Sick patient accused of stealing Southend A&E electricity

Echo: Sick patient accused of stealing Southend A&E electricity Sick patient accused of stealing Southend A&E electricity

A PATIENT suffering from severe sickness was threatened with police action by Southend Hospital security staff, for charging her phone in A&E.

Tracey Murfitt, 47, from Leigh, suffers from gastro neuropathy, which causes severe sickness, and was taken to hospital by ambulance on Thursday, April 10, at about 2pm.

She had to wait in the ambulance outside the hospital for half an hour before she was checked in and put in a wheelchair in the busy waiting room.

Ms Murfitt plugged her phone in to charge so she could call a friend to tell her she was at the hospital.

She said: “All of a sudden I was approached by security staff telling me they were going to call the police for stealing hospital electricity.

“I couldn’t believe it.

"It was absolutely diabolical. They said I could use a hospital phone, but I had to charge mine to get the number.

“I was in so much pain, I just wanted to lie down and relax.

“After a few hours without treatment, I got so fed up, I managed to call my daughter’s mother-in-law who came and collected me.”

The sickness did not abate though and Ms Murfitt returned to A&E two days later and was admitted to the renal ward.

Ms Murfitt underwent a double kidney transplant six years ago and is a regular patient on the ward.

A hospital statement said: “We are sorry Ms Murfitt is unhappy with the service she received and we invite her to contact us directly to talk about her concerns.”

Comments (47)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:13pm Thu 24 Apr 14

the citizen says...

If this is a true recounting of events then perhaps the hospital were a bit heavy handed, and a simple "We're sorry but you cannot charge your phone here." would have sufficed? Plus, she should have asked first? So it's an error of her presumption and their response. Seemplz....
If this is a true recounting of events then perhaps the hospital were a bit heavy handed, and a simple "We're sorry but you cannot charge your phone here." would have sufficed? Plus, she should have asked first? So it's an error of her presumption and their response. Seemplz.... the citizen
  • Score: 40

5:30pm Thu 24 Apr 14

QuestionTime says...

When will Southend A&E ever learn, they seem hell bent on alienating all those that enter their building. It was an emergency, the lady was in distress and who these days can remember someone else's number to then use a pay phone (at exorbitant NHS charges), very poor and unhelpful attitude from the hospital!!
When will Southend A&E ever learn, they seem hell bent on alienating all those that enter their building. It was an emergency, the lady was in distress and who these days can remember someone else's number to then use a pay phone (at exorbitant NHS charges), very poor and unhelpful attitude from the hospital!! QuestionTime
  • Score: 38

5:31pm Thu 24 Apr 14

jolllyboy says...

Ridiculous. Just shows how low we have sunk.
Ridiculous. Just shows how low we have sunk. jolllyboy
  • Score: 37

5:44pm Thu 24 Apr 14

Howard Cháse says...

How much rent do they charge when you have to stay in one of their wards?
How much rent do they charge when you have to stay in one of their wards? Howard Cháse
  • Score: 31

5:52pm Thu 24 Apr 14

runwellian says...

When i am admitted I charge my phone and / or my i pad, what do they expect us to do? They charge the earth for the use of their phones, there are no TV's, nothing to pass the time of day, no secure place to keep anything at your bedside, I guess depression comes free of charge!
When i am admitted I charge my phone and / or my i pad, what do they expect us to do? They charge the earth for the use of their phones, there are no TV's, nothing to pass the time of day, no secure place to keep anything at your bedside, I guess depression comes free of charge! runwellian
  • Score: 39

5:59pm Thu 24 Apr 14

GONNERS says...

this is typical hospital security, some of the security staff have brains others think they are the gods, there are there own hospital security and there is also a agency security would love to know what one said this??? maybe they should be kicked out of there job if they can't see patients illness, and need to make calls to let people know where they are, correct me if im wrong but dont we pay in our council tax for the NHS
this is typical hospital security, some of the security staff have brains others think they are the gods, there are there own hospital security and there is also a agency security would love to know what one said this??? maybe they should be kicked out of there job if they can't see patients illness, and need to make calls to let people know where they are, correct me if im wrong but dont we pay in our council tax for the NHS GONNERS
  • Score: 25

6:03pm Thu 24 Apr 14

stopmoaning1 says...

Not condoning the Security Guards approach (if in fact this is a true account of what happened) but what made her think she had a right to simply plug in her own device without first even asking
Not condoning the Security Guards approach (if in fact this is a true account of what happened) but what made her think she had a right to simply plug in her own device without first even asking stopmoaning1
  • Score: 14

6:37pm Thu 24 Apr 14

Speedysnail says...

Must have cost the hospital less than 5 pence in electric. about time they worried about the overseas people who use the NHS for free, then bugger off home. Southend hospital you should be ashamed
Must have cost the hospital less than 5 pence in electric. about time they worried about the overseas people who use the NHS for free, then bugger off home. Southend hospital you should be ashamed Speedysnail
  • Score: 57

6:56pm Thu 24 Apr 14

GONNERS says...

Speedysnail wrote:
Must have cost the hospital less than 5 pence in electric. about time they worried about the overseas people who use the NHS for free, then bugger off home. Southend hospital you should be ashamed
can't really blame southend hospital on this one look at what the security guard done i work in security myself, having worked as a security guard myself there I know how some of the security guards are thinking they are gods,
[quote][p][bold]Speedysnail[/bold] wrote: Must have cost the hospital less than 5 pence in electric. about time they worried about the overseas people who use the NHS for free, then bugger off home. Southend hospital you should be ashamed[/p][/quote]can't really blame southend hospital on this one look at what the security guard done i work in security myself, having worked as a security guard myself there I know how some of the security guards are thinking they are gods, GONNERS
  • Score: 15

7:12pm Thu 24 Apr 14

Living the La Vida Legra says...

runwellian wrote:
When i am admitted I charge my phone and / or my i pad, what do they expect us to do? They charge the earth for the use of their phones, there are no TV's, nothing to pass the time of day, no secure place to keep anything at your bedside, I guess depression comes free of charge!
Next time book into a hotel if you want creature comforts
It's a hospital! Jez!!!
[quote][p][bold]runwellian[/bold] wrote: When i am admitted I charge my phone and / or my i pad, what do they expect us to do? They charge the earth for the use of their phones, there are no TV's, nothing to pass the time of day, no secure place to keep anything at your bedside, I guess depression comes free of charge![/p][/quote]Next time book into a hotel if you want creature comforts It's a hospital! Jez!!! Living the La Vida Legra
  • Score: -9

7:58pm Thu 24 Apr 14

whateverhappened says...

Living the La Vida Legra wrote:
runwellian wrote: When i am admitted I charge my phone and / or my i pad, what do they expect us to do? They charge the earth for the use of their phones, there are no TV's, nothing to pass the time of day, no secure place to keep anything at your bedside, I guess depression comes free of charge!
Next time book into a hotel if you want creature comforts It's a hospital! Jez!!!
Paid for by the public.. do staff charge phones..do security listen to radios during the day?
[quote][p][bold]Living the La Vida Legra[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]runwellian[/bold] wrote: When i am admitted I charge my phone and / or my i pad, what do they expect us to do? They charge the earth for the use of their phones, there are no TV's, nothing to pass the time of day, no secure place to keep anything at your bedside, I guess depression comes free of charge![/p][/quote]Next time book into a hotel if you want creature comforts It's a hospital! Jez!!![/p][/quote]Paid for by the public.. do staff charge phones..do security listen to radios during the day? whateverhappened
  • Score: 36

9:27pm Thu 24 Apr 14

LinfordsLunchbox says...

Work out how much electricity she used, then compare it with the cost of health tourism
Work out how much electricity she used, then compare it with the cost of health tourism LinfordsLunchbox
  • Score: 21

10:01pm Thu 24 Apr 14

Father Jack Hackett says...

LinfordsLunchbox wrote:
Work out how much electricity she used, then compare it with the cost of health tourism
I wouldn't be surprised if the waste, and not just of electricity, far outweighs the cost of health tourism.

I'm sure if the lady in question had politely asked someone if she could charge her phone for a few minutes so as she could make a call then all would have been well.
[quote][p][bold]LinfordsLunchbox[/bold] wrote: Work out how much electricity she used, then compare it with the cost of health tourism[/p][/quote]I wouldn't be surprised if the waste, and not just of electricity, far outweighs the cost of health tourism. I'm sure if the lady in question had politely asked someone if she could charge her phone for a few minutes so as she could make a call then all would have been well. Father Jack Hackett
  • Score: 9

10:31pm Thu 24 Apr 14

DogsMessInLeigh says...

Sorry but what sort of emergency was this to call an ambulance to go a few minutes up the road...i mean do you get left in an Ambulance at A+E for 30 minutes before you get checked in, in an 'Emergency'...? and are you left in the waiting room after check in and then get up and go home if you are not seen to after 2 hours when its an 'Emergency'..? the last thing i would be thinking is grabbing a phone and the charger in an 'Emergency'..then leave it 2 days before going back , something don't sound right here don't think we have the full story or its exaggerated.for effect.
Sorry but what sort of emergency was this to call an ambulance to go a few minutes up the road...i mean do you get left in an Ambulance at A+E for 30 minutes before you get checked in, in an 'Emergency'...? and are you left in the waiting room after check in and then get up and go home if you are not seen to after 2 hours when its an 'Emergency'..? the last thing i would be thinking is grabbing a phone and the charger in an 'Emergency'..then leave it 2 days before going back , something don't sound right here don't think we have the full story or its exaggerated.for effect. DogsMessInLeigh
  • Score: 29

10:34pm Thu 24 Apr 14

Norfolk and Chance says...

I stole some air from there once, I had to breath man c'mon.
I stole some air from there once, I had to breath man c'mon. Norfolk and Chance
  • Score: 26

7:31am Fri 25 Apr 14

abd123 says...

To charge a phone only uses a few watts of electricitty. For an hour it would cost a very small fraction of a penny because electricity only costs a few pence per kilowatt hour. Is anybody worried about such a small amount of money?
To charge a phone only uses a few watts of electricitty. For an hour it would cost a very small fraction of a penny because electricity only costs a few pence per kilowatt hour. Is anybody worried about such a small amount of money? abd123
  • Score: 14

8:19am Fri 25 Apr 14

pembury53 says...

should have just told the p***k of a security guard to f***k off..... do you really think the old bill would have pressed charges, supported by the CPS, with a serious chance of conviction for theft ? If that ever happened then we really are in a proper mess......
should have just told the p***k of a security guard to f***k off..... do you really think the old bill would have pressed charges, supported by the CPS, with a serious chance of conviction for theft ? If that ever happened then we really are in a proper mess...... pembury53
  • Score: 10

9:26am Fri 25 Apr 14

DogsMessInLeigh says...

why don't they place covers over the plug sockets or have a master switch for sockets in waiting areas to stop unruly kids from sticking their tongues in them, also it would take seconds to power a phone up to get the number she needed, but then i suspect this ain't a real problem and we don't have the full story here...think about it.
why don't they place covers over the plug sockets or have a master switch for sockets in waiting areas to stop unruly kids from sticking their tongues in them, also it would take seconds to power a phone up to get the number she needed, but then i suspect this ain't a real problem and we don't have the full story here...think about it. DogsMessInLeigh
  • Score: 6

9:51am Fri 25 Apr 14

arram says...

Of course a patient should be able to charge their cell phone..if necessary they should be charged one pound a week for the use of the electricity used...when you consider the office staff using the phones to make private calls...the use of office pens and other equipment...we all know this goes on in any office....how mean the hospital was.....if this is so then donations to the hospital should be cut to show one's disgust....( I am not related to the person mentioned)....
Of course a patient should be able to charge their cell phone..if necessary they should be charged one pound a week for the use of the electricity used...when you consider the office staff using the phones to make private calls...the use of office pens and other equipment...we all know this goes on in any office....how mean the hospital was.....if this is so then donations to the hospital should be cut to show one's disgust....( I am not related to the person mentioned).... arram
  • Score: 10

1:06pm Fri 25 Apr 14

carnmountyouknowitmakessense says...

Theft is theft regardless of the value, she should have been arrested, and charged...
Theft is theft regardless of the value, she should have been arrested, and charged... carnmountyouknowitmakessense
  • Score: -15

2:21pm Fri 25 Apr 14

hornsxandxhalos says...

runwellian wrote:
When i am admitted I charge my phone and / or my i pad, what do they expect us to do? They charge the earth for the use of their phones, there are no TV's, nothing to pass the time of day, no secure place to keep anything at your bedside, I guess depression comes free of charge!
I heard they do have TV's now, but you have to pay daily or what ever to use them. I remember going back 12 years ago when I had my Son and I was stuck in there almost 2 weeks, there was absolutely nothing to do.
There was one TV in the ward I was on, but was **** because everyone had to watch the same thing and most people didn't want it on anyway.
I guess if you can charge your mobiles or what ever, it's a little better and you have more to do then, back then mobiles were just basic and didn't do a lot.
[quote][p][bold]runwellian[/bold] wrote: When i am admitted I charge my phone and / or my i pad, what do they expect us to do? They charge the earth for the use of their phones, there are no TV's, nothing to pass the time of day, no secure place to keep anything at your bedside, I guess depression comes free of charge![/p][/quote]I heard they do have TV's now, but you have to pay daily or what ever to use them. I remember going back 12 years ago when I had my Son and I was stuck in there almost 2 weeks, there was absolutely nothing to do. There was one TV in the ward I was on, but was **** because everyone had to watch the same thing and most people didn't want it on anyway. I guess if you can charge your mobiles or what ever, it's a little better and you have more to do then, back then mobiles were just basic and didn't do a lot. hornsxandxhalos
  • Score: 5

2:22pm Fri 25 Apr 14

Abington86 says...

This is one of those stories where we are obviously not being told everything.
No one packs their phone charger into their bag whilst waiting for an ambulance and being in severe pain.

No one would be so ill mannered as to plug their charger into a random socket in a shop/hospital/church
. Why did Tracey (47) think she could do so?

What next - would she have taken a pair of sheets as she needed them at home?

And I doubt very much if any security guard would have said what is claimed here.

and how did the Echo get hold of this very very non-story?
This is one of those stories where we are obviously not being told everything. No one packs their phone charger into their bag whilst waiting for an ambulance and being in severe pain. No one would be so ill mannered as to plug their charger into a random socket in a shop/hospital/church . Why did Tracey (47) think she could do so? What next - would she have taken a pair of sheets as she needed them at home? And I doubt very much if any security guard would have said what is claimed here. and how did the Echo get hold of this very very non-story? Abington86
  • Score: 14

4:26pm Fri 25 Apr 14

runwellian says...

Speedysnail wrote:
Must have cost the hospital less than 5 pence in electric. about time they worried about the overseas people who use the NHS for free, then bugger off home. Southend hospital you should be ashamed
They recoup the price in their shop, a bag of sweets, same make / brand cost half the price outside of the hospital. I can buy ten biros for £1, they charge £1 each for the same.

Whilst we all want to support the NHS, the shop is a rip off, as is the depressing coffee lounge now installed in OPD, ti is dark and depressing and so over priced.
[quote][p][bold]Speedysnail[/bold] wrote: Must have cost the hospital less than 5 pence in electric. about time they worried about the overseas people who use the NHS for free, then bugger off home. Southend hospital you should be ashamed[/p][/quote]They recoup the price in their shop, a bag of sweets, same make / brand cost half the price outside of the hospital. I can buy ten biros for £1, they charge £1 each for the same. Whilst we all want to support the NHS, the shop is a rip off, as is the depressing coffee lounge now installed in OPD, ti is dark and depressing and so over priced. runwellian
  • Score: 0

5:15pm Fri 25 Apr 14

Walt Jabsco says...

Never mind the charging phone, how about charging her for inappropriate use of an Ambulance for someone who can get up and walk out after 2 hours?....The cost to the taxpayer of using that Ambulance is huge and also what about someone in a real emergency needing one thats otherwise tied up dropping her off into the waiting room.
Never mind the charging phone, how about charging her for inappropriate use of an Ambulance for someone who can get up and walk out after 2 hours?....The cost to the taxpayer of using that Ambulance is huge and also what about someone in a real emergency needing one thats otherwise tied up dropping her off into the waiting room. Walt Jabsco
  • Score: 15

5:47pm Fri 25 Apr 14

Abington86 says...

Walt Jabsco wrote:
Never mind the charging phone, how about charging her for inappropriate use of an Ambulance for someone who can get up and walk out after 2 hours?....The cost to the taxpayer of using that Ambulance is huge and also what about someone in a real emergency needing one thats otherwise tied up dropping her off into the waiting room.
She wanted to relax and lie down. The poor love.

The only thing that is 'absolutely diabolical' about this non event is her massive sense of entitlement. Calling an ambulance, moaning about waiting half an hour to be seen and then leaving after waiting 'several' hours cos she was fed up. Bless. Perhaps she didnt want to miss Jeremy Kyle?
[quote][p][bold]Walt Jabsco[/bold] wrote: Never mind the charging phone, how about charging her for inappropriate use of an Ambulance for someone who can get up and walk out after 2 hours?....The cost to the taxpayer of using that Ambulance is huge and also what about someone in a real emergency needing one thats otherwise tied up dropping her off into the waiting room.[/p][/quote]She wanted to relax and lie down. The poor love. The only thing that is 'absolutely diabolical' about this non event is her massive sense of entitlement. Calling an ambulance, moaning about waiting half an hour to be seen and then leaving after waiting 'several' hours cos she was fed up. Bless. Perhaps she didnt want to miss Jeremy Kyle? Abington86
  • Score: 21

6:01pm Fri 25 Apr 14

paulatepc says...

abd123 wrote:
To charge a phone only uses a few watts of electricitty. For an hour it would cost a very small fraction of a penny because electricity only costs a few pence per kilowatt hour. Is anybody worried about such a small amount of money?
at 20p per Kw hour I make it about one tenth of a penny to charge a phone for 1 hour. To get it charged enough to use probably cost a quarter of that or less.
[quote][p][bold]abd123[/bold] wrote: To charge a phone only uses a few watts of electricitty. For an hour it would cost a very small fraction of a penny because electricity only costs a few pence per kilowatt hour. Is anybody worried about such a small amount of money?[/p][/quote]at 20p per Kw hour I make it about one tenth of a penny to charge a phone for 1 hour. To get it charged enough to use probably cost a quarter of that or less. paulatepc
  • Score: 7

6:03pm Fri 25 Apr 14

paulatepc says...

abd123 wrote:
To charge a phone only uses a few watts of electricitty. For an hour it would cost a very small fraction of a penny because electricity only costs a few pence per kilowatt hour. Is anybody worried about such a small amount of money?
agree - about a tenth of a penny per hour.
[quote][p][bold]abd123[/bold] wrote: To charge a phone only uses a few watts of electricitty. For an hour it would cost a very small fraction of a penny because electricity only costs a few pence per kilowatt hour. Is anybody worried about such a small amount of money?[/p][/quote]agree - about a tenth of a penny per hour. paulatepc
  • Score: 4

7:24pm Fri 25 Apr 14

Abington86 says...

GONNERS wrote:
this is typical hospital security, some of the security staff have brains others think they are the gods, there are there own hospital security and there is also a agency security would love to know what one said this??? maybe they should be kicked out of there job if they can't see patients illness, and need to make calls to let people know where they are, correct me if im wrong but dont we pay in our council tax for the NHS
You are wrong. The NHS is funded from central government. Council tax is the charge that we pay to the local authority.
[quote][p][bold]GONNERS[/bold] wrote: this is typical hospital security, some of the security staff have brains others think they are the gods, there are there own hospital security and there is also a agency security would love to know what one said this??? maybe they should be kicked out of there job if they can't see patients illness, and need to make calls to let people know where they are, correct me if im wrong but dont we pay in our council tax for the NHS[/p][/quote]You are wrong. The NHS is funded from central government. Council tax is the charge that we pay to the local authority. Abington86
  • Score: 2

9:12pm Fri 25 Apr 14

DogsMessInLeigh says...

Abington86 wrote:
This is one of those stories where we are obviously not being told everything.
No one packs their phone charger into their bag whilst waiting for an ambulance and being in severe pain.

No one would be so ill mannered as to plug their charger into a random socket in a shop/hospital/church

. Why did Tracey (47) think she could do so?

What next - would she have taken a pair of sheets as she needed them at home?

And I doubt very much if any security guard would have said what is claimed here.

and how did the Echo get hold of this very very non-story?
its hit the Daily Mail complete with a photo of the Grandmother with her phone charger...
http://www.dailymail
.co.uk/news/article-
2613190/Hospital-sec
urity-guards-threate
ned-patient-arrested
-THEFT--plugged-phon
e-charge.html
[quote][p][bold]Abington86[/bold] wrote: This is one of those stories where we are obviously not being told everything. No one packs their phone charger into their bag whilst waiting for an ambulance and being in severe pain. No one would be so ill mannered as to plug their charger into a random socket in a shop/hospital/church . Why did Tracey (47) think she could do so? What next - would she have taken a pair of sheets as she needed them at home? And I doubt very much if any security guard would have said what is claimed here. and how did the Echo get hold of this very very non-story?[/p][/quote]its hit the Daily Mail complete with a photo of the Grandmother with her phone charger... http://www.dailymail .co.uk/news/article- 2613190/Hospital-sec urity-guards-threate ned-patient-arrested -THEFT--plugged-phon e-charge.html DogsMessInLeigh
  • Score: 7

8:11am Sat 26 Apr 14

Speedysnail says...

runwellian wrote:
Speedysnail wrote:
Must have cost the hospital less than 5 pence in electric. about time they worried about the overseas people who use the NHS for free, then bugger off home. Southend hospital you should be ashamed
They recoup the price in their shop, a bag of sweets, same make / brand cost half the price outside of the hospital. I can buy ten biros for £1, they charge £1 each for the same.

Whilst we all want to support the NHS, the shop is a rip off, as is the depressing coffee lounge now installed in OPD, ti is dark and depressing and so over priced.
Runwellian, Go back to sleep mate. I got 12 biros for a quid.......Bargain eh?
What has the price of biros got to do with my comment...Yawn......
[quote][p][bold]runwellian[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Speedysnail[/bold] wrote: Must have cost the hospital less than 5 pence in electric. about time they worried about the overseas people who use the NHS for free, then bugger off home. Southend hospital you should be ashamed[/p][/quote]They recoup the price in their shop, a bag of sweets, same make / brand cost half the price outside of the hospital. I can buy ten biros for £1, they charge £1 each for the same. Whilst we all want to support the NHS, the shop is a rip off, as is the depressing coffee lounge now installed in OPD, ti is dark and depressing and so over priced.[/p][/quote]Runwellian, Go back to sleep mate. I got 12 biros for a quid.......Bargain eh? What has the price of biros got to do with my comment...Yawn...... Speedysnail
  • Score: -1

10:21am Sat 26 Apr 14

InTheKnowOk says...

Next they will be charging you for the use of toilet rolls, water and soap ..
Next they will be charging you for the use of toilet rolls, water and soap .. InTheKnowOk
  • Score: 7

12:57pm Sat 26 Apr 14

Abington86 says...

Right lets get back to the article.

It now transpires that Tracey (47) DID ask to plug her charger in but was told she couldnt. so she 'did it anyway.' Why?
As I said earlier this woman has a massive sense of entitlement. She doesnt work and therefore does not pay into the system, in fact the system pays her benefits. She got fed up of waiting and left the hospital before being treated returning a couple of days later. There were probably patients there who were far more ill than she was and did they leave ? Unlikely.
Why can someone on benefits have such a grand mobile phone? Far more up to date than mine - and I work for a living.

I am sick to death of reading about those that don't contribute anything into the system milking it for every penny. This woman should be charged with wasting NHS time. Who on earth does she think she is.
Right lets get back to the article. It now transpires that Tracey (47) DID ask to plug her charger in but was told she couldnt. so she 'did it anyway.' Why? As I said earlier this woman has a massive sense of entitlement. She doesnt work and therefore does not pay into the system, in fact the system pays her benefits. She got fed up of waiting and left the hospital before being treated returning a couple of days later. There were probably patients there who were far more ill than she was and did they leave ? Unlikely. Why can someone on benefits have such a grand mobile phone? Far more up to date than mine - and I work for a living. I am sick to death of reading about those that don't contribute anything into the system milking it for every penny. This woman should be charged with wasting NHS time. Who on earth does she think she is. Abington86
  • Score: 18

6:51pm Sat 26 Apr 14

runwellian says...

I felt appalled at the way this lady was treated until I learned that not once, but three times she had been told about charging her phone and still chose to ignore the advice she was given!

During any stay in Southend hospital I have nerve ever been challenged about charging my phone, even had the staff do that for me.

Maybe on this occasion is was an over zealous security guard but give she had three warnings, it beggars belief that she still chose to ignore them.

I would also query that if you have a serious health problem why walk around with flat phone battery?

The more I learn about this case, the more I feel she brought this situation onto herself!
I felt appalled at the way this lady was treated until I learned that not once, but three times she had been told about charging her phone and still chose to ignore the advice she was given! During any stay in Southend hospital I have nerve ever been challenged about charging my phone, even had the staff do that for me. Maybe on this occasion is was an over zealous security guard but give she had three warnings, it beggars belief that she still chose to ignore them. I would also query that if you have a serious health problem why walk around with flat phone battery? The more I learn about this case, the more I feel she brought this situation onto herself! runwellian
  • Score: 9

6:57pm Sat 26 Apr 14

runwellian says...

DogsMessInLeigh wrote:
Abington86 wrote:
This is one of those stories where we are obviously not being told everything.
No one packs their phone charger into their bag whilst waiting for an ambulance and being in severe pain.

No one would be so ill mannered as to plug their charger into a random socket in a shop/hospital/church


. Why did Tracey (47) think she could do so?

What next - would she have taken a pair of sheets as she needed them at home?

And I doubt very much if any security guard would have said what is claimed here.

and how did the Echo get hold of this very very non-story?
its hit the Daily Mail complete with a photo of the Grandmother with her phone charger...
http://www.dailymail

.co.uk/news/article-

2613190/Hospital-sec

urity-guards-threate

ned-patient-arrested

-THEFT--plugged-phon

e-charge.html
Well said, there is so much more to this story!

I have been admitted to Southend many times in an emergency, where my life hung in the balance, and yes I managed to take my phone and charger with me. When I am not using my phone, it is always on charge anyway!

I doubt very much that anyways said she would charged with stealing hospital electricity, but it is her word against everyone else's!

If he her health is vulnerable she should alway carry a well charged mobile with her, but she couldn't have been that ill if she was able to walk out of hospital because she couldn't be bothered to wait!

Perhaps she expected everyone else to stand aside and let her go first!

She has lost my support!
[quote][p][bold]DogsMessInLeigh[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Abington86[/bold] wrote: This is one of those stories where we are obviously not being told everything. No one packs their phone charger into their bag whilst waiting for an ambulance and being in severe pain. No one would be so ill mannered as to plug their charger into a random socket in a shop/hospital/church . Why did Tracey (47) think she could do so? What next - would she have taken a pair of sheets as she needed them at home? And I doubt very much if any security guard would have said what is claimed here. and how did the Echo get hold of this very very non-story?[/p][/quote]its hit the Daily Mail complete with a photo of the Grandmother with her phone charger... http://www.dailymail .co.uk/news/article- 2613190/Hospital-sec urity-guards-threate ned-patient-arrested -THEFT--plugged-phon e-charge.html[/p][/quote]Well said, there is so much more to this story! I have been admitted to Southend many times in an emergency, where my life hung in the balance, and yes I managed to take my phone and charger with me. When I am not using my phone, it is always on charge anyway! I doubt very much that anyways said she would charged with stealing hospital electricity, but it is her word against everyone else's! If he her health is vulnerable she should alway carry a well charged mobile with her, but she couldn't have been that ill if she was able to walk out of hospital because she couldn't be bothered to wait! Perhaps she expected everyone else to stand aside and let her go first! She has lost my support! runwellian
  • Score: 5

7:56pm Sat 26 Apr 14

Nowthatsworthknowing says...

InTheKnowOk wrote:
Next they will be charging you for the use of toilet rolls, water and soap ..
Thanks, I will suggest it, 50p per sheet for loo paper
[quote][p][bold]InTheKnowOk[/bold] wrote: Next they will be charging you for the use of toilet rolls, water and soap ..[/p][/quote]Thanks, I will suggest it, 50p per sheet for loo paper Nowthatsworthknowing
  • Score: -6

12:21pm Sun 27 Apr 14

Letmetryagain says...

She should have just handed over enough to pay for the electricity she used.
I reckon 2p should more than cover it ?
She should have just handed over enough to pay for the electricity she used. I reckon 2p should more than cover it ? Letmetryagain
  • Score: -3

8:48am Mon 28 Apr 14

elconguero says...

Maybe her charger had not been PAT tested. It's highly likely that the hospital has a policy of all electrical devices having to be tested before it can be used.
Maybe her charger had not been PAT tested. It's highly likely that the hospital has a policy of all electrical devices having to be tested before it can be used. elconguero
  • Score: 8

2:03pm Mon 28 Apr 14

Abington86 says...

runwellian wrote:
DogsMessInLeigh wrote:
Abington86 wrote: This is one of those stories where we are obviously not being told everything. No one packs their phone charger into their bag whilst waiting for an ambulance and being in severe pain. No one would be so ill mannered as to plug their charger into a random socket in a shop/hospital/church . Why did Tracey (47) think she could do so? What next - would she have taken a pair of sheets as she needed them at home? And I doubt very much if any security guard would have said what is claimed here. and how did the Echo get hold of this very very non-story?
its hit the Daily Mail complete with a photo of the Grandmother with her phone charger... http://www.dailymail .co.uk/news/article- 2613190/Hospital-sec urity-guards-threate ned-patient-arrested -THEFT--plugged-phon e-charge.html
Well said, there is so much more to this story! I have been admitted to Southend many times in an emergency, where my life hung in the balance, and yes I managed to take my phone and charger with me. When I am not using my phone, it is always on charge anyway! I doubt very much that anyways said she would charged with stealing hospital electricity, but it is her word against everyone else's! If he her health is vulnerable she should alway carry a well charged mobile with her, but she couldn't have been that ill if she was able to walk out of hospital because she couldn't be bothered to wait! Perhaps she expected everyone else to stand aside and let her go first! She has lost my support!
Her health is vulnerable cos she hasn't worked for 6 years!
[quote][p][bold]runwellian[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DogsMessInLeigh[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Abington86[/bold] wrote: This is one of those stories where we are obviously not being told everything. No one packs their phone charger into their bag whilst waiting for an ambulance and being in severe pain. No one would be so ill mannered as to plug their charger into a random socket in a shop/hospital/church . Why did Tracey (47) think she could do so? What next - would she have taken a pair of sheets as she needed them at home? And I doubt very much if any security guard would have said what is claimed here. and how did the Echo get hold of this very very non-story?[/p][/quote]its hit the Daily Mail complete with a photo of the Grandmother with her phone charger... http://www.dailymail .co.uk/news/article- 2613190/Hospital-sec urity-guards-threate ned-patient-arrested -THEFT--plugged-phon e-charge.html[/p][/quote]Well said, there is so much more to this story! I have been admitted to Southend many times in an emergency, where my life hung in the balance, and yes I managed to take my phone and charger with me. When I am not using my phone, it is always on charge anyway! I doubt very much that anyways said she would charged with stealing hospital electricity, but it is her word against everyone else's! If he her health is vulnerable she should alway carry a well charged mobile with her, but she couldn't have been that ill if she was able to walk out of hospital because she couldn't be bothered to wait! Perhaps she expected everyone else to stand aside and let her go first! She has lost my support![/p][/quote]Her health is vulnerable cos she hasn't worked for 6 years! Abington86
  • Score: 2

3:11pm Mon 28 Apr 14

Mikkel1 says...

Why could the FULL facts on this be sought before going to print, and then getting so many negative comments?

WHO carries contact details in case of an emergency? Not many I bet. I make a point of doing so, and Not just in my mobile phone. Common Sense comes to mind.
Why could the FULL facts on this be sought before going to print, and then getting so many negative comments? WHO carries contact details in case of an emergency? Not many I bet. I make a point of doing so, and Not just in my mobile phone. Common Sense comes to mind. Mikkel1
  • Score: 0

5:47am Tue 29 Apr 14

tokyontroyzee says...

Father Jack Hackett wrote:
LinfordsLunchbox wrote:
Work out how much electricity she used, then compare it with the cost of health tourism
I wouldn't be surprised if the waste, and not just of electricity, far outweighs the cost of health tourism.

I'm sure if the lady in question had politely asked someone if she could charge her phone for a few minutes so as she could make a call then all would have been well.
Dum woman......I would not be suprised if she wanted to post on facebook"sitting on a chair eating crisps"
[quote][p][bold]Father Jack Hackett[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]LinfordsLunchbox[/bold] wrote: Work out how much electricity she used, then compare it with the cost of health tourism[/p][/quote]I wouldn't be surprised if the waste, and not just of electricity, far outweighs the cost of health tourism. I'm sure if the lady in question had politely asked someone if she could charge her phone for a few minutes so as she could make a call then all would have been well.[/p][/quote]Dum woman......I would not be suprised if she wanted to post on facebook"sitting on a chair eating crisps" tokyontroyzee
  • Score: 1

3:14pm Tue 29 Apr 14

essexjack07 says...

What about all the staff that charge their phones on a daily basis throughout the hospital especially those sitting in an office? It would be interesting to see what the cost of this is yearly. All staff that are doing this are also stealing electricity.
What about all the staff that charge their phones on a daily basis throughout the hospital especially those sitting in an office? It would be interesting to see what the cost of this is yearly. All staff that are doing this are also stealing electricity. essexjack07
  • Score: 3

5:32pm Tue 29 Apr 14

Abington86 says...

essexjack07 wrote:
What about all the staff that charge their phones on a daily basis throughout the hospital especially those sitting in an office? It would be interesting to see what the cost of this is yearly. All staff that are doing this are also stealing electricity.
Have you ever thought that they may allowed to charge their phones from their offices? and I dont think it is really about the cost.

Tracey (47) was told on 3 separate occasions not to charge her phone in a hospital waiting room. And she still did it.

Why did Tracey think that she could do as she pleased?

The more we learn about this story the more questions are raised. Far too many.

She must wish that she hadn't contacted the Echo. Absolutely diabolical.
[quote][p][bold]essexjack07[/bold] wrote: What about all the staff that charge their phones on a daily basis throughout the hospital especially those sitting in an office? It would be interesting to see what the cost of this is yearly. All staff that are doing this are also stealing electricity.[/p][/quote]Have you ever thought that they may allowed to charge their phones from their offices? and I dont think it is really about the cost. Tracey (47) was told on 3 separate occasions not to charge her phone in a hospital waiting room. And she still did it. Why did Tracey think that she could do as she pleased? The more we learn about this story the more questions are raised. Far too many. She must wish that she hadn't contacted the Echo. Absolutely diabolical. Abington86
  • Score: 1

5:42pm Tue 29 Apr 14

leighelite says...

Abington86 wrote:
essexjack07 wrote:
What about all the staff that charge their phones on a daily basis throughout the hospital especially those sitting in an office? It would be interesting to see what the cost of this is yearly. All staff that are doing this are also stealing electricity.
Have you ever thought that they may allowed to charge their phones from their offices? and I dont think it is really about the cost.

Tracey (47) was told on 3 separate occasions not to charge her phone in a hospital waiting room. And she still did it.

Why did Tracey think that she could do as she pleased?

The more we learn about this story the more questions are raised. Far too many.

She must wish that she hadn't contacted the Echo. Absolutely diabolical.
A friend of mine was in A&E at the time the security guard was very polite even when this woman was rude to him he even offered her the use of his own mobile I'd of thrown her out
[quote][p][bold]Abington86[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]essexjack07[/bold] wrote: What about all the staff that charge their phones on a daily basis throughout the hospital especially those sitting in an office? It would be interesting to see what the cost of this is yearly. All staff that are doing this are also stealing electricity.[/p][/quote]Have you ever thought that they may allowed to charge their phones from their offices? and I dont think it is really about the cost. Tracey (47) was told on 3 separate occasions not to charge her phone in a hospital waiting room. And she still did it. Why did Tracey think that she could do as she pleased? The more we learn about this story the more questions are raised. Far too many. She must wish that she hadn't contacted the Echo. Absolutely diabolical.[/p][/quote]A friend of mine was in A&E at the time the security guard was very polite even when this woman was rude to him he even offered her the use of his own mobile I'd of thrown her out leighelite
  • Score: 0

6:58pm Tue 29 Apr 14

Abington86 says...

leighelite wrote:
Abington86 wrote:
essexjack07 wrote: What about all the staff that charge their phones on a daily basis throughout the hospital especially those sitting in an office? It would be interesting to see what the cost of this is yearly. All staff that are doing this are also stealing electricity.
Have you ever thought that they may allowed to charge their phones from their offices? and I dont think it is really about the cost. Tracey (47) was told on 3 separate occasions not to charge her phone in a hospital waiting room. And she still did it. Why did Tracey think that she could do as she pleased? The more we learn about this story the more questions are raised. Far too many. She must wish that she hadn't contacted the Echo. Absolutely diabolical.
A friend of mine was in A&E at the time the security guard was very polite even when this woman was rude to him he even offered her the use of his own mobile I'd of thrown her out
Would this be the same Security guard who said that she would be done for stealing NHS electricity? What a strange fellow he must be to say that and then offer Tracey (47) the use of his phone.

Unless of course she has 'got things mixed up.' Absolutely diabolical.
[quote][p][bold]leighelite[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Abington86[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]essexjack07[/bold] wrote: What about all the staff that charge their phones on a daily basis throughout the hospital especially those sitting in an office? It would be interesting to see what the cost of this is yearly. All staff that are doing this are also stealing electricity.[/p][/quote]Have you ever thought that they may allowed to charge their phones from their offices? and I dont think it is really about the cost. Tracey (47) was told on 3 separate occasions not to charge her phone in a hospital waiting room. And she still did it. Why did Tracey think that she could do as she pleased? The more we learn about this story the more questions are raised. Far too many. She must wish that she hadn't contacted the Echo. Absolutely diabolical.[/p][/quote]A friend of mine was in A&E at the time the security guard was very polite even when this woman was rude to him he even offered her the use of his own mobile I'd of thrown her out[/p][/quote]Would this be the same Security guard who said that she would be done for stealing NHS electricity? What a strange fellow he must be to say that and then offer Tracey (47) the use of his phone. Unless of course she has 'got things mixed up.' Absolutely diabolical. Abington86
  • Score: 1

7:45pm Tue 29 Apr 14

leighelite says...

Abington86 wrote:
leighelite wrote:
Abington86 wrote:
essexjack07 wrote: What about all the staff that charge their phones on a daily basis throughout the hospital especially those sitting in an office? It would be interesting to see what the cost of this is yearly. All staff that are doing this are also stealing electricity.
Have you ever thought that they may allowed to charge their phones from their offices? and I dont think it is really about the cost. Tracey (47) was told on 3 separate occasions not to charge her phone in a hospital waiting room. And she still did it. Why did Tracey think that she could do as she pleased? The more we learn about this story the more questions are raised. Far too many. She must wish that she hadn't contacted the Echo. Absolutely diabolical.
A friend of mine was in A&E at the time the security guard was very polite even when this woman was rude to him he even offered her the use of his own mobile I'd of thrown her out
Would this be the same Security guard who said that she would be done for stealing NHS electricity? What a strange fellow he must be to say that and then offer Tracey (47) the use of his phone.

Unless of course she has 'got things mixed up.' Absolutely diabolical.
Sounds a very odd scenario or Tracey has told half a story.
[quote][p][bold]Abington86[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]leighelite[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Abington86[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]essexjack07[/bold] wrote: What about all the staff that charge their phones on a daily basis throughout the hospital especially those sitting in an office? It would be interesting to see what the cost of this is yearly. All staff that are doing this are also stealing electricity.[/p][/quote]Have you ever thought that they may allowed to charge their phones from their offices? and I dont think it is really about the cost. Tracey (47) was told on 3 separate occasions not to charge her phone in a hospital waiting room. And she still did it. Why did Tracey think that she could do as she pleased? The more we learn about this story the more questions are raised. Far too many. She must wish that she hadn't contacted the Echo. Absolutely diabolical.[/p][/quote]A friend of mine was in A&E at the time the security guard was very polite even when this woman was rude to him he even offered her the use of his own mobile I'd of thrown her out[/p][/quote]Would this be the same Security guard who said that she would be done for stealing NHS electricity? What a strange fellow he must be to say that and then offer Tracey (47) the use of his phone. Unless of course she has 'got things mixed up.' Absolutely diabolical.[/p][/quote]Sounds a very odd scenario or Tracey has told half a story. leighelite
  • Score: 3

8:18pm Tue 29 Apr 14

boomph says...

DogsMessInLeigh wrote:
Sorry but what sort of emergency was this to call an ambulance to go a few minutes up the road...i mean do you get left in an Ambulance at A+E for 30 minutes before you get checked in, in an 'Emergency'...? and are you left in the waiting room after check in and then get up and go home if you are not seen to after 2 hours when its an 'Emergency'..? the last thing i would be thinking is grabbing a phone and the charger in an 'Emergency'..then leave it 2 days before going back , something don't sound right here don't think we have the full story or its exaggerated.for effect.
The lady in question only has one leg.
[quote][p][bold]DogsMessInLeigh[/bold] wrote: Sorry but what sort of emergency was this to call an ambulance to go a few minutes up the road...i mean do you get left in an Ambulance at A+E for 30 minutes before you get checked in, in an 'Emergency'...? and are you left in the waiting room after check in and then get up and go home if you are not seen to after 2 hours when its an 'Emergency'..? the last thing i would be thinking is grabbing a phone and the charger in an 'Emergency'..then leave it 2 days before going back , something don't sound right here don't think we have the full story or its exaggerated.for effect.[/p][/quote]The lady in question only has one leg. boomph
  • Score: 1

8:20pm Tue 29 Apr 14

boomph says...

We all pay for the NHS wages and electricity.
We all pay for the NHS wages and electricity. boomph
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree