Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECHONEWS to 80360, or email us »
Death certificate delay for grieving family
6:00am Monday 30th September 2013 in Local News
THE father of a girl who died in Indonesia after drinking poisoned gin is still waiting for his daughter’s death certificate to be issued.
Brenton Emmons, 47, from Southend, has been unable to get a certificate in the UK for Cheznye, 23, because she died abroad and may even have to go back to Indonesia to get the document.
Frustration – Brenton Emmons, left, with Boo Beckett and Cheznye’s sister Measha
Cheznye died in April after drinking from a bottle labelled Mansion House gin, which was contaminated with methanol, a clear chemical impossible to detect when mixed with alcoholic drinks.
He needs a death certificate to allow the formal investigation into her death to be treated by Indonesian police as a criminal one.
Mr Emmons explained: “We need the death certificate to give to the police out there. We’ve got all the evidence over here from the coroner, proving that.
“Having to go all through this means you just keep going over what’s happened in your head reliving it. It takes so much of out you.
“It’s a really awkward over there. They don’t really log details of this nature, so it’s quite hard to get information.
“Cheznye died in hospital, so there are records, but every time we we try to do anything, we find something in the way. It’s annoying and frustrating.”
Cheznye was on the trip of a lifetime with boyfriend Joe Cook, 21, when tragedy struck.
As little as 30mls of methonol can be deadly for an adult, as it can cause kidney failure, blindness, seizures and other complications.
Mr Emmons and his friend Boo Beckett, 42, from Leigh, have been campaigning for clearer and more prominent official safety advice about the dangers of methanol poisoning to be given to people travelling to Indonesia and other countries.
David Amess, MP for Southend West, has raised the issue in Parliament, asking Foreign Secretary William Hague what steps he was taking to warn Britons of the dangers.
Mr Emmons and Mr Beckett want a more accurate warning posted prominently on the Foreign Office website for travellers.
Mr Beckett said: “The website suggests travellers seek local advice about reputable drinks, bars and shops, but so many local people are dying from it there. They’re the wrong people to ask.”
They have launched the Chez Save a Life Campaign online to raise awareness of the issue, with the aim of preventing others suffering a similar fate.
Comments are closed on this article.