Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECHONEWS to 80360, or email us »
Carbon monoxide detector saves the life of elderly Thundersley man
FIREFIGHTERS have stressed the importance of carbon monoxide detectors after an alarm saved the life of an elderly man.
Norman Pearce, 93, was sitting by the gas fire in the living room of his home in Thundersley, when the detector started sounding.
Two fire crews from Rayleigh Weir were immediately altered shortly before 7pm on Monday.
They carried out emergency first aid on Mr Pearce whilst they waited for paramedics to arrive.
Fortunately he had not been exposed to the carbon monoxide for a long period meaning that it had not yet entered his blood.
Sub-officer Tony Vickress said: “Luckily the man was fine, but It could easily have been a very different story if it wasn’t for the detector.
“Carbon monoxide really is a killer. Because it’s a colourless and odourless gas people have no way of knowing that they are living with it.
“This incident really emphasises the point that if anyone has an open fire, a gas fire or a log burner they should get a carbon monoxide detector. You can either get battery operated ones or mains connected alarms. They cost very little, take no time to install and can save lives.”