Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECHONEWS to 80360, or email us »
Canvey faces its biggest house building explosion since the 1960s
Canvey seems set to undergo its biggest housebuilding programme since the Sixties after more homes were earmarked for approval.
The island is now ripe for development after plans to build 99 homes on a small trading estate off Point Road were earmarked for approval by council officers.
The proposals come just two weeks after outline plans to build 600 homes on Thorney Bay Caravan Park on Canvey were also given the go ahead.
Edward Rubidge, of Point Road, Canvey said: “Canvey will just become a concrete jungle if this goes ahead. I hate the thought that they are trying to cram all these dwellings on a site the size of
a postage stamp. It will be chaos.”
Graham Bracci, 62, of Holland Avenue, Canvey, said: “In theory it is a good place to build because it is previously developed land, but team this with the development at Thorney Bay and it just gets ridiculous.
“We haven’t seen developments like these since the 60s. It does not seem like the council is really looking out for the interests of island residents in the same way they do on the mainland.”
The latest plans, submitted by the Canary Wharf Co, are for 16 homes and 83 flats to be built behind Canvey Supply.
The proposals are a revised version of previous plans to build 106 homes on the site, which were refused by Castle Point councillors who deemed the site too small.
More than 300 letters of objection have been submitted to the council from residents.
However, Castle Point Council officers have recommended the plans for approval, subject to 30 per cent of the homes being affordable housing and the developer making a contribution of over £400,000 to improve community services.
A final decision on the outline plans will be made at a development control meeting at the council offices in Kiln Road, Thundersley, from 7:30pm on Tuesday next week.
Comments are closed on this article.