A PARADE to mark the beginning of the First World War has been cancelled.
Basildon Council organised the event for Saturday, August 9 to march through the town centre and hoped to get residents on board and taking part.
But today a spokesman said they had cancelled the event because not enough people had come forward to take part.
He said: “Basildon Council is alerting residents that regretfully the World War One centenary parade, due to be held in the town centre on Saturday, August 9, has had to be cancelled.
“Aa number of factors, including the expectation of low marcher numbers, has led to the decision.”
The council announced earlier this year it was holding a series events, including the parade, throughout the year to commemorate 100 years since the First World War.
It is also giving away £1,000 to community groups holding events to mark the occasion.
Basildon Council’s website said the parade had not had enough cadets come forward to take part.