Taste of America at new Basildon diner

Echo: Taste of America at new Basildon diner Taste of America at new Basildon diner

IF you have ever fancied a peanut butter or meat ball burger then there is a new place in town where you can grab one!

Businessman Paul Croucher, 59, from Rawreth, has spent three months revamping the former Cafe Manhattan on the A127 and renamed the venue The Roadhouse Diner and brought in new American themed menu.

The eaterie, on the corner of Hovefields Avenue, which has been popular with bikers for years has now seen lots more families coming through the door which has pleased the new owners.

Paul is running the venture with his partner Sandi Cooper and they used to be customers at the venue years before they decided to enter the restaurant business themselves.

He said: “We have spent about £10,000 revamping the interior of the restaurant and I am really pleased to say things are going really well.
 

“We have put in a new milkshake bar which has proved very popular with the children and someone even commented on the internet that they were the best milkshakes this side of the Atlantic!

“The new menu has been a real hit and the whole American theme is working out great, we now have over 30 burgers on the menu and customers are loving it.

“We have got some quirky dishes including peanut butter burgers which are lovely and a meat ball burger, they are all 8oz and so will be a bit of a challenge for anyone.”

The venue came with a bit of a reputation because a former owner when it was called Porkies was jailed for drugs offences a few years ago.

Paul explained although it did put him off a bit it wasn’t enough to stop him wanting to invest in the venue.

He said: “It did have a bit of a bad reputation and is known in the area but we have not had any trouble and are having a great time running the business. It didn’t faze me opening the in recession and we are going from strength to strength.”

Paul is now organising a Man v Food challenge to boost the eaterie’s profile and show off some of the new dishes on the menu.

The challenge is taking place on Saturday, January 26 and Sunday, January 27 and challenge meals are £30 and if the contestant can eat all the food they will get it for free and their name will be put up on the wall.

Each person taking part in the challenge will be given 45 minutes to conquer one of three dishes- the Brooklyn Bridge Burger Challenge, the Rocky Mountain Ribs Challenge or the Manhattan Meatball Challenge.

If you would like to book to reserve your place call the restaurant on 01268 728 809.

Comments (28)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:04am Thu 3 Jan 13

Carnabackable says...

Looks healthy, hope there's a Defibrillator on site........
Looks healthy, hope there's a Defibrillator on site........ Carnabackable

9:44am Thu 3 Jan 13

waveydavey says...

Huge American style burgers will be a big hit in Basildon.
Huge American style burgers will be a big hit in Basildon. waveydavey

10:40am Thu 3 Jan 13

J_blond says...

Bloody hell my 7 year old daughter writes better than this! And, and, and, and... ever heard of a comma or full stop?

So how many new owners has this 'diner' now had? From being the 127 Diner, to Porkies, was it called the Manhatten? Don't remember that but if so that makes it four, since Little Chef closed down!

The problem is - as Steve H puts it, (although without the libel) the place is a transport cafe, or biker cafe. When it was the 127 Diner it was advertised a place to meet for bikers, and needs to shake off that image. Being by the side of a major road, it's more a place you need to visit, rather than want to. That's the problem they need to overturn. Still, I hope the place now takes card payments!
Bloody hell my 7 year old daughter writes better than this! And, and, and, and... ever heard of a comma or full stop? So how many new owners has this 'diner' now had? From being the 127 Diner, to Porkies, was it called the Manhatten? Don't remember that but if so that makes it four, since Little Chef closed down! The problem is - as Steve H puts it, (although without the libel) the place is a transport cafe, or biker cafe. When it was the 127 Diner it was advertised a place to meet for bikers, and needs to shake off that image. Being by the side of a major road, it's more a place you need to visit, rather than want to. That's the problem they need to overturn. Still, I hope the place now takes card payments! J_blond

10:41am Thu 3 Jan 13

Russ13 says...

Carnabackable wrote:
Russ13 wrote:
Steve H wrote: This place is an utter sh!thole, a glorified transport cafe, only good for hairy arsed lorry drivers or biker meets.
Would you like to qualify you libelous comments with some facts about the last time you visited it, when this was and exactly what was wrong with it?
Apart from being correct, what part of hole don't you understand
A fewof years back I visited it a couple of times......

I found it to be clean, the staff were great and the food was lovely.

There was a large group of us (15-20 people) and we all had the same experience there.

So either one of two things has happened..... The place has gone rapidly downhill since or Steve H is talking out of his "hole"

Either way, someone is trying to make a going concern of the place in a tough economic climate, unless the accusations of it being a "hole" can be substantiated then it's a little unfair.
[quote][p][bold]Carnabackable[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Russ13[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Steve H[/bold] wrote: This place is an utter sh!thole, a glorified transport cafe, only good for hairy arsed lorry drivers or biker meets.[/p][/quote]Would you like to qualify you libelous comments with some facts about the last time you visited it, when this was and exactly what was wrong with it?[/p][/quote]Apart from being correct, what part of hole don't you understand[/p][/quote]A fewof years back I visited it a couple of times...... I found it to be clean, the staff were great and the food was lovely. There was a large group of us (15-20 people) and we all had the same experience there. So either one of two things has happened..... The place has gone rapidly downhill since or Steve H is talking out of his "hole" Either way, someone is trying to make a going concern of the place in a tough economic climate, unless the accusations of it being a "hole" can be substantiated then it's a little unfair. Russ13

10:47am Thu 3 Jan 13

Eric Whim says...

J_blond wrote:
Bloody hell my 7 year old daughter writes better than this! And, and, and, and... ever heard of a comma or full stop?

So how many new owners has this 'diner' now had? From being the 127 Diner, to Porkies, was it called the Manhatten? Don't remember that but if so that makes it four, since Little Chef closed down!

The problem is - as Steve H puts it, (although without the libel) the place is a transport cafe, or biker cafe. When it was the 127 Diner it was advertised a place to meet for bikers, and needs to shake off that image. Being by the side of a major road, it's more a place you need to visit, rather than want to. That's the problem they need to overturn. Still, I hope the place now takes card payments!
It also fairly recently known as the 8 Ball Diner
[quote][p][bold]J_blond[/bold] wrote: Bloody hell my 7 year old daughter writes better than this! And, and, and, and... ever heard of a comma or full stop? So how many new owners has this 'diner' now had? From being the 127 Diner, to Porkies, was it called the Manhatten? Don't remember that but if so that makes it four, since Little Chef closed down! The problem is - as Steve H puts it, (although without the libel) the place is a transport cafe, or biker cafe. When it was the 127 Diner it was advertised a place to meet for bikers, and needs to shake off that image. Being by the side of a major road, it's more a place you need to visit, rather than want to. That's the problem they need to overturn. Still, I hope the place now takes card payments![/p][/quote]It also fairly recently known as the 8 Ball Diner Eric Whim

10:54am Thu 3 Jan 13

Max 269 says...

8 Ball Diner was on the A12 this has closed.
8 Ball Diner was on the A12 this has closed. Max 269

10:58am Thu 3 Jan 13

Carnabackable says...

Eric Whim wrote:
J_blond wrote:
Bloody hell my 7 year old daughter writes better than this! And, and, and, and... ever heard of a comma or full stop?

So how many new owners has this 'diner' now had? From being the 127 Diner, to Porkies, was it called the Manhatten? Don't remember that but if so that makes it four, since Little Chef closed down!

The problem is - as Steve H puts it, (although without the libel) the place is a transport cafe, or biker cafe. When it was the 127 Diner it was advertised a place to meet for bikers, and needs to shake off that image. Being by the side of a major road, it's more a place you need to visit, rather than want to. That's the problem they need to overturn. Still, I hope the place now takes card payments!
It also fairly recently known as the 8 Ball Diner
That wasn't even on this road......
[quote][p][bold]Eric Whim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]J_blond[/bold] wrote: Bloody hell my 7 year old daughter writes better than this! And, and, and, and... ever heard of a comma or full stop? So how many new owners has this 'diner' now had? From being the 127 Diner, to Porkies, was it called the Manhatten? Don't remember that but if so that makes it four, since Little Chef closed down! The problem is - as Steve H puts it, (although without the libel) the place is a transport cafe, or biker cafe. When it was the 127 Diner it was advertised a place to meet for bikers, and needs to shake off that image. Being by the side of a major road, it's more a place you need to visit, rather than want to. That's the problem they need to overturn. Still, I hope the place now takes card payments![/p][/quote]It also fairly recently known as the 8 Ball Diner[/p][/quote]That wasn't even on this road...... Carnabackable

11:01am Thu 3 Jan 13

Carnabackable says...

Cor look at the pic, un-melted cheese, dry salad dodgy looking meat dry rolls and frozen chips, eat two of these and your name goes on the wall....
Cor look at the pic, un-melted cheese, dry salad dodgy looking meat dry rolls and frozen chips, eat two of these and your name goes on the wall.... Carnabackable

11:06am Thu 3 Jan 13

Eric Whim says...

Max 269 wrote:
8 Ball Diner was on the A12 this has closed.
that one closed too then did it?

Reading reports about the one that used to be on the A127 on several car enthusiast message boards it seems the one on the A127 wasn't particularly popular thanks to both the small car park capacity and the quality of the nosh
[quote][p][bold]Max 269[/bold] wrote: 8 Ball Diner was on the A12 this has closed.[/p][/quote]that one closed too then did it? Reading reports about the one that used to be on the A127 on several car enthusiast message boards it seems the one on the A127 wasn't particularly popular thanks to both the small car park capacity and the quality of the nosh Eric Whim

1:02pm Thu 3 Jan 13

JessyJar says...

waveydavey wrote:
Huge American style burgers will be a big hit in Basildon.
it'll make the already sexy slim locals look even better..... oh wait.
[quote][p][bold]waveydavey[/bold] wrote: Huge American style burgers will be a big hit in Basildon.[/p][/quote]it'll make the already sexy slim locals look even better..... oh wait. JessyJar

1:26pm Thu 3 Jan 13

Max 269 says...

The chap that ran the A127 diner not Porkys got busted for drugs.
Good luck to the new chap. Is the tank in the carpark to keep the bikers out
The chap that ran the A127 diner not Porkys got busted for drugs. Good luck to the new chap. Is the tank in the carpark to keep the bikers out Max 269

4:06pm Thu 3 Jan 13

Exiledwasp says...

I live in NY and it doesn't look like any mean I've ever seen..wish the chap well though.
I live in NY and it doesn't look like any mean I've ever seen..wish the chap well though. Exiledwasp

5:46pm Thu 3 Jan 13

Alan Jacobs says...

Looks like a cast extra from a Bruce Lee film................
.......
Looks like a cast extra from a Bruce Lee film................ ....... Alan Jacobs

6:49pm Thu 3 Jan 13

LibbyJ says...

Why is this news? I've heard (from the Echo) that the Echo don't give free editorial to promote businesses. Did they swap some advertising for a mega-meal?
Why is this news? I've heard (from the Echo) that the Echo don't give free editorial to promote businesses. Did they swap some advertising for a mega-meal? LibbyJ

7:59pm Thu 3 Jan 13

Steve H says...

Apologies if I have offended anybody :)

I don't see how this can be a family restaurant though, I am well aware of it's past and it's location, it would be just like going to a Motorway service station for a family meal!

I wish the new owners well, good luck to them.
Apologies if I have offended anybody :) I don't see how this can be a family restaurant though, I am well aware of it's past and it's location, it would be just like going to a Motorway service station for a family meal! I wish the new owners well, good luck to them. Steve H

10:07am Fri 4 Jan 13

Rich"Carol says...

As you all know one of my daughters lives in Main and the other in California and we have been to many US states and Ive never seen food like this. What one of the 50 states serves this food ?
As you all know one of my daughters lives in Main and the other in California and we have been to many US states and Ive never seen food like this. What one of the 50 states serves this food ? Rich"Carol

10:08am Fri 4 Jan 13

Rich"Carol says...

Rich"Carol wrote:
As you all know one of my daughters lives in Main and the other in California and we have been to many US states and Ive never seen food like this. What one of the 50 states serves this food ?
Sorry Maine is spelt like this, apologies
[quote][p][bold]Rich"Carol[/bold] wrote: As you all know one of my daughters lives in Main and the other in California and we have been to many US states and Ive never seen food like this. What one of the 50 states serves this food ?[/p][/quote]Sorry Maine is spelt like this, apologies Rich"Carol

1:47pm Fri 4 Jan 13

Jose El Mezclador says...

Look at that monstrosity ( no I dont mean the 59 year old business man)

No wonder half the population are going around on wheels
Look at that monstrosity ( no I dont mean the 59 year old business man) No wonder half the population are going around on wheels Jose El Mezclador

2:13pm Fri 4 Jan 13

hesmrknowitall says...

What a miserable bunch of arseholes you lot are. What would you prefer, another empty eyesore on the side of the road, ready for someone to flytip in the car park?

If its not your cup of tea, then don't go there, simple.

In this climate I take my hat off to anyone who's willing to put their money where their mouth is, good luck to the chap and perhaps those making comment on the state of the place/food should at least sample it themselves before critising behind the wall of their computer screen.

I wish the guy luck
What a miserable bunch of arseholes you lot are. What would you prefer, another empty eyesore on the side of the road, ready for someone to flytip in the car park? If its not your cup of tea, then don't go there, simple. In this climate I take my hat off to anyone who's willing to put their money where their mouth is, good luck to the chap and perhaps those making comment on the state of the place/food should at least sample it themselves before critising behind the wall of their computer screen. I wish the guy luck hesmrknowitall

5:06pm Fri 4 Jan 13

Letmetryagain says...

Carnabackable wrote:
Looks healthy, hope there's a Defibrillator on site........
You can say that again. That looks like an obesity special !!
[quote][p][bold]Carnabackable[/bold] wrote: Looks healthy, hope there's a Defibrillator on site........[/p][/quote]You can say that again. That looks like an obesity special !! Letmetryagain

5:11pm Fri 4 Jan 13

Letmetryagain says...

So, does every family meal consist of chips and burgers ?.
Don't they do proper food ?
So, does every family meal consist of chips and burgers ?. Don't they do proper food ? Letmetryagain

7:55pm Fri 4 Jan 13

DogsMessInLeigh says...

This place should be sited in Southend i would go in regular...but not too keen at its present site.
This place should be sited in Southend i would go in regular...but not too keen at its present site. DogsMessInLeigh

7:57pm Fri 4 Jan 13

DogsMessInLeigh says...

Rich"Carol wrote:
As you all know one of my daughters lives in Main and the other in California and we have been to many US states and Ive never seen food like this. What one of the 50 states serves this food ?
You never seen fries and burgers in the US..??,watch diners drive'ins and dives..or man V food
[quote][p][bold]Rich"Carol[/bold] wrote: As you all know one of my daughters lives in Main and the other in California and we have been to many US states and Ive never seen food like this. What one of the 50 states serves this food ?[/p][/quote]You never seen fries and burgers in the US..??,watch diners drive'ins and dives..or man V food DogsMessInLeigh

11:50pm Fri 4 Jan 13

Carnabackable says...

hesmrknowitall wrote:
What a miserable bunch of arseholes you lot are. What would you prefer, another empty eyesore on the side of the road, ready for someone to flytip in the car park?

If its not your cup of tea, then don't go there, simple.

In this climate I take my hat off to anyone who's willing to put their money where their mouth is, good luck to the chap and perhaps those making comment on the state of the place/food should at least sample it themselves before critising behind the wall of their computer screen.

I wish the guy luck
He's gonna need more than just luck.
[quote][p][bold]hesmrknowitall[/bold] wrote: What a miserable bunch of arseholes you lot are. What would you prefer, another empty eyesore on the side of the road, ready for someone to flytip in the car park? If its not your cup of tea, then don't go there, simple. In this climate I take my hat off to anyone who's willing to put their money where their mouth is, good luck to the chap and perhaps those making comment on the state of the place/food should at least sample it themselves before critising behind the wall of their computer screen. I wish the guy luck[/p][/quote]He's gonna need more than just luck. Carnabackable

12:04pm Mon 7 Jan 13

hesmrknowitall says...

Carnabackable wrote:
hesmrknowitall wrote:
What a miserable bunch of arseholes you lot are. What would you prefer, another empty eyesore on the side of the road, ready for someone to flytip in the car park?

If its not your cup of tea, then don't go there, simple.

In this climate I take my hat off to anyone who's willing to put their money where their mouth is, good luck to the chap and perhaps those making comment on the state of the place/food should at least sample it themselves before critising behind the wall of their computer screen.

I wish the guy luck
He's gonna need more than just luck.
Especially with slanderous, spiteful shytes like yourself ;)
[quote][p][bold]Carnabackable[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hesmrknowitall[/bold] wrote: What a miserable bunch of arseholes you lot are. What would you prefer, another empty eyesore on the side of the road, ready for someone to flytip in the car park? If its not your cup of tea, then don't go there, simple. In this climate I take my hat off to anyone who's willing to put their money where their mouth is, good luck to the chap and perhaps those making comment on the state of the place/food should at least sample it themselves before critising behind the wall of their computer screen. I wish the guy luck[/p][/quote]He's gonna need more than just luck.[/p][/quote]Especially with slanderous, spiteful shytes like yourself ;) hesmrknowitall

11:42pm Mon 7 Jan 13

Carnabackable says...

Look at the state of those lurgers, raw! food standards agency job due, we all have a duty to warn....
Look at the state of those lurgers, raw! food standards agency job due, we all have a duty to warn.... Carnabackable

11:46pm Mon 7 Jan 13

Carnabackable says...

hesmrknowitall wrote:
Carnabackable wrote:
hesmrknowitall wrote:
What a miserable bunch of arseholes you lot are. What would you prefer, another empty eyesore on the side of the road, ready for someone to flytip in the car park?

If its not your cup of tea, then don't go there, simple.

In this climate I take my hat off to anyone who's willing to put their money where their mouth is, good luck to the chap and perhaps those making comment on the state of the place/food should at least sample it themselves before critising behind the wall of their computer screen.

I wish the guy luck
He's gonna need more than just luck.
Especially with slanderous, spiteful shytes like yourself ;)
Hope you got shares in this, as your gonna regret your investment, that food shown isn't fit for human consumption, your defence seems as if your the owner...
[quote][p][bold]hesmrknowitall[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Carnabackable[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hesmrknowitall[/bold] wrote: What a miserable bunch of arseholes you lot are. What would you prefer, another empty eyesore on the side of the road, ready for someone to flytip in the car park? If its not your cup of tea, then don't go there, simple. In this climate I take my hat off to anyone who's willing to put their money where their mouth is, good luck to the chap and perhaps those making comment on the state of the place/food should at least sample it themselves before critising behind the wall of their computer screen. I wish the guy luck[/p][/quote]He's gonna need more than just luck.[/p][/quote]Especially with slanderous, spiteful shytes like yourself ;)[/p][/quote]Hope you got shares in this, as your gonna regret your investment, that food shown isn't fit for human consumption, your defence seems as if your the owner... Carnabackable

11:08am Tue 8 Jan 13

hesmrknowitall says...

I'm not the owner, nor have I ever been there (well not since it was a Little Thief back in the 80's).

I just find it funny that you feel the need to comment on food simply by looking at a picture! For gawds sake the guy is in the car par having a picture taken so its hardly going to be fresh on the plate.

My point was to merely back someone who is trying to make an honest living, whereas the majority on here seem hell bent on just making negative comments just for the sake of it.

Why not go there and sample the food and do a proper review for the benefit of the community, as you seem to eager to give your view on everything
I'm not the owner, nor have I ever been there (well not since it was a Little Thief back in the 80's). I just find it funny that you feel the need to comment on food simply by looking at a picture! For gawds sake the guy is in the car par having a picture taken so its hardly going to be fresh on the plate. My point was to merely back someone who is trying to make an honest living, whereas the majority on here seem hell bent on just making negative comments just for the sake of it. Why not go there and sample the food and do a proper review for the benefit of the community, as you seem to eager to give your view on everything hesmrknowitall

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree