Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECHONEWS to 80360, or email us »
Elderly man hospitalised after chip pan fire in Southend
9:07am Sunday 10th June 2012 in Local News
A Southend man was left with burns and suffering from smoke inhalation after a chip pan fire.
The male, believed to be in his sixties, was hurt after the pan in his South Avenue home caught alight at about 7.20pm on Saturday.
He had attempted to put out the flames himself, but was unable to as the blaze had spread too much.
Firefighters from Southend were called to the scene and extinguished the flames by 7.45pm.
Paramedics took the man to Southend Hospital to be treated for his injuries.
Another person who was inside the property at the time of the incident escaped unharmed.
The home has been left with some smoke damage.