Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECHONEWS to 80360, or email us »
4:00pm Wednesday 5th September 2012
JONTY Clarke was in Southend on Saturday to celebrate his former club’s opening of their new £150,000 artificial grass pitch.
2:00pm Wednesday 5th September 2012
GREAT Britain hockey star Jonty Clarke is considering his future in the sport following his disappointment at missing out on an Olympic medal.
1:54pm Wednesday 5th September 2012
ANNA Sharkey’s Paralympic goalball dream ended this afternoon as Great Britain were knocked out on a golden goal by Sweden.
Just a few years ago, Craig Jackson went to hospital to say goodbye to his brother Robin Womack – now he has watched him win a bronze medal at the Paralympic Games
10:42am Wednesday 5th September 2012
CRAIG Jackson insisted he could not have been any prouder after seeing his brother Robin Womack win a bronze medal in front of 80,000 fans at the Olympic Stadium in Stratford.
10:09am Tuesday 4th September 2012
ANNA Sharkey and her GB goalball team-mates booked their place in the quarter-finals and got the royal seal of approval in the process.
- In 2012, London will become the first city to host the Olympics three times.
- The Olympics were last held in London in 1948, and were known as 'Games of the XIV Olympiad'
- The swimming events were first held undercover at the previous London Olympics.
- Croydon resident Dorothy Tyler won a silver medal in the high jump at the 1948 games.
- In 1948 Great Britain won just 3 gold medals - despite having more participants than any other country.
- The total cost for the Olympic Games and the regeneration of east London has been estimated at over £9 billion.