Church demolished to make way for new one

Mixed emotions – the Rev Marian Sturrock was on site to see the demolition

Mixed emotions – the Rev Marian Sturrock was on site to see the demolition

First published in News by

A BELOVED church has finally been torn down to make way for a new £420,000 building.

Yesterday marked the end of an era for parishioners at St Michael’s Church, in St Michael’s Road, Daws Heath, Thundersley, as the 90-year-old site was demolished to make way for a new facility.

The ageing timber building, which was built as an Army hut in the First World War, had only been intended to last ten years.

Now, more than eighty years later, churchgoers have finally had to call it a day as the rotting building is beyond economic repair.

Diggers bulldozed the old building in the early hours of the morning to make way for a new modern church, complete with a new community hall.

The Rev Marian Sturrock said: “It is sad when you think of all the people who have been married and baptised here and all the memories that have been created.

“But, at the same time the building was getting very old and I know everyone is excited and looking forward to the rebuild getting under way.”

The new building has been made possible by a two-year campaign which has seen parishioners raise more than £400,000 through charitable events, donations and grants.

Fundraising is almost complete, with only around £15,000 needed to complete the campaign.

This comes after Essex County Council awarded the congregation with a £10,000 grant as part of their Big Society scheme to help refurbish the interior of the building.

Ken Jones, 64, of Western Road, Daws Heath, who is leading the project, said: “I think everyone here has mixed feelings both of sadness for the old church, but anticipation for the new building.

“It has been a long time coming and we are excited things are now under way.”

Contractors anticipate the new building will be completed by mid-June in time for its grand reopening on June 25.

For more information on how to donate to the church rebuildfund, contact Mr Jones on 01702 555573.

Comments (25)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:10am Wed 25 Apr 12

nicknows says...

Let us hope that they are not the same contractors who are working on Saddlers Farm!
Let us hope that they are not the same contractors who are working on Saddlers Farm! nicknows
  • Score: 0

12:53pm Wed 25 Apr 12

R85 says...

£10,000 from the taxpayer for a building dedicated to a figment of peoples imagination! There are no words! If there was a true separation of church and state, shouldn’t this be illegal? For what reason does the government believe they should fund this? To think that “intelligent” people believe in religion beggars belief but to have the government partially fund this is a big fk you to all atheists! Are we run by a completely Christian government? Perhaps this Christmas they could put some funding into building a few Santas Grottos?! We now realize that the beliefs in gods from antiquity were falsehoods, how long will it take for people to realize this with current religion!
£10,000 from the taxpayer for a building dedicated to a figment of peoples imagination! There are no words! If there was a true separation of church and state, shouldn’t this be illegal? For what reason does the government believe they should fund this? To think that “intelligent” people believe in religion beggars belief but to have the government partially fund this is a big fk you to all atheists! Are we run by a completely Christian government? Perhaps this Christmas they could put some funding into building a few Santas Grottos?! We now realize that the beliefs in gods from antiquity were falsehoods, how long will it take for people to realize this with current religion! R85
  • Score: -1

1:16pm Wed 25 Apr 12

R85 says...

www.godisimaginary.c
om

For any believers (or atheists) please read the 50 proofs on the above site. I know Christians wouldn’t normally read anything that could possibly instil doubt into their belief. I however challenge any human being to read some of the proofs on this website and still hold their belief or at least not acknowledge that the bible is fundamentally fraught with unfathomably ridiculous hypocrisy!

For example - God sent Moses down the hill with the two tablets, which had the Ten Commandments written on them (including thou shalt not Kill) He then orders Moses to order the Levites to massacre 3,000 people …. Hmm … OK – That ones from Proof 16 – Contemplate the contradictions!
www.godisimaginary.c om For any believers (or atheists) please read the 50 proofs on the above site. I know Christians wouldn’t normally read anything that could possibly instil doubt into their belief. I however challenge any human being to read some of the proofs on this website and still hold their belief or at least not acknowledge that the bible is fundamentally fraught with unfathomably ridiculous hypocrisy! For example - God sent Moses down the hill with the two tablets, which had the Ten Commandments written on them (including thou shalt not Kill) He then orders Moses to order the Levites to massacre 3,000 people …. Hmm … OK – That ones from Proof 16 – Contemplate the contradictions! R85
  • Score: -1

2:13pm Wed 25 Apr 12

Nebs says...

R85 wrote:
£10,000 from the taxpayer for a building dedicated to a figment of peoples imagination! There are no words! If there was a true separation of church and state, shouldn’t this be illegal? For what reason does the government believe they should fund this? To think that “intelligent” people believe in religion beggars belief but to have the government partially fund this is a big fk you to all atheists! Are we run by a completely Christian government? Perhaps this Christmas they could put some funding into building a few Santas Grottos?! We now realize that the beliefs in gods from antiquity were falsehoods, how long will it take for people to realize this with current religion!
Blessed are the meek.
[quote][p][bold]R85[/bold] wrote: £10,000 from the taxpayer for a building dedicated to a figment of peoples imagination! There are no words! If there was a true separation of church and state, shouldn’t this be illegal? For what reason does the government believe they should fund this? To think that “intelligent” people believe in religion beggars belief but to have the government partially fund this is a big fk you to all atheists! Are we run by a completely Christian government? Perhaps this Christmas they could put some funding into building a few Santas Grottos?! We now realize that the beliefs in gods from antiquity were falsehoods, how long will it take for people to realize this with current religion![/p][/quote]Blessed are the meek. Nebs
  • Score: 0

2:17pm Wed 25 Apr 12

The Cater Wood Creeper says...

Nebs wrote:
R85 wrote: £10,000 from the taxpayer for a building dedicated to a figment of peoples imagination! There are no words! If there was a true separation of church and state, shouldn’t this be illegal? For what reason does the government believe they should fund this? To think that “intelligent” people believe in religion beggars belief but to have the government partially fund this is a big fk you to all atheists! Are we run by a completely Christian government? Perhaps this Christmas they could put some funding into building a few Santas Grottos?! We now realize that the beliefs in gods from antiquity were falsehoods, how long will it take for people to realize this with current religion!
Blessed are the meek.
he's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy
[quote][p][bold]Nebs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]R85[/bold] wrote: £10,000 from the taxpayer for a building dedicated to a figment of peoples imagination! There are no words! If there was a true separation of church and state, shouldn’t this be illegal? For what reason does the government believe they should fund this? To think that “intelligent” people believe in religion beggars belief but to have the government partially fund this is a big fk you to all atheists! Are we run by a completely Christian government? Perhaps this Christmas they could put some funding into building a few Santas Grottos?! We now realize that the beliefs in gods from antiquity were falsehoods, how long will it take for people to realize this with current religion![/p][/quote]Blessed are the meek.[/p][/quote]he's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy The Cater Wood Creeper
  • Score: 0

3:14pm Wed 25 Apr 12

R85 says...

Don’t get me wrong - what human being wouldn’t want to believe in a god?? I can’t imagine how wonderful it would be if there were such thing as a divine creator – the IDEA is truly beautiful! Unfortunately we have to accept the reality given the mountains of evidence and hypocrisy against it!
Don’t get me wrong - what human being wouldn’t want to believe in a god?? I can’t imagine how wonderful it would be if there were such thing as a divine creator – the IDEA is truly beautiful! Unfortunately we have to accept the reality given the mountains of evidence and hypocrisy against it! R85
  • Score: 0

3:22pm Wed 25 Apr 12

Biffo-bear says...

R85 wrote:
www.godisimaginary.c om For any believers (or atheists) please read the 50 proofs on the above site. I know Christians wouldn’t normally read anything that could possibly instil doubt into their belief. I however challenge any human being to read some of the proofs on this website and still hold their belief or at least not acknowledge that the bible is fundamentally fraught with unfathomably ridiculous hypocrisy! For example - God sent Moses down the hill with the two tablets, which had the Ten Commandments written on them (including thou shalt not Kill) He then orders Moses to order the Levites to massacre 3,000 people …. Hmm … OK – That ones from Proof 16 – Contemplate the contradictions!
Well said! And lets not forget the talking snakes, virgin births, global floods (that even the pope acknowledges didn't happen) and where did Cain and Abels wives come from? The bible is nonsense but that's no wonder as it's the best guess of ignorant iron age tribesmen which had to be translated from the ancient Hebrew (which has no vowels) into ancient Greek before it could be translated into English. There is NO god! Religion has always been about power and control, no wonder the meek are blessed! All this just proves our Councillors are away with the fairies too.
[quote][p][bold]R85[/bold] wrote: www.godisimaginary.c om For any believers (or atheists) please read the 50 proofs on the above site. I know Christians wouldn’t normally read anything that could possibly instil doubt into their belief. I however challenge any human being to read some of the proofs on this website and still hold their belief or at least not acknowledge that the bible is fundamentally fraught with unfathomably ridiculous hypocrisy! For example - God sent Moses down the hill with the two tablets, which had the Ten Commandments written on them (including thou shalt not Kill) He then orders Moses to order the Levites to massacre 3,000 people …. Hmm … OK – That ones from Proof 16 – Contemplate the contradictions![/p][/quote]Well said! And lets not forget the talking snakes, virgin births, global floods (that even the pope acknowledges didn't happen) and where did Cain and Abels wives come from? The bible is nonsense but that's no wonder as it's the best guess of ignorant iron age tribesmen which had to be translated from the ancient Hebrew (which has no vowels) into ancient Greek before it could be translated into English. There is NO god! Religion has always been about power and control, no wonder the meek are blessed! All this just proves our Councillors are away with the fairies too. Biffo-bear
  • Score: 0

4:16pm Wed 25 Apr 12

saddo99 says...

Where did Cain and Abels wives come from? Er Basildon?
Where did Cain and Abels wives come from? Er Basildon? saddo99
  • Score: 0

4:41pm Wed 25 Apr 12

soul man says...

they could have saved money on the demo by someone saying on facebook theres a party at that church, you'd have got it pulled down for nowt
they could have saved money on the demo by someone saying on facebook theres a party at that church, you'd have got it pulled down for nowt soul man
  • Score: 0

5:01pm Wed 25 Apr 12

Biffo-bear says...

saddo99 wrote:
Where did Cain and Abels wives come from? Er Basildon?
Probably.
[quote][p][bold]saddo99[/bold] wrote: Where did Cain and Abels wives come from? Er Basildon?[/p][/quote]Probably. Biffo-bear
  • Score: 0

6:47pm Fri 27 Apr 12

Diannah says...

soul man wrote:
they could have saved money on the demo by someone saying on facebook theres a party at that church, you'd have got it pulled down for nowt
You're not far from the truth. You should have seen the state of the church last week!

Some of the parishoners of their 'beloved' church ripped windows and wooden walls out for firewood and left the remains in a very dangerous and unsecured state.

I reckon another week and the demolition company would not have been needed.

I walk past this church every week and was totally shocked at how they had treated their church.
[quote][p][bold]soul man[/bold] wrote: they could have saved money on the demo by someone saying on facebook theres a party at that church, you'd have got it pulled down for nowt[/p][/quote]You're not far from the truth. You should have seen the state of the church last week! Some of the parishoners of their 'beloved' church ripped windows and wooden walls out for firewood and left the remains in a very dangerous and unsecured state. I reckon another week and the demolition company would not have been needed. I walk past this church every week and was totally shocked at how they had treated their church. Diannah
  • Score: 0

10:07pm Sat 28 Apr 12

Diannah says...

Biffo-bear wrote:
R85 wrote:
www.godisimaginary.c om For any believers (or atheists) please read the 50 proofs on the above site. I know Christians wouldn’t normally read anything that could possibly instil doubt into their belief. I however challenge any human being to read some of the proofs on this website and still hold their belief or at least not acknowledge that the bible is fundamentally fraught with unfathomably ridiculous hypocrisy! For example - God sent Moses down the hill with the two tablets, which had the Ten Commandments written on them (including thou shalt not Kill) He then orders Moses to order the Levites to massacre 3,000 people …. Hmm … OK – That ones from Proof 16 – Contemplate the contradictions!
Well said! And lets not forget the talking snakes, virgin births, global floods (that even the pope acknowledges didn't happen) and where did Cain and Abels wives come from? The bible is nonsense but that's no wonder as it's the best guess of ignorant iron age tribesmen which had to be translated from the ancient Hebrew (which has no vowels) into ancient Greek before it could be translated into English. There is NO god! Religion has always been about power and control, no wonder the meek are blessed! All this just proves our Councillors are away with the fairies too.
I'm not a religious fanatic but I would never deprive anybody of their faith. If the Government want to put money in faith that seems to me like money well spent. We may all need it one day.
[quote][p][bold]Biffo-bear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]R85[/bold] wrote: www.godisimaginary.c om For any believers (or atheists) please read the 50 proofs on the above site. I know Christians wouldn’t normally read anything that could possibly instil doubt into their belief. I however challenge any human being to read some of the proofs on this website and still hold their belief or at least not acknowledge that the bible is fundamentally fraught with unfathomably ridiculous hypocrisy! For example - God sent Moses down the hill with the two tablets, which had the Ten Commandments written on them (including thou shalt not Kill) He then orders Moses to order the Levites to massacre 3,000 people …. Hmm … OK – That ones from Proof 16 – Contemplate the contradictions![/p][/quote]Well said! And lets not forget the talking snakes, virgin births, global floods (that even the pope acknowledges didn't happen) and where did Cain and Abels wives come from? The bible is nonsense but that's no wonder as it's the best guess of ignorant iron age tribesmen which had to be translated from the ancient Hebrew (which has no vowels) into ancient Greek before it could be translated into English. There is NO god! Religion has always been about power and control, no wonder the meek are blessed! All this just proves our Councillors are away with the fairies too.[/p][/quote]I'm not a religious fanatic but I would never deprive anybody of their faith. If the Government want to put money in faith that seems to me like money well spent. We may all need it one day. Diannah
  • Score: 0

2:12pm Sun 29 Apr 12

Biffo-bear says...

Diannah wrote:
Biffo-bear wrote:
R85 wrote: www.godisimaginary.c om For any believers (or atheists) please read the 50 proofs on the above site. I know Christians wouldn’t normally read anything that could possibly instil doubt into their belief. I however challenge any human being to read some of the proofs on this website and still hold their belief or at least not acknowledge that the bible is fundamentally fraught with unfathomably ridiculous hypocrisy! For example - God sent Moses down the hill with the two tablets, which had the Ten Commandments written on them (including thou shalt not Kill) He then orders Moses to order the Levites to massacre 3,000 people …. Hmm … OK – That ones from Proof 16 – Contemplate the contradictions!
Well said! And lets not forget the talking snakes, virgin births, global floods (that even the pope acknowledges didn't happen) and where did Cain and Abels wives come from? The bible is nonsense but that's no wonder as it's the best guess of ignorant iron age tribesmen which had to be translated from the ancient Hebrew (which has no vowels) into ancient Greek before it could be translated into English. There is NO god! Religion has always been about power and control, no wonder the meek are blessed! All this just proves our Councillors are away with the fairies too.
I'm not a religious fanatic but I would never deprive anybody of their faith. If the Government want to put money in faith that seems to me like money well spent. We may all need it one day.
Faith in fairytale gods = ignorance
[quote][p][bold]Diannah[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Biffo-bear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]R85[/bold] wrote: www.godisimaginary.c om For any believers (or atheists) please read the 50 proofs on the above site. I know Christians wouldn’t normally read anything that could possibly instil doubt into their belief. I however challenge any human being to read some of the proofs on this website and still hold their belief or at least not acknowledge that the bible is fundamentally fraught with unfathomably ridiculous hypocrisy! For example - God sent Moses down the hill with the two tablets, which had the Ten Commandments written on them (including thou shalt not Kill) He then orders Moses to order the Levites to massacre 3,000 people …. Hmm … OK – That ones from Proof 16 – Contemplate the contradictions![/p][/quote]Well said! And lets not forget the talking snakes, virgin births, global floods (that even the pope acknowledges didn't happen) and where did Cain and Abels wives come from? The bible is nonsense but that's no wonder as it's the best guess of ignorant iron age tribesmen which had to be translated from the ancient Hebrew (which has no vowels) into ancient Greek before it could be translated into English. There is NO god! Religion has always been about power and control, no wonder the meek are blessed! All this just proves our Councillors are away with the fairies too.[/p][/quote]I'm not a religious fanatic but I would never deprive anybody of their faith. If the Government want to put money in faith that seems to me like money well spent. We may all need it one day.[/p][/quote]Faith in fairytale gods = ignorance Biffo-bear
  • Score: 0

7:05pm Sun 29 Apr 12

Diannah says...

Biffo-bear wrote:
Diannah wrote:
Biffo-bear wrote:
R85 wrote: www.godisimaginary.c om For any believers (or atheists) please read the 50 proofs on the above site. I know Christians wouldn’t normally read anything that could possibly instil doubt into their belief. I however challenge any human being to read some of the proofs on this website and still hold their belief or at least not acknowledge that the bible is fundamentally fraught with unfathomably ridiculous hypocrisy! For example - God sent Moses down the hill with the two tablets, which had the Ten Commandments written on them (including thou shalt not Kill) He then orders Moses to order the Levites to massacre 3,000 people …. Hmm … OK – That ones from Proof 16 – Contemplate the contradictions!
Well said! And lets not forget the talking snakes, virgin births, global floods (that even the pope acknowledges didn't happen) and where did Cain and Abels wives come from? The bible is nonsense but that's no wonder as it's the best guess of ignorant iron age tribesmen which had to be translated from the ancient Hebrew (which has no vowels) into ancient Greek before it could be translated into English. There is NO god! Religion has always been about power and control, no wonder the meek are blessed! All this just proves our Councillors are away with the fairies too.
I'm not a religious fanatic but I would never deprive anybody of their faith. If the Government want to put money in faith that seems to me like money well spent. We may all need it one day.
Faith in fairytale gods = ignorance
I think many would argue that you don't need to see something in order to experience it.
[quote][p][bold]Biffo-bear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Diannah[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Biffo-bear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]R85[/bold] wrote: www.godisimaginary.c om For any believers (or atheists) please read the 50 proofs on the above site. I know Christians wouldn’t normally read anything that could possibly instil doubt into their belief. I however challenge any human being to read some of the proofs on this website and still hold their belief or at least not acknowledge that the bible is fundamentally fraught with unfathomably ridiculous hypocrisy! For example - God sent Moses down the hill with the two tablets, which had the Ten Commandments written on them (including thou shalt not Kill) He then orders Moses to order the Levites to massacre 3,000 people …. Hmm … OK – That ones from Proof 16 – Contemplate the contradictions![/p][/quote]Well said! And lets not forget the talking snakes, virgin births, global floods (that even the pope acknowledges didn't happen) and where did Cain and Abels wives come from? The bible is nonsense but that's no wonder as it's the best guess of ignorant iron age tribesmen which had to be translated from the ancient Hebrew (which has no vowels) into ancient Greek before it could be translated into English. There is NO god! Religion has always been about power and control, no wonder the meek are blessed! All this just proves our Councillors are away with the fairies too.[/p][/quote]I'm not a religious fanatic but I would never deprive anybody of their faith. If the Government want to put money in faith that seems to me like money well spent. We may all need it one day.[/p][/quote]Faith in fairytale gods = ignorance[/p][/quote]I think many would argue that you don't need to see something in order to experience it. Diannah
  • Score: 0

8:53pm Sun 29 Apr 12

Biffo-bear says...

Diannah wrote:
Biffo-bear wrote:
Diannah wrote:
Biffo-bear wrote:
R85 wrote: www.godisimaginary.c om For any believers (or atheists) please read the 50 proofs on the above site. I know Christians wouldn’t normally read anything that could possibly instil doubt into their belief. I however challenge any human being to read some of the proofs on this website and still hold their belief or at least not acknowledge that the bible is fundamentally fraught with unfathomably ridiculous hypocrisy! For example - God sent Moses down the hill with the two tablets, which had the Ten Commandments written on them (including thou shalt not Kill) He then orders Moses to order the Levites to massacre 3,000 people …. Hmm … OK – That ones from Proof 16 – Contemplate the contradictions!
Well said! And lets not forget the talking snakes, virgin births, global floods (that even the pope acknowledges didn't happen) and where did Cain and Abels wives come from? The bible is nonsense but that's no wonder as it's the best guess of ignorant iron age tribesmen which had to be translated from the ancient Hebrew (which has no vowels) into ancient Greek before it could be translated into English. There is NO god! Religion has always been about power and control, no wonder the meek are blessed! All this just proves our Councillors are away with the fairies too.
I'm not a religious fanatic but I would never deprive anybody of their faith. If the Government want to put money in faith that seems to me like money well spent. We may all need it one day.
Faith in fairytale gods = ignorance
I think many would argue that you don't need to see something in order to experience it.
"You don't need to see something in order to experience it".

True, especially if it's all in your imagination. Other things we can't see directly can always be detected in other ways but there isn't a whisker of evidence for your silly god. If the bible really was the word of god it would be the most incredible book in the world that would explain everything from gravity to quantum mechanics but it doesn't, it explains everything in terms any primitive middle eastern tribesman would understand. Also the bible is full of contradictions and untruths, hardly the work of an all knowing deity, but you keep deceiving yourself if you want.
[quote][p][bold]Diannah[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Biffo-bear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Diannah[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Biffo-bear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]R85[/bold] wrote: www.godisimaginary.c om For any believers (or atheists) please read the 50 proofs on the above site. I know Christians wouldn’t normally read anything that could possibly instil doubt into their belief. I however challenge any human being to read some of the proofs on this website and still hold their belief or at least not acknowledge that the bible is fundamentally fraught with unfathomably ridiculous hypocrisy! For example - God sent Moses down the hill with the two tablets, which had the Ten Commandments written on them (including thou shalt not Kill) He then orders Moses to order the Levites to massacre 3,000 people …. Hmm … OK – That ones from Proof 16 – Contemplate the contradictions![/p][/quote]Well said! And lets not forget the talking snakes, virgin births, global floods (that even the pope acknowledges didn't happen) and where did Cain and Abels wives come from? The bible is nonsense but that's no wonder as it's the best guess of ignorant iron age tribesmen which had to be translated from the ancient Hebrew (which has no vowels) into ancient Greek before it could be translated into English. There is NO god! Religion has always been about power and control, no wonder the meek are blessed! All this just proves our Councillors are away with the fairies too.[/p][/quote]I'm not a religious fanatic but I would never deprive anybody of their faith. If the Government want to put money in faith that seems to me like money well spent. We may all need it one day.[/p][/quote]Faith in fairytale gods = ignorance[/p][/quote]I think many would argue that you don't need to see something in order to experience it.[/p][/quote]"You don't need to see something in order to experience it". True, especially if it's all in your imagination. Other things we can't see directly can always be detected in other ways but there isn't a whisker of evidence for your silly god. If the bible really was the word of god it would be the most incredible book in the world that would explain everything from gravity to quantum mechanics but it doesn't, it explains everything in terms any primitive middle eastern tribesman would understand. Also the bible is full of contradictions and untruths, hardly the work of an all knowing deity, but you keep deceiving yourself if you want. Biffo-bear
  • Score: 0

11:38pm Sun 29 Apr 12

Diannah says...

Regardless of what people think of the Bible - it must be one of the most talked about books of all time! That's good because it keeps people talking - good, healthy debate.

I am not into religion in a big way but I would never demean another person by calling their God silly. Maybe you should open your mind just a little and accept that just because others don't think as you do, it doesn't make their opinion wrong.
Regardless of what people think of the Bible - it must be one of the most talked about books of all time! That's good because it keeps people talking - good, healthy debate. I am not into religion in a big way but I would never demean another person by calling their God silly. Maybe you should open your mind just a little and accept that just because others don't think as you do, it doesn't make their opinion wrong. Diannah
  • Score: 1

12:17pm Mon 30 Apr 12

Biffo-bear says...

Diannah wrote:
Regardless of what people think of the Bible - it must be one of the most talked about books of all time! That's good because it keeps people talking - good, healthy debate. I am not into religion in a big way but I would never demean another person by calling their God silly. Maybe you should open your mind just a little and accept that just because others don't think as you do, it doesn't make their opinion wrong.
Err in this case yes if does. And don't tell me about open minds, I used to be a believer until I realised that I was deceiving myself. If you had a truly open mind you would have to take ALL the evidence onboard, not just the bits you like, and there is an awful lot of evidence that the bible is lies and nonsense. Religion has always been about power and control and if you don't understand that you are a fool.
[quote][p][bold]Diannah[/bold] wrote: Regardless of what people think of the Bible - it must be one of the most talked about books of all time! That's good because it keeps people talking - good, healthy debate. I am not into religion in a big way but I would never demean another person by calling their God silly. Maybe you should open your mind just a little and accept that just because others don't think as you do, it doesn't make their opinion wrong.[/p][/quote]Err in this case yes if does. And don't tell me about open minds, I used to be a believer until I realised that I was deceiving myself. If you had a truly open mind you would have to take ALL the evidence onboard, not just the bits you like, and there is an awful lot of evidence that the bible is lies and nonsense. Religion has always been about power and control and if you don't understand that you are a fool. Biffo-bear
  • Score: 0

3:21pm Mon 30 Apr 12

Diannah says...

So, because you are no longer a believer nobody else is allowed to be?
So, because you are no longer a believer nobody else is allowed to be? Diannah
  • Score: 0

4:14pm Mon 30 Apr 12

Biffo-bear says...

Diannah wrote:
So, because you are no longer a believer nobody else is allowed to be?
You can believe in fairy tales all you want dearie as long as you understand that makes you a moron. All I'm interested in is the truth, not a primitive middle eastern tribesmans version of reality. Of course if you have even the tiniest shred of evidence that the bible is true I would be the first to listen but somehow I doubt that's going to happen as we've been searching for such evidence for millenia and so far we've not found a sausage.
[quote][p][bold]Diannah[/bold] wrote: So, because you are no longer a believer nobody else is allowed to be?[/p][/quote]You can believe in fairy tales all you want dearie as long as you understand that makes you a moron. All I'm interested in is the truth, not a primitive middle eastern tribesmans version of reality. Of course if you have even the tiniest shred of evidence that the bible is true I would be the first to listen but somehow I doubt that's going to happen as we've been searching for such evidence for millenia and so far we've not found a sausage. Biffo-bear
  • Score: 0

5:38pm Mon 30 Apr 12

Diannah says...

Do you get some sort of a kick out of calling people names? It usually shows a lack of intelligence if you have to resort to insulting people to try and get your point across.
Do you get some sort of a kick out of calling people names? It usually shows a lack of intelligence if you have to resort to insulting people to try and get your point across. Diannah
  • Score: 0

6:34pm Mon 30 Apr 12

Biffo-bear says...

Diannah wrote:
Do you get some sort of a kick out of calling people names? It usually shows a lack of intelligence if you have to resort to insulting people to try and get your point across.
What insults? I'm just stating facts. A belief in fairy tales and a complete lack of evidence to support your assertions are a cast iron confirmation of chronic stupidity.
[quote][p][bold]Diannah[/bold] wrote: Do you get some sort of a kick out of calling people names? It usually shows a lack of intelligence if you have to resort to insulting people to try and get your point across.[/p][/quote]What insults? I'm just stating facts. A belief in fairy tales and a complete lack of evidence to support your assertions are a cast iron confirmation of chronic stupidity. Biffo-bear
  • Score: 0

8:38pm Wed 2 May 12

Diannah says...

...and there you go again - trying to be derisive.

If my memory serves me right, isn't it said that God will show himself in the next life for Christians. In which case, how have you gained infinite knowledge to dispute this?
...and there you go again - trying to be derisive. If my memory serves me right, isn't it said that God will show himself in the next life for Christians. In which case, how have you gained infinite knowledge to dispute this? Diannah
  • Score: 0

9:14pm Wed 2 May 12

Biffo-bear says...

Ha ha ha! And Noddy says the teddy bears will have a picnic in the woods next week, betcha believe in that too! Laughable but sad that any sensible adult could fall for the god con.
Ha ha ha! And Noddy says the teddy bears will have a picnic in the woods next week, betcha believe in that too! Laughable but sad that any sensible adult could fall for the god con. Biffo-bear
  • Score: 0

9:28pm Wed 2 May 12

Diannah says...

It doesn't matter to me whether people believe in God or not. What I feel strongly about is that people should have the right to believe (or disbelieve) without derisive comments from narrow minded people.

And of course I don't believe that about the teddy bears - it is far too muddy in the woods to do anything at the moment. However, I do believe that elephants have big ears because Noddy wouldn't pay the ransom!
It doesn't matter to me whether people believe in God or not. What I feel strongly about is that people should have the right to believe (or disbelieve) without derisive comments from narrow minded people. And of course I don't believe that about the teddy bears - it is far too muddy in the woods to do anything at the moment. However, I do believe that elephants have big ears because Noddy wouldn't pay the ransom! Diannah
  • Score: 0

12:43am Thu 3 May 12

Biffo-bear says...

Ignorance does an awful lot of damage and right now, more than ever, mankind needs to be realistic, not putting our faith in silly gods.
Ignorance does an awful lot of damage and right now, more than ever, mankind needs to be realistic, not putting our faith in silly gods. Biffo-bear
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree