Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECHONEWS to 80360, or email us »
387-name petition opposes plans for KFC in Laindon
A PETITION with 387 signatures have been collected by campaigners fighting plans for a new KFC drive-through restaurant in Laindon.
The campaign has been led by Robert and Carol Taylor, of Bedford Road, went with fellow neighbour Samantha Marsh to the Basildon Council offices in St Martin’s Square to hand in the petition.
Residents are against the plans because it could lead to excess noise, traffic and extra litter in the area.
Developers Laindon Holdings had previously applied for a 24-hour fast food restaurant on the Laindon Hotel site, in High Road, earlier this year.
The plans were refused after a string of objections from residents earlier this year, but the developer is now proposing to limit opening times from 10.30am until midnight in a bid to get permission from Basildon Council.
Samantha Marsh, of Little Oxcroft, Laindon, said: “We are optimistic because we collected all the signatures in just a week- and-half. We hope it will get turned down by the council but if it goes to a meeting we will turn out and have our say.
“We are not opposed to a KFC in Laindon but we think it will be better in the town centre, especially when they are trying to regenerate the centre, it would be much better than this location.
“We feel like it has been a big step forward for us and we will continue to oppose this location for the restaurant.”
Nigel Smith, the leader of the Labour Party, and ward councillor John Scarola, went to the council with the campaigners on Wednesday. John Dornan, Conservative ward councillor for Laindon Park, has also spoken of his opposition to these plans and said the town centre would be a much better location.