Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECHONEWS to 80360, or email us »
Woman rescued unconscious from fire
8:59am Friday 18th October 2013 in Local News
A WOMAN was rescued by firefighters from a blaze in a house in Westcliff.
Crews from Leigh and Southend were called to the home in Hainault Avenue just after midnight.
A 35 year old woman was believed to be inside and firefighters in breathing apparatus found her unconscious in the bedroom.
They brought her to safety and she was given oxygen to revive her before being taken to Southend Hospital by paramedics.
Her dog was also rescued.
It is understood the fire in the bedroom was started by a discarded cigarette.
Sub officer at Leigh Karl Smith said: "There was no working smoke alarm in the property. This highlights the importance of having a few extra seconds notice to get out from a fire.
"This had a happy outcome as the woman is ok but it could have been worse."
Comments are closed on this article.