AFC Wimbledon striker Jack Midson returned to haunt his former Southend United side by bagging the only goal of the game in a disappointing 1-0 defeat for the Shrimpers at Roots Hall this afternoon.

The ex Shrimpers loanee fired home a 58th minute penalty.

And that ended a run of three successive victories for Phil Brown’s play-off pushing side.

After a quiet start to the game it was the Dons who came close to scoring in the 16th minute as striker Kwesi Appiah saw his well struck 10 yard shot superbly saved low down to his right hand side by Shrimpers goalkeeper Daniel Bentley.

Moments later and, with play switching back to the other end of the field, Jamar Loza saw a scuffed low shot kept out by visiting custodian Ross Worner.

Wimbledon soon hit back with Darren Jones heading a left wing free-kick from George Francomb just inches over the crossbar.

But, in the 32nd minute, Blues also came close to opening the scoring when an instinctive volley from Jamar Loza was parried to safety by Worner.

However, after surviving the scare, the visitors took the lead in the 58th minute with Midson firing home from the penalty spot.

The spot kick was awarded after John Egan brought down Appiah inside the area and that enabled Midson to stroke home a weak penalty which somehow squeezed just under Bentley’s body.

Blues boss Phil Brown immediately responded with a double change as Jacob Murphy replaced Will Atkinson on the left flank and Barry Corr came on for Lee Barnard in attack.

Shortly after the changes, Ryan Leonard sent a well struck half volley flashing across the face of goal.

Brown then made his final change in the 69th minute as Freddy Eastwood replaced the out of sorts Ben Coker and Blues soon almost drew back level when a screaming long range shot from Egan was tipped wide of the left post by Worner.

Corr then sent an instinctive header just wide of the left post but Blues were unable to bag a late leveller as their promotion hopes suffered a serious and shock setback.