Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECHONEWS to 80360, or email us »
Concord's rearranged clash against Ebbsfleet will be free for fans
12:03pm Thursday 17th April 2014 in Sport
CONCORD’S abandoned home game with Ebbsfleet – scrapped in the 53rd minute on Tuesday night when the Beachboys were 2-0 down – will be replayed on Thursday April 24.
And the match will be free to fans which is bound to bring in a big crowd at the Aspects Stadium. The Beachboys’ press officer Jack Smith was frustrated when a local power cut meant two of the floodlights failed.
He contacted electricity supplier UK Power Networks and was told they could not get somebody out to fix the problem.
He said: “We felt for Ebbsfleet.
“We had a similar thing against Ware when we were going to promotion at their place and in the return match we drew.
“It was unlucky for Ebbsfleet because if the match had made it to 80 minutes then the score would have stood.
“But the company said that they had lost an L3 phase at the ground and they have promised to fix this.
“We’ll be getting a new transformer for the ground.
“We’ve got plenty of work about to start here this summer as we’re doing building work to improve the changing rooms and manager’s office and the power supply improvement will be dovetailed to coincide with this as.
“The power upgrade will see the overhead lines replaced by ones coming in via trenches, so things should get much better.
“At present we are trying to balance out the loading and make sure it all works.
“Some of the systems here have not been replaced since 1991, so the work’s overdue.”
Goals from Ben May in the 14th minute and a superb strike from Daryl Mahon just after half time put Ebbsfleet 2-0 up on Tuesday.
But the visitors had been reduced to 10 men after Michael Corcoran was sent off for a dangerous challenge just before the lights went out.