Cats and kittens killed in house fire

Firefighters outside the house

The fire ripped through the house and burnt through some of the stairs

Firefighters had to use a ladder due to the damage to the stairs

First published in News
Last updated
by

SIX cats, including two kittens, were killed when fire ripped though a home in Leigh, leaving a family homeless.

The fire, dubbed by firefighters as the most damaging to hit the area this year, devastated the semi-detached home in Southwood Gardens.

Firefighters in four engines rushed to the property at about 2.30pm to find the ground floor completely alight and the first floor also 50 per cent alight.

Flames were so fierce they had burnt through some of the first floor and stairs, preventing firefighters from reaching some of the building, with one reporting the heat was so great it even melted his visor.

The family, consisting of a mum and her two children, were out at the time so fire crews attempted to rescue the 11 cats living there, but sadly could not save them all.

Karl Smith, a sub officer with the fire service, said: “The cats were throughout the house and the crews worked exceptionally well to find them, but although five cats were saved, sadly six were deceased, including two kittens.

“We revived two of them using oxygen and heart massage and our hearts go out to the young lady whose lost those cats and her home.”

Leading fire fighter Steve Wright from Southend fire station, added: “We couldn’t get to the first floor because the part of the ceiling fell through. The stairs were virtually burnt through too.

“The fire started downstairs, but it really rapidly spread through the building. There was a huge amount of fire damage.

“There were eight firefighters wearing breathing apparatus to extinguish the blaze. It was so severe that we thought next door would be affected. Luckily we stopped that in time and thankfully it didn’t get into the roof.”

The fire took an hour to put out, but the home will be uninhabitable for some time due to the extensive fire and smoke damage.

Mr Wright added: “Because of the heat and not being able to get to get to some of the rooms it was very difficult.

“It’s a while since we have had such a well developed fire. I haven’t seen damage to that extent all year because it had really spread throughout the house.”

A joint investigation by the fire service and police will be carried out to establish the cause of the blaze.

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:52pm Fri 22 Aug 14

black jack ketchum says...

How horrific, RIP little ones :(
How horrific, RIP little ones :( black jack ketchum
  • Score: 19

10:23am Sat 23 Aug 14

sesibollox says...

Should of had a cat flap...
Should of had a cat flap... sesibollox
  • Score: -9

11:35am Sat 23 Aug 14

saffron mitchell says...

that was one of my bf's house how goes to school with me and we went on the firebreak corse together and she also lives the house in the road next to my road
that was one of my bf's house how goes to school with me and we went on the firebreak corse together and she also lives the house in the road next to my road saffron mitchell
  • Score: -7

12:23pm Sat 23 Aug 14

Now listen for I have something to say says...

saffron mitchell wrote:
that was one of my bf's house how goes to school with me and we went on the firebreak corse together and she also lives the house in the road next to my road
Literacy obviously isn't your forte then .....
[quote][p][bold]saffron mitchell[/bold] wrote: that was one of my bf's house how goes to school with me and we went on the firebreak corse together and she also lives the house in the road next to my road[/p][/quote]Literacy obviously isn't your forte then ..... Now listen for I have something to say
  • Score: 14

9:52pm Sun 24 Aug 14

Pepsikaire says...

Across the back of the house is a large run for the cats to use but obviously they were unable to get out as one is assuming the fire started in the kitchen area. So a cat flap would not have made a difference.
It's utterly horrific for the family. Everything has been lost and they have to start rebuilding their lives. The situation was not helped by reporters asking questions as their lives crumbled before their eyes, or trespassed around the property to get photographs of the devastation. Shame on you!
Across the back of the house is a large run for the cats to use but obviously they were unable to get out as one is assuming the fire started in the kitchen area. So a cat flap would not have made a difference. It's utterly horrific for the family. Everything has been lost and they have to start rebuilding their lives. The situation was not helped by reporters asking questions as their lives crumbled before their eyes, or trespassed around the property to get photographs of the devastation. Shame on you! Pepsikaire
  • Score: 4

10:02pm Sun 24 Aug 14

pussycats says...

Well said Pepsikaire. There are some heartless people on this site. When stories of such devastation, human and animal tragedies and those suffering from a mental illness......come to light, they think that trying to be funny makes them clever. No it doesn't......it just shows them as inadequate and sad people.
Well said Pepsikaire. There are some heartless people on this site. When stories of such devastation, human and animal tragedies and those suffering from a mental illness......come to light, they think that trying to be funny makes them clever. No it doesn't......it just shows them as inadequate and sad people. pussycats
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree