SOUTHEND United’s winless streak was extended to nine matches with a 1-1 draw against Wycombe Wanderers at Roots Hall this afternoon.

Blues went in front when Barry Corr headed home a right wing corner from Kevan Hurst.

But Phil Brown’s side were forced to settle for a frustrating share of the spoils when Paris Cowan-Hall’s long range shot struck the crossbar before hitting the back of Bentley and rolling back in to the net.

The first half was far less eventful but Hurst almost put the Shrimpers in to an early lead when he volleyed just inches over the crossbar from the edge of the penalty area before Anthony Straker headed a deep Hurst cross straight at Wycombe goalkeeper Matt Ingram.

Moments later, Ryan Leonard’s long range shot was tipped wide of the right post by Ingram.

But, having survived the scares, Wycombe then almost took the lead in the 40th minute when Anthony Stewart’s powerful close range header from Max Kretzschmar’s right wing corner was superbly saved by Daniel Bentley.

Yet, just a minute later, the Shrimpers thought they had taken the lead when Corr headed home an inswinging free-kick from Ben Coker only for the effort to be ruled out for offside.

At the start of the second half, Straker headed another Hurst cross straight at Ingram before the winger sent a snap shot inches wide of the right post on the hour mark.

However, with 63 minutes on the clock, Blues finally broke the deadlock when Hurst’s right wing corner was met at the near post by Barry Corr who headed home his eighth goal of the season.

But the home-side were in front for just seven minutes as Wycombe drew back level in fortuitous circumstances when a powerful 25 yard shot from substitute Paris Cowan-Hall struck the underside of the crossbar before hitting the back of Bentley and rolling back over the goal-line.

In a bid to get back in front, Blues made their first change of the game in the 80th minute with Jack Payne coming on for Will Atkinson but it was Wycombe who nearly netted next as one of their own replacements, Dean Morgan, had a shot tipped wide of the left post by Bentley.

And that meant that game ended all square as the Shrimpers’ frustrations continued.