GREAT Wakering moved to within three points of Essex Senior League leaders Burnham Ramblers today with a deserved 2-0 win at home to Sawbridgeworth Town.

Rovers gradually took control of a scrappy game and sealed the win with a poacher's finish from Danny Heale and a late penalty from Jimmy Webb.

It allowed Dan Trenkel's side to close the gap on Ramblers, who saw their game at home to Southend Manor postponed because of the freezing weather.

Sawbo were first to threaten on five minutes as George Wappitt's cross-cum-shot was nervously put behind, and the resulting corner was headed wide by the arriving Will Green.

Rovers took control but it was the visitors who fashioned the next attempt on goal midway through the half as Nathan Fletcher fouled Tom Whitbred, and Lewis Cooper curled the resulting free-kick into the side netting.

Rovers' first clear sights of goal came 10 minutes before the break as Jimmy Webb hit a hurried first-time shot wide, and then right back Max Kent got forward to side-foot Dan Williams' low cross past the post.

And soon after the free-scoring David Collins forced Jamie Ring to parry his low curler from distance.

The hosts squandered a glorious chance to take the lead on the stroke of half time as some neat trickery from Webb on the left and a sumptuous cross was steered wide from about a yard out by Williams when the ball fell at his feet suddenly.

Rovers picked up where they'd left off after the restart with Collins making a lovely connection with a shot from 25 yards which forced Ring to gather to his left.

Danny Heale dropped his shoulder to create space and had a shot turned around the post, before the striker - who's at Rovers on a dual registration from Canvey - gave the hosts the lead.

It came after a spell of sustained pressure from the hosts which ended with Collins' low shot being blocked, and Heale poking the ball home from close range.

Soon after Webb created space and flashed a good chance over to underline Rovers' dominance.

Quite how they didn't make it 2-0 on 74 minutes is anyone's guess: the highlights of a bombardment were Ty Benjamin's shot against the face of the bar, and Collins' fizzer from distance just over.

And they were profligate again in the closing stages as Benjamin's raking ball gave Webb a run at goal and he did everything right until blazing high and wide.

But they did get the second goal they deserved in injury time as Michael Barker fouled sub Jack Gardner just inside the box, and Webb dispatched the spot kick into the top corner.

Great Wakering (4-4-2): Godwin-Green; Kent, Fletcher, Sparrow, Gibson; Webb, Collins, Levett (Trenkel 62), Benjamin; Heale, Williams (Gardner 46).

Echo MOM: David Collins (Great Wakering Rovers).