THE family of a Canvey man who died after being assaulted in Thailand are calling on the authorities to step up their investigations and get justice for their son.

It has been exactly a year since Paul Ayling, 47, suffered severe brain damage after hitting his head on a lump of wood in Hua Hin, Thailand on November 21 last year.

Mr Ayling, who lived on Canvey for more than 30 years, tragically died on the weekend after spending the last year in a coma, he had moved to Thailand with his wife Justine and their son Scott, 10 in 2010.

Paul’s mum Anita Ayling, 70, who lives in Thailand, said a murder investigation has been launched in Thailand, and that the family just want justice for Paul.
Mrs Ayling said: “It has not got any better for us after a year of hoping Paul would pull through. His body couldn’t take any more. He was strong and fought for the year.

“It’s now a murder investigation here, it seems it has taken for Paul to die for all this to change and for something to be done.

“We have been in touch with the British embassy here in Bangkok and they have been very helpful and they finally seem to be doing something about the case.”

Mr Ayling’s family said last year they suspected the attackers were hired after he refused to pay decorators for shoddy work on his home.

At the time of the attack Mr Ayling’s parents were given a list of names of people who were suspected of carrying out the attack.

They passed these onto police and the men were arrested and later released without charge.

Mrs Ayling added: “We were hoping to come back for the funeral but Paul’s dad has been told he cannot fly, this is due to the stress and health problems over the last year.

“We are waiting for the death certificate to be sent over and then we will be having a meeting with our lawyer who will deal with the police on our behalf out here. We may also write to the Thai Prime Minister.

“Our minds are just in total turmoil and we just want something done for Paul, some kind of justice and closure.”

A Foreign Office spokesman said: “We are aware of the death of the British national on November 17 and we are in touch with the family at this sad time and will continue to liase with the Thai authorities as they continue their investigation.”

An inquest has been opened and adjourned into Mr Ayling's death.