Louts destroy Southend car mirrors in rampage

Anna Wallace, had her wing mirror broken by vandals

Anna Wallace, had her wing mirror broken by vandals

First published in Local News by

LOUTS kicked off wing mirrors from a number of cars in a late night spate of vandalism.

Anna Wallace is one of at least seven owners who discovered their wing mirrors destroyed after being parked overnight on Cambridge Road and Scratton Road, Southend.

She must now shell out £100 to replace her Nissan Micra mirror.

Miss Wallace, 32, from Rayleigh, had been visiting her boyfriend in Marine Avenue and when she returned to her car she couldn’t believe what she saw.

The sales advisor said: “It’s not as if they had just knocked it.

“It’s been completely ripped apart.

There’s no glass in it and it is hanging on by a wire.

“I didn’t notice the others in the street because I had to rush to work, but then my boyfriend Boo said he had seen others targeted.

“It seems like someone who was drunk or had a row came down the street and took it out on the cars, which is really annoying.

“It’s ridiculous you can’t even leave your car on the street and expect to come back to it in one piece.”

Police are investigating. But Miss Wallace said she was told it would be unlikely anyone would be convicted unless people witnessed the vandalism.

She added: “Unless they have evidence like a sighting there’s not much they can do. They wait and hope.”

Miss Wallace’s boyfriend Boo Beckett, aged 43, said: “During the early afternoon of Sunday, I counted six other cars that had their wing mirrors kicked off.

“There might have been more, though, because people might have moved their cars before I was there.”

Anyone with information about the vandalism, which took place overnight between Saturday, July 12 and Sunday, July 13, should call Essex Police on 101.

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:48am Mon 21 Jul 14

MitchLive says...

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Boo.

Boo who?

Don't cry it's just a joke.
Knock knock. Who's there? Boo. Boo who? Don't cry it's just a joke. MitchLive
  • Score: -22

7:13am Mon 21 Jul 14

ravnos says...

£100 for a Micra mirror.... Get in touch with NSEC Raweth (or ebay), cost about £25, and is held on by 1 screw. It takes out 10 mins to fit....
£100 for a Micra mirror.... Get in touch with NSEC Raweth (or ebay), cost about £25, and is held on by 1 screw. It takes out 10 mins to fit.... ravnos
  • Score: 10

7:18am Mon 21 Jul 14

girlie71 says...

Does it matter how much they cost? Its still money that needn't have been spent, vandals ripped off all my wipers ... guess who had to pay .... me ...
Does it matter how much they cost? Its still money that needn't have been spent, vandals ripped off all my wipers ... guess who had to pay .... me ... girlie71
  • Score: 26

7:25am Mon 21 Jul 14

save southend says...

ravnos wrote:
£100 for a Micra mirror.... Get in touch with NSEC Raweth (or ebay), cost about £25, and is held on by 1 screw. It takes out 10 mins to fit....
£100 , buy another micra for that and yes buy off ebay , why do people want their pic in the press so badly , the yobs , sorry vulnerable misunderstood people , may come back as like those that tag they want attention
[quote][p][bold]ravnos[/bold] wrote: £100 for a Micra mirror.... Get in touch with NSEC Raweth (or ebay), cost about £25, and is held on by 1 screw. It takes out 10 mins to fit....[/p][/quote]£100 , buy another micra for that and yes buy off ebay , why do people want their pic in the press so badly , the yobs , sorry vulnerable misunderstood people , may come back as like those that tag they want attention save southend
  • Score: -14

8:14am Mon 21 Jul 14

sesibollox says...

I'd do it for free..
I'd do it for free.. sesibollox
  • Score: 3

9:20am Mon 21 Jul 14

boo beckett says...

save southend wrote:
ravnos wrote:
£100 for a Micra mirror.... Get in touch with NSEC Raweth (or ebay), cost about £25, and is held on by 1 screw. It takes out 10 mins to fit....
£100 , buy another micra for that and yes buy off ebay , why do people want their pic in the press so badly , the yobs , sorry vulnerable misunderstood people , may come back as like those that tag they want attention
I hope they do come back. I'd love to meet them.
[quote][p][bold]save southend[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ravnos[/bold] wrote: £100 for a Micra mirror.... Get in touch with NSEC Raweth (or ebay), cost about £25, and is held on by 1 screw. It takes out 10 mins to fit....[/p][/quote]£100 , buy another micra for that and yes buy off ebay , why do people want their pic in the press so badly , the yobs , sorry vulnerable misunderstood people , may come back as like those that tag they want attention[/p][/quote]I hope they do come back. I'd love to meet them. boo beckett
  • Score: 9

9:38am Mon 21 Jul 14

ddf35 says...

not aimed at this person and i'd be **** off someone did this to my car mirror and my car is 18 years old!... but do the photographers say "come on luv, give us your best dejected/disappointe
d/angry/sad look (depending on the story)" - it just makes me think of a stereotypical photographer with the hat

http://2.bp.blogspot
.com/-mGJAXYsncik/T3
-rx9inAjI/AAAAAAAAGr
4/xgCpGts0V0Q/s1600/
Press+P.jpg
not aimed at this person and i'd be **** off someone did this to my car mirror and my car is 18 years old!... but do the photographers say "come on luv, give us your best dejected/disappointe d/angry/sad look (depending on the story)" - it just makes me think of a stereotypical photographer with the hat http://2.bp.blogspot .com/-mGJAXYsncik/T3 -rx9inAjI/AAAAAAAAGr 4/xgCpGts0V0Q/s1600/ Press+P.jpg ddf35
  • Score: -1

10:35am Mon 21 Jul 14

Bernard Fatsack says...

Sadly this is all too common in Cambridge Road where my friend had endured his motorcycle being pushed over and his classic car being broken into countless times. Drunk louts sadly and no police on the streets to control them, in fact despite CCTV footage the police are under resourced to deal with the crimes.
Sadly this is all too common in Cambridge Road where my friend had endured his motorcycle being pushed over and his classic car being broken into countless times. Drunk louts sadly and no police on the streets to control them, in fact despite CCTV footage the police are under resourced to deal with the crimes. Bernard Fatsack
  • Score: 2

11:10am Mon 21 Jul 14

ravnos says...

boo beckett wrote:
save southend wrote:
ravnos wrote:
£100 for a Micra mirror.... Get in touch with NSEC Raweth (or ebay), cost about £25, and is held on by 1 screw. It takes out 10 mins to fit....
£100 , buy another micra for that and yes buy off ebay , why do people want their pic in the press so badly , the yobs , sorry vulnerable misunderstood people , may come back as like those that tag they want attention
I hope they do come back. I'd love to meet them.
Some little so-and-so did my mirror on xmas eve... I found xmas morning... it made for a really happy day. Ford quoted my over £250 with paint etc... Ordered one off ebay for less than £25. I was just offering advice from experience. Ive changed the near side mirror on a micra too... NSEC charged me £25 for that one, and it took less than an hour to fit.

I'm certainly not condoning the actions, and if it is the same people who did mine, and you manage to find them, I'd love to meet them too!
[quote][p][bold]boo beckett[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]save southend[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ravnos[/bold] wrote: £100 for a Micra mirror.... Get in touch with NSEC Raweth (or ebay), cost about £25, and is held on by 1 screw. It takes out 10 mins to fit....[/p][/quote]£100 , buy another micra for that and yes buy off ebay , why do people want their pic in the press so badly , the yobs , sorry vulnerable misunderstood people , may come back as like those that tag they want attention[/p][/quote]I hope they do come back. I'd love to meet them.[/p][/quote]Some little so-and-so did my mirror on xmas eve... I found xmas morning... it made for a really happy day. Ford quoted my over £250 with paint etc... Ordered one off ebay for less than £25. I was just offering advice from experience. Ive changed the near side mirror on a micra too... NSEC charged me £25 for that one, and it took less than an hour to fit. I'm certainly not condoning the actions, and if it is the same people who did mine, and you manage to find them, I'd love to meet them too! ravnos
  • Score: 6

6:12pm Mon 21 Jul 14

Hawthorne says...

girlie71 wrote:
Does it matter how much they cost? Its still money that needn't have been spent, vandals ripped off all my wipers ... guess who had to pay .... me ...
Yes, but he's offering a bit of helpful advice to keep the cost lower... What's wrong with that?
[quote][p][bold]girlie71[/bold] wrote: Does it matter how much they cost? Its still money that needn't have been spent, vandals ripped off all my wipers ... guess who had to pay .... me ...[/p][/quote]Yes, but he's offering a bit of helpful advice to keep the cost lower... What's wrong with that? Hawthorne
  • Score: 2

8:59pm Mon 21 Jul 14

the25man says...

I know what it's like I have had two wing mirrors kicked off on two different cars.
I would love to kick them where it hurts and that's not in the pocket but between the pockets
I know what it's like I have had two wing mirrors kicked off on two different cars. I would love to kick them where it hurts and that's not in the pocket but between the pockets the25man
  • Score: 0

12:56am Tue 22 Jul 14

mrseafront says...

The Scrotes unbolted my Transit mirror in Scratton Rd bet nobody saw anything.....funny how they see a parking space though
The Scrotes unbolted my Transit mirror in Scratton Rd bet nobody saw anything.....funny how they see a parking space though mrseafront
  • Score: 0

11:26am Tue 22 Jul 14

John Right says...

Looking at that pic, some folk are better off without a mirror, ones enough...ouch
Looking at that pic, some folk are better off without a mirror, ones enough...ouch John Right
  • Score: -1

7:46pm Tue 22 Jul 14

pembury53 says...

never leave a car parked along there, asking for trouble....
never leave a car parked along there, asking for trouble.... pembury53
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree