MYLES Weston bagged a brace to secure Southend United a 3-1 win at Billericay Town in their latest pre-season friendly tonight.

Weston scored twice inside the opening half an hour and was joined on the score-sheet by Kevan Hurst as Blues came out on top at New Lodge.

Weston, who joined on a free transfer after being released by Gillingham at the end of last season, has now scored three times in his first two games for the Shrimpers.

He lined up in a central striking position alongside Barry Corr and the Irishman thought he had headed the visitors in front after just three minutes only for the effort to be ruled out for offside.

Moments later, Billericay's sought after striker Isaac Layne saw a well struck low shot parried out by Blues goalkeeper Paul Smith and Rowan Liburd's follow up effort was cleared off the line by Ben Coker.

Southend almost immediately made the most of the let-off with Weston charging through on goal, only to miscontroll the ball.

But the Shrimpers were not to be denied for long and they opened the scoring in spectacular fashion, with Hurst netting an impressive effort.

The winger started the move by spraying the ball out on to the right flank to Ryan Auger.

His diagonal cross-field pass was then sublimely brought down by Hurst who then lofted the ball over the head of the Billericay goalkeeper Billy Lumley.

Town's shot-stopper was then forced off with what appeared to be a dislocated finger.

And, shortly after his departure, Hurst turned provider to help Southend double their lead as his well struck left wing corner was flicked home via the head of Weston at the near post.

With Blues remaining on top, Connor Clifford slamming an effort against the crossbar from 18 yards before Weston tapped home to make it 3-0 after good work by trialist winger Roman-Michael Percil down the left hand side.

Billericay soon also worked their way on to the score-sheet with Chris Webber sending an excellent effort from 25 yards in to the bottom left hand corner of the net.

Southend made just one change at the break with ex Dagenham defender Gavin Hoyte coming on to replace Ben Coker.

But the second period proved to be far less eventful.

Blues made a further 10 changes and one of the substitutes Will Atkinson came closest to scoring with a low effort that struck the left post.

Jack Payne also nearly netted before the game came to an end.

Southend United: P Smith (Bentley 56), Auger (Brown 72), Aslam (Banton 56), Prosser (White 56), Coker (Hoyte 46), Hurst (Atkinson 60), Clifford (Wilson 60), Timlin (Leonard 60), Percil (Fagan 60), Corr (Barnard 51), Weston (Payne 60)