Restaurant wants parking signs to be changed

Restaurant wants parking signs to be changed

Restaurant wants parking signs to be changed

First published in Local News

THE OWNERS of a restaurant are lobbying the council to install parking signs in a nearby car park.

Shah Ali, 39, director of the Tandoori Parlour, in Hart Road, Thundersley, claims he is losing customers because they are unaware they can park for free after 7pm.

The council-run car park is free, but has a time limit of three hours during the day.

Mr Ali said: “We have been here since 1979, but the car park issue is becoming a problem for us. During the day, there is a three-hour limit to park, but after 7pm it is free.

“The problem is, it’s not clear and customers don’t know this. All we want is a sign put up, so customers are aware that after 7pm there is no exemption.”

Paul Varker, Ukip representative for Victoria Ward, said: “The Tandoori Parlour is losing customers because they are too scared to park there as they will be there for longer than three hours.

They just need to change the sign to make it clearer.”

A spokeswoman for the council confirmed there are no plans to provide extra signs in the car park.

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:46am Tue 29 Jul 14

Robin Reliant says...

Ok who stays in an Indian restaurant for more than 3 hours.? Tandoori parlour have had it good for years with free parking most other places only have limited on road parking if that, if they are that concerned by it offer to pay for the signs themselves, if someone is really visiting a restaurant they will find somewhere to park anyhow, plenty of establishments are struggling for customers nowadays and its not down to a 3 hour parking issue, think themselves very lucky to have a free carpark at all.
Ok who stays in an Indian restaurant for more than 3 hours.? Tandoori parlour have had it good for years with free parking most other places only have limited on road parking if that, if they are that concerned by it offer to pay for the signs themselves, if someone is really visiting a restaurant they will find somewhere to park anyhow, plenty of establishments are struggling for customers nowadays and its not down to a 3 hour parking issue, think themselves very lucky to have a free carpark at all. Robin Reliant
  • Score: 15

8:21am Tue 29 Jul 14

Richy don't shine shoes no more says...

Totally reasonable request
Totally reasonable request Richy don't shine shoes no more
  • Score: -3

8:31am Tue 29 Jul 14

Kim Gandy says...

What's wrong with them putting up their own signs. Surely they don't need any kind of permission to put up a sign with the relevant information on it.

I don't know of any other country that is so precious about parking.

There are far too many rules and little Hitlers willing to enforce them. There have to be rules where it affects local residents or obstruction, otherwise they are an anathema to shoppers.

There should be a minimum parking fee where fees apply and outlandish sums of money should be outlawed. Daylight robbery.

Like I said, other countries manage without problems, why not here.
What's wrong with them putting up their own signs. Surely they don't need any kind of permission to put up a sign with the relevant information on it. I don't know of any other country that is so precious about parking. There are far too many rules and little Hitlers willing to enforce them. There have to be rules where it affects local residents or obstruction, otherwise they are an anathema to shoppers. There should be a minimum parking fee where fees apply and outlandish sums of money should be outlawed. Daylight robbery. Like I said, other countries manage without problems, why not here. Kim Gandy
  • Score: 15

9:51am Tue 29 Jul 14

Old Southendian says...

Kim Gandy wrote:
What's wrong with them putting up their own signs. Surely they don't need any kind of permission to put up a sign with the relevant information on it.

I don't know of any other country that is so precious about parking.

There are far too many rules and little Hitlers willing to enforce them. There have to be rules where it affects local residents or obstruction, otherwise they are an anathema to shoppers.

There should be a minimum parking fee where fees apply and outlandish sums of money should be outlawed. Daylight robbery.

Like I said, other countries manage without problems, why not here.
And where does Kim Gandy suggest the signs are erected? Inside the restaurant or in the car park? Castle Point would be the first to complain about unauthorised signs in the car park!
Oh, but Castle Point erect temporary signs for planning applications, etc and there they stay until they rot and drop off and join the rest of the rubbish in the gutter, which I am told by the Council's contractor should be swept every 3 weeks. More like every 3 months if we get lucky. And now the drains are blocked again, so over to Essex...........
I digress. So why the 3 hour parking restriction? Hardly near a rail station or centre of commerce.
I've always managed to park there. Oh, except at school run times.
[quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: What's wrong with them putting up their own signs. Surely they don't need any kind of permission to put up a sign with the relevant information on it. I don't know of any other country that is so precious about parking. There are far too many rules and little Hitlers willing to enforce them. There have to be rules where it affects local residents or obstruction, otherwise they are an anathema to shoppers. There should be a minimum parking fee where fees apply and outlandish sums of money should be outlawed. Daylight robbery. Like I said, other countries manage without problems, why not here.[/p][/quote]And where does Kim Gandy suggest the signs are erected? Inside the restaurant or in the car park? Castle Point would be the first to complain about unauthorised signs in the car park! Oh, but Castle Point erect temporary signs for planning applications, etc and there they stay until they rot and drop off and join the rest of the rubbish in the gutter, which I am told by the Council's contractor should be swept every 3 weeks. More like every 3 months if we get lucky. And now the drains are blocked again, so over to Essex........... I digress. So why the 3 hour parking restriction? Hardly near a rail station or centre of commerce. I've always managed to park there. Oh, except at school run times. Old Southendian
  • Score: -6

9:58am Tue 29 Jul 14

John Right says...

Old Southendian wrote:
Kim Gandy wrote:
What's wrong with them putting up their own signs. Surely they don't need any kind of permission to put up a sign with the relevant information on it.

I don't know of any other country that is so precious about parking.

There are far too many rules and little Hitlers willing to enforce them. There have to be rules where it affects local residents or obstruction, otherwise they are an anathema to shoppers.

There should be a minimum parking fee where fees apply and outlandish sums of money should be outlawed. Daylight robbery.

Like I said, other countries manage without problems, why not here.
And where does Kim Gandy suggest the signs are erected? Inside the restaurant or in the car park? Castle Point would be the first to complain about unauthorised signs in the car park!
Oh, but Castle Point erect temporary signs for planning applications, etc and there they stay until they rot and drop off and join the rest of the rubbish in the gutter, which I am told by the Council's contractor should be swept every 3 weeks. More like every 3 months if we get lucky. And now the drains are blocked again, so over to Essex...........
I digress. So why the 3 hour parking restriction? Hardly near a rail station or centre of commerce.
I've always managed to park there. Oh, except at school run times.
Funny how you like the term Hitler, umm
[quote][p][bold]Old Southendian[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: What's wrong with them putting up their own signs. Surely they don't need any kind of permission to put up a sign with the relevant information on it. I don't know of any other country that is so precious about parking. There are far too many rules and little Hitlers willing to enforce them. There have to be rules where it affects local residents or obstruction, otherwise they are an anathema to shoppers. There should be a minimum parking fee where fees apply and outlandish sums of money should be outlawed. Daylight robbery. Like I said, other countries manage without problems, why not here.[/p][/quote]And where does Kim Gandy suggest the signs are erected? Inside the restaurant or in the car park? Castle Point would be the first to complain about unauthorised signs in the car park! Oh, but Castle Point erect temporary signs for planning applications, etc and there they stay until they rot and drop off and join the rest of the rubbish in the gutter, which I am told by the Council's contractor should be swept every 3 weeks. More like every 3 months if we get lucky. And now the drains are blocked again, so over to Essex........... I digress. So why the 3 hour parking restriction? Hardly near a rail station or centre of commerce. I've always managed to park there. Oh, except at school run times.[/p][/quote]Funny how you like the term Hitler, umm John Right
  • Score: 0

10:06am Tue 29 Jul 14

Robin Reliant says...

Seems its only The indian that has an interest, as they now have a 450 capacity for those 'charity' disco dance nights, ohh the glory days when they had booths, sitar music, etched perspex dividers and regular good honest ruby murrays, now its party till ya puke with 10% going to chaariteee thats right mate poptastic.
Seems its only The indian that has an interest, as they now have a 450 capacity for those 'charity' disco dance nights, ohh the glory days when they had booths, sitar music, etched perspex dividers and regular good honest ruby murrays, now its party till ya puke with 10% going to chaariteee thats right mate poptastic. Robin Reliant
  • Score: 7

12:10pm Tue 29 Jul 14

HoHmm says...

Im confused, can I not see an free parking sign behind them in the picture?
Im confused, can I not see an free parking sign behind them in the picture? HoHmm
  • Score: 12

2:52pm Tue 29 Jul 14

_Lotus_ says...

HoHmm wrote:
Im confused, can I not see an free parking sign behind them in the picture?
Yep, it definitely says Free Parking.

Not quite sure what the restaurant are after now lol
[quote][p][bold]HoHmm[/bold] wrote: Im confused, can I not see an free parking sign behind them in the picture?[/p][/quote]Yep, it definitely says Free Parking. Not quite sure what the restaurant are after now lol _Lotus_
  • Score: 4

6:52pm Tue 29 Jul 14

the25man says...

The signs are there to be read but if you can't read or under stand what the signs say then how do you make it clearer.
The signs are there to be read but if you can't read or under stand what the signs say then how do you make it clearer. the25man
  • Score: 4

9:40pm Tue 29 Jul 14

supermadmax says...

Robin Reliant wrote:
Ok who stays in an Indian restaurant for more than 3 hours.? Tandoori parlour have had it good for years with free parking most other places only have limited on road parking if that, if they are that concerned by it offer to pay for the signs themselves, if someone is really visiting a restaurant they will find somewhere to park anyhow, plenty of establishments are struggling for customers nowadays and its not down to a 3 hour parking issue, think themselves very lucky to have a free carpark at all.
"Ok who stays in an Indian restaurant for more than 3 hours"

That Ali does by the look of him, loves his grub. Definitely a salad dodger.
[quote][p][bold]Robin Reliant[/bold] wrote: Ok who stays in an Indian restaurant for more than 3 hours.? Tandoori parlour have had it good for years with free parking most other places only have limited on road parking if that, if they are that concerned by it offer to pay for the signs themselves, if someone is really visiting a restaurant they will find somewhere to park anyhow, plenty of establishments are struggling for customers nowadays and its not down to a 3 hour parking issue, think themselves very lucky to have a free carpark at all.[/p][/quote]"Ok who stays in an Indian restaurant for more than 3 hours" That Ali does by the look of him, loves his grub. Definitely a salad dodger. supermadmax
  • Score: 4

6:16am Wed 30 Jul 14

turtlemanor says...

Give our local MP a curry then they will push to lay on a taxi from carpark to the restaurant , if they had not parking then why did they get planning to build even bigger place . They could use some of the staff that should not be here to become carpark attendance on low wage and then give them the new build houses around Benfleet ,
Give our local MP a curry then they will push to lay on a taxi from carpark to the restaurant , if they had not parking then why did they get planning to build even bigger place . They could use some of the staff that should not be here to become carpark attendance on low wage and then give them the new build houses around Benfleet , turtlemanor
  • Score: 1

7:33am Wed 30 Jul 14

The King of Southend says...

I went to the Tandoori parlour once.

Never again. Awful place.
I went to the Tandoori parlour once. Never again. Awful place. The King of Southend
  • Score: 1

2:12pm Wed 30 Jul 14

Now listen for I have something to say says...

John Right wrote:
Old Southendian wrote:
Kim Gandy wrote:
What's wrong with them putting up their own signs. Surely they don't need any kind of permission to put up a sign with the relevant information on it.

I don't know of any other country that is so precious about parking.

There are far too many rules and little Hitlers willing to enforce them. There have to be rules where it affects local residents or obstruction, otherwise they are an anathema to shoppers.

There should be a minimum parking fee where fees apply and outlandish sums of money should be outlawed. Daylight robbery.

Like I said, other countries manage without problems, why not here.
And where does Kim Gandy suggest the signs are erected? Inside the restaurant or in the car park? Castle Point would be the first to complain about unauthorised signs in the car park!
Oh, but Castle Point erect temporary signs for planning applications, etc and there they stay until they rot and drop off and join the rest of the rubbish in the gutter, which I am told by the Council's contractor should be swept every 3 weeks. More like every 3 months if we get lucky. And now the drains are blocked again, so over to Essex...........
I digress. So why the 3 hour parking restriction? Hardly near a rail station or centre of commerce.
I've always managed to park there. Oh, except at school run times.
Funny how you like the term Hitler, umm
.
[quote][p][bold]John Right[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Old Southendian[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: What's wrong with them putting up their own signs. Surely they don't need any kind of permission to put up a sign with the relevant information on it. I don't know of any other country that is so precious about parking. There are far too many rules and little Hitlers willing to enforce them. There have to be rules where it affects local residents or obstruction, otherwise they are an anathema to shoppers. There should be a minimum parking fee where fees apply and outlandish sums of money should be outlawed. Daylight robbery. Like I said, other countries manage without problems, why not here.[/p][/quote]And where does Kim Gandy suggest the signs are erected? Inside the restaurant or in the car park? Castle Point would be the first to complain about unauthorised signs in the car park! Oh, but Castle Point erect temporary signs for planning applications, etc and there they stay until they rot and drop off and join the rest of the rubbish in the gutter, which I am told by the Council's contractor should be swept every 3 weeks. More like every 3 months if we get lucky. And now the drains are blocked again, so over to Essex........... I digress. So why the 3 hour parking restriction? Hardly near a rail station or centre of commerce. I've always managed to park there. Oh, except at school run times.[/p][/quote]Funny how you like the term Hitler, umm[/p][/quote]. Now listen for I have something to say
  • Score: 0

5:25pm Wed 30 Jul 14

Gay Ray says...

_Lotus_ wrote:
HoHmm wrote:
Im confused, can I not see an free parking sign behind them in the picture?
Yep, it definitely says Free Parking.

Not quite sure what the restaurant are after now lol
Having borrowed my partner's magnifying glass it does appear to me that beneath the 'Free Parking' it does say 'Maximum stay 3 hours' 'No return within 2 hours'. However I tend to agree that if people are too lazy to read the full terms to discover that there is no restriction after 7pm that is hardly the council's fault.
[quote][p][bold]_Lotus_[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]HoHmm[/bold] wrote: Im confused, can I not see an free parking sign behind them in the picture?[/p][/quote]Yep, it definitely says Free Parking. Not quite sure what the restaurant are after now lol[/p][/quote]Having borrowed my partner's magnifying glass it does appear to me that beneath the 'Free Parking' it does say 'Maximum stay 3 hours' 'No return within 2 hours'. However I tend to agree that if people are too lazy to read the full terms to discover that there is no restriction after 7pm that is hardly the council's fault. Gay Ray
  • Score: 0

2:44pm Fri 8 Aug 14

strumpet97 says...

This is bizarre!! They are loosing custom because the food is simply disgusting. Numerous people i know have had food poisoning. Maybe they should stop blaming non connected problems and look a little closer to home!!
This is bizarre!! They are loosing custom because the food is simply disgusting. Numerous people i know have had food poisoning. Maybe they should stop blaming non connected problems and look a little closer to home!! strumpet97
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree