Leigh beautician killed by deadly gin mixed with methanol in Indonesia

Cheznye Emmons

Cheznye Emmons

First published in News
Last updated
by

BACKPACKERS are being warned to “stick to beer” by the parents of a girl who died in Indonesia after drinking a deadly moonshine.


They spoke out after an inquest at Chelmsford Coroners Court recorded a verdict of misadventure in connection with the death of daughter Cheznye Emmons, 23, on the holiday island last April.


The court heard the beautician from Great Wakering, who worked in a Leigh spa, died after drinking gin which had been mixed with methanol while travelling with boyfriend Joe Cook, 22.


The court heard after experiencing sudden blindness and convulsions she was rushed to hospital and died five days later.


Outside the hearing, her family, from Morrins Close, Great Wakering, spoke of their determination to prevent further deaths through a campaign to prevent other families experiencing such heartbreak.


Father Brenton Emmons said: "This is being sold in shops, restaurants and bars - places where you might think it is safe. But the message is really 'stick to beer' because otherwise you don't know what risk you are taking."

More in tomorrow's Echo.

 

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:41pm Tue 17 Jun 14

LexyGirl says...

This is such a tragic story, a beautiful bright fun loving girl lost her life because her drink was spiked with methanol. Heart breaking ;((
This is such a tragic story, a beautiful bright fun loving girl lost her life because her drink was spiked with methanol. Heart breaking ;(( LexyGirl
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree