EAST Essex Sabres secured their first win of the season after overcoming Ipswich Cardinals.

The Sabres went into the clash having lost their opening five games of the British American Football Association Division Two East campaign.

But Lee Joseph’s side claimed a 24-17 win to move off the bottom of the standings and leapfrog their hosts.

And quarterback and receivers coach Mike Muldoon was delighted with the victory.

Muldoon said: “It was a complete team effort on all three fronts - offence, defence and special teams.

“On offence the wide receivers showed how explosive they could be, as they accumulated close to 300 yards through the air.

“However, it’s important to point out the fantastic play of the offensive lead by Matt Doughty, Llynus Caldwell, Greg Crease, Lawrence Craven, Harrison Childs and Alex Abineri, who created wide running lanes and stellar passing performance.

“Mitchell Waters was a beast in the run game. He was absolutely unstoppable, rushing for over 100 yards and scoring two touchdowns, including the game winner, with less than one minute left in the game.”

Defensive co-ordinator Kirk Beacham was also pleased to see the Sabres’ hard work pay off.

Beacham said: “It was a tremendous day for the players and the team, getting your first win under your belts is a big stepping stone.

“I couldn’t be more proud of how the whole team came together to get us this win.

“Now they should truly understand what it takes to win in this league.”

Federico Tiritera opened the scoring with a field goal, before Kyle Bury caught a 10 yard pass from quarterback Muldoon to run the ball into the end zone from five yards out.

Tight end Roderick Inglis scored the two point conversion to allow the Sabres to go in at the break 11-0 up.

The Sabres returned for the second half full of confidence and Waters soon extended the away side’s lead by notching the first of his two touchdowns.

The extra point was registered, but the Cardinals clawed their way back into the game and managed to tie the game at 17-17.

But the Sabres were not to be denied as Waters helped himself to a second touchdown with time running out for the home side.

The Cardinals had one last chance to get something out of the game as their quarterback opted to go for a Hail Mary.

But Tiritera, who had opened the scoring in the early exchanges, ended the Cardinals’ hopes and started the Sabres celebrations by registering an interception.

The Sabres were able to celebrate a 24-17 triumph and their first success since joining the division at the start of the campaign.

Joseph’s side have now moved up to fifth in the standings ahead of their clash with London Blitz B.