SOUTHEND United’s FA Cup woes continued with a disappointing 1-0 defeat at League Two Yeovil Town this afternoon.

The Glovers’ Otis Khan bagged the only goal of the game from the penalty spot midway through the first half.

And his well-taken spot-kick was enough to condemn the Shrimpers to a fourth successive first round exit in the competition.

Blues boss Phil Brown selected an unchanged starting line-up for the clash at Huish Park with Anthony Wordsworth in midfield despite pre-match concerns about his fitness.

Wordsworth – who suffered two calf injuries at Walsall last weekend - sent a 20 yard effort flying inches over the crossbar following a half-cleared left-wing cross from Michael Kightly and, just moments, Simon Cox saw an effort from a similar distance tipped over the crossbar by Yeovil goalkeeper Artur Krysiak.

In reply, the Glovers had shouts for a penalty waves away when Sam Surridge went to ground while under pressure from Southend skipper Anton Ferdinand.

But Yeovil were not to be denied for long and, in the 29th minute, referee Craig Hicks pointed to the spot following a Ryan Leonard challenge on Surridge.

That allowed Khan to step forward and fire the Glovers into the lead with a well struck 12 yard shot into the bottom right hand corner of the net.

The Shrimpers soon replied with Marc-Antoine Fortune having a low shot gathered by Krysiak at the second attempt before Kightly curled a 25 yard free-kick inches wide of the left post in the closing action of the first half.

After the break, Town’s Jake Gray sent a left footed shot flashing wide of the right post before Blues hit back with Josh Wright sending Michael Timlin’s left wing cross wide of the left post.

Moments later and, with 51 minutes on the clock, Southend boss Brown made his first change of the afternoon with Nile Ranger replacing Fortune in attack.

But Yeovil still threatened next with Bevis Magabi having a firm header from Khan’s left wing corner well saved by Blues goalkeeper Mark Oxley before boss Brown responded by making a second change which saw Stephen McLaughlin replacing Wordsworth.

Shortly after the change, Simon Cox and Jason Demetriou were both denied in quick succession by Krysiak before the Glovers replied with Thomas James sending a swerving long range free-kick inches wide of the right post.

James was then involved at the other end of the pitch when he cleared a low McLaughlin effort off the goal-line before Blues made their final change of the game in the 76th minute as Jermaine McGlashan replaced Wright.

With Blues pushing for an equaliser, Ranger headed a Kightly free-kick straight at Krysiak before McLaughlin had another effort blocked right in front of goal.

The Shrimpers then had an effort ruled when a high defensive header from Kightly’s left wing corner eventually found the back of the net, only for the effort to be ruled out for a foul by Cox in the final another of another frustrating FA Cup encounter for Southend.