Bedford Hospital will use private organisation to handle blood tests

Echo: Bedford Hospital will use private organisation to handle Southend blood tests Bedford Hospital will use private organisation to handle Southend blood tests

 

A PATHOLOGY service in Bedford which is set to take Southend and Basildon blood tests is run by a semi-private company, it has been revealed.


Bedford Hospital pathology service is run by GSTS, a joint venture between Guy’s, St Thomas hospitals and Kings College hospitals and Serco, a Footsie 100 listed company.


GSTS, which has its own chief executive, is billed as one of the largest independent pathology organisations in the UK, conducting more than seven million tests a year, including blood, microbiology and genetics.


The Echo is fighting a move to remove GP samples from Southend and Basildon hospitals and send them nearly 90miles away for screening.
Many fear the Government lead move to centralise such services is a bid to privatise NHS services by the back door

.
One long serving Southend consultant says he fears it is a sign of things to come.
John Mellor, a consultant at Southend Hospital for more than 25 years, said the move will lead to an irreparable loss of local expertise and will be followed by other services.


He said: “I think it is inevitable that more services will follow. There has been talk in the past of sending X-ray reporting to India. A private company did suggest bringing in Indian reporting of films but consultants said they wouldn’t use it.


“It could easily be done but I want to know who is reporting my films. You get to know the psychology of a person who is regularly reporting your films.”


Dr Mellor added: “If blood and other tests are moved from local hospitals they will become little more than cottage hospitals. If I got something serious I wouldn’t want to be treated there. I would make sure I was transferred to a London hospital.”


Speaking after the announcement GSTS was to run Bedford’s pathology services in 2009, Kevin Cox, then managing director of GSTS, said: “Pathology in the UK is undergoing a period of profound change as a result of the clinical advances and new technologies, and we believe this partnership will help embrace these changes and improve service to patients in Bedford and the surrounding region.”


Norman Traub, secretary of the Southend branch of the Keep Our NHS Public and a retired consultant haematologist, said: “This is designed to privatise and fragment the NHS and this is part of the whole process.


“The system we have works very well. It has been developed over decades and has dedicated lab staff and millions of pounds of equipment.
“They are going to replace a service which was the best for southend with an inferior service in order to privatise and fragment the NHS.


“In the end we will have a US system of insurance and the NHS will be run down and used only by those who can’t afford health insurance.”
Bedford Hospital was asked for a response but did not supply one.


An Echo e-petition to keep blood services local now has nearly 4,000 signatures.
You can sign here http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/43260?ref=fetp

 

Comments (28)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:31pm Mon 21 Jan 13

GentleGiant says...

Surely this is even better now?

They sound a clued up organisation, which will give great service to our residents :)
Surely this is even better now? They sound a clued up organisation, which will give great service to our residents :) GentleGiant
  • Score: 0

2:39pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Shoebury_Cyclist says...

This more privatisation of the NHS by our unelected 'government'. One set of rules for the NHS, no rules for private health companies:

http://www.greenbenc
hesuk.com/2013/01/th
e-office-of-fair-tra
ding-is-being.html

As for you 'gentle giant', if you cannot comprehend that sending blood samples on an 80 mile trip through the busiest roads in the country - for possibly urgently required results, extending the time it takes to get those results by half a day, then I can only presume you have vested interest in the privatisation of the NHS. Or you are that useless tub of lard, James Duddridge.
This more privatisation of the NHS by our unelected 'government'. One set of rules for the NHS, no rules for private health companies: http://www.greenbenc hesuk.com/2013/01/th e-office-of-fair-tra ding-is-being.html As for you 'gentle giant', if you cannot comprehend that sending blood samples on an 80 mile trip through the busiest roads in the country - for possibly urgently required results, extending the time it takes to get those results by half a day, then I can only presume you have vested interest in the privatisation of the NHS. Or you are that useless tub of lard, James Duddridge. Shoebury_Cyclist
  • Score: 0

3:13pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Elephantman2 says...

GentleGiant wrote:
Surely this is even better now?

They sound a clued up organisation, which will give great service to our residents :)
I really do hope you are the first to croak due to the stupidity of this proposed change. You have not paid any attention to any of the posts or the comments by the professionals. This leads me to believe you are either a troll or a Jeremy Hunt.
[quote][p][bold]GentleGiant[/bold] wrote: Surely this is even better now? They sound a clued up organisation, which will give great service to our residents :)[/p][/quote]I really do hope you are the first to croak due to the stupidity of this proposed change. You have not paid any attention to any of the posts or the comments by the professionals. This leads me to believe you are either a troll or a Jeremy Hunt. Elephantman2
  • Score: 0

3:29pm Mon 21 Jan 13

GentleGiant says...

I find it incredible that some people on here (who are probably NHS union members) can't understand that if a blood test is deemed to be urgent, and life is at risk, then it would not be send to Bedford. Bloods will still be able to be tested in say the Southend area.

Routine blood tests will make no difference if they are sent to Bedford or Birmingham!

Why do some people have such blinkered views?

Can't all be labour supporters who think that Gordon Brown and Tony Blair were good for this country? LOL
I find it incredible that some people on here (who are probably NHS union members) can't understand that if a blood test is deemed to be urgent, and life is at risk, then it would not be send to Bedford. Bloods will still be able to be tested in say the Southend area. Routine blood tests will make no difference if they are sent to Bedford or Birmingham! Why do some people have such blinkered views? Can't all be labour supporters who think that Gordon Brown and Tony Blair were good for this country? LOL GentleGiant
  • Score: 0

3:40pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Shoebury_Cyclist says...

GentleGiant wrote:
I find it incredible that some people on here (who are probably NHS union members) can't understand that if a blood test is deemed to be urgent, and life is at risk, then it would not be send to Bedford. Bloods will still be able to be tested in say the Southend area.

Routine blood tests will make no difference if they are sent to Bedford or Birmingham!

Why do some people have such blinkered views?

Can't all be labour supporters who think that Gordon Brown and Tony Blair were good for this country? LOL
I find it incredible that you are too dim to comprehend the risk to life of this idiotic move. This is nothing less than tory ideology at the cost of patients lives.

When the first person dies because of this I will want to see James Duddridge's head on a plate.
[quote][p][bold]GentleGiant[/bold] wrote: I find it incredible that some people on here (who are probably NHS union members) can't understand that if a blood test is deemed to be urgent, and life is at risk, then it would not be send to Bedford. Bloods will still be able to be tested in say the Southend area. Routine blood tests will make no difference if they are sent to Bedford or Birmingham! Why do some people have such blinkered views? Can't all be labour supporters who think that Gordon Brown and Tony Blair were good for this country? LOL[/p][/quote]I find it incredible that you are too dim to comprehend the risk to life of this idiotic move. This is nothing less than tory ideology at the cost of patients lives. When the first person dies because of this I will want to see James Duddridge's head on a plate. Shoebury_Cyclist
  • Score: 0

4:19pm Mon 21 Jan 13

jolllyboy says...

It doesn't matter if urgent blood tests will still be done at Southend. It is OUR hospital and it should remain totally within OUR control and not faceless unknowns who have nothing to do with Southend and willhave their own agenda. What next - operations at Bedford and Harlow ?, consultations at Cambridge? We need centres of excellence at all venues not privatisation, that is what a general hospital is. This would be like going back to the Cottage Hospital where time is lost.
It doesn't matter if urgent blood tests will still be done at Southend. It is OUR hospital and it should remain totally within OUR control and not faceless unknowns who have nothing to do with Southend and willhave their own agenda. What next - operations at Bedford and Harlow ?, consultations at Cambridge? We need centres of excellence at all venues not privatisation, that is what a general hospital is. This would be like going back to the Cottage Hospital where time is lost. jolllyboy
  • Score: 0

4:23pm Mon 21 Jan 13

jayman says...

a profit will be scraped off the top. the money spent on blood services will not reflect the amount of work or time used to test the bloods sent.

the railways are a good example of why nothing should be privatised.

I work for a private care provider and i have noticed There is obscene amounts of money to be made from the ashes of the NHS. The Tories and the private healthcare providers are lighting the torches..
a profit will be scraped off the top. the money spent on blood services will not reflect the amount of work or time used to test the bloods sent. the railways are a good example of why nothing should be privatised. I work for a private care provider and i have noticed There is obscene amounts of money to be made from the ashes of the NHS. The Tories and the private healthcare providers are lighting the torches.. jayman
  • Score: 0

4:26pm Mon 21 Jan 13

GentleGiant says...

Rochford hospital was closed and services moved to Southend - this means local residents have to go further.

That is life I'm afraid.

