Gunman targets jewellers on Canvey

First published in Local News

TERRIFIED shopkeepers were held up at gunpoint as armed robbers struck again on Canvey.

A man made off with a four-figure-sum of gold chains after threatening staff with a firearm at Jewellery Paradise, in Furtherwick Road, Canvey.

He placed the large quantity of jewellery in a plastic England carrier bag before leaving the store shortly after 4:30pm today.

It is the eighth robbery on the island in the past two months, bringing the total this year to 14 incidents.

This is the second incident to take place in the town centre.

Canvey councillor Ray Howard, who met with Police Crime Commissioner Nick Alston to discuss the problem last month, said: “I do know the detectives have been going into businesses and cafes to speak to traders in the area, but it is very sad news to hear this has happened again.

Armed robbery must be a truly terrifying ordeal, especially being threatened with a gun, and I hope whoever did this is brought to justice.

“I sincerely hope the team of detectives will work hard to find those responsible because something must be done to stop this.”

This comes after a specialist crack team of 13 detectives was drafted in especially earlier this month to tackle the recent spate of robberies on the island which has left shop owners and residents living in fear.

The CID team – which is responsible for solving the most serious of crimes – is being led by Det Insp Colin Norton and is permanently based at Canvey police station, in Long Road, full time.

The man is described as white, in his late 20s, of slim build, and was wearing a black hat and white trainers.

Anyone with information in connection with this robbery is urged to contact detectives at Rayleigh police station on 101.

 

 

 

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:47pm Wed 12 Dec 12

bumper says...

thought there was some supper cop with his crack team going stop theses robbery's ?
thought it was a load of crap when i read it .....
thought there was some supper cop with his crack team going stop theses robbery's ? thought it was a load of crap when i read it ..... bumper
  • Score: 0

8:29pm Wed 12 Dec 12

Brunning999 says...

It was the Tory's answers to all of the Essex Police tales of woe!

You can take a 20% + budget reduction because you now have Super Nick the PCC.

What utter cr p boots on the floor, ears to the ground talking to the locals out on beats is without doubt the best answer to Canveys problem, but it costs money!!

Prior to 1840 they tried all the 'nightwtachman,lamp men, Charlie's, watchman' etc it failed miserably so they started a well trained uniformed body of men put them out on the beat and called them 'bobbies' and guess what it worked right up to Blunkets bobbies which was a cheap untrained bunch of losers and a step backwards made worse by the new PCC's that are a complete joke but a dangerous joke because it will not work. END OF!
It was the Tory's answers to all of the Essex Police tales of woe! You can take a 20% + budget reduction because you now have Super Nick the PCC. What utter cr p boots on the floor, ears to the ground talking to the locals out on beats is without doubt the best answer to Canveys problem, but it costs money!! Prior to 1840 they tried all the 'nightwtachman,lamp men, Charlie's, watchman' etc it failed miserably so they started a well trained uniformed body of men put them out on the beat and called them 'bobbies' and guess what it worked right up to Blunkets bobbies which was a cheap untrained bunch of losers and a step backwards made worse by the new PCC's that are a complete joke but a dangerous joke because it will not work. END OF! Brunning999
  • Score: 0

9:38pm Wed 12 Dec 12

GentleGiant says...

This is the price, I guess that we have to pay for Labours screw up of this country! They party have a lot to answer for!

Why do we have to phone Rayleigh Police Station - why can't we phone the Canvey Police Station - or maybe Benfleet?
This is the price, I guess that we have to pay for Labours screw up of this country! They party have a lot to answer for! Why do we have to phone Rayleigh Police Station - why can't we phone the Canvey Police Station - or maybe Benfleet? GentleGiant
  • Score: 0

6:35am Thu 13 Dec 12

loppyears says...

Calm down love. Was only pointing out that there seems to be a criminal trend on Canvey with a lot of people who are looking for a way out. Maybe you should think of moving? Its not a nice area!!
Calm down love. Was only pointing out that there seems to be a criminal trend on Canvey with a lot of people who are looking for a way out. Maybe you should think of moving? Its not a nice area!! loppyears
  • Score: 0

8:20am Thu 13 Dec 12

AndyBSG says...

loppyears wrote:
Calm down love. Was only pointing out that there seems to be a criminal trend on Canvey with a lot of people who are looking for a way out. Maybe you should think of moving? Its not a nice area!!
I would be interested to know where you live that's so much better because, despite the recent spate of armed robberies, Canvey Island has the lowest rates for violent crime in the area compared to Southend, Pitsea, Basildon and Benfleet according to official figures.
[quote][p][bold]loppyears[/bold] wrote: Calm down love. Was only pointing out that there seems to be a criminal trend on Canvey with a lot of people who are looking for a way out. Maybe you should think of moving? Its not a nice area!![/p][/quote]I would be interested to know where you live that's so much better because, despite the recent spate of armed robberies, Canvey Island has the lowest rates for violent crime in the area compared to Southend, Pitsea, Basildon and Benfleet according to official figures. AndyBSG
  • Score: 0

9:15am Thu 13 Dec 12

crunch29 says...

“Armed robbery must be a truly terrifying ordeal, especially being threatened with a gun, and I hope whoever did this is brought to justice."

So that's why the man who went into Bargain Booze with a knife the second time only got a year reduced to six months and ordered to do community service for the six months after.. that is really justice for armed robbery isn't it..
“Armed robbery must be a truly terrifying ordeal, especially being threatened with a gun, and I hope whoever did this is brought to justice." So that's why the man who went into Bargain Booze with a knife the second time only got a year reduced to six months and ordered to do community service for the six months after.. that is really justice for armed robbery isn't it.. crunch29
  • Score: 0

9:16am Thu 13 Dec 12

howironic says...

GentleGiant wrote:
This is the price, I guess that we have to pay for Labours screw up of this country! They party have a lot to answer for! Why do we have to phone Rayleigh Police Station - why can't we phone the Canvey Police Station - or maybe Benfleet?
Do you have some insider information on this then? How can you be so sure they didn't travel onto Canvey?

I suppose that's the trouble with opinions, everybody has one, even the mentally retarded.
[quote][p][bold]GentleGiant[/bold] wrote: This is the price, I guess that we have to pay for Labours screw up of this country! They party have a lot to answer for! Why do we have to phone Rayleigh Police Station - why can't we phone the Canvey Police Station - or maybe Benfleet?[/p][/quote]Do you have some insider information on this then? How can you be so sure they didn't travel onto Canvey? I suppose that's the trouble with opinions, everybody has one, even the mentally retarded. howironic
  • Score: 0

9:24am Thu 13 Dec 12

loppyears says...

AndyBSG wrote:
loppyears wrote:
Calm down love. Was only pointing out that there seems to be a criminal trend on Canvey with a lot of people who are looking for a way out. Maybe you should think of moving? Its not a nice area!!
I would be interested to know where you live that's so much better because, despite the recent spate of armed robberies, Canvey Island has the lowest rates for violent crime in the area compared to Southend, Pitsea, Basildon and Benfleet according to official figures.
I live in Rochford one of the lowest crime rates in the whole country.
I wouldnt live on a sinking island if you paid me.
[quote][p][bold]AndyBSG[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loppyears[/bold] wrote: Calm down love. Was only pointing out that there seems to be a criminal trend on Canvey with a lot of people who are looking for a way out. Maybe you should think of moving? Its not a nice area!![/p][/quote]I would be interested to know where you live that's so much better because, despite the recent spate of armed robberies, Canvey Island has the lowest rates for violent crime in the area compared to Southend, Pitsea, Basildon and Benfleet according to official figures.[/p][/quote]I live in Rochford one of the lowest crime rates in the whole country. I wouldnt live on a sinking island if you paid me. loppyears
  • Score: 0

12:46pm Thu 13 Dec 12

iknowbetter says...

GentleGiant wrote:
This is the price, I guess that we have to pay for Labours screw up of this country! They party have a lot to answer for!

Why do we have to phone Rayleigh Police Station - why can't we phone the Canvey Police Station - or maybe Benfleet?
How much longer are we going to have to listen to the Tories and there supporters spouting blame on previous Governments? The Tories have been in power for a number of years now and things are not getting any better in fact things are getting worse.
Cameron yesterday was telling us how he must reduce the cost of banging someone up, it currently costs 45,000 a year, but then goes on to tell us about the "rehabilitation revolution" how we should be looking to rehabilitate with education for criminals while they are serving time. If you or I wanted a degree we would face huge costs and a lifetime of debt with paying back student loans, seems you can get banged up and get it all for free.
What happened to old fashion punishment, If you want to lower the costs Cameron how about taking away their TV's, xboxe's and comforts, instead put these scroates to work in the community, Chain gangs. That will stop them getting bored. Those criminals that have money should be expected to pay for their time in prison just like a student has to when they go to University. If they have a house then sell it to pay for their crimes, if they have a car then sell it to pay for their crimes. Personal items such as xboxes, TV's all should be sold to pay for their crimes. Stop **** footing around those that made the decision to break the law and start looking after those that try to make an honest living in life.
[quote][p][bold]GentleGiant[/bold] wrote: This is the price, I guess that we have to pay for Labours screw up of this country! They party have a lot to answer for! Why do we have to phone Rayleigh Police Station - why can't we phone the Canvey Police Station - or maybe Benfleet?[/p][/quote]How much longer are we going to have to listen to the Tories and there supporters spouting blame on previous Governments? The Tories have been in power for a number of years now and things are not getting any better in fact things are getting worse. Cameron yesterday was telling us how he must reduce the cost of banging someone up, it currently costs 45,000 a year, but then goes on to tell us about the "rehabilitation revolution" how we should be looking to rehabilitate with education for criminals while they are serving time. If you or I wanted a degree we would face huge costs and a lifetime of debt with paying back student loans, seems you can get banged up and get it all for free. What happened to old fashion punishment, If you want to lower the costs Cameron how about taking away their TV's, xboxe's and comforts, instead put these scroates to work in the community, Chain gangs. That will stop them getting bored. Those criminals that have money should be expected to pay for their time in prison just like a student has to when they go to University. If they have a house then sell it to pay for their crimes, if they have a car then sell it to pay for their crimes. Personal items such as xboxes, TV's all should be sold to pay for their crimes. Stop **** footing around those that made the decision to break the law and start looking after those that try to make an honest living in life. iknowbetter
  • Score: 0

4:16pm Thu 13 Dec 12

GentleGiant says...

....Because under Labour many of our decisions were given away to Europe.

Only someone with their head in the sand would think that Labour did any good for this country.

BTW - they spent their entire time in power blaming the previous government!
....Because under Labour many of our decisions were given away to Europe. Only someone with their head in the sand would think that Labour did any good for this country. BTW - they spent their entire time in power blaming the previous government! GentleGiant
  • Score: 0

4:29pm Thu 13 Dec 12

John T Pharro says...

GentleGiant wrote:
....Because under Labour many of our decisions were given away to Europe.

Only someone with their head in the sand would think that Labour did any good for this country.

BTW - they spent their entire time in power blaming the previous government!
Isn't it always the way, the blame game? Every elected Government blames the one before for all the problems. Now you say it is the EU to blame. Fact is the EU does not dictate how many police we have do they? So are you saying that it the previous Government's fault for the crime escalating on Canvey? How so, when the level of crime has only increased on Canvey since this Government came to power?
I personally don't care who is in power just stop blaming each other and get it sorted. In the 40 years plus I have lived on Canvey we never had anything like this level of crime yet alone armed robberies, not until a dew years ago.
Now why do you think that is?
[quote][p][bold]GentleGiant[/bold] wrote: ....Because under Labour many of our decisions were given away to Europe. Only someone with their head in the sand would think that Labour did any good for this country. BTW - they spent their entire time in power blaming the previous government![/p][/quote]Isn't it always the way, the blame game? Every elected Government blames the one before for all the problems. Now you say it is the EU to blame. Fact is the EU does not dictate how many police we have do they? So are you saying that it the previous Government's fault for the crime escalating on Canvey? How so, when the level of crime has only increased on Canvey since this Government came to power? I personally don't care who is in power just stop blaming each other and get it sorted. In the 40 years plus I have lived on Canvey we never had anything like this level of crime yet alone armed robberies, not until a dew years ago. Now why do you think that is? John T Pharro
  • Score: 0

4:32pm Thu 13 Dec 12

John T Pharro says...

John T Pharro wrote:
GentleGiant wrote:
....Because under Labour many of our decisions were given away to Europe.

Only someone with their head in the sand would think that Labour did any good for this country.

BTW - they spent their entire time in power blaming the previous government!
Isn't it always the way, the blame game? Every elected Government blames the one before for all the problems. Now you say it is the EU to blame. Fact is the EU does not dictate how many police we have do they? So are you saying that it the previous Government's fault for the crime escalating on Canvey? How so, when the level of crime has only increased on Canvey since this Government came to power?
I personally don't care who is in power just stop blaming each other and get it sorted. In the 40 years plus I have lived on Canvey we never had anything like this level of crime yet alone armed robberies, not until a dew years ago.
Now why do you think that is?
Sorry should read "few" not "dew".
[quote][p][bold]John T Pharro[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GentleGiant[/bold] wrote: ....Because under Labour many of our decisions were given away to Europe. Only someone with their head in the sand would think that Labour did any good for this country. BTW - they spent their entire time in power blaming the previous government![/p][/quote]Isn't it always the way, the blame game? Every elected Government blames the one before for all the problems. Now you say it is the EU to blame. Fact is the EU does not dictate how many police we have do they? So are you saying that it the previous Government's fault for the crime escalating on Canvey? How so, when the level of crime has only increased on Canvey since this Government came to power? I personally don't care who is in power just stop blaming each other and get it sorted. In the 40 years plus I have lived on Canvey we never had anything like this level of crime yet alone armed robberies, not until a dew years ago. Now why do you think that is?[/p][/quote]Sorry should read "few" not "dew". John T Pharro
  • Score: 0

5:00pm Thu 13 Dec 12

Brunning999 says...

Cut the politics cr p the reality is simple Law and Order has been failing recently and without doubt has not improved by the so called party of law and order.

This Government hate the Police which is obvious if you listen to that stuck up cow Teressa May.

You idiots out there must look a the political games they play all of them it is obvious that if this government bring law and order to its knees. Then rabbit on about 'we are the only party that can help'.

They are all playing dangerous little pathetic games.
Cut the politics cr p the reality is simple Law and Order has been failing recently and without doubt has not improved by the so called party of law and order. This Government hate the Police which is obvious if you listen to that stuck up cow Teressa May. You idiots out there must look a the political games they play all of them it is obvious that if this government bring law and order to its knees. Then rabbit on about 'we are the only party that can help'. They are all playing dangerous little pathetic games. Brunning999
  • Score: 0

5:00pm Thu 13 Dec 12

Brunning999 says...

Cut the politics cr p the reality is simple Law and Order has been failing recently and without doubt has not improved by the so called party of law and order.

This Government hate the Police which is obvious if you listen to that stuck up cow Teressa May.

You idiots out there must look a the political games they play all of them it is obvious that if this government bring law and order to its knees. Then rabbit on about 'we are the only party that can help'.

They are all playing dangerous little pathetic games.
Cut the politics cr p the reality is simple Law and Order has been failing recently and without doubt has not improved by the so called party of law and order. This Government hate the Police which is obvious if you listen to that stuck up cow Teressa May. You idiots out there must look a the political games they play all of them it is obvious that if this government bring law and order to its knees. Then rabbit on about 'we are the only party that can help'. They are all playing dangerous little pathetic games. Brunning999
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree