Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECHONEWS to 80360, or email us »
Cigarette causes fire in Canvey garden
8:32am Thursday 4th October 2012 in News
FIRE crews were called to a fire in a garden on Canvey.
A discarded cigarette is believed to have started the small fire in a pile of rubbish in the garden of a bungalow in Sycamore Close just after midnight on Thursday.
Sub officer Stuart Twigg, from Rayleigh Weir fire station, said: "The owner was alerted by the smell of smoke coming into the property and tried to put it out with a garden hose.
"The owner is having building work done and the smoke detector had been disconnected. This is a reminder that all smoke detectors should be in operating order."
The damage was limited to the exterior with guttering and decking affected.
Crews from Canvey and Rayleigh Weir attended the call.
Comments are closed on this article.