Bus and lorry drivers in tense face-off at Shoebury Asda

Bonnet to bonnet – the Asda lorry and Arriva bus in the bus lane

Bonnet to bonnet – the Asda lorry and Arriva bus in the bus lane

First published in News by

A BUS and lorry driver were locked in a battle of wills during a tense standoff in an Asda car park.

The Arriva bus driver and the Asda delivery man both refused to back down, after the Asda lorry had entered a lane marked “Buses Only” at the supermarket in Frobisher Way, Shoebury.

Their vehicles were parked nose to nose as shocked shoppers looked on during the incident yesterday afternoon.

Asda security staff were then called to settle the dispute, which eventually saw the bus reverse.

Aaron Kelly, security officer at the store, said: “It was an Asda-authorised delivery lorry.

“Because the land outside the store is owned by Asda they can authorise people to use the bus lane, but Arriva did not know on this occasion.

“The bus driver blocked the lorry and refused to move, saying it could not legally reverse through the car park.

“We had to go out and explain everything to the driver and after five or ten minutes of talking, the bus driver reversed out of the way.”

While the vehicles looked like they were touching, it is not thought they had hit each other.

One onlooker, who asked not to be named, said: “From what I could see they were very close, but not touching.

“I don’t know if they actually crashed – they both drove off fine.

“The lorry had obviously come down the bus lane, which he should not have done, but the bus driver was being very stubborn and refusing to move.”

Nobody from bus company Arriva was unavailable for comment.

Comments (67)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:52am Wed 3 Sep 14

Robin Reliant says...

Many Bus Drivers are miserable gits, there are a few exceptions and they know who they are.
Many Bus Drivers are miserable gits, there are a few exceptions and they know who they are. Robin Reliant
  • Score: 69

8:04am Wed 3 Sep 14

pembury53 says...

surprised that didn't make the national news, wow what a story.....
surprised that didn't make the national news, wow what a story..... pembury53
  • Score: 28

8:41am Wed 3 Sep 14

andyproberts@hotmail.com says...

I think both drivers need to grow up - if I'd been a passenger on the bus, I'd have sorted it out myself. What a ludicrous situation!
I think both drivers need to grow up - if I'd been a passenger on the bus, I'd have sorted it out myself. What a ludicrous situation! andyproberts@hotmail.com
  • Score: 29

9:16am Wed 3 Sep 14

ddf35 says...

How immature.
How immature. ddf35
  • Score: 34

9:21am Wed 3 Sep 14

n-unknown says...

So the bus driver said he could not legally reverse the bus, but did it anyway? Jobsworth.
So the bus driver said he could not legally reverse the bus, but did it anyway? Jobsworth. n-unknown
  • Score: 27

9:29am Wed 3 Sep 14

Robin Reliant says...

n-unknown wrote:
So the bus driver said he could not legally reverse the bus, but did it anyway? Jobsworth.
Yes he lost face over it, bet he was minging for the rest of the day, well more so than usual, either one could have been the 'man' of the day and done the right thing and worked round it.
[quote][p][bold]n-unknown[/bold] wrote: So the bus driver said he could not legally reverse the bus, but did it anyway? Jobsworth.[/p][/quote]Yes he lost face over it, bet he was minging for the rest of the day, well more so than usual, either one could have been the 'man' of the day and done the right thing and worked round it. Robin Reliant
  • Score: 26

9:57am Wed 3 Sep 14

pendulum says...

I think I'm going with the bus driver here. I know they are told by their bosses NOT to reverse and there are rules about it... in addition the bus driver was clearly using a lane marked Bus Lane regardless of who actually owns the land... and the bus driver in the end was the one to say "Sod this stupidity" and move anyway. It also looks like the delivery van got there second and has an easier reverse.
I think I'm going with the bus driver here. I know they are told by their bosses NOT to reverse and there are rules about it... in addition the bus driver was clearly using a lane marked Bus Lane regardless of who actually owns the land... and the bus driver in the end was the one to say "Sod this stupidity" and move anyway. It also looks like the delivery van got there second and has an easier reverse. pendulum
  • Score: 39

10:04am Wed 3 Sep 14

tmbarry says...

Echo make up the story as they go along! This really isn't news, but this was an unbranded lorry and actually didn't Evan park in Asda at all just drove out the other side after the bus moved out the way. A lot of time was waisted and the poor bus passengers time was waisted because of it but the lorry should have taken his head out his backside and just gone around like others have too, it's not like the bus can change Route, several busses were held up because of a stupid lorry driver.
Echo make up the story as they go along! This really isn't news, but this was an unbranded lorry and actually didn't Evan park in Asda at all just drove out the other side after the bus moved out the way. A lot of time was waisted and the poor bus passengers time was waisted because of it but the lorry should have taken his head out his backside and just gone around like others have too, it's not like the bus can change Route, several busses were held up because of a stupid lorry driver. tmbarry
  • Score: 28

11:20am Wed 3 Sep 14

stopmoaning1 says...

Oh the excitement, I wish I'd have been there.
Oh the excitement, I wish I'd have been there. stopmoaning1
  • Score: 11

11:52am Wed 3 Sep 14

thecoat says...

Shame there wasn’t fisty cuffs really, that would have settled it once and for all!
Shame there wasn’t fisty cuffs really, that would have settled it once and for all! thecoat
  • Score: -2

12:22pm Wed 3 Sep 14

thecoat says...

I bet he was proper mugged off in the canteen later that day.

His short sleeved white shirt would have been covered in tears all down his tattooed forearms.......
I bet he was proper mugged off in the canteen later that day. His short sleeved white shirt would have been covered in tears all down his tattooed forearms....... thecoat
  • Score: -4

12:47pm Wed 3 Sep 14

I care about rayleigh says...

Why should the bus reverse? It was in the bus lane, the lorry was in the wrong place.
Why should the bus reverse? It was in the bus lane, the lorry was in the wrong place. I care about rayleigh
  • Score: 30

2:42pm Wed 3 Sep 14

roger moore says...

i'm with the bus driver on this one, the amount of times i see lorries and cars driving in bus only areas and parked up in bus stops. why should people who promote green travel by using public transport have to put up with the selfishness of road users?!
i'm with the bus driver on this one, the amount of times i see lorries and cars driving in bus only areas and parked up in bus stops. why should people who promote green travel by using public transport have to put up with the selfishness of road users?! roger moore
  • Score: 23

2:44pm Wed 3 Sep 14

roger moore says...

even says on the sign 'buses only', stupid lorry driver!
even says on the sign 'buses only', stupid lorry driver! roger moore
  • Score: 23

2:52pm Wed 3 Sep 14

Bernard Fatsack says...

stopmoaning1 wrote:
Oh the excitement, I wish I'd have been there.
I don't know how I sleep at night with such heinous crimes. All bus drivers in Pakistan are paedophiles I have learnt according to the Daily Mail and all lorry drivers are rapists according to Jeremy Clarkson.
[quote][p][bold]stopmoaning1[/bold] wrote: Oh the excitement, I wish I'd have been there.[/p][/quote]I don't know how I sleep at night with such heinous crimes. All bus drivers in Pakistan are paedophiles I have learnt according to the Daily Mail and all lorry drivers are rapists according to Jeremy Clarkson. Bernard Fatsack
  • Score: 4

3:00pm Wed 3 Sep 14

Steve H says...

I care about rayleigh wrote:
Why should the bus reverse? It was in the bus lane, the lorry was in the wrong place.
From the article,

“Because the land outside the store is owned by Asda they can authorise people to use the bus lane, but Arriva did not know on this occasion. "

What part of that sentence do you not understand?
[quote][p][bold]I care about rayleigh[/bold] wrote: Why should the bus reverse? It was in the bus lane, the lorry was in the wrong place.[/p][/quote]From the article, “Because the land outside the store is owned by Asda they can authorise people to use the bus lane, but Arriva did not know on this occasion. " What part of that sentence do you not understand? Steve H
  • Score: -9

3:31pm Wed 3 Sep 14

Sensible Man says...

This lorry driver sounds like several pieces short of a full load. Er- Buses Only - now what does that mean?? And how do all the other lorry drivers get in??? Why did this guy not follow them???

Well done to the bus driver for standing your ground against this idiot!!!
This lorry driver sounds like several pieces short of a full load. Er- Buses Only - now what does that mean?? And how do all the other lorry drivers get in??? Why did this guy not follow them??? Well done to the bus driver for standing your ground against this idiot!!! Sensible Man
  • Score: 15

4:01pm Wed 3 Sep 14

MilesBond says...

This is why I shop at Waitrose.
This is why I shop at Waitrose. MilesBond
  • Score: 9

4:07pm Wed 3 Sep 14

danger2013 says...

Im with the asda lorry driver. Its an asda carpark and hes an asda lorry. So therefore if he wants to drive in the asda bus lane he can. Its private land so with the land owners permission he drive where he wants.
Im with the asda lorry driver. Its an asda carpark and hes an asda lorry. So therefore if he wants to drive in the asda bus lane he can. Its private land so with the land owners permission he drive where he wants. danger2013
  • Score: -22

4:15pm Wed 3 Sep 14

Bernard Fatsack says...

MilesBond wrote:
This is why I shop at Waitrose.
I agree, I use Fortnum & Mason as Adas entrance always blocked with buss and lorries. Sounds like Dumb and Dumber should have had a duel to the death. The new japanese knot weed salad in Netto is worth tasting though..............
.....wheres my tablets......
[quote][p][bold]MilesBond[/bold] wrote: This is why I shop at Waitrose.[/p][/quote]I agree, I use Fortnum & Mason as Adas entrance always blocked with buss and lorries. Sounds like Dumb and Dumber should have had a duel to the death. The new japanese knot weed salad in Netto is worth tasting though.............. .....wheres my tablets...... Bernard Fatsack
  • Score: 8

4:48pm Wed 3 Sep 14

Sensible Man says...

danger2013 wrote:
Im with the asda lorry driver. Its an asda carpark and hes an asda lorry. So therefore if he wants to drive in the asda bus lane he can. Its private land so with the land owners permission he drive where he wants.
Er - DOH!!!
Where does it show on the lorry that it is an "ASDA" lorry?? If it was - why did this ASDA lorry driver not follow all the other Asda lorries down the correct route instead of stupidly going down a "Buses Only" lane??

Well done bus driver!!!! ASDA - get a grip!!!!
[quote][p][bold]danger2013[/bold] wrote: Im with the asda lorry driver. Its an asda carpark and hes an asda lorry. So therefore if he wants to drive in the asda bus lane he can. Its private land so with the land owners permission he drive where he wants.[/p][/quote]Er - DOH!!! Where does it show on the lorry that it is an "ASDA" lorry?? If it was - why did this ASDA lorry driver not follow all the other Asda lorries down the correct route instead of stupidly going down a "Buses Only" lane?? Well done bus driver!!!! ASDA - get a grip!!!! Sensible Man
  • Score: 19

5:14pm Wed 3 Sep 14

danger2013 says...

Sensible Man wrote:
danger2013 wrote:
Im with the asda lorry driver. Its an asda carpark and hes an asda lorry. So therefore if he wants to drive in the asda bus lane he can. Its private land so with the land owners permission he drive where he wants.
Er - DOH!!!
Where does it show on the lorry that it is an "ASDA" lorry?? If it was - why did this ASDA lorry driver not follow all the other Asda lorries down the correct route instead of stupidly going down a "Buses Only" lane??

Well done bus driver!!!! ASDA - get a grip!!!!
The clue was in the story.

The Arriva bus driver and the Asda delivery man both refused to back down,

The asda lorry can go where he wants. Its asda and asda rules.
This was not a public highway
[quote][p][bold]Sensible Man[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]danger2013[/bold] wrote: Im with the asda lorry driver. Its an asda carpark and hes an asda lorry. So therefore if he wants to drive in the asda bus lane he can. Its private land so with the land owners permission he drive where he wants.[/p][/quote]Er - DOH!!! Where does it show on the lorry that it is an "ASDA" lorry?? If it was - why did this ASDA lorry driver not follow all the other Asda lorries down the correct route instead of stupidly going down a "Buses Only" lane?? Well done bus driver!!!! ASDA - get a grip!!!![/p][/quote]The clue was in the story. The Arriva bus driver and the Asda delivery man both refused to back down, The asda lorry can go where he wants. Its asda and asda rules. This was not a public highway danger2013
  • Score: -6

5:42pm Wed 3 Sep 14

Sensible Man says...

Well - perhaps this matter should be raised with the very well-paid PCC Mr. Alston on 10 September on Canvey. (How DOES he spend all that massive salary????). He could also be asked about the disgusting behaviour witnessed over the weekend by a certain section of the population. Please ask him how many arrests were made and - if none - why none??

After all - Mr. Alston does get a frighteningly HUGE salary!! What on EARTH does he do for it????
Well - perhaps this matter should be raised with the very well-paid PCC Mr. Alston on 10 September on Canvey. (How DOES he spend all that massive salary????). He could also be asked about the disgusting behaviour witnessed over the weekend by a certain section of the population. Please ask him how many arrests were made and - if none - why none?? After all - Mr. Alston does get a frighteningly HUGE salary!! What on EARTH does he do for it???? Sensible Man
  • Score: 2

6:00pm Wed 3 Sep 14

Sensible Man says...

danger2013 wrote:
Sensible Man wrote:
danger2013 wrote:
Im with the asda lorry driver. Its an asda carpark and hes an asda lorry. So therefore if he wants to drive in the asda bus lane he can. Its private land so with the land owners permission he drive where he wants.
Er - DOH!!!
Where does it show on the lorry that it is an "ASDA" lorry?? If it was - why did this ASDA lorry driver not follow all the other Asda lorries down the correct route instead of stupidly going down a "Buses Only" lane??

Well done bus driver!!!! ASDA - get a grip!!!!
The clue was in the story.

The Arriva bus driver and the Asda delivery man both refused to back down,

The asda lorry can go where he wants. Its asda and asda rules.
This was not a public highway
What a STUPID STUPID post!!!! Look at the photo - how could the bus driver know that this strange - geography - averse - lorry driver was a proper ASDA lorry? Lorry driver - please try and learn where lorries go and what "Buses Only" means!!! My God - its not hard!!!!
[quote][p][bold]danger2013[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sensible Man[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]danger2013[/bold] wrote: Im with the asda lorry driver. Its an asda carpark and hes an asda lorry. So therefore if he wants to drive in the asda bus lane he can. Its private land so with the land owners permission he drive where he wants.[/p][/quote]Er - DOH!!! Where does it show on the lorry that it is an "ASDA" lorry?? If it was - why did this ASDA lorry driver not follow all the other Asda lorries down the correct route instead of stupidly going down a "Buses Only" lane?? Well done bus driver!!!! ASDA - get a grip!!!![/p][/quote]The clue was in the story. The Arriva bus driver and the Asda delivery man both refused to back down, The asda lorry can go where he wants. Its asda and asda rules. This was not a public highway[/p][/quote]What a STUPID STUPID post!!!! Look at the photo - how could the bus driver know that this strange - geography - averse - lorry driver was a proper ASDA lorry? Lorry driver - please try and learn where lorries go and what "Buses Only" means!!! My God - its not hard!!!! Sensible Man
  • Score: 9

7:09pm Wed 3 Sep 14

the25man says...

What's the point of the buses only sign very few people take any notice of it.
It's not enforceable any way as the Asda security can't read as it shows by them getting the bus to reverse.
Like most supermarket parking signage quite a few take no notice it.
What's the point of the buses only sign very few people take any notice of it. It's not enforceable any way as the Asda security can't read as it shows by them getting the bus to reverse. Like most supermarket parking signage quite a few take no notice it. the25man
  • Score: 6

7:26pm Wed 3 Sep 14

Nelly99 says...