You say operations at Bedford or Harlow?

Well for certain things yes - you have to go to specialist hospitals for burns or children or brain surgery, and people accept that.

Services are often not best to all be done locally.

Nobody is saying close Southend hospital - just move some of the services to where they are better handled.
Rochford hospital was closed and services moved to Southend - this means local residents have to go further. That is life I'm afraid. You say operations at Bedford or Harlow? Well for certain things yes - you have to go to specialist hospitals for burns or children or brain surgery, and people accept that. Services are often not best to all be done locally. Nobody is saying close Southend hospital - just move some of the services to where they are better handled. GentleGiant
  • Score: 0

4:29pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Little John says...

GentleGiant wrote:
I find it incredible that some people on here (who are probably NHS union members) can't understand that if a blood test is deemed to be urgent, and life is at risk, then it would not be send to Bedford. Bloods will still be able to be tested in say the Southend area.

Routine blood tests will make no difference if they are sent to Bedford or Birmingham!

Why do some people have such blinkered views?

Can't all be labour supporters who think that Gordon Brown and Tony Blair were good for this country? LOL
Hmm, GentleGiant. Thing is, there have been many stories in the last few weeks that report where routine blood tests have shown up life threatening illnesses that, because the tests are done locally at the moment, have resulted in the correct response from doctors in a short time frame. You are right, the vast majority of the tests are routine, but they are only routine if the test results are the results that were expected. What about the ‘routine’ tests that show up something more serious? Once you take the distance to Bedford via Harlow into account (further than the stated 88 miles BTW) and the fact that the busiest motorway in the UK if not Europe is the route to take, longer time delays for the tests are inevitable. This can only lead to unthinkable possibilities in some cases. Show me a Phlebotomist in this area that supports this new idea. There isn't one. This outcry is not about politics or trade unions. It’s about having a fast response to possible problems found quickly as a result of having blood testing locally.
[quote][p][bold]GentleGiant[/bold] wrote: I find it incredible that some people on here (who are probably NHS union members) can't understand that if a blood test is deemed to be urgent, and life is at risk, then it would not be send to Bedford. Bloods will still be able to be tested in say the Southend area. Routine blood tests will make no difference if they are sent to Bedford or Birmingham! Why do some people have such blinkered views? Can't all be labour supporters who think that Gordon Brown and Tony Blair were good for this country? LOL[/p][/quote]Hmm, GentleGiant. Thing is, there have been many stories in the last few weeks that report where routine blood tests have shown up life threatening illnesses that, because the tests are done locally at the moment, have resulted in the correct response from doctors in a short time frame. You are right, the vast majority of the tests are routine, but they are only routine if the test results are the results that were expected. What about the ‘routine’ tests that show up something more serious? Once you take the distance to Bedford via Harlow into account (further than the stated 88 miles BTW) and the fact that the busiest motorway in the UK if not Europe is the route to take, longer time delays for the tests are inevitable. This can only lead to unthinkable possibilities in some cases. Show me a Phlebotomist in this area that supports this new idea. There isn't one. This outcry is not about politics or trade unions. It’s about having a fast response to possible problems found quickly as a result of having blood testing locally. Little John
  • Score: 0

4:31pm Mon 21 Jan 13

GentleGiant says...

Shoebury_Cyclist wrote:
GentleGiant wrote:
I find it incredible that some people on here (who are probably NHS union members) can't understand that if a blood test is deemed to be urgent, and life is at risk, then it would not be send to Bedford. Bloods will still be able to be tested in say the Southend area.

Routine blood tests will make no difference if they are sent to Bedford or Birmingham!

Why do some people have such blinkered views?

Can't all be labour supporters who think that Gordon Brown and Tony Blair were good for this country? LOL
I find it incredible that you are too dim to comprehend the risk to life of this idiotic move. This is nothing less than tory ideology at the cost of patients lives.

When the first person dies because of this I will want to see James Duddridge's head on a plate.
What a rather pathetic answer - speaks volumes for the author of the post.
[quote][p][bold]Shoebury_Cyclist[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GentleGiant[/bold] wrote: I find it incredible that some people on here (who are probably NHS union members) can't understand that if a blood test is deemed to be urgent, and life is at risk, then it would not be send to Bedford. Bloods will still be able to be tested in say the Southend area. Routine blood tests will make no difference if they are sent to Bedford or Birmingham! Why do some people have such blinkered views? Can't all be labour supporters who think that Gordon Brown and Tony Blair were good for this country? LOL[/p][/quote]I find it incredible that you are too dim to comprehend the risk to life of this idiotic move. This is nothing less than tory ideology at the cost of patients lives. When the first person dies because of this I will want to see James Duddridge's head on a plate.[/p][/quote]What a rather pathetic answer - speaks volumes for the author of the post. GentleGiant
  • Score: 0

4:33pm Mon 21 Jan 13

mauwoman says...

In response to Gentlegiant, many blood tests are only found to be urgent when the results are available and then need a qualified professional to discuss them with the GP.
In response to Gentlegiant, many blood tests are only found to be urgent when the results are available and then need a qualified professional to discuss them with the GP. mauwoman
  • Score: 0

4:54pm Mon 21 Jan 13

badgerlemerre says...

'Footsie'? Yet more quality copywriting there from The Echo!
'Footsie'? Yet more quality copywriting there from The Echo! badgerlemerre
  • Score: 0

5:03pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Hannah Foster says...

GentleGiant wrote:
Surely this is even better now?

They sound a clued up organisation, which will give great service to our residents :)
If you believe that you will believe anything. It's only a matter of time before computer glitches, transport problems and late results cause real harm. This is yet another sad sign of the pitfalls of out sourcing. Loss of service levels, loss of local jobs, what a sad day.
[quote][p][bold]GentleGiant[/bold] wrote: Surely this is even better now? They sound a clued up organisation, which will give great service to our residents :)[/p][/quote]If you believe that you will believe anything. It's only a matter of time before computer glitches, transport problems and late results cause real harm. This is yet another sad sign of the pitfalls of out sourcing. Loss of service levels, loss of local jobs, what a sad day. Hannah Foster
  • Score: 0

5:03pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Shoebury_Cyclist says...

GentleGiant wrote:
Shoebury_Cyclist wrote:
GentleGiant wrote:
I find it incredible that some people on here (who are probably NHS union members) can't understand that if a blood test is deemed to be urgent, and life is at risk, then it would not be send to Bedford. Bloods will still be able to be tested in say the Southend area.

Routine blood tests will make no difference if they are sent to Bedford or Birmingham!

Why do some people have such blinkered views?

Can't all be labour supporters who think that Gordon Brown and Tony Blair were good for this country? LOL
I find it incredible that you are too dim to comprehend the risk to life of this idiotic move. This is nothing less than tory ideology at the cost of patients lives.

When the first person dies because of this I will want to see James Duddridge's head on a plate.
What a rather pathetic answer - speaks volumes for the author of the post.
And your responses speak volumes about you and your self-centred, greed oriented, money before life principles.
[quote][p][bold]GentleGiant[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoebury_Cyclist[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GentleGiant[/bold] wrote: I find it incredible that some people on here (who are probably NHS union members) can't understand that if a blood test is deemed to be urgent, and life is at risk, then it would not be send to Bedford. Bloods will still be able to be tested in say the Southend area. Routine blood tests will make no difference if they are sent to Bedford or Birmingham! Why do some people have such blinkered views? Can't all be labour supporters who think that Gordon Brown and Tony Blair were good for this country? LOL[/p][/quote]I find it incredible that you are too dim to comprehend the risk to life of this idiotic move. This is nothing less than tory ideology at the cost of patients lives. When the first person dies because of this I will want to see James Duddridge's head on a plate.[/p][/quote]What a rather pathetic answer - speaks volumes for the author of the post.[/p][/quote]And your responses speak volumes about you and your self-centred, greed oriented, money before life principles. Shoebury_Cyclist
  • Score: 0

5:08pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Hannah Foster says...

GentleGiant wrote:
I find it incredible that some people on here (who are probably NHS union members) can't understand that if a blood test is deemed to be urgent, and life is at risk, then it would not be send to Bedford. Bloods will still be able to be tested in say the Southend area.

Routine blood tests will make no difference if they are sent to Bedford or Birmingham!

Why do some people have such blinkered views?

Can't all be labour supporters who think that Gordon Brown and Tony Blair were good for this country? LOL
Because why send blood samples down the motorway and pay a private company to do something that we already do very well locally. Just like the care homes, benefit assessment services etc/.... Private companies only care about one thing PROFIT! And I do not work for the government, NHS or other interested party. I am just passionate about the area that I call home.
[quote][p][bold]GentleGiant[/bold] wrote: I find it incredible that some people on here (who are probably NHS union members) can't understand that if a blood test is deemed to be urgent, and life is at risk, then it would not be send to Bedford. Bloods will still be able to be tested in say the Southend area. Routine blood tests will make no difference if they are sent to Bedford or Birmingham! Why do some people have such blinkered views? Can't all be labour supporters who think that Gordon Brown and Tony Blair were good for this country? LOL[/p][/quote]Because why send blood samples down the motorway and pay a private company to do something that we already do very well locally. Just like the care homes, benefit assessment services etc/.... Private companies only care about one thing PROFIT! And I do not work for the government, NHS or other interested party. I am just passionate about the area that I call home. Hannah Foster
  • Score: 0

5:12pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Hannah Foster says...

GentleGiant wrote:
Rochford hospital was closed and services moved to Southend - this means local residents have to go further.

That is life I'm afraid.

You say operations at Bedford or Harlow?

Well for certain things yes - you have to go to specialist hospitals for burns or children or brain surgery, and people accept that.

Services are often not best to all be done locally.

Nobody is saying close Southend hospital - just move some of the services to where they are better handled.
You are a fool. Ask anyone with cancer whether they want to travel miles for regular treatment. Whether relatives can afford to travel to visit sick patients. Thanks to the vile conservatives our hospitals will end up run into the ground. All we will end up with are wards full of geriatrics and dementia patients because they don't make much money for the private companies as we have found out to our cost with the recent care home debacle. Open your eyes and realise that we need good quality local resources.in all areas of society.
[quote][p][bold]GentleGiant[/bold] wrote: Rochford hospital was closed and services moved to Southend - this means local residents have to go further. That is life I'm afraid. You say operations at Bedford or Harlow? Well for certain things yes - you have to go to specialist hospitals for burns or children or brain surgery, and people accept that. Services are often not best to all be done locally. Nobody is saying close Southend hospital - just move some of the services to where they are better handled.[/p][/quote]You are a fool. Ask anyone with cancer whether they want to travel miles for regular treatment. Whether relatives can afford to travel to visit sick patients. Thanks to the vile conservatives our hospitals will end up run into the ground. All we will end up with are wards full of geriatrics and dementia patients because they don't make much money for the private companies as we have found out to our cost with the recent care home debacle. Open your eyes and realise that we need good quality local resources.in all areas of society. Hannah Foster
  • Score: 0

5:37pm Mon 21 Jan 13

GentleGiant says...

What a shame so many are taken in by propaganda. Probably left wing propaganda at that.

Probably the same ones who vote Labour thinking they have the interest of the voter at heart.

Ask Labour why they wasted so much money during their time in power. If they had done a better job, then maybe our NHS would not now need saving via pruning of services such as this.
What a shame so many are taken in by propaganda. Probably left wing propaganda at that. Probably the same ones who vote Labour thinking they have the interest of the voter at heart. Ask Labour why they wasted so much money during their time in power. If they had done a better job, then maybe our NHS would not now need saving via pruning of services such as this. GentleGiant
  • Score: 0

6:31pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Hannah Foster says...

GentleGiant wrote:
What a shame so many are taken in by propaganda. Probably left wing propaganda at that.

Probably the same ones who vote Labour thinking they have the interest of the voter at heart.

Ask Labour why they wasted so much money during their time in power. If they had done a better job, then maybe our NHS would not now need saving via pruning of services such as this.
It's the propaganda of the conservatives that has let people believe that the country is in such as state. I believe it was the case at the end of the Second World War that in real terms the financial deficit was greater than it is now. What did they do then? They invested in public services, NHS care for all from cradle to grave, social housing, new towns. They got people working, gave them decent housing and employment. The result was a generation of people that had everything that the conservatives claim is not an option for the up and coming generation. The same conservatives that under Maggie closed the North of England for business, privatised everything that they could get their hands on and now have to pick up the pieces for through taxes. I am thinking of the railways in particular but there are plenty of examples. At least with public services the people have have accountability, yes they pay taxes but a democratically elected government are accountable. Privatisation means no accountability (other than to the shareholders), government can and do say, "not our problem" we aren't responsible for this that or the other and we all end up the worse for it. Labour may not get it right all the time but the conservatives are criminals lining their own pockets, covering their own backs and arrogantly assuming that they have the right to rule. Anyone who is taken in by them deserves all that they get. And the greedy toffs are laughing from their country estates and ski chalets.
[quote][p][bold]GentleGiant[/bold] wrote: What a shame so many are taken in by propaganda. Probably left wing propaganda at that. Probably the same ones who vote Labour thinking they have the interest of the voter at heart. Ask Labour why they wasted so much money during their time in power. If they had done a better job, then maybe our NHS would not now need saving via pruning of services such as this.[/p][/quote]It's the propaganda of the conservatives that has let people believe that the country is in such as state. I believe it was the case at the end of the Second World War that in real terms the financial deficit was greater than it is now. What did they do then? They invested in public services, NHS care for all from cradle to grave, social housing, new towns. They got people working, gave them decent housing and employment. The result was a generation of people that had everything that the conservatives claim is not an option for the up and coming generation. The same conservatives that under Maggie closed the North of England for business, privatised everything that they could get their hands on and now have to pick up the pieces for through taxes. I am thinking of the railways in particular but there are plenty of examples. At least with public services the people have have accountability, yes they pay taxes but a democratically elected government are accountable. Privatisation means no accountability (other than to the shareholders), government can and do say, "not our problem" we aren't responsible for this that or the other and we all end up the worse for it. Labour may not get it right all the time but the conservatives are criminals lining their own pockets, covering their own backs and arrogantly assuming that they have the right to rule. Anyone who is taken in by them deserves all that they get. And the greedy toffs are laughing from their country estates and ski chalets. Hannah Foster
  • Score: 0

9:34pm Mon 21 Jan 13

GentleGiant says...

Same old labour lies and nonsense.

Some of you have a lot to learn....
Same old labour lies and nonsense. Some of you have a lot to learn.... GentleGiant
  • Score: 0

11:53pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Devils Advocate says...

GentleGiant:
One thing I knew before it was printed on this paper. There would be privatisation involved in the Tory idea. It would mean, as with every other right-wing idea, that there was a place that people of that mind can "Invest" some of their millions and then watch as the pile they own grows steadily higher.
"Same old lies and nonsense?"
Labour gave us the National health service, and for well over 60 years it has kept millions in health, and continues to do so. The only damage done to the service has been by the right-wing ravers "fine tuning it"
This country is in the state it is because of the little industry that we did have has been taken to countries where the labour force is paid less than a living wage, removing work from people who have given their all for this country. How dare you speak ill of the british people like you do!
Labour lies? Go back to the South sea bubble and then come forward and see if you can find one year that is not full or Tory lies, way before there even was a labour party. Sadly so many of those lies cost millions of lives. Suppression of the working people has helped our leaders become obscenely rich. Trades unions were formed because of the fact that your lot were having 9 course meals as a matter of course whilst the people using their hands to make that wealth were not being paid enough to have dinner every day.
Your biggest con job at the moment is "Broken Britain" because you think you can fool us all. But people are getting wise to you and what you are doing.
GentleGiant: One thing I knew before it was printed on this paper. There would be privatisation involved in the Tory idea. It would mean, as with every other right-wing idea, that there was a place that people of that mind can "Invest" some of their millions and then watch as the pile they own grows steadily higher. "Same old lies and nonsense?" Labour gave us the National health service, and for well over 60 years it has kept millions in health, and continues to do so. The only damage done to the service has been by the right-wing ravers "fine tuning it" This country is in the state it is because of the little industry that we did have has been taken to countries where the labour force is paid less than a living wage, removing work from people who have given their all for this country. How dare you speak ill of the british people like you do! Labour lies? Go back to the South sea bubble and then come forward and see if you can find one year that is not full or Tory lies, way before there even was a labour party. Sadly so many of those lies cost millions of lives. Suppression of the working people has helped our leaders become obscenely rich. Trades unions were formed because of the fact that your lot were having 9 course meals as a matter of course whilst the people using their hands to make that wealth were not being paid enough to have dinner every day. Your biggest con job at the moment is "Broken Britain" because you think you can fool us all. But people are getting wise to you and what you are doing. Devils Advocate
  • Score: 0

12:08am Tue 22 Jan 13

jayman says...

http://en.wikipedia.
org/wiki/Poor_Law_Am
endment_Act_1834

the Tory party manifesto without the PR.

enjoy :)
http://en.wikipedia. org/wiki/Poor_Law_Am endment_Act_1834 the Tory party manifesto without the PR. enjoy :) jayman
  • Score: 0

12:13am Tue 22 Jan 13

jayman says...

do you remember the Tories doing this when DC came to power..

http://www.bbc.co.uk
/news/uk-11833241

well read this

(Utilitarianism)

from

http://en.wikipedia.

org/wiki/Poor_Law_Am

endment_Act_1834

:)
do you remember the Tories doing this when DC came to power.. http://www.bbc.co.uk /news/uk-11833241 well read this (Utilitarianism) from http://en.wikipedia. org/wiki/Poor_Law_Am endment_Act_1834 :) jayman
  • Score: 0

12:33am Tue 22 Jan 13

Devils Advocate says...

My God! In simplistic terms, Same old Same old!!!
My God! In simplistic terms, Same old Same old!!! Devils Advocate
  • Score: 0

1:13am Tue 22 Jan 13

jayman says...

Devils Advocate wrote:
My God! In simplistic terms, Same old Same old!!!
(Utilitarianism)

Bentham's argument that people chose pleasant options and would not do what was unpleasant provided a rationale for making relief unpleasant so that people would not claim it, "stigmatising" relief so that it became "an object of wholesome horror

yep!
[quote][p][bold]Devils Advocate[/bold] wrote: My God! In simplistic terms, Same old Same old!!![/p][/quote](Utilitarianism) Bentham's argument that people chose pleasant options and would not do what was unpleasant provided a rationale for making relief unpleasant so that people would not claim it, "stigmatising" relief so that it became "an object of wholesome horror yep! jayman
  • Score: 0

1:30pm Tue 22 Jan 13

Devils Advocate says...

jayman wrote:
Devils Advocate wrote:
My God! In simplistic terms, Same old Same old!!!
(Utilitarianism)

Bentham's argument that people chose pleasant options and would not do what was unpleasant provided a rationale for making relief unpleasant so that people would not claim it, "stigmatising" relief so that it became "an object of wholesome horror

yep!
Yes, of course you are right. This is the paranoia that flowers from the super-rich. If you have more than anyone else, then you know that everybody is looking to take your money away from you personally. Especially if you know the history of how the rich achieved that status in a land of homestead farmers!
This makes it easy to see why certain sectors of our community will not allow euthanasia at any cost. Fear that they will lose their life because of the obscene greed.
[quote][p][bold]jayman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Devils Advocate[/bold] wrote: My God! In simplistic terms, Same old Same old!!![/p][/quote](Utilitarianism) Bentham's argument that people chose pleasant options and would not do what was unpleasant provided a rationale for making relief unpleasant so that people would not claim it, "stigmatising" relief so that it became "an object of wholesome horror yep![/p][/quote]Yes, of course you are right. This is the paranoia that flowers from the super-rich. If you have more than anyone else, then you know that everybody is looking to take your money away from you personally. Especially if you know the history of how the rich achieved that status in a land of homestead farmers! This makes it easy to see why certain sectors of our community will not allow euthanasia at any cost. Fear that they will lose their life because of the obscene greed. Devils Advocate
  • Score: 0

3:48pm Tue 22 Jan 13

whataday says...

GentleGiant wrote:
What a shame so many are taken in by propaganda. Probably left wing propaganda at that.

Probably the same ones who vote Labour thinking they have the interest of the voter at heart.

Ask Labour why they wasted so much money during their time in power. If they had done a better job, then maybe our NHS would not now need saving via pruning of services such as this.
You have obviously never worked in the NHS nor have an understanding of it. Privatisation isn't always best - look at the state of the wards, corridors A&E depts. etc where the cleaning has been contracted out to Private companies who then expect their employees to be able to clean properly in half the time it should take (because they want to make profit), The nursing staff aren't in control of ward cleanliness like they were before privatisation of domestic staff so have little say and look at the rise in infections. Look at the quality of meals where the catering has been farmed out to private companies (less choice, not always best quality produce and smaller portions - because they want to make profit).
And you stick your head in the sand and think the haematology service will improve because its privatised. You must be blinkered, crazy or a shareholder if you think privatisation of essential parts of the NHS will improve the quality of care provided by the NHS
[quote][p][bold]GentleGiant[/bold] wrote: What a shame so many are taken in by propaganda. Probably left wing propaganda at that. Probably the same ones who vote Labour thinking they have the interest of the voter at heart. Ask Labour why they wasted so much money during their time in power. If they had done a better job, then maybe our NHS would not now need saving via pruning of services such as this.[/p][/quote]You have obviously never worked in the NHS nor have an understanding of it. Privatisation isn't always best - look at the state of the wards, corridors A&E depts. etc where the cleaning has been contracted out to Private companies who then expect their employees to be able to clean properly in half the time it should take (because they want to make profit), The nursing staff aren't in control of ward cleanliness like they were before privatisation of domestic staff so have little say and look at the rise in infections. Look at the quality of meals where the catering has been farmed out to private companies (less choice, not always best quality produce and smaller portions - because they want to make profit). And you stick your head in the sand and think the haematology service will improve because its privatised. You must be blinkered, crazy or a shareholder if you think privatisation of essential parts of the NHS will improve the quality of care provided by the NHS whataday
  • Score: 0

5:40pm Tue 22 Jan 13

Devils Advocate says...

GentleGiant wrote:
I find it incredible that some people on here (who are probably NHS union members) can't understand that if a blood test is deemed to be urgent, and life is at risk, then it would not be send to Bedford. Bloods will still be able to be tested in say the Southend area.

Routine blood tests will make no difference if they are sent to Bedford or Birmingham!

Why do some people have such blinkered views?

Can't all be labour supporters who think that Gordon Brown and Tony Blair were good for this country? LOL
I think perhaps the one who is taken in by his own propaganda is you. You seriously doubt the intelligence of the English people if you think you can spend the rest of the time that this mob are in power blaming the Labour party, whilst everybody is aware that we are NOT in this together. Most of the old money people are now richer that they have been throughout modern history.
WHATADAY has said what every rational thinking person in the land knows. The Tories have wrecked the National health and as always, are hell-bent on bringing in a system that benefits shareholders, not patients.
It seems incredible that a service that was the best in the world and free at point of service is now this wreck we all see, riddles with death causing diseases purely because we privatised the cleanliness.

The only worrying thing is will the rich do their usual and shift money out of Britain if their lapdog party is not in power?
[quote][p][bold]GentleGiant[/bold] wrote: I find it incredible that some people on here (who are probably NHS union members) can't understand that if a blood test is deemed to be urgent, and life is at risk, then it would not be send to Bedford. Bloods will still be able to be tested in say the Southend area. Routine blood tests will make no difference if they are sent to Bedford or Birmingham! Why do some people have such blinkered views? Can't all be labour supporters who think that Gordon Brown and Tony Blair were good for this country? LOL[/p][/quote]I think perhaps the one who is taken in by his own propaganda is you. You seriously doubt the intelligence of the English people if you think you can spend the rest of the time that this mob are in power blaming the Labour party, whilst everybody is aware that we are NOT in this together. Most of the old money people are now richer that they have been throughout modern history. WHATADAY has said what every rational thinking person in the land knows. The Tories have wrecked the National health and as always, are hell-bent on bringing in a system that benefits shareholders, not patients. It seems incredible that a service that was the best in the world and free at point of service is now this wreck we all see, riddles with death causing diseases purely because we privatised the cleanliness. The only worrying thing is will the rich do their usual and shift money out of Britain if their lapdog party is not in power? Devils Advocate
  • Score: 0

7:00pm Tue 22 Jan 13

cgb says...

Back to the subject
Sending these blood tests away for analysis will be disastrous.
Unexpected abnormal result or results worse than expected will take longer to be found and may be available once the GP has closed. I suspect the patient will get a phone call 'go to A&E' where it's already busy. And also you need to realise A&E will not have access to the abnormal result and will have to delay things further by repeating the test before being able to treat.
Sign the petition now...and whilst your at it why not write to your MP asking them to declare what financial interests they have in private medical companies. Labour and Tories- I suspect they're all in it the same
Back to the subject Sending these blood tests away for analysis will be disastrous. Unexpected abnormal result or results worse than expected will take longer to be found and may be available once the GP has closed. I suspect the patient will get a phone call 'go to A&E' where it's already busy. And also you need to realise A&E will not have access to the abnormal result and will have to delay things further by repeating the test before being able to treat. Sign the petition now...and whilst your at it why not write to your MP asking them to declare what financial interests they have in private medical companies. Labour and Tories- I suspect they're all in it the same cgb
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree