, the ideal location for a rowing club...... havens can and will be located elsewhere... pembury53
  • Score: 0

9:16am Wed 5 Mar 14

DogsMessInLeigh says...

pembury53 wrote:
Southchurch75 wrote:
So, we're happy to reject the construction of a hospice on Belton Way, nicely landscaped and obscured from its surroundings providing much needed palliative care for terminally ill people, yet happy to build a club house on two tree island which is a nature reserve. I'm so pleased we appear to have our priorities well and truly sorted!
parts of two island are a reserve, not all, and there is already a slip way and substantial car park area in support of marine activity, so many would argue, the ideal location for a rowing club...... havens can and will be located elsewhere...
If its going to happen a Good idea to have a coffee shop and serve snacks..bring people in and also earn....once its popular the council can bring in charges for the carpark.
[quote][p][bold]pembury53[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Southchurch75[/bold] wrote: So, we're happy to reject the construction of a hospice on Belton Way, nicely landscaped and obscured from its surroundings providing much needed palliative care for terminally ill people, yet happy to build a club house on two tree island which is a nature reserve. I'm so pleased we appear to have our priorities well and truly sorted![/p][/quote]parts of two island are a reserve, not all, and there is already a slip way and substantial car park area in support of marine activity, so many would argue, the ideal location for a rowing club...... havens can and will be located elsewhere...[/p][/quote]If its going to happen a Good idea to have a coffee shop and serve snacks..bring people in and also earn....once its popular the council can bring in charges for the carpark. DogsMessInLeigh
  • Score: 1

12:55pm Wed 5 Mar 14

pembury53 says...

DogsMessInLeigh wrote:
pembury53 wrote:
Southchurch75 wrote: So, we're happy to reject the construction of a hospice on Belton Way, nicely landscaped and obscured from its surroundings providing much needed palliative care for terminally ill people, yet happy to build a club house on two tree island which is a nature reserve. I'm so pleased we appear to have our priorities well and truly sorted!
parts of two island are a reserve, not all, and there is already a slip way and substantial car park area in support of marine activity, so many would argue, the ideal location for a rowing club...... havens can and will be located elsewhere...
If its going to happen a Good idea to have a coffee shop and serve snacks..bring people in and also earn....once its popular the council can bring in charges for the carpark.
Hungry Horse ?
[quote][p][bold]DogsMessInLeigh[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pembury53[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Southchurch75[/bold] wrote: So, we're happy to reject the construction of a hospice on Belton Way, nicely landscaped and obscured from its surroundings providing much needed palliative care for terminally ill people, yet happy to build a club house on two tree island which is a nature reserve. I'm so pleased we appear to have our priorities well and truly sorted![/p][/quote]parts of two island are a reserve, not all, and there is already a slip way and substantial car park area in support of marine activity, so many would argue, the ideal location for a rowing club...... havens can and will be located elsewhere...[/p][/quote]If its going to happen a Good idea to have a coffee shop and serve snacks..bring people in and also earn....once its popular the council can bring in charges for the carpark.[/p][/quote]Hungry Horse ? pembury53
  • Score: 0

3:48pm Wed 5 Mar 14

DogsMessInLeigh says...

pembury53 wrote:
DogsMessInLeigh wrote:
pembury53 wrote:
Southchurch75 wrote: So, we're happy to reject the construction of a hospice on Belton Way, nicely landscaped and obscured from its surroundings providing much needed palliative care for terminally ill people, yet happy to build a club house on two tree island which is a nature reserve. I'm so pleased we appear to have our priorities well and truly sorted!
parts of two island are a reserve, not all, and there is already a slip way and substantial car park area in support of marine activity, so many would argue, the ideal location for a rowing club...... havens can and will be located elsewhere...
If its going to happen a Good idea to have a coffee shop and serve snacks..bring people in and also earn....once its popular the council can bring in charges for the carpark.
Hungry Horse ?
Nayyyyyy...just a cafe to let non rowers make use of.
[quote][p][bold]pembury53[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DogsMessInLeigh[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pembury53[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Southchurch75[/bold] wrote: So, we're happy to reject the construction of a hospice on Belton Way, nicely landscaped and obscured from its surroundings providing much needed palliative care for terminally ill people, yet happy to build a club house on two tree island which is a nature reserve. I'm so pleased we appear to have our priorities well and truly sorted![/p][/quote]parts of two island are a reserve, not all, and there is already a slip way and substantial car park area in support of marine activity, so many would argue, the ideal location for a rowing club...... havens can and will be located elsewhere...[/p][/quote]If its going to happen a Good idea to have a coffee shop and serve snacks..bring people in and also earn....once its popular the council can bring in charges for the carpark.[/p][/quote]Hungry Horse ?[/p][/quote]Nayyyyyy...just a cafe to let non rowers make use of. DogsMessInLeigh
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree