Basildon Hospital ward evacuated after fire in toilet

First published in News

PART of Basildon Hospital had to be evacuated on Wednesday morning after a small fire broke out in a toilet.

An electrical fault in one of the extractor fans in a toilet which was in the Dermatology ward of the hospital started the fire at about 10am, causing black smoke to pour out into the corridor.

Staff and patients had to be evacuated from the ward while firefighters from Basildon attended the scene.

The crews used a high pressure ventilation fan after putting out the blaze to remove the smoke which had filled the corridor before allowing patients and staff to return to the ward.

Tony Lanni, crew manager of White watch at Basildon, said: “We believe it is was some sort of electrical fault in the fan which had caused the small fire to start.

“There was a lot of smoke outside the toilet, but we managed to put out the fire and get rid of the smoke inside 30 minutes.”

No one was injured during the incident.

Comments (5)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:36pm Wed 22 Feb 12

southendshrimper says...

Great balls of fire playing on the radio.
Great balls of fire playing on the radio. southendshrimper
  • Score: 0

8:48am Thu 23 Feb 12

The Cater Wood Creeper says...

more than probably down to a smoker too lazy to go off site to have a smoke.

There are signs up all over the place at Basildon Hospital informing everyone that smoking is not permitted in the buildings or in the grounds. Strange that desperate addicts were sitting right by these signs gassing themselves to death the other day when I was riding my bike round the site. Maybe I should give them the benefit of the doubt and they all were illiterate and really need to learn to read. All the staff I saw smoking at least had the sense to stand outside (just) the perimeter of the hospital grounds while slowly killing themselves....

Of course, I forgot we live in the times of 'those rules don't apply to me, only to everyone else' as evidenced by this behaviour and the behaviour of a lot of car drivers who will continue to drive while using their bloody phones....
more than probably down to a smoker too lazy to go off site to have a smoke. There are signs up all over the place at Basildon Hospital informing everyone that smoking is not permitted in the buildings or in the grounds. Strange that desperate addicts were sitting right by these signs gassing themselves to death the other day when I was riding my bike round the site. Maybe I should give them the benefit of the doubt and they all were illiterate and really need to learn to read. All the staff I saw smoking at least had the sense to stand outside (just) the perimeter of the hospital grounds while slowly killing themselves.... Of course, I forgot we live in the times of 'those rules don't apply to me, only to everyone else' as evidenced by this behaviour and the behaviour of a lot of car drivers who will continue to drive while using their bloody phones.... The Cater Wood Creeper
  • Score: 0

1:03pm Thu 23 Feb 12

R85 says...

Dang that must stink something rotten! When arsonists burnt the office down at the school I used to go to the corridors stunk of smoke and fire for at least a year!
Dang that must stink something rotten! When arsonists burnt the office down at the school I used to go to the corridors stunk of smoke and fire for at least a year! R85
  • Score: 0

1:17pm Thu 23 Feb 12

The Cater Wood Creeper says...

R85 wrote:
Dang that must stink something rotten! When arsonists burnt the office down at the school I used to go to the corridors stunk of smoke and fire for at least a year!
the slight tang of disinfectant detectable underneath the overwhellming miasma of urine, vomit and faeces'll soon soak that up.......
[quote][p][bold]R85[/bold] wrote: Dang that must stink something rotten! When arsonists burnt the office down at the school I used to go to the corridors stunk of smoke and fire for at least a year![/p][/quote]the slight tang of disinfectant detectable underneath the overwhellming miasma of urine, vomit and faeces'll soon soak that up....... The Cater Wood Creeper
  • Score: 0

1:33pm Thu 23 Feb 12

LdV says...

PERHAPS Wood CREEPER, it is infact you yourself who needs to learn to read.... what has an electrical fault in a fan got to do with smoking and drivers using mobile phones.
Sometimes i have to laugh at the wild assumptions and decisions the brain makes without actually thinking, seeing or knowing. Very curious.
...
PERHAPS Wood CREEPER, it is infact you yourself who needs to learn to read.... what has an electrical fault in a fan got to do with smoking and drivers using mobile phones. Sometimes i have to laugh at the wild assumptions and decisions the brain makes without actually thinking, seeing or knowing. Very curious. ... LdV
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree