THE father of a British backpacker who died from drinking fake gin has discovered it is still being sold in Indonesia.

Cheznye Emmons, 23, became fatally ill after drinking the spirit laced with methanol in April last year.

Her family, from Great Wakering, are trying to raise awareness of methanol poisoning.

Ms Emmons’s father, Brenton, discovered several shops still selling the gin when he returned to northern Sumatra for the BBC One programme Fake Britain.

Mr Emmons was told police had closed downawarehouse where more than 5,000 bottles of fake gin had been found and there had been a drop in the number of shops selling it near to where Cheznye had visited in the Bukit Lawang area. He said: “When Cheznye was visiting, you could buy it in about 200 shops there. Now it’s only available in two or three stores.”

Mr Emmons said following the episode of Fake Britain, the family’s website Save a Life Campaign had thousands of hits.

He added: “We had comments from people who saw the programme, thanking us for raising awareness of the dangers of methanol. That’s really encouraging.”

Plans are under way to distribute warning posters to doctors’ surgeries around the UK.

He added: “The only thing we’re able to do now is try to prevent any more deaths like Cheznye’s.”