Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECHONEWS to 80360, or email us »
Couple escaped house blaze with baby
4:30pm Wednesday 6th March 2013 in Local News
A COUPLE and their young baby escaped a ferocious house fire which has left them homeless.
The bedroom window of the converted bungalow in Louis Drive, Rayleigh was blown out and flames leapt out as firefighters rushed to the scene.
The fire began in a faulty television set in the room.
The mother of the eight month old baby was watching television upstairs when the screen kept flickering, she switched it off and on several times before going to tell her partner.
When they returned upstairs it had caught alight and quickly got out of control. Fortunately the young baby was safely downstairs.
They dialled 999 and ran out with their child, the woman still in her pyjamas.
Crews from Rayleigh Weir fire station attended at 8.30pm on Sunday.
Sub officer Tony Vickress said: “"When we arrived the window had blown out. It was a rapid fire because of the plastic around the TV.
"There were flames coming out of the window and thick acrid black smoke.
"I immediately sent two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus in with a hose and a further two. With a jet through the window the fire was quickly extinguished.
"It was punishing. It was extremely hot up in the bedroom. The crew did a brilliant job bringing the fire quickly under control. They saved the property as there was no structural damage.
"The bedroom was gutted and all their belongings. The rest of the house was smoke logged and we had to use ventilators to clear the smoke."
The couple in their 30s, named by neighbours as Leanne and Darryl, and their tot were taken in by neighbour Betty Taylor.
Paramedics assessed the couple and baby for smoke inhalation but they did not need hospital treatment. The Red Cross were also called to assist the family with clothes and blankets.
It is understood they have found alternative accommodation while their home is repaired.