I know this cut through well as I live there. The general rule seems to be that you can use it as long as a bus doesn't want to come out or go in. That whole system is flawed since the poor people in Nth Shoebury have a ridiculous task to get into North Shoebury Road without driving all the way round to Elm Road or going through the Asda car park. On this occasion the bus driver was 100% right. The lorry, Asda or not, had no right to block the bus. Arriva drivers are much maligned yet do their best. They are not allowed to reverse except in an emergency. The prunes that drive vans all day don't give a t*ss for anyone anyway. Strange though that while waiting for a bus yesterday at 1.0 p.m 12 buses came into Asda but in half an hour only one left. I missed an important meeting with my bank!
I know this cut through well as I live there. The general rule seems to be that you can use it as long as a bus doesn't want to come out or go in. That whole system is flawed since the poor people in Nth Shoebury have a ridiculous task to get into North Shoebury Road without driving all the way round to Elm Road or going through the Asda car park. On this occasion the bus driver was 100% right. The lorry, Asda or not, had no right to block the bus. Arriva drivers are much maligned yet do their best. They are not allowed to reverse except in an emergency. The prunes that drive vans all day don't give a t*ss for anyone anyway. Strange though that while waiting for a bus yesterday at 1.0 p.m 12 buses came into Asda but in half an hour only one left. I missed an important meeting with my bank! Nelly99
  • Score: 0

7:29pm Wed 3 Sep 14

Nelly99 says...

Robin Reliant wrote:
Many Bus Drivers are miserable gits, there are a few exceptions and they know who they are.
Do you ever have a day off, (Dogmessinleigh). You can change your name but your stupid repetative posts are wearing thin. Every story there you are first comment and several through the day. Get a,life you silly fool. And think twice before you start hurling abuse at fellow posters. We are all entitled to an opinion but not you! (divi).
[quote][p][bold]Robin Reliant[/bold] wrote: Many Bus Drivers are miserable gits, there are a few exceptions and they know who they are.[/p][/quote]Do you ever have a day off, (Dogmessinleigh). You can change your name but your stupid repetative posts are wearing thin. Every story there you are first comment and several through the day. Get a,life you silly fool. And think twice before you start hurling abuse at fellow posters. We are all entitled to an opinion but not you! (divi). Nelly99
  • Score: -1

7:31pm Wed 3 Sep 14

Nelly99 says...

Robin Reliant wrote:
n-unknown wrote:
So the bus driver said he could not legally reverse the bus, but did it anyway? Jobsworth.
Yes he lost face over it, bet he was minging for the rest of the day, well more so than usual, either one could have been the 'man' of the day and done the right thing and worked round it.
They are NOT allowed to reverse d*ckhead. Check your facts before running your mouth!
[quote][p][bold]Robin Reliant[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]n-unknown[/bold] wrote: So the bus driver said he could not legally reverse the bus, but did it anyway? Jobsworth.[/p][/quote]Yes he lost face over it, bet he was minging for the rest of the day, well more so than usual, either one could have been the 'man' of the day and done the right thing and worked round it.[/p][/quote]They are NOT allowed to reverse d*ckhead. Check your facts before running your mouth! Nelly99
  • Score: -9

7:32pm Wed 3 Sep 14

jolllyboy says...

I am with the bus driver. If you have lane for buses then Asda should have other arrangements for lorries becos it is incredibly dangerous. Just like shared space pedestrians and cyclists.
I am with the bus driver. If you have lane for buses then Asda should have other arrangements for lorries becos it is incredibly dangerous. Just like shared space pedestrians and cyclists. jolllyboy
  • Score: 7

7:34pm Wed 3 Sep 14

Nelly99 says...

Bernard Fatsack wrote:
MilesBond wrote:
This is why I shop at Waitrose.
I agree, I use Fortnum & Mason as Adas entrance always blocked with buss and lorries. Sounds like Dumb and Dumber should have had a duel to the death. The new japanese knot weed salad in Netto is worth tasting though..............

.....wheres my tablets......
This Ada sounds good. Where is it?
[quote][p][bold]Bernard Fatsack[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MilesBond[/bold] wrote: This is why I shop at Waitrose.[/p][/quote]I agree, I use Fortnum & Mason as Adas entrance always blocked with buss and lorries. Sounds like Dumb and Dumber should have had a duel to the death. The new japanese knot weed salad in Netto is worth tasting though.............. .....wheres my tablets......[/p][/quote]This Ada sounds good. Where is it? Nelly99
  • Score: -2

8:18pm Wed 3 Sep 14

Maya Pinnion says...

Is this the follow up to Ernie?
Is this the follow up to Ernie? Maya Pinnion
  • Score: 0

9:33pm Wed 3 Sep 14

white_van_ man says...

And how is it bonnet to bonnet? A buses bonnet is round the back and lorries don't have a bonnet at all!!!!
And how is it bonnet to bonnet? A buses bonnet is round the back and lorries don't have a bonnet at all!!!! white_van_ man
  • Score: 7

9:46pm Wed 3 Sep 14

Robin Reliant says...

Bernard Fatsack wrote:
MilesBond wrote:
This is why I shop at Waitrose.
I agree, I use Fortnum & Mason as Adas entrance always blocked with buss and lorries. Sounds like Dumb and Dumber should have had a duel to the death. The new japanese knot weed salad in Netto is worth tasting though..............

.....wheres my tablets......
Sure you don't mean Mace stores and not Fortnum and Masons Bern.?

maybe they could of had a duel pushing each vehicle to the limits getting the wheels to spin the strongest vehicle wins.
[quote][p][bold]Bernard Fatsack[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MilesBond[/bold] wrote: This is why I shop at Waitrose.[/p][/quote]I agree, I use Fortnum & Mason as Adas entrance always blocked with buss and lorries. Sounds like Dumb and Dumber should have had a duel to the death. The new japanese knot weed salad in Netto is worth tasting though.............. .....wheres my tablets......[/p][/quote]Sure you don't mean Mace stores and not Fortnum and Masons Bern.? maybe they could of had a duel pushing each vehicle to the limits getting the wheels to spin the strongest vehicle wins. Robin Reliant
  • Score: 10

9:49pm Wed 3 Sep 14

Robin Reliant says...

Nelly99 wrote:
Robin Reliant wrote:
n-unknown wrote:
So the bus driver said he could not legally reverse the bus, but did it anyway? Jobsworth.
Yes he lost face over it, bet he was minging for the rest of the day, well more so than usual, either one could have been the 'man' of the day and done the right thing and worked round it.
They are NOT allowed to reverse d*ckhead. Check your facts before running your mouth!
What are you on about you fool, why did he reverse when he is not allowed to then? i get it you are a miserable bus driver, if you ain't you don't half sound like one.
[quote][p][bold]Nelly99[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robin Reliant[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]n-unknown[/bold] wrote: So the bus driver said he could not legally reverse the bus, but did it anyway? Jobsworth.[/p][/quote]Yes he lost face over it, bet he was minging for the rest of the day, well more so than usual, either one could have been the 'man' of the day and done the right thing and worked round it.[/p][/quote]They are NOT allowed to reverse d*ckhead. Check your facts before running your mouth![/p][/quote]What are you on about you fool, why did he reverse when he is not allowed to then? i get it you are a miserable bus driver, if you ain't you don't half sound like one. Robin Reliant
  • Score: 7

9:59pm Wed 3 Sep 14

Now listen for I have something to say says...

Nose to nose two geniuses sat
As the blood in their veins gathered yet more fat
Sitting all day like a member in the big house
Neither giving way like a light stunned grouse
Bus losing fares, lorry shows no cares
Bus gives up, lorry delivers its wares
Nose to nose two geniuses sat As the blood in their veins gathered yet more fat Sitting all day like a member in the big house Neither giving way like a light stunned grouse Bus losing fares, lorry shows no cares Bus gives up, lorry delivers its wares Now listen for I have something to say
  • Score: 6

10:20pm Wed 3 Sep 14

Robin Reliant says...

Robin Reliant wrote:
Nelly99 wrote:
Robin Reliant wrote:
n-unknown wrote:
So the bus driver said he could not legally reverse the bus, but did it anyway? Jobsworth.
Yes he lost face over it, bet he was minging for the rest of the day, well more so than usual, either one could have been the 'man' of the day and done the right thing and worked round it.
They are NOT allowed to reverse d*ckhead. Check your facts before running your mouth!
What are you on about you fool, why did he reverse when he is not allowed to then? i get it you are a miserable bus driver, if you ain't you don't half sound like one.
check YOUR facts first, there is NO law on reversing a bus, its not illegal and the traffic police would not fine a bus driver for doing so, its just something stubborn drivers say when they get in a predicament as they presume non bus drivers wouldn't know any differance,for starters reversing is part of the psv test d*ckhead.
[quote][p][bold]Robin Reliant[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nelly99[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robin Reliant[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]n-unknown[/bold] wrote: So the bus driver said he could not legally reverse the bus, but did it anyway? Jobsworth.[/p][/quote]Yes he lost face over it, bet he was minging for the rest of the day, well more so than usual, either one could have been the 'man' of the day and done the right thing and worked round it.[/p][/quote]They are NOT allowed to reverse d*ckhead. Check your facts before running your mouth![/p][/quote]What are you on about you fool, why did he reverse when he is not allowed to then? i get it you are a miserable bus driver, if you ain't you don't half sound like one.[/p][/quote]check YOUR facts first, there is NO law on reversing a bus, its not illegal and the traffic police would not fine a bus driver for doing so, its just something stubborn drivers say when they get in a predicament as they presume non bus drivers wouldn't know any differance,for starters reversing is part of the psv test d*ckhead. Robin Reliant
  • Score: 9

10:41pm Wed 3 Sep 14

bob64 says...

The biggest story here is the last sentence "nobody ... was unavailable for comment" shocking proof reading again Echo.
The biggest story here is the last sentence "nobody ... was unavailable for comment" shocking proof reading again Echo. bob64
  • Score: 9

1:00am Thu 4 Sep 14

jessloulau says...

Nobody from bus company Arriva was unavailable for comment.

That would make all of them available
Nobody from bus company Arriva was unavailable for comment. That would make all of them available jessloulau
  • Score: 7

8:58am Thu 4 Sep 14

Nelly99 says...

Robin Reliant wrote:
Robin Reliant wrote:
Nelly99 wrote:
Robin Reliant wrote:
n-unknown wrote:
So the bus driver said he could not legally reverse the bus, but did it anyway? Jobsworth.
Yes he lost face over it, bet he was minging for the rest of the day, well more so than usual, either one could have been the 'man' of the day and done the right thing and worked round it.
They are NOT allowed to reverse d*ckhead. Check your facts before running your mouth!
What are you on about you fool, why did he reverse when he is not allowed to then? i get it you are a miserable bus driver, if you ain't you don't half sound like one.
check YOUR facts first, there is NO law on reversing a bus, its not illegal and the traffic police would not fine a bus driver for doing so, its just something stubborn drivers say when they get in a predicament as they presume non bus drivers wouldn't know any differance,for starters reversing is part of the psv test d*ckhead.
God, you are so stupid not to mention persistent. There is a crossing right behind where the bus stopped. Can you imagine what would be said had he backed up and ran someone over. Of course the bus can go backwards and it may well be part of the test but with zero visibilty they are advised not to reverse except in an emergency, and this wasn't. Just some knob in a van who couldn't be bothered to drive round. As for being miserable the drivers probably respond to you being a moaning old git. I have found them friendly and helpful. Oh and there is no need to sign your post!
[quote][p][bold]Robin Reliant[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robin Reliant[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nelly99[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robin Reliant[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]n-unknown[/bold] wrote: So the bus driver said he could not legally reverse the bus, but did it anyway? Jobsworth.[/p][/quote]Yes he lost face over it, bet he was minging for the rest of the day, well more so than usual, either one could have been the 'man' of the day and done the right thing and worked round it.[/p][/quote]They are NOT allowed to reverse d*ckhead. Check your facts before running your mouth![/p][/quote]What are you on about you fool, why did he reverse when he is not allowed to then? i get it you are a miserable bus driver, if you ain't you don't half sound like one.[/p][/quote]check YOUR facts first, there is NO law on reversing a bus, its not illegal and the traffic police would not fine a bus driver for doing so, its just something stubborn drivers say when they get in a predicament as they presume non bus drivers wouldn't know any differance,for starters reversing is part of the psv test d*ckhead.[/p][/quote]God, you are so stupid not to mention persistent. There is a crossing right behind where the bus stopped. Can you imagine what would be said had he backed up and ran someone over. Of course the bus can go backwards and it may well be part of the test but with zero visibilty they are advised not to reverse except in an emergency, and this wasn't. Just some knob in a van who couldn't be bothered to drive round. As for being miserable the drivers probably respond to you being a moaning old git. I have found them friendly and helpful. Oh and there is no need to sign your post! Nelly99
  • Score: -2

9:02am Thu 4 Sep 14

Leighdweller says...

bob64 wrote:
The biggest story here is the last sentence "nobody ... was unavailable for comment" shocking proof reading again Echo.
I saw this too, so If nobody was unavailable to comment, that suggests that there should be plenty of comments. Where are then please Echo? I would love to read them.
[quote][p][bold]bob64[/bold] wrote: The biggest story here is the last sentence "nobody ... was unavailable for comment" shocking proof reading again Echo.[/p][/quote]I saw this too, so If nobody was unavailable to comment, that suggests that there should be plenty of comments. Where are then please Echo? I would love to read them. Leighdweller
  • Score: 3

9:06am Thu 4 Sep 14

The King of Southend says...

I don't think it will be long before we have a bus/lorry related honour killing.
I don't think it will be long before we have a bus/lorry related honour killing. The King of Southend
  • Score: 0

9:10am Thu 4 Sep 14

gingerfox says...

ASDA shouldn't have signs they don't follow themselves

Obviously bus and lorry drivers have to be very careful reversing. That's why there was a problem. You would think that the one with the least number of hazards behind could have reversed, maybe assisted by the driver of the other?

ASDA at Shoebury don't answer letters when you write to the management so I'm not surprised they have unsuitable traffic arrangements
ASDA shouldn't have signs they don't follow themselves Obviously bus and lorry drivers have to be very careful reversing. That's why there was a problem. You would think that the one with the least number of hazards behind could have reversed, maybe assisted by the driver of the other? ASDA at Shoebury don't answer letters when you write to the management so I'm not surprised they have unsuitable traffic arrangements gingerfox
  • Score: 2

2:47pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Steve H says...

Nelly99 wrote:
Robin Reliant wrote:
n-unknown wrote:
So the bus driver said he could not legally reverse the bus, but did it anyway? Jobsworth.
Yes he lost face over it, bet he was minging for the rest of the day, well more so than usual, either one could have been the 'man' of the day and done the right thing and worked round it.
They are NOT allowed to reverse d*ckhead. Check your facts before running your mouth!
How do buses get out of Basildon Bus Station?????

Answer, they REVERSE!!!
[quote][p][bold]Nelly99[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robin Reliant[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]n-unknown[/bold] wrote: So the bus driver said he could not legally reverse the bus, but did it anyway? Jobsworth.[/p][/quote]Yes he lost face over it, bet he was minging for the rest of the day, well more so than usual, either one could have been the 'man' of the day and done the right thing and worked round it.[/p][/quote]They are NOT allowed to reverse d*ckhead. Check your facts before running your mouth![/p][/quote]How do buses get out of Basildon Bus Station????? Answer, they REVERSE!!! Steve H
  • Score: 4

2:50pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Steve H says...

I live in a private close where I have a sign saying residents parking only. Now often I have visitors, workmen or deliveries and they park in my residents only space.

By the logic on this thread I shouldn't allow that.

It's my private land, that I own, I can do what the hell I like with it.

If Asda wish to give permission to a driver of theirs to drive on their private land than they can.
I live in a private close where I have a sign saying residents parking only. Now often I have visitors, workmen or deliveries and they park in my residents only space. By the logic on this thread I shouldn't allow that. It's my private land, that I own, I can do what the hell I like with it. If Asda wish to give permission to a driver of theirs to drive on their private land than they can. Steve H
  • Score: 0

4:26pm Thu 4 Sep 14

tmbarry says...

It's like Chinese whispers on here!
Echo stated this is an Asda lorry... THAT FACT IS WRONG!
The man claimed he was an Asda man to the bus driver... He was not! Asda vans are marked for advertising but not just that Asda didn't receive or were due to receive any deliveres at that time. This driver didn't deliver anything he came through the bus lane and just drove out the other side. Asda land is private and arriva bus company and Asda delivery drivers (not lorrys) have access. Asda lorries (that actually work for Asda!) are only really supposed to used the other entrance and will park where the vans for home shopping park. The bus driver asked security for help, because this stuck up lorry driver couldn't be bothered to reverse, he was rude from the beginning and the buses were backed up so the bus driver moved because he was late for his route not because he was forced too.

Might I suggest that echo get all facts straight before publishing what is nothing but there version of a story.
It's like Chinese whispers on here! Echo stated this is an Asda lorry... THAT FACT IS WRONG! The man claimed he was an Asda man to the bus driver... He was not! Asda vans are marked for advertising but not just that Asda didn't receive or were due to receive any deliveres at that time. This driver didn't deliver anything he came through the bus lane and just drove out the other side. Asda land is private and arriva bus company and Asda delivery drivers (not lorrys) have access. Asda lorries (that actually work for Asda!) are only really supposed to used the other entrance and will park where the vans for home shopping park. The bus driver asked security for help, because this stuck up lorry driver couldn't be bothered to reverse, he was rude from the beginning and the buses were backed up so the bus driver moved because he was late for his route not because he was forced too. Might I suggest that echo get all facts straight before publishing what is nothing but there version of a story. tmbarry
  • Score: 1

6:04pm Thu 4 Sep 14

skyh says...

From my understanding, any vehicle reversing onto a main road must have someone at the back of, to assist , a Bus Must have assistance when reversing when carrying passengers, besides which how many people have nearly been knocked down by various vehicles, mainly cars using the Bus Lane, who then is at fault if a vehicle other than a Bus Hits a person in the Bus Lane, the whole thing is a Mockery , when cars can use this at will.
Why put up signs Buses only?
From my understanding, any vehicle reversing onto a main road must have someone at the back of, to assist , a Bus Must have assistance when reversing when carrying passengers, besides which how many people have nearly been knocked down by various vehicles, mainly cars using the Bus Lane, who then is at fault if a vehicle other than a Bus Hits a person in the Bus Lane, the whole thing is a Mockery , when cars can use this at will. Why put up signs Buses only? skyh
  • Score: 1

7:53pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Nelly99 says...

Steve H wrote:
Nelly99 wrote:
Robin Reliant wrote:
n-unknown wrote:
So the bus driver said he could not legally reverse the bus, but did it anyway? Jobsworth.
Yes he lost face over it, bet he was minging for the rest of the day, well more so than usual, either one could have been the 'man' of the day and done the right thing and worked round it.
They are NOT allowed to reverse d*ckhead. Check your facts before running your mouth!
How do buses get out of Basildon Bus Station?????

Answer, they REVERSE!!!
I didn't say buses couldn't reverse! Read the post properly. Obviously a bus can go backwards. I said the drivers aren't allowed to reverse without supervison except in an emergency. How do I know? Because an Arriva driver told me.
[quote][p][bold]Steve H[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nelly99[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robin Reliant[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]n-unknown[/bold] wrote: So the bus driver said he could not legally reverse the bus, but did it anyway? Jobsworth.[/p][/quote]Yes he lost face over it, bet he was minging for the rest of the day, well more so than usual, either one could have been the 'man' of the day and done the right thing and worked round it.[/p][/quote]They are NOT allowed to reverse d*ckhead. Check your facts before running your mouth![/p][/quote]How do buses get out of Basildon Bus Station????? Answer, they REVERSE!!![/p][/quote]I didn't say buses couldn't reverse! Read the post properly. Obviously a bus can go backwards. I said the drivers aren't allowed to reverse without supervison except in an emergency. How do I know? Because an Arriva driver told me. Nelly99
  • Score: -4

8:02pm Thu 4 Sep 14

I See It All says...

Nelly99 wrote:
Steve H wrote:
Nelly99 wrote:
Robin Reliant wrote:
n-unknown wrote:
So the bus driver said he could not legally reverse the bus, but did it anyway? Jobsworth.
Yes he lost face over it, bet he was minging for the rest of the day, well more so than usual, either one could have been the 'man' of the day and done the right thing and worked round it.
They are NOT allowed to reverse d*ckhead. Check your facts before running your mouth!
How do buses get out of Basildon Bus Station?????

Answer, they REVERSE!!!
I didn't say buses couldn't reverse! Read the post properly. Obviously a bus can go backwards. I said the drivers aren't allowed to reverse without supervison except in an emergency. How do I know? Because an Arriva driver told me.
Have you ever been to Southend bus station?

If you want to see buses reversing when full of passengers look where the no1 going to Rayleigh stops and watch every bus reverse to get round the no1 bus standing there
[quote][p][bold]Nelly99[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Steve H[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nelly99[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robin Reliant[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]n-unknown[/bold] wrote: So the bus driver said he could not legally reverse the bus, but did it anyway? Jobsworth.[/p][/quote]Yes he lost face over it, bet he was minging for the rest of the day, well more so than usual, either one could have been the 'man' of the day and done the right thing and worked round it.[/p][/quote]They are NOT allowed to reverse d*ckhead. Check your facts before running your mouth![/p][/quote]How do buses get out of Basildon Bus Station????? Answer, they REVERSE!!![/p][/quote]I didn't say buses couldn't reverse! Read the post properly. Obviously a bus can go backwards. I said the drivers aren't allowed to reverse without supervison except in an emergency. How do I know? Because an Arriva driver told me.[/p][/quote]Have you ever been to Southend bus station? If you want to see buses reversing when full of passengers look where the no1 going to Rayleigh stops and watch every bus reverse to get round the no1 bus standing there I See It All
  • Score: 8

8:04pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Nelly99 says...

gingerfox wrote:
ASDA shouldn't have signs they don't follow themselves

Obviously bus and lorry drivers have to be very careful reversing. That's why there was a problem. You would think that the one with the least number of hazards behind could have reversed, maybe assisted by the driver of the other?

ASDA at Shoebury don't answer letters when you write to the management so I'm not surprised they have unsuitable traffic arrangements
Yes, you are right about Asda. They aren't keen on responding to complaints or suggestions. I once took back 5 trolleys left on our estate and the manager they sent out when I complained,(Jamie),s
aid he didn't care what happened to the trolleys. Their entrance is now an obstacle course of old cr*p like tents, bikes, old clothes and that awful greenhouse. About as welcoming as a cold bath. Sorry, got off the subject a bit there but they have a monopoly and don't really care. As for Arriva I find their customer service and complaints very helpful and they always respond should you feel the need to complain. But that bit of road seriously needs a re-think.
[quote][p][bold]gingerfox[/bold] wrote: ASDA shouldn't have signs they don't follow themselves Obviously bus and lorry drivers have to be very careful reversing. That's why there was a problem. You would think that the one with the least number of hazards behind could have reversed, maybe assisted by the driver of the other? ASDA at Shoebury don't answer letters when you write to the management so I'm not surprised they have unsuitable traffic arrangements[/p][/quote]Yes, you are right about Asda. They aren't keen on responding to complaints or suggestions. I once took back 5 trolleys left on our estate and the manager they sent out when I complained,(Jamie),s aid he didn't care what happened to the trolleys. Their entrance is now an obstacle course of old cr*p like tents, bikes, old clothes and that awful greenhouse. About as welcoming as a cold bath. Sorry, got off the subject a bit there but they have a monopoly and don't really care. As for Arriva I find their customer service and complaints very helpful and they always respond should you feel the need to complain. But that bit of road seriously needs a re-think. Nelly99
  • Score: 0

8:11pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Nelly99 says...

I See It All wrote:
Nelly99 wrote:
Steve H wrote:
Nelly99 wrote:
Robin Reliant wrote:
n-unknown wrote:
So the bus driver said he could not legally reverse the bus, but did it anyway? Jobsworth.
Yes he lost face over it, bet he was minging for the rest of the day, well more so than usual, either one could have been the 'man' of the day and done the right thing and worked round it.
They are NOT allowed to reverse d*ckhead. Check your facts before running your mouth!
How do buses get out of Basildon Bus Station?????

Answer, they REVERSE!!!
I didn't say buses couldn't reverse! Read the post properly. Obviously a bus can go backwards. I said the drivers aren't allowed to reverse without supervison except in an emergency. How do I know? Because an Arriva driver told me.
Have you ever been to Southend bus station?

If you want to see buses reversing when full of passengers look where the no1 going to Rayleigh stops and watch every bus reverse to get round the no1 bus standing there
I See It All: Yes I know where you mean, right at the bottom. I,ve never known a One do that but I don't use that bus a lot. At least not at that point. Maybe it is different in a bus depot. It was a One driver who told me he wasn't allowed to reverse. Caulfield Rd in Shoebury is a council estate. They can't afford to buy their own houses but they all have cars that they park on the road. The poor One drivers have a hell of a job trying to get a bus down there. In this instance they are not allowed to reverse. AND yes before another half-wit says it.."I know buses can go backwards"!
[quote][p][bold]I See It All[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nelly99[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Steve H[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nelly99[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robin Reliant[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]n-unknown[/bold] wrote: So the bus driver said he could not legally reverse the bus, but did it anyway? Jobsworth.[/p][/quote]Yes he lost face over it, bet he was minging for the rest of the day, well more so than usual, either one could have been the 'man' of the day and done the right thing and worked round it.[/p][/quote]They are NOT allowed to reverse d*ckhead. Check your facts before running your mouth![/p][/quote]How do buses get out of Basildon Bus Station????? Answer, they REVERSE!!![/p][/quote]I didn't say buses couldn't reverse! Read the post properly. Obviously a bus can go backwards. I said the drivers aren't allowed to reverse without supervison except in an emergency. How do I know? Because an Arriva driver told me.[/p][/quote]Have you ever been to Southend bus station? If you want to see buses reversing when full of passengers look where the no1 going to Rayleigh stops and watch every bus reverse to get round the no1 bus standing there[/p][/quote]I See It All: Yes I know where you mean, right at the bottom. I,ve never known a One do that but I don't use that bus a lot. At least not at that point. Maybe it is different in a bus depot. It was a One driver who told me he wasn't allowed to reverse. Caulfield Rd in Shoebury is a council estate. They can't afford to buy their own houses but they all have cars that they park on the road. The poor One drivers have a hell of a job trying to get a bus down there. In this instance they are not allowed to reverse. AND yes before another half-wit says it.."I know buses can go backwards"! Nelly99
  • Score: -3

10:33pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Robin Reliant says...

Nelly99 wrote:
I See It All wrote:
Nelly99 wrote:
Steve H wrote:
Nelly99 wrote:
Robin Reliant wrote:
n-unknown wrote:
So the bus driver said he could not legally reverse the bus, but did it anyway? Jobsworth.
Yes he lost face over it, bet he was minging for the rest of the day, well more so than usual, either one could have been the 'man' of the day and done the right thing and worked round it.
They are NOT allowed to reverse d*ckhead. Check your facts before running your mouth!
How do buses get out of Basildon Bus Station?????

Answer, they REVERSE!!!
I didn't say buses couldn't reverse! Read the post properly. Obviously a bus can go backwards. I said the drivers aren't allowed to reverse without supervison except in an emergency. How do I know? Because an Arriva driver told me.
Have you ever been to Southend bus station?

If you want to see buses reversing when full of passengers look where the no1 going to Rayleigh stops and watch every bus reverse to get round the no1 bus standing there
I See It All: Yes I know where you mean, right at the bottom. I,ve never known a One do that but I don't use that bus a lot. At least not at that point. Maybe it is different in a bus depot. It was a One driver who told me he wasn't allowed to reverse. Caulfield Rd in Shoebury is a council estate. They can't afford to buy their own houses but they all have cars that they park on the road. The poor One drivers have a hell of a job trying to get a bus down there. In this instance they are not allowed to reverse. AND yes before another half-wit says it.."I know buses can go backwards"!
I must of hit a nerve, i knew it, you are or where a bus driver a miserable and boring one at that.
[quote][p][bold]Nelly99[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]I See It All[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nelly99[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Steve H[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nelly99[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robin Reliant[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]n-unknown[/bold] wrote: So the bus driver said he could not legally reverse the bus, but did it anyway? Jobsworth.[/p][/quote]Yes he lost face over it, bet he was minging for the rest of the day, well more so than usual, either one could have been the 'man' of the day and done the right thing and worked round it.[/p][/quote]They are NOT allowed to reverse d*ckhead. Check your facts before running your mouth![/p][/quote]How do buses get out of Basildon Bus Station????? Answer, they REVERSE!!![/p][/quote]I didn't say buses couldn't reverse! Read the post properly. Obviously a bus can go backwards. I said the drivers aren't allowed to reverse without supervison except in an emergency. How do I know? Because an Arriva driver told me.[/p][/quote]Have you ever been to Southend bus station? If you want to see buses reversing when full of passengers look where the no1 going to Rayleigh stops and watch every bus reverse to get round the no1 bus standing there[/p][/quote]I See It All: Yes I know where you mean, right at the bottom. I,ve never known a One do that but I don't use that bus a lot. At least not at that point. Maybe it is different in a bus depot. It was a One driver who told me he wasn't allowed to reverse. Caulfield Rd in Shoebury is a council estate. They can't afford to buy their own houses but they all have cars that they park on the road. The poor One drivers have a hell of a job trying to get a bus down there. In this instance they are not allowed to reverse. AND yes before another half-wit says it.."I know buses can go backwards"![/p][/quote]I must of hit a nerve, i knew it, you are or where a bus driver a miserable and boring one at that. Robin Reliant
  • Score: -1

10:41pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Robin Reliant says...

Nelly99 wrote:
Robin Reliant wrote:
Robin Reliant wrote:
Nelly99 wrote:
Robin Reliant wrote:
n-unknown wrote:
So the bus driver said he could not legally reverse the bus, but did it anyway? Jobsworth.
Yes he lost face over it, bet he was minging for the rest of the day, well more so than usual, either one could have been the 'man' of the day and done the right thing and worked round it.
They are NOT allowed to reverse d*ckhead. Check your facts before running your mouth!
What are you on about you fool, why did he reverse when he is not allowed to then? i get it you are a miserable bus driver, if you ain't you don't half sound like one.
check YOUR facts first, there is NO law on reversing a bus, its not illegal and the traffic police would not fine a bus driver for doing so, its just something stubborn drivers say when they get in a predicament as they presume non bus drivers wouldn't know any differance,for starters reversing is part of the psv test d*ckhead.
God, you are so stupid not to mention persistent. There is a crossing right behind where the bus stopped. Can you imagine what would be said had he backed up and ran someone over. Of course the bus can go backwards and it may well be part of the test but with zero visibilty they are advised not to reverse except in an emergency, and this wasn't. Just some knob in a van who couldn't be bothered to drive round. As for being miserable the drivers probably respond to you being a moaning old git. I have found them friendly and helpful. Oh and there is no need to sign your post!
Zero visibilty, on a bus full of glass all-round ? just shows how exceptional lorry drivers are then even ones with 18 wheels manage it extremely well, you sound a bit silly suppose someone has to though.
[quote][p][bold]Nelly99[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robin Reliant[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robin Reliant[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nelly99[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robin Reliant[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]n-unknown[/bold] wrote: So the bus driver said he could not legally reverse the bus, but did it anyway? Jobsworth.[/p][/quote]Yes he lost face over it, bet he was minging for the rest of the day, well more so than usual, either one could have been the 'man' of the day and done the right thing and worked round it.[/p][/quote]They are NOT allowed to reverse d*ckhead. Check your facts before running your mouth![/p][/quote]What are you on about you fool, why did he reverse when he is not allowed to then? i get it you are a miserable bus driver, if you ain't you don't half sound like one.[/p][/quote]check YOUR facts first, there is NO law on reversing a bus, its not illegal and the traffic police would not fine a bus driver for doing so, its just something stubborn drivers say when they get in a predicament as they presume non bus drivers wouldn't know any differance,for starters reversing is part of the psv test d*ckhead.[/p][/quote]God, you are so stupid not to mention persistent. There is a crossing right behind where the bus stopped. Can you imagine what would be said had he backed up and ran someone over. Of course the bus can go backwards and it may well be part of the test but with zero visibilty they are advised not to reverse except in an emergency, and this wasn't. Just some knob in a van who couldn't be bothered to drive round. As for being miserable the drivers probably respond to you being a moaning old git. I have found them friendly and helpful. Oh and there is no need to sign your post![/p][/quote]Zero visibilty, on a bus full of glass all-round ? just shows how exceptional lorry drivers are then even ones with 18 wheels manage it extremely well, you sound a bit silly suppose someone has to though. Robin Reliant
  • Score: -4

5:45am Fri 5 Sep 14

Popsiepop says...

Juvenile behaviour from a pair of idiots! Whoever was right or wrong, clearly these two have mental age of a toddler and should not be loose on our roads.
Juvenile behaviour from a pair of idiots! Whoever was right or wrong, clearly these two have mental age of a toddler and should not be loose on our roads. Popsiepop
  • Score: 0

1:34pm Fri 5 Sep 14

chuckieboy says...

danger2013 wrote:
Im with the asda lorry driver. Its an asda carpark and hes an asda lorry. So therefore if he wants to drive in the asda bus lane he can. Its private land so with the land owners permission he drive where he wants.
How was the bus driver to know that it is an Asda lorry (no signs on the lorry)? Anyway it doesnt matter that it is an Asda lorry. The lane is marked 'bus lane' which means for buses to use only regardless of the lorry being an Asda lorry. What next, auntie Ann or cousin William using the bus lane because they know Charlie who is a supervisor at Asda and he gave them permision? This rule is in place to keep the buses moving!
[quote][p][bold]danger2013[/bold] wrote: Im with the asda lorry driver. Its an asda carpark and hes an asda lorry. So therefore if he wants to drive in the asda bus lane he can. Its private land so with the land owners permission he drive where he wants.[/p][/quote]How was the bus driver to know that it is an Asda lorry (no signs on the lorry)? Anyway it doesnt matter that it is an Asda lorry. The lane is marked 'bus lane' which means for buses to use only regardless of the lorry being an Asda lorry. What next, auntie Ann or cousin William using the bus lane because they know Charlie who is a supervisor at Asda and he gave them permision? This rule is in place to keep the buses moving! chuckieboy
  • Score: 2

7:00pm Fri 5 Sep 14

steve077 says...

Steve H wrote:
I care about rayleigh wrote:
Why should the bus reverse? It was in the bus lane, the lorry was in the wrong place.
From the article,

“Because the land outside the store is owned by Asda they can authorise people to use the bus lane, but Arriva did not know on this occasion. "

What part of that sentence do you not understand?
It doesn't matter what asda say. It's a bus lane. The lorry should not have been there.
[quote][p][bold]Steve H[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]I care about rayleigh[/bold] wrote: Why should the bus reverse? It was in the bus lane, the lorry was in the wrong place.[/p][/quote]From the article, “Because the land outside the store is owned by Asda they can authorise people to use the bus lane, but Arriva did not know on this occasion. " What part of that sentence do you not understand?[/p][/quote]It doesn't matter what asda say. It's a bus lane. The lorry should not have been there. steve077
  • Score: 2

2:36pm Sat 6 Sep 14

The Macduffian says...

As a coach driver in the north east of Scotland l would like to give my views on this, first of all coaches are not allowed to reverse on roads if they have passengers on board, they must have someone directing them, the visibility from a coach is nothing like that of a lorry, the wing mirrors are very small in relation to the visible distance, lorries have many rear facing lenses which give a different view whist reversing , this is why you see warnings stating if you cannot see my mirrors l cannot see you on the back of long vehicles.
Finally their is one very major difference between a bus driver and a coach driver, a bus driver stops at bus stops, whilst a coach driver stops at hotels !!!!
As a coach driver in the north east of Scotland l would like to give my views on this, first of all coaches are not allowed to reverse on roads if they have passengers on board, they must have someone directing them, the visibility from a coach is nothing like that of a lorry, the wing mirrors are very small in relation to the visible distance, lorries have many rear facing lenses which give a different view whist reversing , this is why you see warnings stating if you cannot see my mirrors l cannot see you on the back of long vehicles. Finally their is one very major difference between a bus driver and a coach driver, a bus driver stops at bus stops, whilst a coach driver stops at hotels !!!! The Macduffian
  • Score: 2

4:39pm Sat 6 Sep 14

Steve H says...

steve077 wrote:
Steve H wrote:
I care about rayleigh wrote:
Why should the bus reverse? It was in the bus lane, the lorry was in the wrong place.
From the article,

“Because the land outside the store is owned by Asda they can authorise people to use the bus lane, but Arriva did not know on this occasion. "

What part of that sentence do you not understand?
It doesn't matter what asda say. It's a bus lane. The lorry should not have been there.
Are you thick?

Asda can do what they like with it, it is THEIR land.
[quote][p][bold]steve077[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Steve H[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]I care about rayleigh[/bold] wrote: Why should the bus reverse? It was in the bus lane, the lorry was in the wrong place.[/p][/quote]From the article, “Because the land outside the store is owned by Asda they can authorise people to use the bus lane, but Arriva did not know on this occasion. " What part of that sentence do you not understand?[/p][/quote]It doesn't matter what asda say. It's a bus lane. The lorry should not have been there.[/p][/quote]Are you thick? Asda can do what they like with it, it is THEIR land. Steve H
  • Score: -1

4:43pm Sat 6 Sep 14

Steve H says...

The Macduffian wrote:
As a coach driver in the north east of Scotland l would like to give my views on this, first of all coaches are not allowed to reverse on roads if they have passengers on board, they must have someone directing them, the visibility from a coach is nothing like that of a lorry, the wing mirrors are very small in relation to the visible distance, lorries have many rear facing lenses which give a different view whist reversing , this is why you see warnings stating if you cannot see my mirrors l cannot see you on the back of long vehicles.
Finally their is one very major difference between a bus driver and a coach driver, a bus driver stops at bus stops, whilst a coach driver stops at hotels !!!!
I suggest you pay a visit to Basildon, at the Bus Station there the buses pull in front first into the bays and then reverse out, with passengers on. Coaches stop there too.

Shocking eh?

Before you say roads, the Bus Station has unrestricted public access 24 hours a day (ie. No barriers), therefore in the eyes of the law it is 'the road'.
[quote][p][bold]The Macduffian[/bold] wrote: As a coach driver in the north east of Scotland l would like to give my views on this, first of all coaches are not allowed to reverse on roads if they have passengers on board, they must have someone directing them, the visibility from a coach is nothing like that of a lorry, the wing mirrors are very small in relation to the visible distance, lorries have many rear facing lenses which give a different view whist reversing , this is why you see warnings stating if you cannot see my mirrors l cannot see you on the back of long vehicles. Finally their is one very major difference between a bus driver and a coach driver, a bus driver stops at bus stops, whilst a coach driver stops at hotels !!!![/p][/quote]I suggest you pay a visit to Basildon, at the Bus Station there the buses pull in front first into the bays and then reverse out, with passengers on. Coaches stop there too. Shocking eh? Before you say roads, the Bus Station has unrestricted public access 24 hours a day (ie. No barriers), therefore in the eyes of the law it is 'the road'. Steve H
  • Score: -1

5:35pm Sat 6 Sep 14

The Macduffian says...

Steve H wrote:
The Macduffian wrote:
As a coach driver in the north east of Scotland l would like to give my views on this, first of all coaches are not allowed to reverse on roads if they have passengers on board, they must have someone directing them, the visibility from a coach is nothing like that of a lorry, the wing mirrors are very small in relation to the visible distance, lorries have many rear facing lenses which give a different view whist reversing , this is why you see warnings stating if you cannot see my mirrors l cannot see you on the back of long vehicles.
Finally their is one very major difference between a bus driver and a coach driver, a bus driver stops at bus stops, whilst a coach driver stops at hotels !!!!
I suggest you pay a visit to Basildon, at the Bus Station there the buses pull in front first into the bays and then reverse out, with passengers on. Coaches stop there too.

Shocking eh?

Before you say roads, the Bus Station has unrestricted public access 24 hours a day (ie. No barriers), therefore in the eyes of the law it is 'the road'.
Lets put this one to bed , the area is designated Basildon Bus Station, operated by first group, on behalf of the council, in April 2014, the council increased the charges to 19p per stand use, which lasts 6 minutes, it is therefore a private area, their are no public facilities in the bus station, they are on the concourse which is designated a different area, passengers are only allowed access to the stands by way of gate entrances, and not allowed access to the bus area, under the rules, when buses reverse from the stand they, should beep their horn and observe other vehicles, and obey staff working in the area, l feel if a pedestrian was injured they might be charge with trespass
[quote][p][bold]Steve H[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Macduffian[/bold] wrote: As a coach driver in the north east of Scotland l would like to give my views on this, first of all coaches are not allowed to reverse on roads if they have passengers on board, they must have someone directing them, the visibility from a coach is nothing like that of a lorry, the wing mirrors are very small in relation to the visible distance, lorries have many rear facing lenses which give a different view whist reversing , this is why you see warnings stating if you cannot see my mirrors l cannot see you on the back of long vehicles. Finally their is one very major difference between a bus driver and a coach driver, a bus driver stops at bus stops, whilst a coach driver stops at hotels !!!![/p][/quote]I suggest you pay a visit to Basildon, at the Bus Station there the buses pull in front first into the bays and then reverse out, with passengers on. Coaches stop there too. Shocking eh? Before you say roads, the Bus Station has unrestricted public access 24 hours a day (ie. No barriers), therefore in the eyes of the law it is 'the road'.[/p][/quote]Lets put this one to bed , the area is designated Basildon Bus Station, operated by first group, on behalf of the council, in April 2014, the council increased the charges to 19p per stand use, which lasts 6 minutes, it is therefore a private area, their are no public facilities in the bus station, they are on the concourse which is designated a different area, passengers are only allowed access to the stands by way of gate entrances, and not allowed access to the bus area, under the rules, when buses reverse from the stand they, should beep their horn and observe other vehicles, and obey staff working in the area, l feel if a pedestrian was injured they might be charge with trespass The Macduffian
  • Score: 3

8:21pm Sat 6 Sep 14

pussycats says...

I have a Bus Pass......Does that mean I can drive down a Bus Only Lane?
I have a Bus Pass......Does that mean I can drive down a Bus Only Lane? pussycats
  • Score: 2

1:36pm Mon 8 Sep 14

sesibollox says...

Now listen for I have something to say wrote:
Nose to nose two geniuses sat
As the blood in their veins gathered yet more fat
Sitting all day like a member in the big house
Neither giving way like a light stunned grouse
Bus losing fares, lorry shows no cares
Bus gives up, lorry delivers its wares
.
[quote][p][bold]Now listen for I have something to say[/bold] wrote: Nose to nose two geniuses sat As the blood in their veins gathered yet more fat Sitting all day like a member in the big house Neither giving way like a light stunned grouse Bus losing fares, lorry shows no cares Bus gives up, lorry delivers its wares[/p][/quote]. sesibollox
  • Score: -1

8:00pm Mon 8 Sep 14

ThisYear says...

Sensible Man wrote:
This lorry driver sounds like several pieces short of a full load. Er- Buses Only - now what does that mean?? And how do all the other lorry drivers get in??? Why did this guy not follow them???

Well done to the bus driver for standing your ground against this idiot!!!
But he didn't stand his ground...he reversed! Idiot!
[quote][p][bold]Sensible Man[/bold] wrote: This lorry driver sounds like several pieces short of a full load. Er- Buses Only - now what does that mean?? And how do all the other lorry drivers get in??? Why did this guy not follow them??? Well done to the bus driver for standing your ground against this idiot!!![/p][/quote]But he didn't stand his ground...he reversed! Idiot! ThisYear
  • Score: -1

8:10pm Mon 8 Sep 14

ThisYear says...

Maya Pinnion wrote:
Is this the follow up to Ernie?
No..thats a milk cart.
[quote][p][bold]Maya Pinnion[/bold] wrote: Is this the follow up to Ernie?[/p][/quote]No..thats a milk cart. ThisYear
  • Score: 0

8:12pm Mon 8 Sep 14

ThisYear says...

Steve H wrote:
steve077 wrote:
Steve H wrote:
I care about rayleigh wrote:
Why should the bus reverse? It was in the bus lane, the lorry was in the wrong place.
From the article,

“Because the land outside the store is owned by Asda they can authorise people to use the bus lane, but Arriva did not know on this occasion. "

What part of that sentence do you not understand?
It doesn't matter what asda say. It's a bus lane. The lorry should not have been there.
Are you thick?

Asda can do what they like with it, it is THEIR land.
Now you seem to be getting the gist...Remember DF?
[quote][p][bold]Steve H[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]steve077[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Steve H[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]I care about rayleigh[/bold] wrote: Why should the bus reverse? It was in the bus lane, the lorry was in the wrong place.[/p][/quote]From the article, “Because the land outside the store is owned by Asda they can authorise people to use the bus lane, but Arriva did not know on this occasion. " What part of that sentence do you not understand?[/p][/quote]It doesn't matter what asda say. It's a bus lane. The lorry should not have been there.[/p][/quote]Are you thick? Asda can do what they like with it, it is THEIR land.[/p][/quote]Now you seem to be getting the gist...Remember DF? ThisYear
  • Score: -1

8:38pm Mon 8 Sep 14

ThisYear says...

Steve H wrote:
I live in a private close where I have a sign saying residents parking only. Now often I have visitors, workmen or deliveries and they park in my residents only space.

By the logic on this thread I shouldn't allow that.

It's my private land, that I own, I can do what the hell I like with it.

If Asda wish to give permission to a driver of theirs to drive on their private land than they can.
"it's my private land, that I own, I can do what the hell I like with it."

Au contraire

October 19 2011.
[quote][p][bold]Steve H[/bold] wrote: I live in a private close where I have a sign saying residents parking only. Now often I have visitors, workmen or deliveries and they park in my residents only space. By the logic on this thread I shouldn't allow that. It's my private land, that I own, I can do what the hell I like with it. If Asda wish to give permission to a driver of theirs to drive on their private land than they can.[/p][/quote]"it's my private land, that I own, I can do what the hell I like with it." Au contraire October 19 2011. ThisYear
  • Score: -2

10:05am Tue 9 Sep 14

FireMane says...

The drivers for ASDA are purposely awkward and always moody, they'll often pull up for their delivery and just sit in their cab expecting someone to get them, rather than go to the back of the trailer, where they need to be.
Even if he is allowed to use the lane he could have pulled to the side to let the bus pass without any of this happening.
The drivers for ASDA are purposely awkward and always moody, they'll often pull up for their delivery and just sit in their cab expecting someone to get them, rather than go to the back of the trailer, where they need to be. Even if he is allowed to use the lane he could have pulled to the side to let the bus pass without any of this happening. FireMane
  • Score: -1

9:50pm Wed 1 Oct 14

mainstreammediabs says...

Funny how stuff like this makes the news but when there's a gunman on the rampage at the Masonic Lodge Saxon Hall earlier in the year the whole thing gets covered up!
Funny how stuff like this makes the news but when there's a gunman on the rampage at the Masonic Lodge Saxon Hall earlier in the year the whole thing gets covered up! mainstreammediabs
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree