SOUTHEND United’s alarming slump in form continued with a 2-1 defeat at Morecambe this afternoon.

The Shrimps had not won since Boxing Day but were still able to recover from going a goal down to see off Phil Brown’s side.

And, as a result, the struggling Shrimpers have now not triumphed in their last 10 games.

However, Blues were initially on top at the Globe Arena and went in front after just nine minutes when Kevan Hurst’s inswinging cross from the left hand side was headed in to the top left hand corner of the net from 12 yards by Ryan Leonard.

Moments later, Hurst cut in off the right flank before sending a left footed shot inches over the crossbar.

But Morecambe drew back level with goal out of nothing in the 29th minute of the match when Shrimpers goalkeeper Daniel Bentley failed to claim a long ball forward from Mark Hughes, enabling Kevin Ellison to nip in and score with an excellent finish from a narrow angle.

Blues attempted to hit back and almost went back in front when Hurst’s left wing cross was deflected in to the path of Anthony Straker who failed to control the ball inside the six yard box before Chris McCready’s attempted clearance struck Barry Corr before flying wide of the left post.

The Shrimpers then also came close to retaking the lead on the stroke of half time when Leonard’s well struck shot from 25 yards was tipped wide of the left post by Roche.

However, at the start of the second half, Morecambe were on top with Padraig Amond having a close range shot blocked the outstretched leg of Bentley.

Blues responded by making their first change of the game in the 51st minute as Conor Clifford came on to replace Michael Timlin in the midfield and, nine minutes later, Lee Barnard coming on for Will Atkinson.

It was still Morecambe who threatened next though with Ellison sending a 12 yard volley inches wide of the right post and, in the 70th minute, the Shrimps went in front following a well constructed counter attack.

Goalkeeper Roche started the move by throwing the ball out to right-back Shaun Beeley who charged down the right hand side and worked his way past Clifford before teeing up substitute Jack Redshaw who stroked a low, 12 yard shot in to the bottom right hand corner of the net.

Blues responded by making their final change which saw Marc Laird coming on for Leonard but they never looked like netting an equaliser as their woeful run of results continued.