CRAIG Easton faces his former Southend United side for the first time since his controversial departure this weekend, insisting he holds no grudges against Blues.
Easton, who is now with Torquay United, captained Paul Sturrock’s team during the 2010/11 season.
But, at the end of that campaign, the midfielder was offered reduced wages to stay at Roots Hall.
And he remains disappointed by how his time with the club came to an end.
“It was a debacle to be honest and I thought what they offered me to stay was embarrassing after what I’d given to the club while I was there,” said Easton, 33.
“They gave me a contract which was 25 per cent less than what I was previously on and there was no room for negotiation either.
“Because I enjoyed it at the club and my wife enjoyed living in the area I offered to take a small reduction to stay.
“But that was turned down and it really disappointed me.
“That’s football though and I’ve moved on since then and I’m looking to do well for Torquay.
“What’s happened doesn’t want me to beat Southend any more or anything like that and I don’t hold any grudges.
“I actually loved my time at the club and thought we did really well during the season I had there as we were a completely new side.
“However, things change quickly in football and I’m glad to be back playing again with Torquay.”
Easton made 38 appearances while with Blues and eventually opted to join Dunfermline after leaving the League Two side.
But injuries restricted him to just three outings with the Pars before he struggled to find another new club.
“Last season was just a complete nightmare for me,” said Easton.
“Because of leaving Southend late I didn’t have many options and ended up joining Dunfermline which didn’t really work out.
“I only signed for six months and was injured when my deal expired.
“It was a tough time but when the chance to join Torquay came up I jumped at it and I’m enjoying working with Martin Ling again because he also signed me for Leyton Orient.”
FULL STORY IN WEDNESDAY'S ECHO